Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Also Oilers arent doing too bad
Draisaitl, Gustaffson, Nurse, Bear, Klefbom, Rieder, Khaira, ..

Thats 3 top 4 D in the past 8 drafts.

Its mostly the pre 201 era that killed them, and their terrible moves.

Thats without counting Mcdavid, RNH, Hall because theyre easy picks.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you trade Petry, you might as well trade everyone.
Why? Selling at the highest value is exactly what you should do. Webers value is tanked. Price has little value.

I could see moving Tatar and Danault but theres still time.

I do believe some sort of leadership qualities are needed and I think Weber, Gallagher and Price can provide that to the Habs young players while they develop.

Reality is, this team isnt going anywhere, not this year and not next year. Why keep Petry? What is it going to achieve ?

Petry is two years younger than Weber... In hindsight, would you have traded him back then? Its just about maximizing value.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
Reality is, this team isnt going anywhere, not this year and not next year. Why keep Petry? What is it going to achieve ?

Well if you think we're going nowhere for another 2 years, and then you subtract Petry...

Then what is it going to achieve to keep any of the players you just mentioned, right?

Reactions: Pierre Dagenais

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Why? Selling at the highest value is exactly what you should do. Webers value is tanked. Price has little value.

I do believe some sort of leadership qualities are needed and I think Weber, Gallagher and Price can provide that to the Habs young players while they develop.

Petry is two years younger than Weber... In hindsight, would you have traded him back then? Its just about maximizing value.

It's important to maximize value, but it's even more important to win, and Petry helps a lot with that for the last three years, despite our subpar results. More than that, it's about keeping up a healthy competitive culture for the youngsters to soak in, the idea that doing your best gets you places. Nobody wants to be the late 2000s, early 2010s Oilers, with top prospects and no one to mentor them. That situation is a miserable dreary hell for fans as they watch their prospects fail to develop, their team lose consistently and witness their management and front office standing pat, content to just watch and wait for a miracle every year as their playoffs hopes (and that of their fanbase) burn to cinders, leaving only ash and bile. I wouldn't wish that on any hockey fan*.

We have many great young players coming in the next few years in guys like Caufield, Poehling, Brook, Primeau and Romanov to go alongside a plethora of other talented players (Evans, Struble, Norlinder, Ylonen, amongst others) and young guys that are already in our lineup (Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Fleury, Juulsen if healthy), and those rookies need a strong veteran core, experience, playing time and winning games to help them grow to the best of their ability.

In light of that, it is my belief that trading Petry right now, even though he might have reached his maximum value and could return good pieces, would substract from our core leadership group and ultimately wouldn't be ''worth it'' in the end. Guys like Byron and Tatar though, we could trade without fear.

Now, if we start to majorly suck this year around Christmas or the New Year, I might agree with you on trading Petry, but the timing just isn't good at this moment and the risk outweighs the benefit right now.

*Except for Bruins' fans. Because **** them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital

Exactly , this is called having vision , which this GM has none. Imagine Trading a Petry at the deadline , the price would be a first pick + a good prospect atleast.
I know Petry is our best d-man but by the time we get a steady and good roster , Weber will be done (which hes almost because in my opinion Weber is now a good 3-4th def) , Price will be even older and declining , and Petry will be getting also older.

It's the perfect time to sell players like him.

Anyways we already allow 40 shots a game with Petry and Weber and we are 31th in dangerous shots allowed. Can't be worse.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I doubt Petry ever gets moved, him and Price are very close, and their wives are tight as well.... I don’t see Pricer signing off on that deal and Bargain Bin would never go against Price.

I highly doubt bergevin cares about petry and price being friends

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm a Byron fan but I'm okay with trading him at this point. Hasn't looked the same and it opens up a spot. Cousins has shown more in one game than Byron has all season as well.

Reactions: Vachon23

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
If we are talking Left shooting D, in teams not having success at the moment or that should not be too good sooner than later, and if the Habs really wants to make a push for a playoff spot this year here are some names

Are any interesting ? You tell me:

Danny Dekeiser
Mike matheson
Ryan Murray
Nick Leddy
Jonas Brodin
Alec Martinez
Niklas haljmarsson

So???

I think Murray would be a solid addition. Questionable injury concerns, but would be a nice partner for Petry if Kulak falters, and is likely an improvement over Mete beside Weber. I wouldn't want it to happen until later in the season, as I don't see Mete bumping Chariot in a bottom pairing role and I'd hate to see him riding the bench long term. But for a playoff push, maybe run, I'd like it.

I wouldn't sell every vet. Petry seems like the right type of high value guy to capitalize on at this point in his career. His loss would be felt, but I think this team could re-tool with younger pieces and be better for it long term.

I want a top prospect+1st for Petry to even get the conversation started. Although we should trade him now, we have a **** ton of time to trade him when he has great value.

Well if you think we're going nowhere for another 2 years, and then you subtract Petry...

Then what is it going to achieve to keep any of the players you just mentioned, right?

Hockey players aren't stocks... Look at the hole we have on LD. There's a real good chance that will be a hole we'll have on RD for the next 5+ years if we trade Petry.

There's a time to maximize value on a player, and there's a time to hold it and earn those dividends. Unless of course somebody is willing to give up something stupid.

Reactions: vokiel

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I think Murray would be a solid addition. Questionable injury concerns, but would be a nice partner for Petry if Kulak falters, and is likely an improvement over Mete beside Weber. I wouldn't want it to happen until later in the season, as I don't see Mete bumping Chariot in a bottom pairing role and I'd hate to see him riding the bench long term. But for a playoff push, maybe run, I'd like it.

Hockey players aren't stocks... Look at the hole we have on LD. There's a real good chance that will be a hole we'll have on RD for the next 5+ years if we trade Petry.

There's a time to maximize value on a player, and there's a time to hold it and earn those dividends. Unless of course somebody is willing to give up something stupid.

Players are assets and falling in love with them is the bane of any franchise. As a franchise, you owe nothing to a player. Weve seen that with Markov and Radulov, imagine if they got value for them instead.

The right side of the defense is probably the deepest in the league in prospects, Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Harris, Romanov is a boat loads of talent and no one should be stressed about it.

Other than that, Petry is thirty one, by the time his contract is up, hell he almost Webers age... can you imagine the decline hed have? Hes extremely reliant on his skating.

Also, what kind of value are you really getting out of him? The team is the worst in the league defensively, how much lower can the team go?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Players are assets and falling in love with them is the bane of any franchise. As a franchise, you owe nothing to a player. Weve seen that with Markov and Radulov, imagine if they got value for them instead.

The right side of the defense is probably the deepest in the league in prospects, Brook, Fleury, Juulsen, Harris, Romanov is a boat loads of talent and no one should be stressed about it.

Other than that, Petry is thirty one, by the time his contract is up, hell he almost Webers age... can you imagine the decline hed have? Hes extremely reliant on his skating.

Also, what kind of value are you really getting out of him? The team is the worst in the league defensively, how much lower can the team go?

Wasn't there a rumour that the Kings wanted Markov, but Bergevin wanted a 1st, a young roster player, and a prospect? He then let Markov go for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad