Proposal: Trade proposal thread - To sell or not to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You honestly think a team so devoid of center depth can't simultaneously have Plekanec play minutes and try Byron, DLR, etc. at center? because they have.

I think a team so devoid of center depth and scoring...can't afford to use Plekaenc 16 mins a game.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Backlund sounds like he wants to stay in Calgary, I'm not sure why he's any more attainable than a Tavares.
That's fine...point is we have options, both internally AND externally to improve the quality of our centers.

We are not a playoff team WITH Plekanec playing an important role...what exactly do you think is going to happen to the Habs if Plekaenc is gone?

What is this fear everyone has??

LoonieDeals

Jan 10, 2018
So, here's my outrageous wet dream dream.
It involves trading away Weber to Toronto for Nylander.
Somehow Shaw, Plekanec, Price trades give us enough assets to trade for McDonaugh and Karlsson or Doughty at next trade deadline and resign them at super cheap contracts.
And we sign Tavares at a super cheap contract.

Pacioretty ($7.5)Tavares ($12)Gallagher ($3.75)$23.75
Drouin ($5.5)Nylander ($6)Galchenyuk ($4.9)$16.40
Hudon ($1)Danault ($1.5)Lekhonen ($1.5)$4.00
Deslauriers ($1.5)DeLaRose ($1)Scherbak ($1)$3.50
McDonaugh ($9.0)Doughty/Karlsson ($11.5) $20.50
Mete ($1)Petry ($5.5) $6.50
Jerabek ($1)Juulsen ($1) $2.00
Lindgren ($1) $1.00
$77.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

LoonieDeals

Jan 10, 2018
Somehow Shaw, Plekanec, Price trades give us enough assets to trade for McDonaugh and Karlsson or Doughty at next trade deadline and resign them at super cheap contracts.

McDonaugh ($9.0)Doughty/Karlsson ($11.5)$20.50
Mete ($1)Petry ($5.5)$6.50
Jerabek ($1)Juulsen ($1)$2.00
Lindgren ($1)$1.00
$77.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I am not saying this has a chance in hell of happening, but it would be great if it did.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think a team so devoid of center depth and scoring...can't afford to use Plekaenc 16 mins a game.

Team with no center can't afford to play one of two decent center's it has? Huh?

That's fine...point is we have options, both internally AND externally to improve the quality of our centers.

We are not a playoff team WITH Plekanec playing an important role...what exactly do you think is going to happen to the Habs if Plekaenc is gone?

I'm not saying Montreal needs to keep Plekanec, I'm saying they can't afford to only consider him as a 4th liner.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010

McDonaugh ($9.0)Doughty/Karlsson ($11.5)$20.50
Mete ($1)Petry ($5.5)$6.50
Jerabek ($1)Juulsen ($1)$2.00
Lindgren ($1)$1.00
$77.65
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I kind of love the idea of an entire line of guys that probably aren't centers, but all maybe are:laugh:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He might bring a 4 to 6 points more a season....but that's it.

Philip Danault LAST YEAR, had 40pts....the LAST 2 YEARS (last year and this year up to date), Plekanec has 44pts.

STOP

Those points will be lost the other way cause Danault don't have enough experience defensively yet.

And how exactly is he going to get more experience, if he doesn't get the opportunity to play that role because Plekanec has it? How is he supposed to learn (like Plekanec did once upon a time) if he's never exposed to those situatons?

He won't produce more in a defensive role. Not while taking 65% of the team's defensive zone starts and away from quality offensive linesmates. No one would.

First of all, Plekanec has played the majority of the year with our top goal scorer...secondly, maybe the coach needs to revise the way he deploys his players.

Danault is a 40pts-45 players so far while playing top 6 minutes right now...and playing with top offensive linesmates. He'll drop to 30-35pts. Plekanec is on pace for 30 points.

So what's the issue????

Plekanec on the 3rd line is not a problem for the Habs. It's not a solution either.
Danault on the 3rd line will not improve the Habs one bit.

We agree there...it won't improve the Habs one bit because their real need lies in the top 6.

You think Danault is better than Plekanec?
Yes I believe that he is. Not to mention that he's still improving as a player and if this team decided to invest as much time into developing their players as they have Plekanec, we'd be much better off as an organization.

Let's say Danault is a better 3rd liner than Plekanec, then you need someone better than Danault as #2C to take his place, cause otherwise you're not talking about making the team better.

And that's exactly what i'm talking about doing.

Bilgerat10

Feb 14, 2010
Michigan

Have to agree here. Watching this team trying to resolve its issue at the center position is like watching an amputee play twister. It cannot be done with the current lineup and prospect pool at the moment. A #1 center is elusive--a #3 center is replaceable. Plekanec has done yeoman's work this year--however, this is a team that is hopelessly mired in mediocrity and won't make the playoffs. So it is time to part out the players that don't fit any plan moving forward at the trade deadline or in the off-season. As impending free agent, Plekanec must be traded before the Feb trade deadline for some asset(s) or he will most probably walk away at the end of the season as a free agent. This team is going nowhere fast and needs a do-over. Whether MB should be the architect of this reboot is another story. Trading Plakenec is not going to change the outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Team with no center can't afford to play one of two decent center's it has? Huh?

YOU qualify Plekanec as 'decent'. I don't.

I don't think that today, in 2018, you can have a center playing 16 mins a game and bringing virtually nothing offensively. It would be like if the Pens decided to use Riley Sheehan as much as they do Crosby. It's absolute nonsense.

Find me another team, any team, that has this type of deployment for one of their centers who is a defense-first center?

Find me some comparables to Plekanec and let's look at how they are deployed.

I'm not saying Montreal needs to keep Plekanec, I'm saying they can't afford to only consider him as a 4th liner.

Completely disagree

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
How did the puck get to Plekanec? What did he do with it. Stop focusing on statistically insignificant individual instances.

Dig into the stats and watch the games. I'm not saying Plekanec is useless, but he's an offensive drag. There's a reason his WOWY stats away from Gallagher are lousy.

I am watching the games.

And I see a really solid 5on5 line and it starts with the center.

They played together the majority of the season, the ice time apart is not high enough to be able to draw conclusions.

I'm not even trying to argue that Plekanec is an offensive dynamo...He's clearly not as good as he once was but he's not as bad as @417 keeps saying.

Again...Plekanec has 18ES points this year

- 5 of those points are EN assists
- He's spent over a FULL game more at ES TOI then Galchenyuk and Drouin

You can keep promoting the idea that he contributes more offensively than I think...but as I said earlier, you're numbers provide ZERO context.

Again this crazy idea that more ice time equals more points?

You could play Galchenyuk 30 minutes a night and I can guarantee you he won't triple his production.

My numbers provide zero context? What context do you want? Those are pretty straight numbers...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I am watching the games.

And I see a really solid 5on5 line and it starts with the center.

They played together the majority of the season, the ice time apart is not high enough to be able to draw conclusions.

I'm not even trying to argue that Plekanec is an offensive dynamo...He's clearly not as good as he once was but he's not as bad as @417 keeps saying.

He's actually worse than what i'm saying, i'm being extremely polite

Again this crazy idea that more ice time equals more points?

Crazy huh? lol ok

You could play Galchenyuk 30 minutes a night and I can guarantee you he won't triple his production.

Actually, you can't.

My numbers provide zero context? What context do you want? Those are pretty straight numbers...
That's correct...ZERO context.

You said that Plekanec has been on the ice for 307 scoring chances FOR

- First, not saying you're lying, but where did you get these numbers from? I'd be curious to see
- Secondly, being on the ice, does NOT mean you were integral into generating that scoring chance for (this is the context part i'm referring too). It's like +/-, you can't at that stat on it's own, without any context, and really extrapolate much from it.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Philip Danault LAST YEAR, had 40pts....the LAST 2 YEARS (last year and this year up to date), Plekanec has 44pts.
STOP
And how exactly is he going to get more experience, if he doesn't get the opportunity to play that role because Plekanec has it? How is he supposed to learn (like Plekanec did once upon a time) if he's never exposed to those situatons?

First of all, Plekanec has played the majority of the year with our top goal scorer...secondly, maybe the coach needs to revise the way he deploys his players.

So what's the issue????
We agree there...it won't improve the Habs one bit because their real need lies in the top 6.

Yes I believe that he is. Not to mention that he's still improving as a player and if this team decided to invest as much time into developing their players as they have Plekanec, we'd be much better off as an organization.

And that's exactly what i'm talking about doing.

Danault is good where he is right now to learn the role. Playing in a 2-way role cause you want him to produce offensively and get some confidence while getting some defensive missions. He's getting experience now. You want him to be the first line of defense at 24yo against the top player in the NHL nights in and nights out and you think he'll have upperhand often? I don't know why you are asking to do the same thing we did to Eller.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Danault is good where he is right now to learn the role. Playing in a 2-way role cause you want him to produce offensively and get some confidence while getting some defensive missions. He's getting experience now. You want him to be the first line of defense at 24yo against the top player in the NHL nights in and nights out and you think he'll have upperhand often? I don't know why you are asking to do the same thing we did to Eller.

Actually no...I want this team to get a point where our first line of defense against top players are our first line.

strength vs strength...that's how the majority of teams operate.

They have centers who can play BOTH ways, and contribute at BOTH ends of the ice.

Their role players, which is what Plekanec is, are used for situational reasons (faceoff, PK). They are not relied upon to shadow the oppositions top lines because that means your best players are sitting on the bench.

IF the Habs want to continue to use Plekanec as they have, then he should be playing with Pacioretty and Drouin on his wings. Otherwise, well, you end up with a team like we have today.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
If the Habs can get Hanifin (Eklund rumour I know), Thomas, Hutton and two 1sts for Pacioretty and Price we’re well on our way to fixing this. Then we draft a blue chip D with our high pick and use our new 1sts wisely. Even packaging them with our 2nds to move up.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
According to Insta account goaliecreasenet there is a rumour that the Blues offered Jake Allen and two 1st for Price.
Bergevin supposedly countered with two firsts, Thomas and Carter Hutton for Price.

Now, the Blues are tight against the cap, Mtl could retain salary and cap on Price's expiring contract but the Blues would have to do some serious work to fit Prices cap hit next season...

I like the second deal. Hate to lose Price but that's a good package to kick start a re-build. Hutton can be place holder until Lindgren/McNiven is ready to take over.

Thoughts?!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
According to Insta account goaliecreasenet there is a rumour that the Blues offered Jake Allen and two 1st for Price.
Bergevin supposedly countered with two firsts, Thomas and Carter Hutton for Price.

Now, the Blues are tight against the cap, Mtl could retain salary and cap on Price's expiring contract but the Blues would have to do some serious work to fit Prices cap hit next season...

I like the second deal. Hate to lose Price but that's a good package to kick start a re-build. Hutton can be place holder until Lindgren/McNiven is ready to take over.

Thoughts?!

It's a rumor that originated from 91.9 FM's JC Lajoie. The goalie site you quote doesn't attribute it to anyone but that's where it comes from.

It's JC, so it could mean anything. He's broken some stuff but he's also been dead wrong.

Reactions: Zam Boni

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
It's a rumor that originated from 91.9 FM's JC Lajoie. The goalie site you quote doesn't attribute it to anyone but that's where it comes from.

It's JC, so it could mean anything. He's broken some stuff but he's also been dead wrong.

woudlnt be surprised if it comes from a place of truth that the blues asked about Price but the details of it? I doubt JC Lajoie has details like this tbh

Reactions: Runner77

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
TSN mentioned Winnipeg interested in Max Pacioretty even though they have Laine, Wheeler, Ehler on the wing.

You can see something like Plekanec and Pacioretty for Kyle Conner, Jack Roslovic and first.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
YOU qualify Plekanec as 'decent'. I don't.

I don't think that today, in 2018, you can have a center playing 16 mins a game and bringing virtually nothing offensively. It would be like if the Pens decided to use Riley Sheehan as much as they do Crosby. It's absolute nonsense.

Find me another team, any team, that has this type of deployment for one of their centers who is a defense-first center?

Find me some comparables to Plekanec and let's look at how they are deployed.

Completely disagree

Find me another team as completely devoid of talent at center throughout the organization.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Find me another team as completely devoid of talent at center throughout the organization.
We'll if that's your argument...that we must use Plekanec the way we do, because we're so devoid of talent down the middle.

Then your argument makes even less sense (with all due respect).

Not having enough talent down the middle, doesn't mean we should keep playing a player on his last legs into the ground.

Quite the opposite, it means we should trying to unearth C's who are currently buried under Plekanec's usage.

You know once upon a time, Plekanec was a barely used C playing behind Koivu and Ribeiro. He got an opportunity because Gainey traded Ribeiro...

Whose to say Danault can't develop into a strong 2 way center (maybe not quite as good as plekanec was in his prime, but a notch below would still be very good)....or DLR.

But as long as they keep prioritizing Plekanec over everyone else, nothing will ever change

Last edited:

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
TSN mentioned Winnipeg interested in Max Pacioretty even though they have Laine, Wheeler, Ehler on the wing.

You can see something like Plekanec and Pacioretty for Kyle Conner, Jack Roslovic and first.

We won't have all this.

Pacioretty
Shaw

Vs

Roslovic
Lemieux

That would be my proposal. Winnipeg is full of young prospects. Their time has come to sacrifice some of them to make their team better during that window. Let's try to take advantage of this.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
We won't have all this.

Pacioretty
Shaw

Vs

Roslovic
Lemieux

That would be my proposal. Winnipeg is full of young prospects. Their time has come to sacrifice some of them to make their team better during that window. Let's try to take advantage of this.

I don’t think we would trade a perennial 30 goal scorer for two non nhl prospects lol.

I think Conner and Roslovic is the starting point.

Reactions: KawaYui and Yoor
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad