Speculation: Trade Rumors and Proposals Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...gger-train-wreck-trending-165652454--nhl.html

Already carneys like Ray Shero must be chuckling up their sleeves at this sap coming up the midway with a fistful of good, smaller prospects who can be parted from them with the promise of a few fights. Deryk Engelland and a third-round pick for 5-foot-11 and out-of-favor Sven Baertschi is a trade that is not at this time inconceivable.

Not a Flames fan; am a Penguins fan. Will not clean up your vomit after reading. I'm just assuming that the vultures will be circling on the trade boards armed with this bit of non-insider "info."

Engelland, for those unaware, is a #6/7 RHS physical defenseman that has spent time at forward this year because he's not particularly good at most things. Serviceable for short periods, but can't be trusted in big situations. Probably better as a right wing enforcer to be honest.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...gger-train-wreck-trending-165652454--nhl.html

Not a Flames fan; am a Penguins fan. Will not clean up your vomit after reading. I'm just assuming that the vultures will be circling on the trade boards armed with this bit of non-insider "info."

Engelland, for those unaware, is a #6/7 RHS physical defenseman that has spent time at forward this year because he's not particularly good at most things. Serviceable for short periods, but can't be trusted in big situations. Probably better as a right wing enforcer to be honest.

In the age of the internet and blogs, the line between professional writer and troll is getting more and more blurry. This guy is clearly writing for one purpose and one purpose alone, and that is to create a reaction.

Oh, and go figure, no comment section, so he doesn't actually have to hear criticism.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

it's a smear piece against the Flames organization. You can tell that from the start. The writer is not any sort of insider, just someone with a vendetta against the Flames and it's clear in the first couple paragraphs.

edit - I should have looked at the author. Ryan Lambert is a joke, he is a blogger that Yahoo hired to do no more than stir things up.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Lambert, aside from being mostly a joke, doesn't have any inside connections to anyone in the NHL I believe. He's just taking pot shots at the Flames, some deserved, but most ill-informed.

But everyone really is overreacting to Burke saying he wants the team to get bigger. First and foremost, Burke biggest strength is his trading ability, so for anyone to suggest we're about to see the Flames' best and most skilled prospects traded away for peanuts is bizarre. If Burke does trade away Baertschi, it can at least be expected he'll get a good return in the process, as opposed to just someone big and slow.

Secondly, the Flames are indeed small and it's completely unrealistic to expect to the team moving forward to have a top-six or even a top-nine with Cammalleri, Gaudreau, Hudler and Baertschi on it (where the latter would be the biggest of those mentioned at 5'11"). Changes are inevitable, most likely with Cammalleri and one of the other three being moved.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm actually reading the article, and I came across this gem:

Feaster, too, was overly enamored with the idea that toughness and big strong guys and never having the puck so you can hit the crap out of your opponent every time they come across the blue line and get a shot off.

Feaster's problem was clearly that he made this team too tough and unskilled.

k6vCUYy.gif

EDIT: There's more. The guy is actually writing paragraphs on how the NHL is now all about speed and skill, and that making your team big is no longer the way to win games! I honestly think this piece is below hockeybuzz in terms of credibility. Maybe not below Eklund, but below hockeybuzz's team writers.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Ugh, Yahoo/Puck Daddy is becoming more and more like the Fox news + National Enquirer of sports blogging. No taste whatsoever.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Burke leaves door open for select smaller skilled players (such as Johnny Gaudreau) to play for Flames
Brian Burke insists he isn’t anti-small.

He’s simply pro-big.

“There’s plenty of room for small players in our game,†contended the Calgary Flames ‘acting’ general manager/president of hockey operations. “All these teams that are competitive have small players. What I’m saying is you need some beef around them.â€

. . .

“I sent a text to the coach (Jerry York) of Boston College,†Burke countered. “I said: Make sure you tell your players we still love ’em. There’s a couple guys there we drafted (Gaudreau and centre Bill Arnold). One of them’s quite small, the Gaudreau kid. But he’s quite gifted as well. There’s room for the small player in our game, but you’d better surround him with some beef.

“The bottom six forwards are easier to fill out, the black and blue part of your team, rather than the skill part. So there’s plenty of room for skill guys. Everyone says ‘You have big teams’ . . . this and that. But I’ve had some pretty good players play for me, too. Highly-skilled players I placed great value on. Guys like Bure, Naslund, Sedin, Teemu Selanne. I have lots of room for skill guys.

“Anyone can paint a barn, but you need a special person to paint a masterpiece.â€
Link

Hopefully, this puts a bit of a damper on all the fearmongering and knee jerk proposals.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
According to Dreger, the Leafs are looking for a top 6 centremen and are shopping Gardiner.

You think Stajan is a good fit?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
According to Dreger, the Leafs are looking for a top 6 centremen and are shopping Gardiner.

I dunno, I just can't see him wearing a Leafs jersey. :sarcasm:

Actually, yeah, I think it makes a tonne of sense. They could use someone who plays a strong two-way game, and he fits the bill for sure.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I dunno, I just can't see him wearing a Leafs jersey. :sarcasm:

Actually, yeah, I think it makes a tonne of sense. They could use someone who plays a strong two-way game, and he fits the bill for sure.

Wow, you even went metric.

They desperately need a centre. I kind of hope Burke drives the price up on them. I really want to fleece Toronto

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

He would be a good fit but given how the fans have talked about since he left I doubt he would want to play there and I doubt Nonis would bring him back. If Stajan is traded I am willing to put money on it being either Anaheim or Vancouver both are also former teams (since thats Burkes MO) but they don't have a history with Stajan and are also closer to the cup with Stajan than the Leafs are.

I think Backlund makes the most sense for TO. I would bet it ends up into Backlund for Gardiner much like Burke traded Schenn for JVR.

Most of the time when a young player is traded 1 for 1 it ends up being a steal for one team and the other team takes a worse player at a position of weakness. So I know that this idea goes against the norm but what about a 3 team trade

Isle:
Riemer

Leafs:
Backlund + Culkin

Flames:
Pulock

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He would be a good fit but given how the fans have talked about since he left I doubt he would want to play there and I doubt Nonis would bring him back. If Stajan is traded I am willing to put money on it being either Anaheim or Vancouver both are also former teams (since thats Burkes MO) but they don't have a history with Stajan and are also closer to the cup with Stajan than the Leafs are.

I think Backlund makes the most sense for TO. I would bet it ends up into Backlund for Gardiner much like Burke traded Schenn for JVR.

Most of the time when a young player is traded 1 for 1 it ends up being a steal for one team and the other team takes a worse player at a position of weakness. So I know that this idea goes against the norm but what about a 3 team trade

Isle:
Riemer

Leafs:
Backlund + Culkin

Flames:
Pulock

Very creative. I'm not sure how it helps us. We would have Pulock, Berra and Ramo, and then be out Backlund and Stajan (at the deadline). Weaken our weakest area to strengthen our strongest?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Isle:
Riemer

Leafs:
Backlund + Culkin

Flames:
Pulock

As much as I love Backlund, I would do that in a heartbeat. Pulock is going to be a stud.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I always go metric.

Stajan for Phaneuf straight up?
You know what they say when you go metric you never go back..... to imperial?

Okay so I got nothing, I am so ashamed :facepalm:

I am a Stajan supporter, but I do not believe he is what qualifies as a "top 6 centre". I believe him to be a very good #3 centre. I don't think he could land Gardiner straight up even with Burke doing the trading.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Very creative. I'm not sure how it helps us. We would have Pulock, Berra and Ramo, and then be out Backlund and Stajan (at the deadline). Weaken our weakest area to strengthen our strongest?

I saw your 2nd post so I won't mock :laugh:

I think it makes sense for all 3 teams, the Isles slightly overpay for a starting goalie their biggest need (Snow has given up more for less), Toronto might feel like they could get a better package for Riemer but I doubt they get a player better than Backlund that can help now, Obviously it gives us another defensive prospect (also he is right handed) and a guy that I am very big on. We probably would need to add a pick to the Isles from us but I think it atleast attempts to solve the biggest problems on all 3 teams.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
I saw your 2nd post so I won't mock :laugh:

I think it makes sense for all 3 teams, the Isles slightly overpay for a starting goalie their biggest need (Snow has given up more for less), Toronto might feel like they could get a better package for Riemer but I doubt they get a player better than Backlund that can help now, Obviously it gives us another defensive prospect (also he is right handed) and a guy that I am very big on. We probably would need to add a pick to the Isles from us but I think it atleast attempts to solve the biggest problems on all 3 teams.

Pulock also pairs with Eric Roy on the Wheat Kings. Could continue their chemistry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->