Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Sir John Tavares.. please save us edition)

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
The Habs only have one centerman (Chucky) to fill a role on the top 2 lines. Trading him for Tavares leaves us in the same predicament with only having one, top 2 centerman.
You simply can't fill one hole while creating another similar size hole.
Those of you that don't realize that are the same ones that think Bergy effed up and think he should have made a trade just for the sake of making a trade.
I'm sure he looked at many more trade scenarios than all of us have considered and he used some simple theories to guide him. One theory is 'Don't fill one hole while creating another hole'. Another one I'm sure he uses is 'Don't TOTALLY mortgage the future (prospects and picks) on one trade'.
Thank God Bergy is the Habs GM and not some of you.
Mark my words, Bergy and his minions are keenly aware of where the team weakness is and he will fill it when the cost and price are aligned more closely.
Personally, I expect something big this offseason.

If this was true, he would have traded pleks instead of extending him with a raise at the start of the season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Plekanec probably needs to be included for salary cap and roster purposes.

In which case the Habs have to pay for more than Tavares legitimate trade value, as they're throwing in a negative-value asset.

So my offer would be:
1sy rounder 2017
1st rounder 2018
2nd rounder 2017
2nd rounder 2018
Tomas Plekanec

The two 2nd rounders compensate for the inclusion of Plekanec.
If it's picks and prospects at the very least you'd have to include Sergachev.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Define utility?

16 playoff goals, 35 playoff pts, all while being 24yrs old.......does this fall under the utility catergory?

You may want to hold off on your playoff prediction kreskin, that chicago team is NOT the habs team. He doesn't play with nearly the same talent here as there and we haven't seen a single playoff goal HERE to say he will light the lamp on any kind of basis come the postseason.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it's picks and prospects at the very least you'd have to include Sergachev.

So you don't think the Islanders want to just sell their franchise player for a bunch of crappy picks? If they made that kind of deal you may as well just pack up the franchise and move them to Quebec or something.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
So you don't think the Islanders want to just sell their franchise player for a bunch of crappy picks? If they made that kind of deal you may as well just pack up the franchise and move them to Quebec or something.

You cant wait the UFA year of a franchise player and asking primary NHL players in return. So if we are where we are actually, its probably because Garth Snow is already settled on JT and will work to sign him during the next few months.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You cant wait the UFA year of a franchise player and asking primary NHL players in return. So if we are where we are actually, its probably because Garth Snow is already settled on JT and will work to sign him during the next few months.

If they trade him this summer they can get a heck of a lot. If they keep waiting until he is a UFA rental at the deadline then his value will drop lower. Who knows, he might sign an 8 year deal and all this talk is pointless. It's nice to dream of having a legit franchise center though.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Columbus survived trading Rick Nash. He was their franchise player and the fans there loved him. I used to live in Columbus, they told home he was a top ten player in the world.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Columbus survived trading Rick Nash. He was their franchise player and the fans there loved him. I used to live in Columbus, they told home he was a top ten player in the world.

We barely survived not drafting Kopitar but I think we've finally been able to move on to the next chapter of the Hab's history.

Nash, in a lot of ways similar to Pacioretty. You need guys like him but they can't be the main pieces of your team's puzzle. Guys like Toews, Crosby or Tavares are what you need at your core.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
We barely survived not drafting Kopitar but I think we've finally been able to move on to the next chapter of the Hab's history.

Nash, in a lot of ways similar to Pacioretty. You need guys like him but they can't be the main pieces of your team's puzzle. Guys like Toews, Crosby or Tavares are what you need at your core.

Isn't Patches from NYC?

Wonder if Patches+ would net us a re-signed JT... captain swap. :sarcasm:

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Now Tavares, thats a player Id trade Sergachev for and not look back

I didnt want to do it for Duchene but Tavares is on another level.

Matthews - Tavares matchup for years to come? Yes

Fucale or Lindgren
Sergachev
Galchenyuk
1st rd pick

Would be my offer

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Now Tavares, thats a player Id trade Sergachev for and not look back

I didnt want to do it for Duchene but Tavares is on another level.

Matthews - Tavares matchup for years to come? Yes

Fucale or Lindgren
Sergachev
Galchenyuk
1st rd pick

Would be my offer

He has 1 year left

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'd do it.

I would, too. For anyone who is willing to argue about Habs trading their only bonafide 30-goal scorer who flirted with 40 goals twice, I'll add that Tavares is a bonafide 30-goal scorer as well. On top of that he is a centerman, and one of the game's best at that position.

I'd even add to it a pick because I'm not sure Pacioretty can get you Tavares 1-for-1. But I could be wrong. Maybe the fact Pacioretty is on a bargain deal for another two seasons while Tavares will be more expensive and only has 1 year left.

If we could somehow get Tavares without giving up Galchenyuk and Sergachev, I'm for it.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I would, too. For anyone who is willing to argue about Habs trading their only bonafide 30-goal scorer who flirted with 40 goals twice, I'll add that Tavares is a bonafide 30-goal scorer as well. On top of that he is a centerman, and one of the game's best at that position.

I'd even add to it a pick because I'm not sure Pacioretty can get you Tavares 1-for-1. But I could be wrong. Maybe the fact Pacioretty is on a bargain deal for another two seasons while Tavares will be more expensive and only has 1 year left.

If we could somehow get Tavares without giving up Galchenyuk and Sergachev, I'm for it.

I'm also open to using Galchenyuk instead of Pacioretty to get Tavares, but Sergachev is solidly on my "do not trade" list.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Same here, Pacioretty for all the flack he gets is a) more proven b) a smarter hockey player IMO.

His skating ability maybe makes it appear so, but I'm not entirely sure that he's really all that much "smarter" than Galchenyuk. He's a fine PK'er but when he's not skating with the puck off the rush he is usually quite useless out there.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Any deal for Tavares would have to be dependent on him signing a new contract, or it being a sign-and-trade situation, but Tavares is one of the few players I'd have no problem trading Galchenyuk+Sergachev for, to be honest.

Of course, if the Habs do decide to go into a rebuild because they get the indication that Price won't re-sign, it's a different story. Until then, though, all indications seem be that they're going for it for at least another year and Tavares is that legitimate, #1, top-10 center we need.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
The Isles were even trying to offer JT's agent a job in the organization...he declined, so could JT be on the move? Maybe...he gets to call the shots I would think...as to where he goes. He might want to go to the Habs, because of Price...the TC connection, and Weber also....

Far fetched? Comes down to the stability of the Isles, and their new home?

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Any deal for Tavares would have to be dependent on him signing a new contract, or it being a sign-and-trade situation, but Tavares is one of the few players I'd have no problem trading Galchenyuk+Sergachev for, to be honest.

Of course, if the Habs do decide to go into a rebuild because they get the indication that Price won't re-sign, it's a different story. Until then, though, all indications seem be that they're going for it for at least another year and Tavares is that legitimate, #1, top-10 center we need.

The most I'd pay for Tavares would be Galchenyuk + a minor piece and I would want a swap of 1st round picks this year. A Top 3 pick and a Top 10 pick is too much for Tavares. Tavares could well be halfway through the productive part of his career, certainly the cost controlled portion of it.

Losing Price shouldn't be the main reason to do a rebuild, we may end up doing a rebuild due to crappy goaltending but I would think we'll do what we need to be able to get a decent enough goalie, even if it means trading a 1st round pick.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I'm also open to using Galchenyuk instead of Pacioretty to get Tavares, but Sergachev is solidly on my "do not trade" list.

Agreed that I would be open to moving Chuck. However, moving Patches may be better longer term since he'll be due for a raise, likely more than what Chuck would get this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->