Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
All those trades can be done this summer. Why threw away the effort of your team while all of this can be done later?

Benn is a UFA.

Guys like Shaw, Peca, Schlemko et. are widely available in the offseason.

Deadline prices get wacky BC GM's are under pressure & the allure to make a move to "make a deep run", or even just to make the PO'S is a big factor. Leading into July 1, all the GM spots are secure, far less pressure & far fewer "win-now" trade options.

Finally, as I suggested, I don't think moving those players hurts us all that much in the short term... This isn't a 4-series team either way, doing nothing (or worse, giving up assets for short term depth) would be foolish in a "grasping at straws" way

Reactions: Mrb1p

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not really. Habs next 3 opponents are Ducks, Jets and Leafs. Bergevin went to the Ducks/Jets game and now Ducks/Leafs.

Despite that, if I had to speculate - Silfverberg, Fowler and Lindholm are all guys I could see in a habs uniform.

Why would Bergevin be concerned about scouting these teams prior to games unless he was also looking at their roster?

The Ducks are sellers at this deadline for sure. Maybe one of their two LHD in Fowler and Lindholm are available. I'd give a first this year and whatever else not a top WJC prospect for one of them any day.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
GM's don't advance scout opponents. doesn't happen. he's looking at someone

I’m sure he’s doing both. He is after all an NHL veteran of almost 20 years, and a previous scout with the Blackhawks. I’m sure his travel budget is unlimited and that he takes in many games a year. To say a GM never advance scouts teams is a bit silly. Think they get paid millions of dollars just to call their friends?

Reactions: Vachon23

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I did another for you, but this time let's llok at the big picture.

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Suzuki - Danault - Byron
Lehkonen - Poehling - Shaw
Chaput - Peca - Deslauriers
Hudon - Evans - Ikonen
Ylonen

Now, Poehling won't play 4th line if everything goes to plan and now you need to ship one of your center before they dropped in value by playing lesser role. Maybe move Domi to the wing (Bergevin did say that at the end of the day, he sees Domi as a winger). On the left? No problem but then don't play Tatar on the 3rd cause he'll lose value. You got also Lehkonen now on your 4th line losing value.

You see the point. It's not about where the player ends.
Before wanting to go out and spend 9.5M for 7 years on a guy like Stone or Duchene or whatever.....this team should already be planning about what will come next. Nobody wants to trade Poehling today, but if he ends up on the 4th line, better trade him right today while his value is high/uncertain.

I'm actually confused. Weseemed to all agree that the club needs more talent. If we get more talent, then the third line may well be like other teams' second lines and the fourth line will be like other teams' third lines. This is a good thing, and I doubt this diminishes the good player's value. However, even if it did, even if Tavares' trade value is less because he is the Leafs' second centre and not the Islanders' first centre, do you think Toronto fans worry?

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We could just sign Nyquist this summer as ufa

If they really wanted to trade Lehkonen, he could be used in a packag to secure a player who is younger and with term -- and that type of acquisition would be more in line with what MB prefers as per his mid-season presser.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Despite that, if I had to speculate - Silfverberg, Fowler and Lindholm are all guys I could see in a habs uniform.

Why would Bergevin be concerned about scouting these teams prior to games unless he was also looking at their roster?

The Ducks are sellers at this deadline for sure. Maybe one of their two LHD in Fowler and Lindholm are available. I'd give a first this year and whatever else not a top WJC prospect for one of them any day.

realy doubt Lindholm is on the market, if he is. he's a guy i'd be willing to give a very decent package for!

i wouldn't touch fowler tho

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I did another for you, but this time let's llok at the big picture.

Drouin - Domi - Gallagher
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Suzuki - Danault - Byron
Lehkonen - Poehling - Shaw
Chaput - Peca - Deslauriers
Hudon - Evans - Ikonen
Ylonen

Now, Poehling won't play 4th line if everything goes to plan and now you need to ship one of your center before they dropped in value by playing lesser role. Maybe move Domi to the wing (Bergevin did say that at the end of the day, he sees Domi as a winger). On the left? No problem but then don't play Tatar on the 3rd cause he'll lose value. You got also Lehkonen now on your 4th line losing value.

You see the point. It's not about where the player ends.
Before wanting to go out and spend 9.5M for 7 years on a guy like Stone or Duchene or whatever.....this team should already be planning about what will come next. Nobody wants to trade Poehling today, but if he ends up on the 4th line, better trade him right today while his value is high/uncertain.
I'll happily trade Poehling today or any other player for that matter. As it currently stands, I have 0 untouchable player. I'd move Kotka too if need be.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
realy doubt Lindholm is on the market, if he is. he's a guy i'd be willing to give a very decent package for!

i wouldn't touch fowler tho
If i was the Habs i'd go all in on Lindholm but it'll cost, Fowler is the guy i'd try to get if the price isn't too much, he's not getting younger & appears to be made of glass for a guy who avoids hits.

If they do get Fowler, Fowler/Weber is the kind of pairing Fowler does well with. They've always paired Fowler up with big strong RHD whether it be Beauchimen, Manson etc cause he's rather soft.

Toligwen

Jan 5, 2019
I'll happily trade Poehling today or any other player for that matter. As it currently stands, I have 0 untouchable player. I'd move Kotka too if need be.
In all seriousness, the only scenarii I would move Kotkaniemi would ba McDavid, or a so fleeced trade that no one could refuse. Untouchable is not litteral, but this few cases means untouchable.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Mike Milbury......is that you :laugh:

There’s about 8 players in the organization that I’m keeping moving forward ....
Price
Weber
Domi
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Brook
Romanov

The rest I’m ready to trade if it makes us better.

I was on the fence with Price the last few months but I’m going with him now.....these are my for sure building blocks.

I’d package Suzuki if it meant a great return

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Been some red flags around Duchene during his career. For that kind of money we need to be sure what we are getting. He may well work out. But I would not take the risk

I agree. Duchene is not the type of player we need to add to our mix of forwards. If he wants to sign for cheap yes, but that's not happening. Jets might be a good fit if they can afford him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

There’s about 8 players in the organization that I’m keeping moving forward ....
Price
Weber
Domi
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Brook
Romanov

I was on the fence with Price the last few months but I’m going with him now.....these are my for sure building blocks.

Assuming Fowler blocks a trade to Mtl and the Habs target Lindholm, what do you figure they’d have to add to Drouin to git ‘er done? I’m thinking the Habs could also soften the blow by taking back a toxic contract.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Price
Weber
Domi
Gallagher
Kotkaniemi
Poehling
Brook
Romanov

I'm wondering if what you mean by these absolute statements is that you don't think you would get a return that would satisfy you for the 8 guys on the list, whereas for everyone else you can envisage a possible deal. Is that right?

Because I don't think there is literally no one in the League you would accept back in a trade for Domi or Gallagher, for instance.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Benn is a UFA.

Guys like Shaw, Peca, Schlemko et. are widely available in the offseason.

Deadline prices get wacky BC GM's are under pressure & the allure to make a move to "make a deep run", or even just to make the PO'S is a big factor. Leading into July 1, all the GM spots are secure, far less pressure & far fewer "win-now" trade options.

Finally, as I suggested, I don't think moving those players hurts us all that much in the short term... This isn't a 4-series team either way, doing nothing (or worse, giving up assets for short term depth) would be foolish in a "grasping at straws" way

Players you named are not those the GMs go after hard to go into the PO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin vs Gallagher. I'd be trading Gallagher before I trade Drouin. I get how popular Gallagher is with our fan base and in the dressing room but he is getting close to UFA and I don't think he can maintain his level of play throughout his 30's. Rather get value in return for him now when it's high. Drouin is just touching his prime years and replacing his skill won't be easy.

Gallagher for Lindholm straight up
or
Gallagher and Reilly for Lindholm and a 2020 2nd.
or
Gallagher and Reilly for Lindholm and Silfverberg

Last edited:

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I'm actually confused. Weseemed to all agree that the club needs more talent. If we get more talent, then the third line may well be like other teams' second lines and the fourth line will be like other teams' third lines. This is a good thing, and I doubt this diminishes the good player's value. However, even if it did, even if Tavares' trade value is less because he is the Leafs' second centre and not the Islanders' first centre, do you think Toronto fans worry?

We are not in the same situation as the Leafs either.....but as an example Kadri score 32 goals in bakc to back season....won't score that much this year (on pace for only 18-19) , that's the result from being played on the 3rd line instead of the 2nd line

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Assuming Fowler blocks a trade to Mtl and the Habs target Lindholm, what do you figure they’d have to add to Drouin to git ‘er done? I’m thinking the Habs could also soften the blow by taking back a toxic contract.
Lindholm - if a team were to get him i consider the Habs one of the teams likely to get him.
Murray/Bergevin connection plays a role in it imo. They've known each other since the 1980s.

Reactions: Runner77

habsfan891

Jun 24, 2012
Nova Scotia
MB scouting Anaheim has me incredibly worried that he will do something stupid like our 1st + for a very average defenseman in Fowler ffs

Reactions: Mrb1p

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We are not in the same situation as the Leafs either.....but as an example Kadri score 32 goals in bakc to back season....won't score that much this year (on pace for only 18-19) , that's the result from being played on the 3rd line instead of the 2nd line

So Kadri's value is less now? Let's ask the Toronto GM to trade him to the Habs as if his value was only as an 18 goal scorer and see what he says.

So what does that mean? Toronto shoudn't have signed Tavares in order to leave a higher value for Kadri, who they could then trade??

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I'm wondering if what you mean by these absolute statements is that you don't think you would get a return that would satisfy you for the 8 guys on the list, whereas for everyone else you can envisage a possible deal. Is that right?

Because I don't think there is literally no one in the League you would accept back in a trade for Domi or Gallagher, for instance.
You can trade anyone in the league, even McDavid......but at some point you have to decide who you’re going with.

I’ve identified my players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad