Proposal: Trade proposal thread - To sell or not to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I don’t think we would trade a perennial 30 goal scorer for two non nhl prospects lol.

I think Conner and Roslovic is the starting point.

You want have those two players

I would gladly settle down with Roslovic and Lemieux.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t think we would trade a perennial 30 goal scorer for two non nhl prospects lol.

Kyle Connor has 15 goals and 14 assists, the exact same output as Max. Why would they ever trade him? He’s younger, cheaper and producing just as much.

A package around Roslovic is what the Habs need but I don’t know why the Jets want wingers, they are set.

Reactions: sampollock

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
We'll if that's your argument...that we must use Plekanec the way we do, because we're so devoid of talent down the middle.

Then your argument makes even less sense (with all due respect).

How does playing the most capable player for a position not make sense?

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Kyle Connor has 15 goals and 14 assists, the exact same output as Max. Why would they ever trade him? He’s younger, cheaper and producing just as much.

A package around Roslovic is what the Habs need but I don’t know why the Jets want wingers, they are set.

Laine-Wheeler-Ehlers
Pacioretty-Schefele-Connor

Am i missing somebody that should be in their top 6? I don't really know their lineup very well.. But that is a sweeeet top 6. Would put them as contender right away.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Laine-Wheeler-Ehlers
Pacioretty-Schefele-Connor

Am i missing somebody that should be in their top 6? I don't really know their lineup very well.. But that is a sweeeet top 6. Would put them as contender right away.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers

Unless the goal is to push Connor down to the 3rd line. I don’t know. Though I do know they have Scheifele and Little for the next 6+ years. Maybe they feel Roslovic is expendable to guarantee and elite offence? But I don’t buy it, he can replace Perreault as 3C.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
How does playing the most capable player for a position not make sense?
Because he's not capable lol the results, both for the invidual (Plekanec) and the team, bare that out.

I have NEVER suggested Plekanec has no use on this team...he does.

Just not in the current role he has. The team, as a result of how poorly built it is (Bergevin critcism) relies on him waaaaayyyy too much.

Again, its not because there's a lack of quality at center, that we should be using a player who is on his last legs...quite the opposite, we should be using this opportunity, where there's no pressure of making the playoffs, to develop the players we have (Danault, DLR and for now, Drouin at C) and exposing them to situations that will make them more complete players, just as it happened to Plekanec once upon a time.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada

I agree.
I was thinking something around this recently about a Habs - Jets trade;
Connor + Roslovic + Lemieux
vs
Pacioretty + Shaw

Jets will want to add playoffs experience. For the Habs it would be a very interesting gamble to take.

Reactions: SakuKoivu11

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Because he's not capable lol the results, both for the invidual (Plekanec) and the team, bare that out.

I have NEVER suggested Plekanec has no use on this team...he does.

Just not in the current role he has. The team, as a result of how poorly built it is (Bergevin critcism) relies on him waaaaayyyy too much.

Again, its not because there's a lack of quality at center, that we should be using a player who is on his last legs...quite the opposite, we should be using this opportunity, where there's no pressure of making the playoffs, to develop the players we have (Danault, DLR and for now, Drouin at C) and exposing them to situations that will make them more complete players, just as it happened to Plekanec once upon a time.

Except Danault plays average 5 seconds less per game at ES than Plekanec. Drouin plays more than Plekanec. DLR has had ample opportunities in various positions. He's just not that good. He doesn't produce offense, his possession numbers are bad, his passing data is lousy and he just always looks over-matched. He wasn't even that great in the AHL.

I agree with the concept of giving younger players a chance to shine, but DLR has had chances. He's just not that good. McCarron has ton of work to do to play Plekanec-type minutes in the AHL atm. Froese is a 26 year old with his 4th franchise and has less NHL experience and opportunity than DLR has gotten (apart from when Toronto played him when they were intentionally tanking).

Plekanec also earned his playing time on playoff team, he wasn't gifted it. He had Bonk, Ribs and Koivu to compete with. When he showed what he was capable of (outplaying Bonk, being much more defensively capable than Ribeiro), the team took a chance and made room for him. DLR, Froese and McCarron haven't even shown they're NHLers yet.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
turn-off-your-name
Turns out I don't know how to post images.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

Here's where you go wrong with your train of thought. Last I heard, MB and CJ were still gunning for the playoffs. Until this changes, CJ will go with the best tools at his disposal.

Further, there's an argument to be made that the current deployment isn't bad from a development perspective, but I won't go there since that not where the team is at just yet.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Except Danault plays average 5 seconds less per game at ES than Plekanec. Drouin plays more than Plekanec. DLR has had ample opportunities in various positions. He's just not that good. He doesn't produce offense, his possession numbers are bad, his passing data is lousy and he just always looks over-matched. He wasn't even that great in the AHL.

I agree with the concept of giving younger players a chance to shine, but DLR has had chances. He's just not that good. McCarron has ton of work to do to play Plekanec-type minutes in the AHL atm. Froese is a 26 year old with his 4th franchise and has less NHL experience and opportunity than DLR has gotten (apart from when Toronto played him when they were intentionally tanking).

Plekanec also earned his playing time on playoff team, he wasn't gifted it. He had Bonk, Ribs and Koivu to compete with. When he showed what he was capable of (outplaying Bonk, being much more defensively capable than Ribeiro), the team took a chance and made room for him. DLR, Froese and McCarron haven't even shown they're NHLers yet.

The season is lost, at this point why not just give young guys like DLR and even McCarron a chance now to play meaningful minutes in meaningless games to see how they perform with consistent roles. If they continue to show no improvement, then move on from them and look for help in the summer. If they play well, that bodes well for them to getting full-time jobs next year.

I am not saying that I think guys like McCarron/DLR will end up being regular NHLers.. but I'd rather try them out than play career scrubs like Logan Shaw and Froese , the team isn't making the playoffs so might as well give some of our recent draft picks regular ice time because even if they struggle, it means a better pick for us.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Not even close to true...his opportunities have been VERY limited, perfect example a few games ago.

he starts out playing center between Drouin/Galchenyuk, it last all of 2 periods. How do you expect a player, who already has shaky confidence, to play well in that scenario? When he knows he's one mistake away from being relegated???

To say he's gotten 'ample' opportunities is a gross exaggeration.

Again, DLR hasn't had his chances, that's pure fallacy. He's played 29 games this year averaing 9:54. He's barely gotten any short handed time as well, an area where the team SHOULD be using him since he's actually great at cutting off passing lanes. But nah, gotta make sure 35yr old Plekanec gets as much icetime on the 24th ranked PK.

Bonk was done as a player at that point...and the Ribeiro trade was a terrible, terrible trade.

But the team MADE room for him by trading Ribeiro away, it opened up a spot for him and to his credit. He took advantage of it.

But I recall Plekanec's first 2 years in the NHL, no one (well I did) thought he'd ever be more than a spare part. He didn't have the reputation for being a solid defensive center as he does now and there were question marks at how much he could contribute offensively.

But, and this is key, the team invested in his development, they molded him, they built him up...they didn't stick him behind Koivu and say we're going to play Koivu in all situations and you can pick up the scraps.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Here's where you go wrong with your train of thought. Last I heard, MB and CJ were still gunning for the playoffs. Until this changes, CJ will go with the best tools at his disposal.

Further, there's an argument to be made that the current deployment isn't bad from a development perspective, but I won't go there since that not where the team is at just yet.
CJ and MB can be delusional and think we're making the playoffs all they want...doesn't change the fact they won't.

All we're doing is getting closer to picking 14th or 15th and further away from having the opportunity to draft an impact player.

but thats what we like in Montreal...mediocrity and no one represents that better on the Habs than Tomas Plekanec. He's the poster boy for what the Habs have been the last decade.

Good, at times very good...but just never good enough.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
turn-off-your-name
Turns out I don't know how to post images.

I can give it a try if you could just post the link in a post, without resorting to the image icon, above. It probably has to do with the suffix of the image you're using, just needs to be converted into a more conventional code.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
The season is lost, at this point why not just give young guys like DLR and even McCarron a chance now to play meaningful minutes in meaningless games to see how they perform with consistent roles. If they continue to show no improvement, then move on from them and look for help in the summer. If they play well, that bodes well for them to getting full-time jobs next year.

I am not saying that I think guys like McCarron/DLR will end up being regular NHLers.. but I'd rather try them out than play career scrubs like Logan Shaw and Froese , the team isn't making the playoffs so might as well give some of our recent draft picks regular ice time because even if they struggle, it means a better pick for us.

I'm fine with that too. And I expect it when they trade Plecky as a rental. But the Habs can't be picky about centers for next season.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Not even close to true...his opportunities have been VERY limited, perfect example a few games ago.

he starts out playing center between Drouin/Galchenyuk, it last all of 2 periods. How do you expect a player, who already has shaky confidence, to play well in that scenario? When he knows he's one mistake away from being relegated???

To say he's gotten 'ample' opportunities is a gross exaggeration.

DLR has nearly 100 games in the NHL. He hasn't distinguished himself in any way. If you can't stand out at all in limited, easier minutes, I'm not sure why harder minutes is going to help him. Lets not pretend he's got another offensive gear. He's never been an offensive player.

Again, DLR hasn't had his chances, that's pure fallacy. He's played 29 games this year averaing 9:54. He's barely gotten any short handed time as well, an area where the team SHOULD be using him since he's actually great at cutting off passing lanes. But nah, gotta make sure 35yr old Plekanec gets as much icetime on the 24th ranked PK.

DLR is fine at cutting off passing lanes, but he's garbage at managing the puck and his reads are to slow.

Bonk was done as a player at that point...and the Ribeiro trade was a terrible, terrible trade.

But the team MADE room for him by trading Ribeiro away, it opened up a spot for him and to his credit. He took advantage of it.

But I recall Plekanec's first 2 years in the NHL, no one (well I did) thought he'd ever be more than a spare part. He didn't have the reputation for being a solid defensive center as he does now and there were question marks at how much he could contribute offensively.

But, and this is key, the team invested in his development, they molded him, they built him up...they didn't stick him behind Koivu and say we're going to play Koivu in all situations and you can pick up the scraps.

Bonk was a decent 3rd C after he left Montreal too. And unless you're including Plekanec's two game cup of coffee, his 2nd (full) season he had 20 goals and finished tied for 5th on the team in points (with Kovalev). He was not some mystery guy, many people where excited about him after his first two full seasons.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
watch Hanifin tonight, I bet MB is

I hope you are right.

Hanifin is second pairing only because of how deep the Canes D is. He is starting to push for 1st pairing minutes.

To me, he would be perfect for a Habs rebuild.

The Canes are not Cup contenders but it is very clear they are desperate to just get in the post season.

They need some more forward scoring, especially now that Aho has gone down.

If MB was going to trade Chucky, who I really like and would rather keep, I would be happy if it was for Hanifin. We would have to add I am sure.

Such a trade would then also give us the opportunity to move Weber.

Hanifin along with Montour are the 2 PMDs that I think possibly might be obtainable and have top pair potential. Hanifin is the guy to get though.

Hanifin and a couple of top C prospects or young players with 1C ceilings would be a great start to a re-sucetation of this team. Ideally we could use a combination of Patches , Shaw, Weber, and Gallagher to get these pieces. Even more ideally we keep Gallagher, but if we have to we do it.

Janne Niinimaa

"Character"
Sep 28, 2017
Montreal
I would put the chances of us getting Roslovic + Connor for Pacioretty and Shaw at about 0%.

The difference between Connor and Pacioretty right now isn't huge as it is. Roslovic is a fantastic plater as well. Probably has more value than Shaw as well.

Roslovic + Lemieux + maybe a little sweetener is already a good deal. Lets not be greedy and expect Connor + Roslovic. Were just going to be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad