Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XX

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Lshap, Jul 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TT1

TT1 Registered User

**** no, Byron Mete Fleury 3rd 2020 for Klefbom? Puljujarvi is worthless

Don't get me wrong, i'd love to get Klefbom (not like Edmonton would trade him @ his AAV anyways) but not at that price. Maybe someone who values Puljujarvi higher might.

CAR3YPR1CE likes this.
  2. TT1

TT1 Registered User

3. habsfan891

habsfan891 Registered User

4. Miller Time

Miller Time Registered User

Florida rumored to be in hot pursuit of Gardiner, but need to create cap space...

To Florida
    Follin(100k retained), Hudon (100K retained) Thompson (400k retained)
    (2M$)

T0 Mtl
    Weegar, Pysyk, Acciari, 1st & 3rd '20
    (6M$)

Panthers free up 4M$ in cap, while keeping the roster filled.
    Habs get a 1st & 3rd for providing cap space (Pysyk/Weegar deals expire after this year) & taking on the 2 extra years of Acciari's deal.

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
    Tatar - Danault - Byron
    Lehkonen - JKO - Armia
    Cousins - Acciari - Weal
    Poehling, Evans, Suzuki

Mete - Weber
    Kulak - Petry
    Chiarot - Pysyk
    Juulsen, Weegar, Reilly

2020 draft: 2x 1st, 2x 2nd, 2x 3rd, 4x 4th, 2x 5th

5. Dichow Stopper

Dichow Stopper Former ChuckyToGally

If the Panthers are desesperate enough to part with their 2020 1st for 4M$ in cap space, I would say sure why not.

6. Miller Time

will be interesting to see how Tallon approaches it... he's always been quite aggressive and unfraid to make aggressive moves. I don't really see why they would push the issue to get Gardiner personally, they have a decent d-group in place without him... but if the rumors are true, and they are aggressively trying to free up that cap space, I suspect it will end up costing them a 1st, or a top prospect, to get that done at this point in the offseason. We are one of the few teams, i think, with the cap space and roster flexibility to facilitate a deal that allows them to both get the cap space they want and keep the roster depth they need to be a cup contender...

7. Dichow Stopper

It would be great to get Heponiemi as part of the deal.

8. habsfan891

I think you misspelled halarious robbery :laugh:

9. Dichow Stopper

I wassn’t asking to add him to the proposed trade, of course we wouldn’t get the 2020 1st AND him.

habsfan891 likes this.
  10. habsfan891

Robbery if they get him even swapping him for the 1st round pick though.

11. smirob

smirob Registered User

I wonder if we could pry Hoffman off of them. He was in the rumour mill for awhile and it would be nice to get another scoring fwd.

Hoffman-Domi-Gallagher
    Drouin-Kotkaniemi-Tatar

That would be a speedy skilled top 6, not big mind you but we could add a gritty winger for the bottom 6

12. Miller Time

Trade
    To Wpg
    Byron, Kulak, Lehkonen*, 3rd

To Mtl
    Ehlers

This assumes the Jets decide to keep both Connor/Laine... which means likely having to move Ehlers (they have 17.6M with only 17 roster spots and those 2 RFA deals to get signed, likely in the 7.5-8.5M range each).
    Jets actually add 1.6M in cap, but fill 2 more roster spots (taking them to 19) & are left with 16M for Connor/Laine and the remaining roster spot.
    *could swap Kulak for Folin if they want an additional 1M$ in cap space, and/or Lek-Byron for Weal for another 1-2M$, though i suspect player value-wise, they'd prefer Kulak/Lek...

then Sign Gardiner to 4yrs - 6-6.5M deal
    --------

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher (17-18min/night)
    Domi - JKO - Armia (16-17min/night)
    Drouin - Poehling - Ehlers (15-16min/night)
    Cousins - Thompson - Weal (10-12min/night)
    Hudon/Barber/Suzuki

Gardiner - Weber
    Chiarot - Petry
    Mete - Juulsen
    Reilly/Folin

Price
    Kinkaid

that lineup gets us in the playoffs this year, imo, and more importantly, can remain largely intact through 2020-21 season (Weise/Peca/Thompson/Kinkaid contracts off the books + cap increase should cover Domi/Mete raises), giving the group a chance to build through 2 seasons to be ready to excel come 2021 playoffs (pre-expansion draft)

2020-21 projected lineup

...barring injury or Suzuki forcing the issue, lineup is fully the same with exception of Evans taking over from Thompson as 4th line C... unlikely to have that level of consistency, but if they managed it, the impact on the teams performance & execution of the game plan would be massive and a big advantage vis-a-vis most teams, not to mention set the stage for a robust team culture to be in place and build momentum from for the successful integration of young talents like Suzuki/Caufield/Ylonen/Brook/Fleury/Romanov/Ikonen/Olofsson/Strubble et. (and our 2020 picks) post expansion draft...

Domi - JKO - Armia
    Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
    Drouin - Poehling - Ehlers
    Cousins - Evans - Weal
    Suzuki/McCarron/Teasdale

Gardiner - Weber
    Chiarot - Petry
    Mete - Juulsen
    Brook/Fleury

Price
    Lingren

13. Hins77

Hins77 Registered User

I am a habs fan, so i like your idea, but in term of reality. I compare Ehlers to Drouin. So will you accept : Drouin for Perreault, Copp, Morrow? Second line winger vs 2 bottom 6 and a 4/5 dman. Not sure about it. Marroon is a bottom winger and hes still on ufa market so...

Vachon23 and SnapVirus like this.
  14. The Great Weise

The Great Weise "The Food Will Be Better"

I think a Drouin for Ehlers swap makes sense. Drouin is a tad cheaper and a change of scenery for both guys might make sense. Drouin hasnt done well under the spotlight.

habsfan891 likes this.
  15. Miller Time

Lol, exactly what I asked myself...

Thing is, it's not a good comparable given the respective teams cap & contract situation.

Jets have two RFA to extend that will cost 15-19M, and then still need to sign/promote 3 other players to get to their roster minimum...

But only have 17.6M in cap space.

So one way or another, they'll need to adjust their roster/contract situation.

Last year, they gave us Armia basically for free for taking some cap off their hands in mason.

Rumors suggest they may try to move Ehlers, presumably for cap flex reasons.

So, if we were in that context (against the cap, ready to move Drouin, needing both cap $ for our stud RFAs & roster players to fill the team), I think I'd jump at adding Lekhonen, Kulak & Byron... 3 solid depth guys, 2 of which with solid upward potential, for under 8M....
    Downgrade on talent, but expand depth & create cap flex needed to sign my RFAs.

We see a few deals like this every summer. Cap flex has a value & I think this trade works well for the Jets (or at least, better than most likely alternatives they are looking at right now).

16. Miller Time

Seems pretty lateral & Ehlers would get the extra scrutiny given he replaced a talented Franco player... No way to know if handles the spotlight better than Drouin.

I like the idea of reuniting them... Might be the catalyst/chemistry he needs to get his productivity up to where we can overlook all his other shortcomings

17. Hins77

Hins77 Registered User

Yeah. I understand your idea but I dont think they will trade ehlers for make some cap space. Matthieu perreault is paid 4 millions for playing on the third line. They willl buy out him or trade him with salary retain instead of losing kyle connor or ehlers for nothing imo

Vachon23 likes this.
  18. Miller Time

certainly they'll look at all options... but buying him out isn't really a functional one as they still have several roster spots they need to fill.

19. The Great Weise

The Great Weise "The Food Will Be Better"

Bergevin is all about 1 for 1 substitutions. The talented Franco player did not work out at all and at the very worst Ehlers performs the same way. I'm sure the Jets aren't thrilled with Ehlers(especially his playoff performances) and a change of scenery could be exactly what he needs. I don't want to reuinite them, I'd rather give up Drouin instead of prospects+picks.

20. Miller Time

MB does love his 1 for 1 specials lol...

for me, right now, if we are trying to move Drouin, I wouldn't target a guy like Ehlers as his replacement. I'd be looking to leverage whatever value Drouin still has in a deal to get a top 4LD of a similar age (Brodin? Fowler? Murray?), or a top-6 potential NHL:er with size & grit (Ritchie/Comtois? Anderson? Greenway?)... We are rolling in smallish, playmaking-leaning top-9 wingers, i don't see much point swapping Drouin for a similar style player who has been very similarly productive (194pts @.6ppg vs 199pts @.67 ppg for Ehlers) while playing for a team that scored 90 more goals than the habs did the past 2 years). Don't see much point in that.

21. angry pirate

angry pirate Registered User

If Florida are indeed after Gardiner, and he has a hand-shake deal that is being held up by the team needing to move a defencemen first, the oft-mentioned Matheson is likely being shopped.

I would say a Drouin for Matheson swap probably makes sense on value, but Flordia needs to take zero or negligible cap back. Maybe a deal centered around Juulsen could work. If the Habs were even interested in Matheson that is.

22. habsfan891

I hope they aren't interested in the slightest I don't have any faith in Matheson rebounding and becoming worth his contract after that atrocious season last year.

23. angry pirate

I still think the oft-injured Ryan Murray is a realistic and viable target for our left side. When healthy he can be a legit top pair partner for Weber and play all situations. If Kulak or Mete only need to play 15-20 games with Weber than I think we come out ahead.

Then I think that we could potentially move either Kulak or Reilly with a pick and a prospect in a deal with the Kings for Toffoli to take Shaw's spot alongside Domi.

habsfan891 likes this.
  24. angry pirate

I actually think he's a strong bounce-back candidate. PDO's were firmly in the bad luck zone despite Matheson having a career best shooting %. On Ice Save % dropped by 3% year to year. Reimer led the team with a .900 save %. Good for 60th in the league. Combine really bad goaltending with 60% D-Zone starts and you have a recipe for Matheson's season.

25. habsfan891

Fair enough I'd just rather not be the team that took that chance myself.

angry pirate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.