LeBrun: Trade proposals that make sense

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Which is fine. If someone else is willing to pay that price for Kreider, then bully for the Rangers. Blues fans are just bringing up the ROR trade because it shows that that team will not be us. We do not want him that badly, but even if we did really want him, we have a pretty damn good reason to believe that Kyrou won't be the piece moving. Part of that is the ROR trade - we got a better player who was not a rental in that trade and Kyrou was off the table even then. Trust me, we needed a top line center much much more than we need a second line winger (which is what Kreider will be on the Blues when everyone is healthy (although he might end up playing on the first line, he'd be the third best winger)).

There's also the aspect that Army told Kyrou he's in St. Louis for the whole year. Yes, that was obviously in reference to him not getting sent back to San Antonio, but I think there is something to say about not wanting to have a kid buy a place just to trade him.
Krieder is worth more to the rangers than another team ....as a rental he's not going to carry a team to a cup so he has to be a missing part to a teams cup plan....not the center of it.....a first is all I'd offer not a prospect or top prospect just the pick.....

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
You have a hard time believing that a team doesn't care if they save 700k in real dollars over 1M on a budget they already planned for to get the B prospect they prefer?

If team A offers a 2nd and B prospect and team B offers a 2nd and equivalent B prospect but you like team A prospect a bit better for your team but you need to retain 30% on a 4M expiring contract, you accept because all that means is you save 700k instead of 1M on your, already planned, budget to get your preferred B prospect. The deal that you prefer wins out, retention is just sorted to get it done.

You said it as if it was fact. It thought it was interesting and have always believed otherwise. So yes, I do believe the retention adds value, even if only minimally. It’s another form of leverage.

Reactions: SwivelSchwartz

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Cant imaginr the blues give kyrou and a first and the sens trade pageau for anything short than a first or conditional 1st + 2nd, bellows has been a bust so dont know why theyd take him

Reactions: Merrrlin

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
LeBrun put out an article on The Athletic with the following proposals, claiming these make a lot of sense. Discuss as you please.

1) STL gets: Chris Kreider (50% retained)
NYR gets: Jordan Kyrou, 2020 1st

2) CGY gets: Tyler Toffoli (30% retained)
LAK gets: Adam Ruzicka, 2020 2nd, conditional 2021 4th
(condition: pick only dealt if Toffoli resigns with Flames)

3) NYI gets: Jean-Gabriel Pageau, Ron Hainsey
OTT gets: Kieffer Bellows, conditional 2020 2nd, conditional 2021 3rd
(conditions: 2020 2nd becomes 1st if Isles make round 2 and Pageau plays 50% of games, 2021 3rd becomes 2nd if Pageau re-signs)

4) CAR gets: Sami Vatanen (30% retained)
NJD gets: 2020 2nd

5) BOS gets: Ondrej Kase
ANA gets: Oskar Steen, 2020 3rd

6) COL gets: Alec Martinez
LAK gets: Sampo Ranta, 2021 2nd

Hopefully the Flames stay put, there is no point in wasting a 2nd round pick for a rental and a player that does not even move the needle.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Krieder is worth more to the rangers than another team ....as a rental he's not going to carry a team to a cup so he has to be a missing part to a teams cup plan....not the center of it.....a first is all I'd offer not a prospect or top prospect just the pick.....
Kreider has to want to stay in NYR for your theory to work. ... he is a first plus ...more than tatar for sure .

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Cant imaginr the blues give kyrou and a first and the sens trade pageau for anything short than a first or conditional 1st + 2nd, bellows has been a bust so dont know why theyd take him
That trade does have them getting a conditional 1st/2nd and a conditional 2nd/3rd.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019

I remember people saying the same about Hossa before he went to Chicago.

People love to say players are more valuable to their current team than others and I think it's a bad take. A team like Boston or Pittsburgh are much more dangerous with Kreider.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
You said it as if it was fact. It thought it was interesting and have always believed otherwise. So yes, I do believe the retention adds value, even if only minimally. It’s another form of leverage.

The other team has the leverage of just walking away. And teams will when they are treated unfairly in their eyes. If you say, your price is a 2nd and a 3rd and theirs isn't because we would have to retain 30% that wouldn't sit well with a team knowing they already gave you the best offer (a player is worth what the market will pay, not what anybody thinks he should be worth) and it's literally chump change to do it.

If team A walks away, then team B suddenly only offers a 3rd and the B prospect you wanted less, if that. And you've burned a bridge with someone.

Teams just take the best deals and work out the requirements to get it done from there.

Jan 21, 2018
'' that make sense'' Because Lebrun made them? Most of these are terrible.

Not that i disagree but it’s such a cheap way out to bash someone else’s list without providing your own.

Since you are such an expert please provide a few examples of trade proposals that make sense, it will be fun reading other people trash your opinion.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
1. Stupid expensive. If the Blues ever offered that the Rangers would be faxing them the paperwork within 5 seconds to get it done so they can't take it back

2. Seems about right depending on how you feel about Ruzicka

3. It's close. Depends on whether Ottawa can get anyone to bite on a 1st. If not this is the next best thing

4. Think NJ could probably get an ok prospect added to a 2nd from someone, especially if they're retaining

5. Way too low for Kase who they should keep

6. Pretty close

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Is the ROR trade the bench mark to all trades or is the Hanzal and White for a 1st, 2nd, 4th the bench mark? I think you get my point right?

Trade deadline prices is all about supply and demand that that varies year to year. Not sure why some fans don't understand that. There is no for sure measuring system here.
Yeah I see what you are saying but orielly was off season Handel deadline

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Agreed. Supply and Demand sets the price and that varies from year to year. So basically, it comes down to who is in on Kreider. Lets say 4-6 teams are "interested". Then it comes down to who wants him more and how desperate they are to top the other teams best offer. Rangers likely get what they want if there are two desperate teams in on Kreider.

What any player is worth is due to how much the other team wants that player. If there are multiple teams interested, that's when the price increases.
Just won't be the blues. Getting tarasenko and Blais back is way better than getting krider

Reactions: simon IC

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Not that i disagree but it’s such a cheap way out to bash someone else’s list without providing your own.

Since you are such an expert please provide a few examples of trade proposals that make sense, it will be fun reading other people trash your opinion.
Who said i was an expert. Im probably sure my offers would be better than scraps for good players.

etbl

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
For what Kreider brings, I want no part of St.Louis' late first. Does literally nothing to help the Rangers in the foreseeable future. In the best case scenario that pick would be an impact player in 4 years; we already have literally 10 prospects that are already developing that fit the same mold. Would much rather re-sign Kreider

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They also wouldnt be dealing with the brain dead buffalo management this time around. Does anyone really think the 31st pick, two cap dumps, and a nothing prospect is fair value for a 1C?
The media did at the time, 5!!!!!!!5!!!!!!! PIECES!!!!!!!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I could see a few teams offering more than that for Toffoli, especially if LA is willing to take back a contract.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Hopefully the Flames stay put, there is no point in wasting a 2nd round pick for a rental and a player that does not even move the needle.

Tofolli led the OHL in goal and points in 2010-2011 on Monhans wing.
upload_2020-2-3_21-0-9.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad