Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
Let's say Islanders wants to speed up results to convince Tavares to stay.

Would you guys open to :

:isles

Brendan Gallagher
Tomas Plekanec (25% retained)
Charles Hudon

:habs

Anthony Beauvilier
Calvin De Haan
Nikolai Kulemin

We sign Dadonov (ideally Shipachev too)
We make a deal with Vegas to pick Emelin

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Beauvilier-Shipachev-Dadonov
Lehkonen-Danault-Shaw
Martinsen/Kulemin-Mitchell-Byron

De Haan-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn
Davidson

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Islanders say no. I think Gallagher isn't on the table except for a good offer.

I'd prefer to package Plekanec with Beaulieu and Gallagher + picks for a real #2 d-man (Fowler/Ekman-Larsson) or a young talented d-man like Fleury.

Calvin De Haan is good but never a #2.. Kulemin is soso and Beauvy stay in Long Island.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Our 2nd C problem can easily be fixed by signing Shipachev this summer
I'm not crazy about having a gigantic Russian population on our roster. Not even Markov has really stepped up in the playoffs, and I love that guy. I dunno if more and more Russians won't further fragment the roster. We don't want cliques.

Radulov and Chucky speak Russian to each other on the bench. Emelin's English is very weak. Markov doesn't talk much. Nesterov, Sergachev next year, maybe even Scherbak. That's quite a bit.

It's not a problem per se, but would affect the balance in the room.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not crazy about having a gigantic Russian population on our roster. Not even Markov has really stepped up in the playoffs, and I love that guy. I dunno if more and more Russians won't further fragment the roster. We don't want cliques.

Radulov and Chucky speak Russian to each other on the bench. Emelin's English is very weak. Markov doesn't talk much. Nesterov, Sergachev next year, maybe even Scherbak. That's quite a bit.

Huh? Those are problems with individual players, not Russians. You could make the same argument for Americans on the roster. I'd disagree with both, but I don't get this line of reasoning.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006

Markov talks all the time... not just to reporters.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Huh? Those are problems with individual players, not Russians. You could make the same argument for Americans on the roster. I'd disagree with both, but I don't get this line of reasoning.
It's a lot harder to make the argument with Americans. Americans speak English and we share a lot of our culture with them. There are stark cultural differences between Russians and Canadians/Americans. I've worked with Russian people in school and work, these are folks who were fluent in English, and still - there are differences in interaction.

It's just how it works man. If we have a big Russian contingent in the lockerroom, things will very likely get cliquey. And yes language remains a big issue.

Markov talks all the time... not just to reporters.
All his teammates say he's generally the quiet type. I don't care, I love him, he's probably my favourite skater on the Habs and has been for a long time, but to pretend that having a third of the roster be entirely Russian and Russian-speaking isn't going to cause any headaches is a bit much. Come on guys. It has nothing to do with race or racism either, it's just what it is. European soccer teams have this issue too, Bayern Munich (Germany) had a Spanish coach and a number of Latin or Iberian players, the management had to come in and demand that folks learn German and communicate in only German. It was causing trouble in the lockerroom, communication, clique-building, etc. It was also a concern when we had a lot of French players. We had clique issues then, too.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Islanders will likely regret not trading Tavares this year.

He won't be worth more at next year's deadline.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Islanders will likely regret not trading Tavares this year.

He won't be worth more at next year's deadline.

Tavares is the franchise. Given the instability they have with the arena situation, I don't think they can afford to let a guy like Tavares go.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Say the guy who saw maybe Shipachev play 1-2 games..

True, but he's got an outstanding reputation amongst the Russians. It would be hard to let that opportunity pass when they all think he's one of the best Russian centers.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
It's a lot harder to make the argument with Americans. Americans speak English and we share a lot of our culture with them. There are stark cultural differences between Russians and Canadians/Americans. I've worked with Russian people in school and work, these are folks who were fluent in English, and still - there are differences in interaction.

It's just how it works man. If we have a big Russian contingent in the lockerroom, things will very likely get cliquey. And yes language remains a big issue.

I'm half russian, you don't need to tell me about cultural differences. But Markov has been in the NHL for 16 seasons, he's completely comfortable communicating in English. Galchenyuk is American and came up through the North American Hockey system, he usually communicates in English too. Emelin isn't likely to be with the team long term. Nestorov is a bit player. Radulov has spent the majority of the year with people who speak no Russian. I'm not sure adding one more guy is going to cause a huge problem.

Honestly, I don't see this as being any different than integrating Europeans with North Americans or young guys with older vets.

And if the organization that in its hayday successfully navigated a roster that was half uni-lingual English and half more comfortable in French is afraid of to many Russians, then they better stop invoking their history and legacy.

This is not at all like Bayern-Munich, all communication in the NHL between players and coaches in English, and Montreal (and QC) is the only team that tried to do it otherwise.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I'm half russian, you don't need to tell me about cultural differences. But Markov has been in the NHL for 16 seasons, he's completely comfortable communicating in English. Galchenyuk is American and came up through the North American Hockey system, he usually communicates in English too. Emelin isn't likely to be with the team long term. Nestorov is a bit player. Radulov has spent the majority of the year with people who speak no Russian. I'm not sure adding one more guy is going to cause a huge problem.

Honestly, I don't see this as being any different than integrating Europeans with North Americans or young guys with older vets.

And if the organization that in its hayday successfully navigated a roster that was half uni-lingual English and half more comfortable in French is afraid of to many Russians, then they better stop invoking their history and legacy.

This is not at all like Bayern-Munich, all communication in the NHL between players and coaches in English, and Montreal (and QC) is the only team that tried to do it otherwise.

Galchenyuk was raised in Russia actually, until 2009.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Galchenyuk was raised in Russia actually, until 2009.

He considers himself American, played for America internationally and played in Chicago and Sarnia prior to joining the Habs. He's fluent in English and has played almost exclusively at higher levels for English coaches and with English teammates. And he wasn't raised exclusively in Russia either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad