Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 18)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I understand the pick we gave up won't likely amount to anything but it's so frustrating. Dorion struggles to get first round picks for star players, he's going to flip Tyler Ennis and Ron Hainsey at the deadline next season for decent draft picks? Give me a break. We have a scout pretending to be a GM and CFO and it's been disastrous so far and today is just another window into that. Give up a pick to save a 3 million dollar bonus.

Could it have been worse? I guess so. I just don't see this as a successful day. People were talking up 'he's doing what we need, stockpiling picks' and now today it's 'he's signing guys to 1 year deals, who cares if he gives up draft picks, we'll get assets back at the deadline'.

It has become more and more obvious over the years that Melnyk doesn't have the money or business savvy to run a hockey franchise that doesn't shit money regardless of how they do (like Montreal or Toronto). If he had Bill Gates money he wouldn't have even bought this team, he would have bought the Leafs.

I'll give this day a C

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
If Dorion doesn’t lock Chabot up pronto, watch Colorado offer sheet him next summer. I’ll be honest, it’d be a kick in the balls.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
The Chabot offersheet is almost 90-95% likely and it’s a real bummer guys

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I understand the pick we gave up won't likely amount to anything but it's so frustrating. Dorion struggles to get first round picks for star players, he's going to flip Tyler Ennis and Ron Hainsey at the deadline next season for decent draft picks? Give me a break. We have a scout pretending to be a GM and CFO and it's been disastrous so far and today is just another window into that. Give up a pick to save a 3 million dollar bonus.

Could it have been worse? I guess so. I just don't see this as a successful day. People were talking up 'he's doing what we need, stockpiling picks' and now today it's 'he's signing guys to 1 year deals, who cares if he gives up draft picks, we'll get assets back at the deadline'.

It has become more and more obvious over the years that Melnyk doesn't have the money or business savvy to run a hockey franchise that doesn't **** money regardless of how they do (like Montreal or Toronto). If he had Bill Gates money he wouldn't have even bought this team, he would have bought the Leafs.

I'll give this day a C

For starters, the pick was a 3rd rounder, it wasnt even ours, it was the one we got for Dzingle. Whoopy-doopy-do.

We have 3 second round draft picks. Getting another first round pick usually costs 2 seconds, and you only get a late round pick. Essentially moving from 35th to 29th.

If Ennis and Hainsey have good seasons, they will return at least a 3rd. If their play is stellar, then maybe a 2nd. If competition is tight enough, you can tell the other team, "listen, we are getting an offer for a 2nd from team x, if we throw in the 2nd from Dallas, and you up your offer to a first, then he is yours."

I do agree with you because of Melnyk is terrible. That is common knowledge at this point. If you have no expectations, they cant disappoint you.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I wonder if Anderson could be a fit with columbus. With Bobrovsky leaving, and little to nothing left on the goaltending market, I could see them valuing a vet like Anderson.
It probably won't happen, but I'm hopeful. I just feel that Daccord/Gustavsson/hogberg are too good for the ECHL.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Yeah if I was Montreal, I'd throw an even bigger offer sheet at Chabot next summer if Dorion's "taking a run at signing him" doesn't end up working out (it won't).

Their biggest need is a #1 LD and he'd be absolutely perfect. If I were Bergevin I'd throw 10.5M/5YRs at him in the same format as the Aho offer sheet - a mostly front-loaded deal made up almost entirely of signing bonuses.

2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd is an easy price to pay for one of the best young D in the game, and unlike the Aho offer sheet, I think it would have a decent chance at being successful due to Melnyk.

Best case scenario you acquire a top 5 young D for far less assets than he's worth; worst case scenario you screw over a rival team and set your team up to go after a young French Canadian star when he's a UFA in 5YRs.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Or maybe they know they are serviceable stop gap players who will not get in the way of the tank and will hopefully have some value come trade deadline time.
I feel like we’ve heard this argument before.

We heard that with Ian Cole lol and what aplan that was? It helped us get Toronto to pay a bonus.

These crazy plans that some thing dorion is up to uuuuuusually amount to nothing.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
How many offer sheets do we see a season? How about in the last five years? But this is 90% - 95% certain?

You have to admit, if you're Montreal, Chabot would be a incredible target. Young Quebecer, top pairing exciting defenseman which they desperately need, getting better every year...and it completely screws over an Atlantic rival in Ottawa.

Not saying it's a certainty...but if I was the big poohbah in Montreal, I'd definitely go for it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
brown is my fav get of the day.

He is gonna be awesome in our bottom 6 with Pageau/Chlapik
If we liked him then a 3rd to Toronto is enough,but 5 years of Zaitsev????That just seems like a huge reach to not get better but to make as many moves as possible for as little dollars as we can.....This shit is exactly why the fans have and will continue to make the CTC a ghost town

Reactions: Cosmix

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You have to admit, if you're Montreal, Chabot would be a incredible target. Young Quebecer, top pairing exciting defenseman which they desperately need, getting better every year...and it completely screws over an Atlantic rival in Ottawa.

Not saying it's a certainty...but if I was the big poohbah in Montreal, I'd definitely go for it.
100% they need a top pairing LHD most of all ,and Chabot would fit there like a glove....They could offer up a huge deal with lots of money up front ,and EM will just blame Chabot...lol

Reactions: derriko

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
100% they need a top pairing LHD most of all ,and Chabot would fit there like a glove....They could offer up a huge deal with lots of money up front ,and EM will just blame Chabot...lol

Yep...and Chabot would become the biggest star in Habsland since Patrick Roy. Hell, maybe even bigger. Kid could be Karlssonesque for them in terms of getting fans excited and energizing the fanbase.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
How many offer sheets do we see a season? How about in the last five years? But this is 90% - 95% certain?

How many times does a team trade away their 4 best players within a year? When you cheer for Ottawa you have to expect the worst no matter how unlikely. I'm not gonna go as far as 90-95% but you have to admit, the odds we don't sign Chabot are alarmingly high with the ownership and management we have in place.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yep...and Chabot would become the biggest star in Habsland since Patrick Roy. Hell, maybe even bigger. Kid could be Karlssonesque for them in terms of getting fans excited and energizing the fanbase.
This is happening 100%. Melnyk will not match. The character assassination will begin shortly. My guess is that if Chabot isn't reupped by January, the Garrioch slander will begin.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Dzingel still UFA. If we could get him for 5 or under for 4-5 years that wouldn’t be too bad. He might not get more than 5x3 from any other team.

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
How many times does a team trade away their 4 best players within a year? When you cheer for Ottawa you have to expect the worst no matter how unlikely. I'm not gonna go as far as 90-95% but you have to admit, the odds we don't sign Chabot are alarmingly high with the ownership and management we have in place.
The best movies for you.
Part 1. Daccord don't sign ... Done.
Part 2. Norris don't sign ... Done.
Part 3. Chabot don't sign ... To be continued.
Show must go on... :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad