Proposal: Trade proposal thread - Trades are Needed---Who goes 1st?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
You can't trade Pacioretty and not get anything tangible at the NHL level.

There's no way they can do that

If they move Pacioretty, there has to be a young established player coming back as part of the deal

No way you move your captain and best goal scorer for "maybes"
And this is why Bergy needs to go. A new guy (or an acting GM) can make whatever trade is needed for the best future return and not be concerned about the optics of trading Max and not getting immediate help back. Team is in the gutter this year, so getting a current roster player should not make any difference. Rather aim higher for a really good prospect who can play 1-2 C or 1-2 LD plus pick(s). TSN was talking about Thomas + Kyrou for Max, Habs should take that and run. There are UFA wingers available so team can sign Kane, JVR or Neal in the offseason, start '18-19 having converted Max to JVR (for example) plus you've added guy(s) who will help in 18-19 or 19-20.

And as noted above, teams adding Max for a playoff drive are not going to give current useful pieces back so your best bet at value is a guy close, but not yet in the NHL.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
What is with this common refrain about Pleks and retaining salary? His contract is coming off the books and by the deadline is peanuts. Why would the Habs have to retain anything when moving him? He gets the Habs a 2nd minimum. Still quick, wins face offs, kills penalties and if MB isn't a buffoon, should be able to easily get a bidding war going. Look what Gaustad, Hanzal and Vermette were dealt for at previous deadlines. Pleks should get more than most think.
Retaining salary on Plek's 6M contract should improve the quality of assets we'd get back. That's it.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You can't trade Pacioretty and not get anything tangible at the NHL level.

There's no way they can do that

If they move Pacioretty, there has to be a young established player coming back as part of the deal

No way you move your captain and best goal scorer for "maybes"

Depends what you are targeting. If the goal is to get a center (which they should) then Pacioretty won't net you a young NHL established top C.

A top center prospect or an average young established center is the most he could get you if he's offered alone. What would be the point of getting an average center, we have those already.

TFish

Jan 5, 2018
Retaining salary on Plek's 6M contract should improve the quality of assets we'd get back. That's it.
Everyone has cap room at the end of February. He's probably owed about 2 mil. If that is an issue for certain teams I'm sure it won't be for a handful of others. I get the Habs are loaded and Molson is richer than God, but having to haggle over what Pleks is owed should,d not be an issue.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I would bet my house Bergy gets Yamamoto out of Edmonton.. because :
A. He's Small
B. He's Not a C
C. We have an Idiot in charge

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Even that seems high to me. Pacioretty is a multiple 30++ scorer, and Gallagher was on pace for 30 when he originally hurt his hand, and is so again this year. That should make each worth a 1st+ IMO.

I could even imagine some teams paying more for Gallagher than Pacioretty because his game is more rounded, if not prolific, and his age.

I thought so as well, initially, and thought that Pacioretty, Mete and a 1st rounder would be fair for Draisaitl, but we're forgetting that Pacioretty only has one year left, after this one, on his contract and that huge payday for likely too many years might be around the corner, especially if he produces 40+ goals alongside McDavid next year, let's say. Pacioretty is, unfortunately, also at the table end of his prime.

There's also no guarantees that he re-signs in EDM.

Draisaitl is signed for an eternity and already is a stud at C, IMO, way before he has even reached his prime. That's why I added Gallagher and left Mete out.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I thought so as well, initially, and thought that Pacioretty, Mete and a 1st rounder would be fair for Draisaitl, but we're forgetting that Pacioretty only has one year left, after this one, on his contract and that huge payday for likely too many years might be around the corner, especially if he produces 40+ goals alongside McDavid next year, let's say. Pacioretty is, unfortunately, also at the table end of his prime.

Draisaitl is signed for an eternity and already is a stud at C, IMO, way before he has even reached his prime. That's why I added Gallagher and left Mete out.

Yours is not a bad evaluation at all. I just think Gallagher has more value than he gets credit for, especially in Edmonton where he's a hero.

Draisaitl is clearly a potential superstar but hasn't yet established it as a certainty in my mind. Playing a lot with McDavid will do that.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Everyone has cap room at the end of February. He's probably owed about 2 mil. If that is an issue for certain teams I'm sure it won't be for a handful of others. I get the Habs are loaded and Molson is richer than God, but having to haggle over what Pleks is owed should,d not be an issue.
A miracle.
No, Plekanec's contract is up at the end of the season and his cap hit left at the TDL is going to be around 1.5 mill... No one will care that much about habs retaining at this point.

Teams that are out of cap space will care. It's not retaining to save anybody real money. It's retaining to keep certain teams under the cap. Or a budget team Like NJ for instance may be looking for some savings. Maybe an interested team has already made another move adding a lot of Salary.

I don't think retaining will increase Plekanec's value per say, but it'll certainly increase the amount of teams that put in an offer and that gives you a better chance of getting the deal you want. Without retention Pittsburgh and Minnesota likely couldn't add Pleks. Dallas and Washington would both be severely limited to making any other moves if they took on Pleks entire contract.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And this is why Bergy needs to go. A new guy (or an acting GM) can make whatever trade is needed for the best future return and not be concerned about the optics of trading Max and not getting immediate help back. Team is in the gutter this year, so getting a current roster player should not make any difference. Rather aim higher for a really good prospect who can play 1-2 C or 1-2 LD plus pick(s). TSN was talking about Thomas + Kyrou for Max, Habs should take that and run. There are UFA wingers available so team can sign Kane, JVR or Neal in the offseason, start '18-19 having converted Max to JVR (for example) plus you've added guy(s) who will help in 18-19 or 19-20.

And as noted above, teams adding Max for a playoff drive are not going to give current useful pieces back so your best bet at value is a guy close, but not yet in the NHL.
It really has nothing to do with optics.

Imo, you have a proven commodity like Pacioretty, inna sweet contract, you need something tangible now.

Not just futures

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Friedman asked on why Montreal wouldn't be interested in Duclair:

Friedman   Interest In Duclair Around League Not Very High.png

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Depends what you are targeting. If the goal is to get a center (which they should) then Pacioretty won't net you a young NHL established top C.

A top center prospect or an average young established center is the most he could get you if he's offered alone. What would be the point of getting an average center, we have those already.
I think we underestimate the value Pacioretty has.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Best thing Bergevin can do is get some bidding wars on Patches from division rivals. Get Pens, Isles and Rangers in. Anaheim, LA and San Jose, St. Louis and Nashville etc. Make sure they know each other are bidding on him and get them to up the anti just to make sure their rival doesn’t get him.

That’s the way to do it before the deadline imo.

Last edited:

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Best thing Bergevin can do is get some bidding wars on Patches from division rivals. Get Pens, Isles and Rangers in. Anaheim, LA and San Jose, St. Louis and Nashville etc. Make sure they know each other are bidding on him and get them to up the anti just to make sure their rival doesn’t get him.

That’s the way to do it before the deadline imo.
Bergevin will trade him to Pittsburgh for Daniel Sprong and Dominik Simon.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Retaining salaries helps facilitate trades. That's pretty much all there is to it. Habs retained part of Weise's salary two years ago when they traded him and Fleischmann to Chicago for Danault and a 2nd. That deal is looked at as a clear win for Bergevin. For all we know, if Habs didn't retain, it could have been Danault and a 4th or Danault and a 3rd if they agreed to retain less than what they did. Or it could have been a 2nd and a lower tier prospect instead.

They also retained on DD's salary when they traded him to Edmonton for Davidson.

Despite players' cap hits and salaries having less of an impact, GM's would still rather save on cap to help maybe make more acquisitions and owners will never be against saving on salary, no matter how little is left to pay that player.

Gabriiel40

Dec 13, 2017

So much a stud that is that he doesn't center his own line?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yours is not a bad evaluation at all. I just think Gallagher has more value than he gets credit for, especially in Edmonton where he's a hero.

Draisaitl is clearly a potential superstar but hasn't yet established it as a certainty in my mind. Playing a lot with McDavid will do that.

Draistaitl got paid for being a winger with elite Center potential. He’d be HUGE risk in Montreal as we don’t need a winger and he hasn’t proven he’s a top 6 C, especially for that contract.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad