Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Countdown to countdown to the drafts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeg

Jun 16, 2015
Duclair doesnt seem to be a good enough player for a 1/1 maybe pieces added to get DeAngelo?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Hmmm...

Duclair fits the bill, as does Grigorenko...

Reilly Smith has been on a couple teams, and saw his best year in Boston...

Honestly outside of the 'couple different teams' thing, he's describing Brendan Gallagher to a T.

Buffalo has a few guys that fit the bill.

Did he say if it would be a forward?

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Who knows, there could be things going on behind the scenes that has one or both parties looking to turn the page. I think the Oilers learned a lesson last season about how important the dressing atmosphere and team bonding can impact the on-ice performance (to be clear, I'm not saying Eberle is a problem. Instead, I'm pointing out that on-ice value remains only part of the equation).

You could well be right and to be honest, it did seem like Eberle and Nuge as well were a little disconnected from the rest of the team (just a vibe I got) so it could be a case of sweeping out the old regime even more and bringing fresh blood into the group.

It's pretty clear that Eberle's time here has gone stale but that production won't be so easy to replace which is my main concern with dealing him right now. With a few other question marks, it seems like a needless move to create another question mark.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Listening to today's segment when both Stauffer and Spector were chewing the fat about Eberle, they were both hinting pretty liberally that the talk of Eberle "needing a change of scenery" was coming from the agent side of things, which would indicate that Eberle wants to move on just as much as the Oilers do.

Given that, waiting another year and looking to trade him next summer (at which time he'd be 1 year away from UFA status) might not be on the table anymore.

As for Bob's little game of 20 Questions regarding a potential return, it definitely sounded a lot like the Larsson thing last year, which makes me think he has some inside info on at least one of the trade offers Chiarelli is mulling over for Eberle, and given the hints it sounded a lot to me like a Ryan Strome/Grigorenko/Duclair type of offer. Which is kinda gross even though there are some good points to be had for each of those guys.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Hmmm...

Honestly outside of the 'couple different teams' thing, he's describing Brendan Gallagher to a T.

I think when SootheSayer listened to it again he took out the 'couple different teams' thing.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Better not be Strome. Not convinced he's a top6 player and our bottom 6 is pretty set on RW (Kass, Slepy, Pulju). I'd rather trade Eberle for picks and sign Williams/Vanek or even Vrbata/Jagr
If you are going by Stauffer's hints it won't be as he has only been on one team.

The most off-putting thing about Bob's hints are he indicated they've had a down year, have potential, and been on a few teams. Having potential is something you generally say about young players, and a young player who gets bounced around from team to team and had a down year on top of it, doesn't sound very appealing. I'm hoping it was just one other team and not a "few" and I'm hoping a down year just means didn't perform upto expectations from when they were drafted rather than their numbers cratering.

Most likely seems like it would be Duclair. I'll toss out Grigorenko and Lindberg as other possibilities. Not sexy names, but toss a pick in there and have all that extra cap space, it won't sound too awful.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Can't wait to trade Eberle for a player who is objectively worse in basically every way and doesn't actually bring any sort of different dynamic to the team.

Chia should be barred from trading with the Islanders. Garth Snow manages to be a terrible GM at everything he does except when he deals with Chiarelli. In which case Chia inevitably gets taken behind the shed and comes back for more later.

This summer it will be Ryan Strome. In a year or two we'll go out of our way to acquire Dal Colle after he's played his way out of the Islanders organization.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hopefully we can sign Foo soon so we get our young depth player. Ill wager the point difference between Foo and Strome is smaller than Eberle and Strome next year

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hmmm...

Buffalo has a few guys that fit the bill.

Did he say if it would be a forward?

Gallagher doesn't play anywhere the same type of game as Eberle does.

Guys that fit that "high skill, no grit" type of game:

Duclair
Grigorenko
Strome

And a few others.

Ideally, Tyler Toffoli. :sarcasm:

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I may have missed exactly what he said, because I was driving, but Bob dropped a long winded series of hints of the player who might be returned for Eberle. Here are the pieces I heard:

- The guy will be protected from the expansion draft
- The guy is cheaper than Eberle
- The guy has been on a few teams
- The guy is coming off a down year
- The guy has good offensive potential
- (This one I think I misheard) The guy has achieved good numbers at some point

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's about what I got from his clues.

That seems to eliminate pretty much everyone.

I assume he is mixing a jumble of thoughts there.

He could be talking a prospect but im wondering....if a player is exempt because of season IR. I mean armchair GM lists grabofski as exempt.

This intrigues me.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gallagher doesn't play anywhere the same type of game as Eberle does.

Guys that fit that "high skill, no grit" type of game:

Duclair
Grigorenko
Strome

And a few others.

Ideally, Tyler Toffoli. :sarcasm:

I took 'similar to Eberle, protected in the expansion draft' to mean he was similar to Eberle in that he'd need to be protected in the draft, rather than similar in play style.

I haven't heard it for myself but I don't get the point at all of trading Eberle for a cheaper but less proven Eberle. No reclamation projects please.

That's quite a jumble of thoughts, though. I mean outside of the cheaper than Eberle part he exactly described Zach Parise.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Can't wait to trade Eberle for a player who is objectively worse in basically every way and doesn't actually bring any sort of different dynamic to the team.

Chia should be barred from trading with the Islanders. Garth Snow manages to be a terrible GM at everything he does except when he deals with Chiarelli. In which case Chia inevitably gets bent over, thanks Snow for the pipe cleaning and comes back for more a year or two later.

This summer it will be Ryan Strome. In a year or two we'll go out of our way to acquire Dal Colle after he's played his way out of the Islanders organization.

I agree. Block Snows number. Chiarelli is a smart GM but man does he ever get stupid with Snow, even going back to Boychuck

I guess itll be nice when all the "broken" former Oilers from 2010-2015 are off this team so we can go back to getting fair value in deals, or even winning a few. Sucks to go into another offseason with Stauffer and co throwing out rumors that our guys are being dealt for a discount

Will be nice to see Chiarelli get back to dealing picks for Talbots and Maroons, and signing Bennings and Cagguilas. Vs taking his time dealing established players for nothing

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Chia should be barred from trading with the Islanders. Garth Snow manages to be a terrible GM at everything he does except when he deals with Chiarelli. In which case Chia inevitably gets taken behind the shed and comes back for more later.

If it is Ryan Strome, there is going to be more to this deal. The Islanders don't have the cap space to take Eberle's hit on entirely.

It's far from done at this point, but honestly, what do you expect Chiarelli to get for him? We need a cheaper player.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You do realize if we take a good D back we will not need to resign Russell at 4 million . So if take back a 5 million D man . We eliminate 1 million from Eberle and going with last years number 3.1 from Russell that is 4.1 million . That is enough cap space for Draisaitl raise . With Bonuses Draisaitl made 3.6 so it lets us sign him to a 7.7 million dollar deal while keeping all 19 million of our cap space . Spend another 2 on resigning a couple of our RFA . It also lets us sign a couple of UFA wingers . If we spent 9 million on the mention players it leaves 10 million for McDavid on top of his 3.6 million . I don't think it takes 13.6 to sign McDavid . With this we aren't even taking into account Vegas . If we can pay them to take Pouliot that is another 4 million .

This is the year Chia needs to make moves . Vegas coming in opens up 23 new jobs for players . We also don't have our backs against the wall . If Chia waits until next year and we really need the cap space teams are going to want to screw us

In theory, yes.

But you need to ask yourself how good of a defenseman you can return for him. The answer to that question is 'Probably not very good.' Or 'Probably pretty expensive.' Or 'Probably not much better than Kris Russell.' So now the question you need to ask yourself is 'Why the hell did I just **** away the return on Jordan Eberle for something I pretty much already had?'

It's a matter of asset management as well as cap management.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
If it is Ryan Strome, there is going to be more to this deal. The Islanders don't have the cap space to take Eberle's hit on entirely.

It's far from done at this point, but honestly, what do you expect Chiarelli to get for him? We need a cheaper player.

Oh come on you'd love nothing more than the Oilers to get Strome. You've been tooting his horn for months. :P

I just don't see the fit for the player. He's not good enough to play 2nd line and take tougher matchups with RNH, is too soft to play 3rd line at C or RW the way it's shaping up, and there's no way he comes in and plays #1 RW after coming off two 30 point seasons.

If we're going to get a cheaper 30 point player - and thats what we have to assume he is at this point - we'd need to be looking at a guy like Craig Smith for example.

Also sidebar - who here knew Gabriel Landeskog had 33 points last season? Woof. He got outscored by Mark Letestu.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
To be honest, when I was listening to the segment I didn't hear anything about the 'couple different teams' thing either.

Yes, I misheard that part. I was listening while I was driving and clearly filled in the blanks with my own thoughts. I updated what I heard a few posts back. My mistake.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
In theory, yes.

But you need to ask yourself how good of a defenseman you can return for him. The answer to that question is 'Probably not very good.' Or 'Probably pretty expensive.' Or 'Probably not much better than Kris Russell.' So now the question you need to ask yourself is 'Why the hell did I just **** away the return on Jordan Eberle for something I pretty much already had?'

It's a matter of asset management as well as cap management.

The forwards listed above (Strome, Grigs, Duclair) are of the Cagguila/Slepyshev level tho. Bottom 6 skill guys, 25-30 points. Can also find these guys in UFA

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Can I at least get credit for cracking the hints if it is Duclair or Grigorenko? :laugh:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The forwards listed above (Strome, Grigs, Duclair) are of the Cagguila/Slepyshev level tho. Bottom 6 skill guys, 25-30 points. Can also find these guys in UFA

We have this tendency on here to over-rate certain players based on small sample sizes. Slepyshev and Caggiula are a couple of them--Pitlick another. The first two had a phenomenal playoffs. But prepare to see some of these types of guys turn into pumpkins next year--a childhood reference if it goes over your head... The playoffs are a completely different monster than the regular season. Look at Fernando Pisani as a glaring example.

Caggiula put up 18 points last year, Slepyshev 10. Strome is the same frigging age as both of them and he has a 50 point season under his belt.

Come on, people. Common sense.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Sounds a lot like Duclair to me. Maybe you can do Duclair + 23rd overall and then move the additional 1st for Barrie or Vatanen? I don't know, just spitballing here.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We have this tendency on here to over-rate certain players based on small sample sizes. Slepyshev and Caggiula are a couple of them--Pitlick another. The first two had a phenomenal playoffs. But prepare to see some of them turn into pumpkins next year--a childhood reference if it goes over your head...

Caggiula put up 18 points last year, Slepyshev 10. Strome is the same frigging age as both of them and he has a 50 point season under his belt.

Come on, people. Common sense.

Duclair also had a 20 goal season at age 20. It's hard to say with young forwards. Some of them peak really early and don't really ever get back to the same level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad