Trade proposed in Mock Draft...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
I proposed this deal between the New York Rangers and Florida Panthers in a 2005 NHL entry draft...mock draft. Just want some opinions on this deal.

To New York = Stephen Weiss, Petr Taticek, Kristian Huselius, Mike Van Ryan, and 2nd rounder in 2005 (31st overall in mock) or 2006.

To Florida = Henrik Lundqvist, Jamie Lundmark, Nigel Dawes, and 2005 4th rounder.

My personal opinion is New York unloads a top goaltending prospect, something they have more than one of, and add two center prospects, something they are short of. From Florida's viewpoint they add a top goaltending prospect to backup Luongo and secure the franchise's future in goal, while coughing up two top center prospects out of group of probably five in the Panthers system.

Weiss and Lundmark haven't developed at the rate their GMs had hoped, but it could be a case where a change of scenery will do them good and they could both still emerge as Top 2 line centers.

Value-wise I feel it shapes up like this:

Weiss>Lundmark (slightly better)
Taticek<Dawes (again slight difference)
Huselius and Van Ryan = Lundqvist
2005 2nd rounder (31 overall)>2005 4th rounder (114 overall)

Is this a fair and realistic deal all around? Would you make the deal from both GMs perspective or is someone getting the shorter end of the stick?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Don't think the Rangers are trading Lundqvist anytime soon. They need to see how he plays in North America first. The guy was the best goaltender in the SEL the last three seasons. I would be disappointed if they gave up on him so soon, especially for guys like Weiss and Huselius. And I don't think Keenan would ever trade for a player like Jamie Lundmark. No way. If Keenan acquired any Rangers prospects at all he'd be asking for Jessiman or someone like that. Not a goalie when he already has Luongo.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
salostyle said:
I proposed this deal between the New York Rangers and Florida Panthers in a 2005 NHL entry draft...mock draft. Just want some opinions on this deal.

To New York = Stephen Weiss, Petr Taticek, Kristian Huselius, Mike Van Ryan, and 2nd rounder in 2005 (31st overall in mock) or 2006.

To Florida = Henrik Lundqvist, Jamie Lundmark, Nigel Dawes, and 2005 4th rounder.

My personal opinion is New York unloads a top goaltending prospect, something they have more than one of, and add two center prospects, something they are short of. From Florida's viewpoint they add a top goaltending prospect to backup Luongo and secure the franchise's future in goal, while coughing up two top center prospects out of group of probably five in the Panthers system.

Weiss and Lundmark haven't developed at the rate their GMs had hoped, but it could be a case where a change of scenery will do them good and they could both still emerge as Top 2 line centers.

Is this a fair and realistic deal all around? Would you make the deal from both GMs perspective or is someone getting the shorter end of the stick?

Florida get hosed in this deal. Lundmark is nowehere near Weiss. Huselius is better than Lundqvist and they give Van Ryan & a second for nothing. Sounds like Sanford & Son is peddling junk!

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
borro I'm actually Florida's GM and I proposed this deal because I thought it was pretty fair.

I guess I'm a believer in Dawes or moreso than Huselius. I agree Weiss is better than Lundmark but the guy I am trading with isn't really a Weiss fan. Taticek and Van Ryan were hard to give up and the 2nd rounder might have been a little much, but I honestly believe Lundqvist will be an NHL starter in 2-3 years and by then Luongo could be a UFA under the new CBA.

I guess that's where I'm coming from here, but it'll be interesting to see if my trading partner (Balej's Dance) pulls the trigger on this proposal. If not I'll probably target a goalie with the 31st overall pick in this mock draft and carry on business as usual.

Edit: I'm not an Indian giver. I made this proposal and I'll have to live with it, but the response is making me wonder whether I shouldn't have asked for the 54th overall pick rather than 114th overall...maybe Balej's Dance will cut me some slack or maybe he will flat out turn down my proposal.

Last edited:

OILBEEF

salostyle said:

GREAT Deal for Rangers. Let me guess - you are New York.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Value is fair but doesn't make much sense for Florida if they have Luongo. Lundqvist looks like a future starter. He will only be a backup in Florida.

Larry Fisher

Sep 19, 2002
Kelowna, B.C.
Lundqvist won't start this year or next and it wouldn't hurt him to learn the ropes from one of the league's best.

With the reports of a new free agency system Luongo could be an UFA in a few years and Florida needs someone capable of filling the void and the sooner they find that someone, the cheeper he'll be.

Who knows if Lundqvist does look like starter material after a year or two maybe we ship Luongo out before we lose him to free agency and bring back a new core of impact players.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
salostyle said:

this is like the 3rd time you've offered up weiss.

as a 21 year old he scored 29 points in 50 NHL games in the last season ('03-04). his stat numbers aren't amazing in the AHL this past year, but often times players AHL numbers aren't indicative of potential NHL output. to say weiss hasn't developed as 'hoped' is kinda foolish. he's still relatively young and has a lot of skill.

besides, florida has a young, star goalie who's proven he can capably start 70+ games a year and have damn good stats even behind a less than stellar defensive corps. what need to they have for a goalie prospect as a centerpiece at the expense of a NHL-ready player that can easily be a 2nd line center?

florida would get hosed in that deal for that alone, it makes no sense for them to do this, imo.

Last edited:

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Please say I'm not the only one who thinks the Rangers run away laughing in this deal. They give up one roster player (one who should be along farther in his devellopment), one of their 3 top goaltending prospects (Montoya is their goalie of the future, not Henrik), a career AHLer (I like Dawes, but I don't see him being more than this) and a mid-round pick.

In return, they get 3 playres who could walk onto their team now and contribute well, not to mention Weiss was drafted only 3 years ago and is on the cusp of breaking out, him and the 2nd rounder are enough for most of the Rangers package IMO. I'm not sold on Taticek but he's a much better NHL prospect than Dawes, not only do the Rags get the 3 best players of the deal (as well as a good prospect), they also get a very good draft pick.

Has Mike Milbury started making mock trades for the Panthers?

EDIT: If I had bothered to read the post above mine I would see that myfirst sentence has been answered :innocent:

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
borro said:
Florida get hosed in this deal. Lundmark is nowehere near Weiss. Huselius is better than Lundqvist and they give Van Ryan & a second for nothing. Sounds like Sanford & Son is peddling junk!

I agree. Flordia gets absolutely killed in this deal. Van Ryn is stud young defenseman and Weiss is shown some skill and keeps getting better each season.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
salostyle said:

Stupid offer.. Why on earth would Panthers do that? We got Luongo and no good goalie prospect wants to come to Florida as they know they wont get starting ice time in near future. Also that offer is ludacris.. Lundqvist aint that hot.. Only player i'd consider giving up for him is Taticek..

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
salostyle said:
borro I'm actually Florida's GM and I proposed this deal because I thought it was pretty fair.

I guess I'm a believer in Dawes or moreso than Huselius. I agree Weiss is better than Lundmark but the guy I am trading with isn't really a Weiss fan. Taticek and Van Ryan were hard to give up and the 2nd rounder might have been a little much, but I honestly believe Lundqvist will be an NHL starter in 2-3 years and by then Luongo could be a UFA under the new CBA.

I guess that's where I'm coming from here, but it'll be interesting to see if my trading partner (Balej's Dance) pulls the trigger on this proposal. If not I'll probably target a goalie with the 31st overall pick in this mock draft and carry on business as usual.

Edit: I'm not an Indian giver. I made this proposal and I'll have to live with it, but the response is making me wonder whether I shouldn't have asked for the 54th overall pick rather than 114th overall...maybe Balej's Dance will cut me some slack or maybe he will flat out turn down my proposal.

I guess you never seen Huselius play.. The kid has skills.. Now he's gonna have to use em under Martin-Keenan. When in europe Huselius has been one of the best players in europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad