Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not saying he doesn't get a chance but having 60% O-Zone draws over your career isn't a fluke. It's not a big deal, Erik Karlsson was deployed at 60% last year. I just don't see a player with that type of usage being paired with Weber who is leaned on heavily at the opposite end. Ghost, like EK, is most effective when you give him the opportunity to drive the offence. That's why they get the usage they do. I don't see a scenario where we are trading for Ghost to eat the hard defensive minutes that Weber does.

Maybe we are looking at it too linearly. Maybe there is a split usage scenario where Mete plays with Weber and Petry for Defensive zone draws, and Ghost gets deployed with both for offensive. I don't know. I just don't see a drastic change for how he's deployed as a player all of a sudden.

Good points. Who's better in their own end? Gostisbehere or Karlsson? I think Karlsson by a fair margin. Both are used offensively and rightly so but Karlsson is average in his own end and Ghost is not.

Not saying I want nothing to do with Gostisbehere but we need to be careful with exposing Price. And under no circumstances should we have both Mete and Gostisbehere in the same line-up.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
4F 1D powerplay systems are more successful than a traditional 3-2. We need an elite shooter to be the primary threat on the 2nd unit, and a serviceable shooter to keep teams honest when Weber is on the ice.
Gost is one year removed from a 33 PP point season. He'd help us big time.

I can't see him playing with Weber who commends more D-Zone draws than O. Ghost is around 60% o-zone draws for his career. I think Ghost plays with Petry on the 2nd pair and likely leeches his PP time. Still makes us better, just think his usage would be different than a lot of people expect.
Don't confuse usage with ability. PK Subban was one of the best PKers in the league but Therrien didn't trust him to be used there. If we can pair Mete with Weber, we can definitely pair Gost with him. And Gost with Petry doesn't make a whole lot of sense as they've got similar skillsets.

Weber dishes off the puck to his partners and is a stay behind type of player. Adding Gost to the pairing makes it far more mobile and Weber can help to make up for some defensive lapses. Weber doesn't really move the needle possession wise but Gost does. Put them together and I think it would be a pretty good pairing.

Reactions: habsfan891

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Thought you guys would be all over the main board with Ghost to Mtl trade offers now that money is tighter in Philly. But Ghost staying in Philly is in-line with Fletcher's win-now announcement from last month. IF Ghost is indeed available, make sure 15th oa is in the offer imo cause they will want to get one of the good dmen Seider, Soderstrom, Broberg or York.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thought you guys would be all over the main board with Ghost to Mtl trade offers now that money is tighter in Philly. But Ghost staying in Philly is in-line with Fletcher's win-now announcement from last month. IF Ghost is indeed available, make sure 15th oa is in the offer imo cause they will want to get one of the good dmen Seider, Soderstrom, Broberg or York.

Mete and Byron for Ghost and a pick. They are not getting our 15th OA. If I'm acquiring Ghost, Mete goes the other way. We can't have two guys who don't play physical on the back end.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Mete and Byron for Ghost and a pick. They are not getting our 15th OA. If I'm acquiring Ghost, Mete goes the other way. We can't have two guys who don't play physical on the back end.
That will not work unfortunately. Forward roster full and 15 oa is required.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That will not work unfortunately. Forward roster full and 15 oa is required.

Let them keep Ghost then. I don't care if they want to over value their player and undervalue ours. Ghost is all over the map in production from year to year and he is very inconsistent and a liability in his own end. I think we are over hyping him in general on our boards cause of his offensive potential but remember, it's not season after season of proven stats. He had one very good year. So why can't we over hype our players equally? Mete and Byron are not spare parts. Very far from it. The question is does it fit their team needs. Mete replaces Ghost on the LD side and is younger while they get to add a speedy 20 goal forward in the top 9 who can play both wings. There is lots of value there

Regardless, Leddy is the guy we should get. He is not over hyped and I think he has better all around game.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Let them keep Ghost then. I don't care if they want to over value their player and undervalue ours. Ghost is all over the map in production from year to year and he is very inconsistent and a liability in his own end. I think we are over hyping him in general on our boards cause of his offensive potential but remember, it's not season after season of proven stats. He had one very good year. So why can't we over hype our players equally? Mete and Byron are not spare parts. Very far from it. The question is does it fit their team needs. Mete replaces Ghost on the LD side and is younger while they get to add a speedy 20 goal forward in the top 9 who can play both wings. There is lots of value there

Regardless, Leddy is the guy we should get. He is not over hyped and I think he has better all around game.
Didnt do that lke at all. Requested 15th oa to be part of the deal. You came up with 2 players and told me how in your mind they were ca fit. They are not. And didnt say 1-1. Mete you can trade to another team if you dont want the 2 players.

Just thought you would me more interested than you were last month on main board.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Flyers just traded a 2nd and 3rd for a guy SJ was looking to ship out as a cap dump. They just signed Hayes for 7 years at $7m per. I’ll take Bergevin over Fletcher in a trade negotiation. Their fans are hoping for a huge package for Ghost but I don’t see it.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Flyers have Hartman, Konecny and Laughton as rfa up front with Patrick rfa next season and no one significant becoming ufa.

They have Provorov and Sanheim as rfas on the back end with just Braun being significant ufa next season.

Philly is likely trading someone good away and Montreal better be there.

If Philly does want Shaw, then Montreal might look at Hartman ? Hartman is a similar player to Shaw, almost like Shaw when he was younger. Then again, depends on how the flyers feel since they gave up Simmonds for him.

In short, Montreal should be talking to philly a lot.

Reactions: Dominator13

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didnt do that lke at all. Requested 15th oa to be part of the deal. You came up with 2 players and told me how in your mind they were ca fit. They are not. And didnt say 1-1. Mete you can trade to another team if you dont want the 2 players.

Just thought you would me more interested than you were last month on main board.

We disagree. Gostisbehere will not get pry away value and he is not a complete D man. He is a one dimensional offensive D man who is a liablilty in his own end. There is a reason why he starts 70% on the offensive end and it runs deeper than his offensive ability.

Mete is a good piece cause they get someone cheaper to replace the LD depth and also skates very well. Doesn't produce as much offense but neither did Gostisbehere when he was 20. When Gostisbehere was 20, he wasn't in the NHL. Adding Byron helps the depth on wing which is a team need for them.

Maybe we agree that they say no to the offer but a young player like Mete and a speedy winger who can score 20 goals at either LW or RW is not a small offer. We disagree and I think the reason why is you overvalue Gostisbehere's game cause you are drooling over his one good season.

Reactions: Vachon23

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Playing physical is overrated if you play good defense. Trading Mete in a deal for Ghost is counter effective.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
We disagree. Gostisbehere will not get pry away value and he is not a complete D man. He is a one dimensional offensive D man who is a liablilty in his own end. There is a reason why he starts 70% on the offensive end and it runs deeper than his offensive ability.

Mete is a good piece cause they get someone cheaper to replace the LD depth and also skates very well. Doesn't produce as much offense but neither did Gostisbehere when he was 20. When Gostisbehere was 20, he wasn't in the NHL. Adding Byron helps the depth on wing which is a team need for them.

Maybe we agree that they say no to the offer but a young player like Mete and a speedy winger who can score 20 goals at either LW or RW is not a small offer. We disagree and I think the reason why is you overvalue Gostisbehere's game cause you are drooling over his one good season.
Not drooling and not said it was a small offer. Just isnt what is required in the return. Too many dmen as it is now and no room at forward. No need for depth at forward. Sometimes people get creative and simply counteroffer with a nice prospect or a 1st pick a year later to give up what they didnt want to in the first place 915th oa).
i get you are now targeting Leddy. And i agree he is a better player. Lets ask their fans if mete and Byron is their ask. Is he even available?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Playing physical is overrated if you play good defense. Trading Mete in a deal for Ghost is counter effective.

It's not overrated. You need physical strength to go along with the speed and skating. Puck moving ability is just as important as the ability to clear the front of the net or neutrize players along the boards.

Trading Mete+ for Ghost is a fair concern. Question is, how much better does Mete get from where he is today? The only reason why I included Mete is he has value and I do not want both Mete and Ghost in the mix. We will get destroyed in the playoffs by the more physical forwards.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not drooling and not said it was a small offer. Just isnt what is required in the return. Too many dmen as it is now and no room at forward. No need for depth at forward. Sometimes people get creative and simply counteroffer with a nice prospect or a 1st pick a year later to give up what they didnt want to in the first place 915th oa).
i get you are now targeting Leddy. And i agree he is a better player. Lets ask their fans if mete and Byron is their ask. Is he even available?

I think it fits their needs and you don't. We disagree and not sure either one of us can say anything more to change our minds.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Flyers have Hartman, Konecny and Laughton as rfa up front with Patrick rfa next season and no one significant becoming ufa.

They have Provorov and Sanheim as rfas on the back end with just Braun being significant ufa next season.

Philly is likely trading someone good away and Montreal better be there.

If Philly does want Shaw, then Montreal might look at Hartman ? Hartman is a similar player to Shaw, almost like Shaw when he was younger. Then again, depends on how the flyers feel since they gave up Simmonds for him.

In short, Montreal should be talking to philly a lot.
Good job creativity-wise. I like that line of thinking. Make sure 15 oa is in the offer and work from there.
The Simmonds part puzzles me. Got Hartman and a 4th for a pretty washed up Simmonds dont you agree?
Philly might as well just send Hagg away for nothing much and call it a day on defense.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Flyers just traded a 2nd and 3rd for a guy SJ was looking to ship out as a cap dump. They just signed Hayes for 7 years at $7m per. I’ll take Bergevin over Fletcher in a trade negotiation. Their fans are hoping for a huge package for Ghost but I don’t see it.
Look on their board. Not the case. Vast majority doesnt even want to hear about trading him. But to include the 15th oa in a bigger deal doesnt sound far-fetched to me especially when Mtl sees Leddy not available.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Not sure i agree with your definition of a cap dump. Guy played like a lot with SJ. Is Niskanen a cap dump too? Maybe Hayes.

Cap casualty.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Look on their board. Not the case. Vast majority doesnt even want to hear about trading him. But to include the 15th oa in a bigger deal doesnt sound far-fetched to me especially when Mtl sees Leddy not available.

Yeah they don’t mention him going. But Sanheim has passed him in importance and Provorov already passed him. I don’t see room for Ghost, they should plug other holes. They have lousy depth up front.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Yeah they don’t mention him going. But Sanheim has passed him in importance and Provorov already passed him. I don’t see room for Ghost, they should plug other holes. They have lousy depth up front.
They do? Just checked NYI board. 80.6% would trade Leddy for scoring help. I say work from there. That would not be Mete and Byron.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Good job creativity-wise. I like that line of thinking. Make sure 15 oa is in the offer and work from there.
The Simmonds part puzzles me. Got Hartman and a 4th for a pretty washed up Simmonds dont you agree?
Philly might as well just send Hagg away for nothing much and call it a day on defense.

15oa is easily involved for Ghost imo.

However I think if Montreal does deal for ghost, it's likely when Montreal is going to draft. If no one falls, habs likely deal for him there..

If they actually do trade for a player I like who, for once isn't already washed up before then and/or the 15th isn't involved I'll be shocked.

If the deal is 15th + Shaw I could see the habs trying to get Hartman, too.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They do? Just checked NYI board. 80.6% would trade Leddy for scoring help. I say work from there. That would not be Mete and Byron.

I prefer Leddy so let’s hope Bergevin is on it.

And yes the Flyers are top heavy. No one scored 50 points other than Giroux, Couturier and Voracek. If they want to make noise they should go for some good 2nd/3rd liners.

Reactions: Vachon23

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Easier said than done, but I'd like to see the Habs trade players who can be replaced in free agency.

Trade Drouin, replace with Duchene (+4M)
Trade Shaw, replace with Ferland (+1M)

Use assets to acquire Leddy, Ghost or Fowler (+4 to 5M).

That's how I'd like to see them spend the $10M.

I'd also like to see Byron traded for a 2nd, then using the Cap space to take on a bad contract and another asset (pick or prospect).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad