Helene St. James Trade Quincey

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Why is it so hard to look higher up in the thread? I said nothing about getting anything for Quincey's rights, I was talking about how in the past we have let others walk for free BECAUSE it was brought up. :rant:

Because we are pretty much cup contenders every year. Cup contenders generally don't sell pieces at the trade deadline regardless if their contracts are up after the season. The only teams that would be interested in acquiring players on expiring contracts are the teams who will be in the playoffs. It's like basically suggesting we should trade our expiring contracts and make our team weaker (while making our opponents stronger) when the deadline roles around so we can get a few trivial assets like some mid to late round draft picks instead of trying to win the SC. Is that what you are trying to say? Or am I way off?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Welcome to the party Detroit Free Press. You're only about a year too late.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Because we are pretty much cup contenders every year. Cup contenders generally don't sell pieces at the trade deadline regardless if their contracts are up after the season. The only teams that would be interested in acquiring players on expiring contracts are the teams who will be in the playoffs. It's like basically suggesting we should trade our expiring contracts and make our team weaker (while making our opponents stronger) when the deadline roles around so we can get a few trivial assets like some mid to late round draft picks instead of trying to win the SC. Is that what you are trying to say? Or am I way off?

I know how rebuilds and contenders work. I never said anything about trading them at the deadline, ArGarBarGar did. I was talking about Hudler/Flip prior to July 1st.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I was just went to check some of my fantasy hockey teams that I've neglected. Who's sitting on that waiver wire? Edler. -12, 1 G, 2 A. And people wanna trade a 1st, Tatar and Smith for this clown? We got an Edler, his name is Kyle. Q is only -9. I know +/- isn't the greatest barometer. But seriously. We ***** about out D-men then I heard about how Edler would be a great fit here for a pirates booty of players, pick and prospect? Give me a break.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I was just went to check some of my fantasy hockey teams that I've neglected. Who's sitting on that waiver wire? Edler. -12, 1 G, 2 A. And people wanna trade a 1st, Tatar and Smith for this clown?

Please provide a link to a thread where someone said they'd give that up for Edler. I am not saying no one here would propose that, I just want some ammo when they make another ridiculous suggestion. :D

Kenneh will eventually get Edler though, he loves the one who got away. Just look at Quincey for proof. :shakehead

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Please provide a link to a thread where someone said they'd give that up for Edler. I am not saying no one here would propose that, I just want some ammo when they make another ridiculous suggestion. :D

Kenneh will eventually get Edler though, he loves the one who got away. Just look at Quincey for proof. :shakehead

No one proposed giving up that package. I was just going off what the Wings allegedly offered for Edler in the offseason. Someone did say they would package Tatar in a deal for him though. I just find it silly that some people would be willing to trade Tatar for Edler.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
No one proposed giving up that package. I was just going off what the Wings allegedly offered for Edler in the offseason. Someone did say they would package Tatar in a deal for him though. I just find it silly that some people would be willing to trade Tatar for Edler.

Oh, OK. :laugh:

Carry on then. ;)

NyquistIsMyGod*

I was just went to check some of my fantasy hockey teams that I've neglected. Who's sitting on that waiver wire? Edler. -12, 1 G, 2 A. And people wanna trade a 1st, Tatar and Smith for this clown? We got an Edler, his name is Kyle. Q is only -9. I know +/- isn't the greatest barometer. But seriously. We ***** about out D-men then I heard about how Edler would be a great fit here for a pirates booty of players, pick and prospect? Give me a break.

I think Alex Edler would be a great fit, but you're right. Like I said, why give up such a big package? Why aquire another defenseman? I could understand Quincey for another expiring UFA, but the top three is set.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
The truth is that if Jimmy was playing like he did last year. I don't think anyone would really be upset about the D with DD coming back. We were all feeling really good about the Wings lately then Z got hurt and we saw the results last game. If Jimmy plays better last game there's a good chance we win and the panic doesn't ensue.

Brandel*

The truth is that if Jimmy was playing like he did last year. I don't think anyone would really be upset about the D with DD coming back. We were all feeling really good about the Wings lately then Z got hurt and we saw the results last game. If Jimmy plays better last game there's a good chance we win and the panic doesn't ensue.

I don't really see any panic. We just know there are ways we can improve our team and we want to fallow through on them.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't really see any panic. We just know there are ways we can improve our team and we want to fallow through on them.

If Dats, Z, DD and Helm can come back relatively soon and Jimmy starts playing better. We should be fine. Our division sucks. It's up to the coaches to put the players in a position to succeed. And it's up to management to unload the useless somehow and bring up the young, energy fueled players with skill to complete the rest of the roster.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013

Edler has 3 G, 6 A but he is -12...Edler is a much better offensive player than quincey. He's usually around .5 PPG. Defensively he's about the same as quincey. Wings could certainly use Edler's point shot.... but not at the cost of Tatar and a 1st. Quincey and a 1st for Edler would be very tempting. Really hate trading high draft picks so I'd still be somewhat hesitant considering Edler's price tag and we have Sproul (the prototypical OD) who should be ready in a year or two.

NyquistIsMyGod*

I'm going to be in my own little boat here, but I think Kyle Quincey can get going on another team. He's skilled. He's in a bad position. He's been forced into a defensive defenseman spot, and he was not in Los Angeles or Colorado.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'm going to be in my own little boat here, but I think Kyle Quincey can get going on another team. He's skilled. He's in a bad position. He's been forced into a defensive defenseman spot, and he was not in Los Angeles or Colorado.

I agree somewhat. The Wings tried to make him something he's not. And he was exposed. Trading him to a bottom feeder team would make sense. I just don't think it will happen due to his poor play in the role he was given with this team.

XxTatar21SaucexX

MotownShowdown
Sep 3, 2012
Why not try to get Meszaros by trading Quincey, a prospect and/or a pick? Meszaros' contract ends at the end of this season and we could pay him something similar to Quincey, probably a little higher (4, 4.5). I think he would be a great fit to the team.

On top of that he plays right D so we could pair him up with Kronwall. That would be a great combo.

Last edited:

XxTatar21SaucexX

MotownShowdown
Sep 3, 2012
Disregard what I said. It seems like he is not the Meszaros from a few years ago after reading up on the Flyers' board. His recent injuries have really hampered his play it seems.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

It is worth noting Kyle Quincey's tenure in Colorado didn't end all that well. He was regressing before he left, most just felt he was angry over the scratching deal and being mishandled by a bad coach. That logic probably won't be the case when he hits the market this time. He is at best a reclamation project at this point and with bigger warnings, you are hoping you can turn that offensive part of him back on and that he won't rock the boat or suck this badly if it isn't going well from the start. I don't think he is crashing out of the league and he has been wise to keep quiet about this unlike Ian White, but Quincey has some serious issues to address in his game if he wants to stay in this league much longer, his next contract is his last if he doesn't.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wasn't Holland talking to Filppula up until the Weiss deal? Same with Brunner until the deadline. A 7th rounder in Detroit isn't a giveaway, but generally trading rights doesn't happen much. We knew Brad Stuart wasn't returning so he was dealt for a pick. He had value too.

I remember a quote from Babcock earlier this season about the Wings having a 7 year offer to Flip on the table before free agency started,but I'm not sure how much they courted him once they could move on.

It is worth noting Kyle Quincey's tenure in Colorado didn't end all that well. He was regressing before he left, most just felt he was angry over the scratching deal and being mishandled by a bad coach. That logic probably won't be the case when he hits the market this time. He is at best a reclamation project at this point and with bigger warnings, you are hoping you can turn that offensive part of him back on and that he won't rock the boat or suck this badly if it isn't going well from the start. I don't think he is crashing out of the league and he has been wise to keep quiet about this unlike Ian White, but Quincey has some serious issues to address in his game if he wants to stay in this league much longer, his next contract is his last if he doesn't.

Quincey's never been a bit even strength producer, though. He's usually been better than he has here, but a good chunk of his points came from the powerplay. Take him off of that, and we're looking at a guy we should probably only expect 12-17 points out of at even strength. If anyone wants points out of him, they're going to have to feed him powerplay time.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013

He's not worth anywhere near what he's being paid. When we have cap issues this becomes all the more clear. Quincey, Sammy, Cleary eating up a lot of cap space and producing nothing just puts a magnifying glass on them

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
yah thats never benefitted a team before:shakehead
How often do playoff teams trade away under-30 year old top 6 players at the deadline? The Wings weren't sellers when Filppula and Hudler were UFAs, so why sell?

I know how rebuilds and contenders work. I never said anything about trading them at the deadline, ArGarBarGar did. I was talking about Hudler/Flip prior to July 1st.

And what do you think you could get for their rights? Especially when The Wings were reported to be in contract talks with Filppula before July 1st. You sure aren't going to get a Brent Burns return.

For the record, I am not suggesting NOT to trade their rights before July 1st. But it is much dumber to keep Quincey for the playoffs and get nothing (which you would get a higher price at the deadline if someone actually wants him) than to keep Fil and Huds for the playoffs and not get a small return for them.

Sometimes players walk for nothing. It happens to every team. Quincey is an asset you gave up a first round pick for a year ago. You have to try and recuperate that loss somehow.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad