Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals - 13/14 - XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fuhr*

If we didn't make that trade, we wouldn't have made the playoffs last year. Methot was our best dman, and is our 2nd best now that Karlsson is back. Foligno was like our 5th or 6th best forward, and despite the point totals was just another support player that's easier to replace than a top pairing dman.

My point of contention is not the value Methot brought... He was fantastic

But in the way the player was obtained... If a Methot type talent could have been acquired without moving Foligno.

Foligno in all honesty should have been a core piece... If we needed a stop gap guy on D players like Derek Morris / Zbynek Michalek are always available if you have some money... Old aging vets making 3.5

Frank Moses

Feb 3, 2014
Hmmm........

Read the last line again. Whether it's due to the numerous injuries he has suffered throughout his career or simply regression because of age, Spezza is not the offensive player he once was.

Spezza's PPG is the lowest it has been since his rookie season.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Then why is this team looking for a top six forward right now? Mainly a LW?

Foligno was only 24 when dealt... 26 now

Was there any long term thinking done? Seems like team is just spinning its wheels... I just hope if the team trades for a top six forward we don't move a D... Then a few months from now be looking for a similar D the team just traded

Are you seriously suggesting we should not have traded Foligno for Methot? Last season you compared Methot to a prime Robyn Regehr.

You're reaching with these criticisms and your logic is seriously faulty. If this team trades MacArthur for Keith Yandle, we create a huge hole in our offense and we need to replace him. If we go on to trade Wiercioch for Matt Moulson are we "spinning our wheels"? I think you know the answer.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
My point of contention is not the value Methot brought... He was fantastic

But in the way the player was obtained... If a Methot type talent could have been acquired without moving Foligno.

Foligno in all honesty should have been a core piece... If we needed a stop gap guy on D players like Derek Morris / Zbynek Michalek are always available if you have some money... Old aging vets making 3.5

The two parts I bolded are incorrect. Getting Methot was going to cost us a piece that CBJ needed, which was a winger. I think you realize that what other teams want factors into trades.

I bolded the part about Foligno being a core piece because he actually had the chance to be just that, but he really did not take advantage of opportunities he was given when injuries came up. Yes, his point production was on par, but the team did not believe he played well when he actually filled on the top six (due to injuries) and against top level opponents.

I also think that BM got tired of his running over goalies act after a while too, but that is speculation on my part.

In any event, top 4 D are almost always worth more than second line wingers. I think you know this general rule. We had a hole in our D and paid a fair price to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->