Trade Proposals and Free Agency Thread - 2018 Edition Part I: Countdown to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What about Dermott though? Can't expect him to play off side for a while at the NHL level. I do think you could see him in the top 4 on his LD side by the time Gardiner is gone though.

Borgman too. Could see him in the NHL as soon as next year as well.

Another good top 4 defenseman is always useful and there's no reason why Dermott couldn't play on his offside if need be

Play the best dudes and worry about handedness later imo

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
As I said in the other thread though: How much of this success is due to the UFA's though? Bozak has done very little to help our success. JvR too if you discount PP, which can survive without him. Komarov is a good PKer but we have others. Polak can be replaced.

If we are doing well without them and they are worth a lot, why keep them?
I would look to move both of them if possible. Jvr can be replaced internally, but I'm not sure if anyone can take Bozak's spot, so another move would need to be made for a 3C. It was mentioned that the Leafs draw the 5th least amount of penalties in the NHL, if these guys are only gonna chip in on the PP (and Bozak doesn't even do that) the Leafs should just move on.

If you can move Bozak soon, maybe try Aaltonen and if that works out great, but if not we will need to make a deadline acquisition. Johnsson could slide in where JVR is.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just realized;

Craig MacTavish at Marlies game yesterday.
Lamoriello and Babcock at Marlies game yesterday.
Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas and Prindham watching practice from the stands this morning.
Peter Chiarelli at Leafs game tonight.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Is there any chance Aaltonen gets a shot in that #4C role? It would suck to trade assets for some scrub like Letetsu if we got a perfectly good player to fill that hole in the organization already.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Just realized;

Craig MacTavish at Marlies game yesterday.
Lamoriello and Babcock at Marlies game yesterday.
Shanahan, Lamoriello, Dubas and Prindham watching practice from the stands this morning.
Peter Chiarelli at Leafs game tonight.

While I'd love to speculate on a big trade, I'd be a fan of a Letestu for Soshnikov and Moore type of trade. Upgrade the #4C spot wouldn't be a bad thing, as much as I'd like to grab a mid to late round pick for Sosh.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Is there any chance Aaltonen gets a shot in that #4C role? It would suck to trade assets for some scrub like Letetsu if we got a perfectly good player to fill that hole in the organization already.

He's a bit if a tweener

Not enough offense to be a top 9 (3rd C) and probably not enough there defensively to do the 4th line role either.

I've posted about already, but we could've had Kruger for free - and even though he's a bad year with Carolina, it's not too long ago he was contributing on a very good Chicago team. The $3m cap hit is a bit spicy, but there's ways to make it work i.e. moving Martin.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Babcock sung his praises in the preseason but not sure if they’d start experimenting at this point in the season. Think he gets a better chance at making the team next season

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's a bit if a tweener

Not enough offense to be a top 9 (3rd C) and probably not enough there defensively to do the 4th line role either.

I've posted about already, but we could've had Kruger for free - and even though he's a bad year with Carolina, it's not too long ago he was contributing on a very good Chicago team. The $3m cap hit is a bit spicy, but there's ways to make it work i.e. moving Martin.

He's been utter trash for a little while now. He's got negative value, so claiming him would be a terrible move. We could probably move Martin to Chicago to balance the cap and still get an asset on top of Kruger.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga

I don't think so. The Leafs are going to need a veteran in that role if they intend to make a run. I doubt any rookies are getting in at this point unless we hit a rash of injuries.

Leafs are in go mode.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
we have certainly proven in the last couple of months that we absolutely dont need jvr and bozak. they have done very little to add to the the success of the team. get something for them!

at least komarov contributes defensively and on the PK

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Really excited to see what we do in the upcoming days. So many scouts, so many options and contracts coming off a big win against TBL.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
We need Edmonton's draft picks not any of their players. Have at it Chia. Sosh and Leivo for a 2nd this year or next - I'm ecstatic.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
We will not have our Stars on entry level after next year and our ufas on good deals (JVR)

Bracco Johnsson Ransanen Leivo 1st for Tavares. Bozak as 4th line center.

No one would be able to handle our forwards and it pushes us to one of the top five teams in the league.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
We will not have our Stars on entry level after next year and our ufas on good deals (JVR)

No one would be able to handle our forwards and it pushes us to one of the top five teams in the league.

We already are top 5 in the league. Tampa, Boston, Wash, St Louis, Vegas are only teams playing better then us at this time. The goal should be to try and get to top 2.

With Chia in town can a deal be brewing for something larger then Letestu???? How about Maroon and RNH???? We do need a 2/3 line center to replace Bozak next year!!! Edmonton eats 1.5 million annually of RNH salary and we get a young center to go along with Matthews and Kadri moving forward.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Really excited to see what we do in the upcoming days. So many scouts, so many options and contracts coming off a big win against TBL.

Exciting in that you want to see Leafs trade their UFAs or to find out who we add to strengthen this team for the playoffs? I said this team needed Willie and Mitch to become difference makers in order to take the next step. Very happy to see them starting to make the difference more often. That first goal by Willie sent shivers down my spine. His second may have been stoppable but the way he flew by their dman was not. Setting up Gards was the icing on the cake. Fly Willie fly.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Can't see Isles trading JT but I would rather include Sosh than Johnsson. A 4th line of Leo, Bozak and Brown would be something.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don't see JVR, Bozak or Komarov being dealt unfortunately that ship has sailed. Its way too late.

But I am curious to see what they trade for to strengthen the team. Personally I would deal for players that still have term. I would be willing to give up our 1st this year in a deal for either RNH (Edm) or McDonaugh (NYR). Either of these players will help for both short and long term. That being said which ever we can acquire I would then focus on a rental for the other position. So if we get RNH, trade for Green (Det) or Johnson (Clbs). If we get McDonaugh, trade for Letestu (Edm) or Ryan (Car) to replace Moore as 4th line center.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
We already are top 5 in the league. Tampa, Boston, Wash, St Louis, Vegas are only teams playing better then us at this time. The goal should be to try and get to top 2.

With Chia in town can a deal be brewing for something larger then Letestu???? How about Maroon and RNH???? We do need a 2/3 line center to replace Bozak next year!!! Edmonton eats 1.5 million annually of RNH salary and we get a young center to go along with Matthews and Kadri moving forward.

with lou I have stopped getting excited when it looks like a trade is coming. Yesterday for example I thought the only possibility was trade sosh, bigger trade or waivers, midday roles around and they have found a loophole and my trade excitement diminishes. Lou has done this about 100 times since his been here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad