Helene St. James Trade Quincey

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm going to be in my own little boat here, but I think Kyle Quincey can get going on another team. He's skilled. He's in a bad position. He's been forced into a defensive defenseman spot, and he was not in Los Angeles or Colorado.
I think he can be better somewhere else too, but I don't know about 'skilled'. Plenty of times he has been in great scoring positions and sent a soft little excuse for a slapper into the chest of the goalie, or made a bad pass. He doesn't have much in terms of offensive instincts. Just the other game he was in on a 3 on 1 with the puck and made a bad shot killing the opportunity instead of passing.

He's just not a very good player. Don't think another team will want to take a chance on him either sadly.

crashman

I'm going to be in my own little boat here, but I think Kyle Quincey can get going on another team. He's skilled. He's in a bad position. He's been forced into a defensive defenseman spot, and he was not in Los Angeles or Colorado.

I agree somewhat. The Wings tried to make him something he's not. And he was exposed. Trading him to a bottom feeder team would make sense. I just don't think it will happen due to his poor play in the role he was given with this team.

I agree.

It's like he was brought in to replace Stuart, he just hasn't made the transition to a shut-down defenseman like Babcock is trying to turn him into.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

You might be right, but that doesn't mean that there is necessarily a market for him. Most of the teams with cap space to take him suck, and really have no need for an UFA to be like Q. We need a playoff contender to have a rash of serious injuries.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How often do playoff teams trade away under-30 year old top 6 players at the deadline? The Wings weren't sellers when Filppula and Hudler were UFAs, so why sell?

And what do you think you could get for their rights? Especially when The Wings were reported to be in contract talks with Filppula before July 1st. You sure aren't going to get a Brent Burns return.

For the record, I am not suggesting NOT to trade their rights before July 1st. But it is much dumber to keep Quincey for the playoffs and get nothing (which you would get a higher price at the deadline if someone actually wants him) than to keep Fil and Huds for the playoffs and not get a small return for them.

Sometimes players walk for nothing. It happens to every team. Quincey is an asset you gave up a first round pick for a year ago. You have to try and recuperate that loss somehow.

how often do aging playoff teams not resign their young top six players?

to me that question is the only one that matters,

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
To me you are moving the goalposts.

not at all,

if the organization felt that losing hudler or filppula for the playoffs would be so detrimental then one would think losing them forever just a few months later would see that loss even more magnified, no?

playoff teams do move parts they dont plan to resign(see san jose 2013) and rarely do playoff teams choose to not resign young top 6 players(see hudler and filppula)

if the organization didnt feel like either of those two was essential to our long term success then their loss or their impact on our short term success would be mitigated by the assets they would bring back(a 1st rd pick, a couple seconds perhaps, etc, etc)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
if the organization felt that losing hudler or filppula for the playoffs would be so detrimental then one would think losing them forever just a few months later would see that loss even more magnified,

This is a great point, in my opinion.

To add to this... Is he not talking to these guys regularly and putting out feelers to see where they stand with their next contract as well.

All things considered, there's absolutely no good excuse for Holland to walk away empty handed with those two guys.

Look at Ray Shero. Knew Jordan Staals contract coming up. Knew he was most likely going to price himself out of Pittsburgh. Goes out and gets himself a nice package for someone he could have lost for nothing. Nice PROACTIVE GM'ing. Also helps when you have some balls.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
not at all,

if the organization felt that losing hudler or filppula for the playoffs would be so detrimental then one would think losing them forever just a few months later would see that loss even more magnified, no?

It would be detrimental at the deadline because other than with a trade there would be no way to fill the holes made by those players after losing them. This would still be with time to go in the season and if you don't have sufficient players eating up minutes then your team will be worse for a season which has already started but not finished. Prior to July 1st you have multiple opportunities to fill that hole, through free agency, trading, and what you see in training camp. Don't forget the Wings had offered Filppula a contract and did make an attempt to sign him.

So no.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
This is a great point, in my opinion.

To add to this... Is he not talking to these guys regularly and putting out feelers to see where they stand with their next contract as well.

All things considered, there's absolutely no good excuse for Holland to walk away empty handed with those two guys.

Look at Ray Shero. Knew Jordan Staals contract coming up. Knew he was most likely going to price himself out of Pittsburgh. Goes out and gets himself a nice package for someone he could have lost for nothing. Nice PROACTIVE GM'ing. Also helps when you have some balls.

Staal wasn't an impending UFA when the trade was made. Shero had also attempted to sign him that previous off-season but was rejected, which immediately brought him to make a trade.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Staal wasn't an impending UFA when the trade was made. Shero had also attempted to sign him that previous off-season but was rejected, which immediately brought him to make a trade.

You're right. Fair enough.

I'm just surprised. Like was holland completely caught off guard both these guys wanted 4+mil? Was he not talking to them along the way?

You should know if these guys are going to price themselves off the team or not. If you feel like they're going to you gotta get something for them.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
You're right. Fair enough.

I'm just surprised. Like was holland completely caught off guard both these guys wanted 4+mil? Was he not talking to them along the way?

You should know if these guys are going to price themselves off the team or not. If you feel like they're going to you gotta get something for them.

Is there any information as to what Holland had offered Filppula in terms of dollars before being rejected? I heard he offered him six or seven years, but nothing in terms of how much per year.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Is there any information as to what Holland had offered Filppula in terms of dollars before being rejected? I heard he offered him six or seven years, but nothing in terms of how much per year.

I remember hearing they offered around $4.75 per year, IIRC.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Maybe we can get lucky if Daley is out for an extended period of time in Dallas and see if they'd like a Vet dman instead of rolling 2-3 rookies.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
It would be detrimental at the deadline because other than with a trade there would be no way to fill the holes made by those players after losing them. This would still be with time to go in the season and if you don't have sufficient players eating up minutes then your team will be worse for a season which has already started but not finished. Prior to July 1st you have multiple opportunities to fill that hole, through free agency, trading, and what you see in training camp. Don't forget the Wings had offered Filppula a contract and did make an attempt to sign him.

So no.

i just dont know how big of holes the organization felt those players would be leaving behind given the lack of intensity to try and fill them immediately after when they did leave with simmilar aged and skilled players(ex, sens lose alffie and wham 2hrs later trade for ryan, wings lose hudler and wham two years later we bring up tatar?)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
After thinking about it some more, I think Fil and Hudler just wanted out of Detroit. For their own reasons.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
i just dont know how big of holes the organization felt those players would be leaving behind given the lack of intensity to try and fill them immediately after when they did leave with simmilar aged and skilled players(ex, sens lose alffie and wham 2hrs later trade for ryan, wings lose hudler and wham two years later we bring up tatar?)

Hudler: Holland attempted to sign Suter and Parise.
Filppula: Holland signed Alfredsson and Weiss.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Cleary can play up and down the lineup bro :laugh:

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
the parise offer was a joke, though.

they offered 73min for cap hit of 5.6 mil or so. no way he would've accepted that when he had 100+mil offers on the table.

Where did you get that? I was under the impression they went 90+ million on him.

Nevermind, I found it. Either way, they at least tried to get him for cheap and did send a lot of money Suter's way, who was assumed to become a Wing until the last minute.

NyquistIsMyGod*

You guys wanted the Wings to offer Parise that amount of money? You're ****ing crazy and beyond that. I was so glad that the Wings didn't sign Parise. He's worth about 7.5M now, and maybe for 2 years more. After that, his contract will be haunting. His style doesn't last too long in the league and he's dealt with serious injuries.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
no, didn't want them to offer that contract to parise, even in hindsight. great player and would help wings a ton now but i don't think his legs will last till the ends of his deal. i think he will be worth that cap hit for longer than 2 years. the best garbage scorer in the league and one of the best forecheckers.

i wanted semin that offseason.

i'm just saying that wings didn't really want him that bad either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->