Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Look at it like this:

Had the Predators taken Nishuskin (because they need offense), and Canes still take Lindholm, do you think the Flames select Jones over Monahan?

I don't think they do if it means trading down a couple of spots in the next draft.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
So 8 games in with Tyler Wotherspoon. What do you guys think so far?

I thought last night was his best so far. Some real nice defensive plays. Maybe he stays up the rest of the season? Challenges for a spot next year?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Look at it like this:

Had the Predators taken Nishuskin (because they need offense), and Canes still take Lindholm, do you think the Flames select Jones over Monahan?

I completely get what you are saying, but you can't change the past. The fact is we have Money now, and he's done very well. If anything, you want to add similar players like Monahan at different positions, but the same age. Even though Jones still may be a higher end player, if we lose Monahan, we now go back to having a huge hole for our future #1C spot. If Monahan was in this draft, I'm quite confident he would be going top 3. I would rather add Baertschi, and our 1st this year to get Jones and keep Monahan.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
So 8 games in with Tyler Wotherspoon. What do you guys think so far?

I thought last night was his best so far. Some real nice defensive plays. Maybe he stays up the rest of the season? Challenges for a spot next year?

He's been very good. Should definitely challenge seriously for a spot next year, but I think he'll be sent down this season to help the Heat for the playoffs.

Wouldn't be surprised if by the end of next season he makes Smid expendable.

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014
Wasn't it also confirmed that Feaster offered all 3 firsts for the 1st overall?

Sooooooo, that means Feaster tried to trade Monahan, Poirier and Klimchuk for Monahan!

If Feaster seriously offered all 3 firsts for #1 overall, it would have only been to get MacKinnon, regardless of his comments after the fact.. and frankly, I'm glad he was refused if that was indeed the case.

Aug 3, 2010
He's been very good. Should definitely challenge seriously for a spot next year, but I think he'll be sent down this season to help the Heat for the playoffs.

Wouldn't be surprised if by the end of next season he makes Smid expendable.

Fairly certain Butler's leaving in the offseason as a UFA so it would open up a spot regardless - no reason to get rid of Smid, he's on a decent contract for what he brings and seems to be a good locker-room guy. No reason to move Smid unless a player like Ekblad comes in, but even then the Flames want veterans with their youth.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Yotes fan coming in peace. Any ideas on Hudler's future as a Flame? He's on a good contract, productive, and I think would be a good scoring winger for Ribeiro. But is he one of the vets that Burke wants to (re)build around moving forward? And if Hudler were available, what would Calgary want?

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Yotes fan coming in peace. Any ideas on Hudler's future as a Flame? He's on a good contract, productive, and I think would be a good scoring winger for Ribeiro. But is he one of the vets that Burke wants to (re)build around moving forward? And if Hudler were available, what would Calgary want?

Defenseman or power forward that's young. I'd love to see Michael Stone back in cowtown. Or Gormley. My pick would be to Anaheim in a deal that brings Hampus Lindholm here.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Defenseman or power forward that's young. I'd love to see Michael Stone back in cowtown. Or Gormley. My pick would be to Anaheim in a deal that brings Hampus Lindholm here.

I don't think they'd even think about that. They aren't really that strong on the back end. Lots of youth.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm not really interested in Stone, we have a similar player in Wotherspoon now. Gormley would catch my attention though. We could also shop Hudler to NJ, they have lots of good D prospects as well.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not really interested in Stone, we have a similar player in Wotherspoon now. Gormley would catch my attention though. We could also shop Hudler to NJ, they have lots of good D prospects as well.

I would say Wotherspoon doesn't have the offensive upside that Stone has (and Stone clearly has realized that upside into production this year). Plus, I think Stone is much more physical.

Wotherspoon will probably be an okay 3rd pairing defenseman at his peak who can PK. Stone is already a decent 3rd pairing RHD who could be a Top 4 defender in a couple of years years, and is already playing PK and producing on the PP with that cannon of his.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I would say Wotherspoon doesn't have the offensive upside that Stone has (and Stone clearly has realized that upside into production this year). Plus, I think Stone is much more physical.

Wotherspoon will probably be an okay 3rd pairing defenseman at his peak who can PK. Stone is already a decent 3rd pairing RHD who could be a Top 4 defender in a couple of years years, and is already playing PK and producing on the PP with that cannon of his.

Wotherspoon isn't overly physical, but he should become an awesome shutdown dman and will likely play his way into our top 4 in 2-3 seasons. While I don't expect him to ever develop into an offensive dman in the NHL, he really developed that aspect of his game his last season on the Hawks so I think it's fair to expect about 20-25pts from him down the road. While Stone is a very good young player, I'd be looking for a guy like Gormley if we moved Hudler.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Wotherspoon isn't overly physical, but he should become an awesome shutdown dman and will likely play his way into our top 4 in 2-3 seasons. While I don't expect him to ever develop into an offensive dman in the NHL, he really developed that aspect of his game his last season on the Hawks so I think it's fair to expect about 20-25pts from him down the road. While Stone is a very good young player, I'd be looking for a guy like Gormley if we moved Hudler.

I think if Maloney was going to move Gomley, it'd be for a younger forward not yet in his prime, w/ top 6 upside. As it stands, Gormley is on the cusp of breaking into our blueline full-time next year, and I don't think Maloney has interest in moving him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gormley is really good, I get not wanting to move him. But he's behind OEL, Connor and Stone right now who are also young players. Hudler is not old and he's in his prime, he would be playing in your top 6 so I think such a move would be justified.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Gormley is really good, I get not wanting to move him. But he's behind OEL, Connor and Stone right now who are also young players. Hudler is not old and he's in his prime, he would be playing in your top 6 so I think such a move would be justified.

Well technically since Gormley is a lefty he'd be behind both OEL and Yandle, as Murphy and Stone are RHDs.

Not saying Hudler is old, and he's been producing well as a go-to guy for offense for the Flames. But you have to remember that Gormley fell into Maloney's lap in 2010 and he essentially couldn't run fast enough to the podium to take him. Gormley was coveted and has developed into the OEL-lite blueliner we wanted him to be, at least in the AHL. Trading him now right especially within a division, is very un-Maloney like and could haunt us for years to come.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Any way we could get a first for Hudler? Something like Hudler+2nd/ 3rd for PHX 1st?

Maybe if we made the playoffs and our pick somehow ended up in the 20s. But that just got a lot harder with us losing Smith potentially for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad