Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread (Part VIII)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fake trade mongerers, do your thing.

HkqcM0d.jpg

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s mind boggling to me why he refuses to upgrade the LD when it’s such an obvious tire fire. Get someone with term and use the cap space.

Maybe he’s waiting to add a rental like Edler or something or forego this season and add UFA. Idk

Bergevin will have to get a first LD. A guy like cam fowler/hampus lindholm. I dont know. The problem is we havent this kind of player in the ahl and our pipeline. I would try to acquire from pholadelphia a guy like simmonds and gostibehere. Or to florida. A guy like matheson and bjugstad. Cause we need size too

It should have been addressed several years ago so that the player would have now been ready to graduate to the NHL. Last summer, they chose to focus on getting centers, although their next highest pick was LHD Romanov. Apparently, Romanov is not that far away.

Best time to deal with this is the summer where they can really use that cap space to their advantage. Right now, not sure how they get a Fowler type since they want to use cap space as an asset and most teams don't need cap relief at the TDL typically.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Panarin would be nice! Only if he could be extended though.

My guess is Poehling would be the cost though

Reactions: Zorba

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Panarin would be nice! Only if he could be extended though.

My guess is Poehling would be the cost though

I don't think wing should be a concern right now. There is enough meat on that bone. I think they should continue to stockpile centres and defensemen.

Obviously if the price is right, you go and get him as he's a game breaker. But it's a lot of cap hit for a winger, although they have a ton of space. I guess I'm just not thrilled at the thought of giving up anything of value for a player that's a UFA and could walk in the summer.

Just wait, see if you can sign him if you really want him. He isn't the difference between contending right now with how porous the defense is and how weak the middle of the ice still is.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I don't think wing should be a concern right now. There is enough meat on that bone. I think they should continue to stockpile centres and defensemen.

Obviously if the price is right, you go and get him as he's a game breaker. But it's a lot of cap hit for a winger, although they have a ton of space. I guess I'm just not thrilled at the thought of giving up anything of value for a player that's a UFA and could walk in the summer.

Just wait, see if you can sign him if you really want him. He isn't the difference between contending right now with how porous the defense is and how weak the middle of the ice still is.
You are right on multiple points here. But he is a legitimate threat that would make everyone better. He would take over top dog status from Drouin on the LW making him either expendable or slotted lower to play weaker opposition thus making him more effective.

Offseason game plan should be to try and nab one of: Stone, Duchene, Panarin

Stick to what we have for this year maybe add a tough vet (Steve Ott style) for 4th line.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
You are right on multiple points here. But he is a legitimate threat that would make everyone better. He would take over top dog status from Drouin on the LW making him either expendable or slotted lower to play weaker opposition thus making him more effective.

Stick to what we have for this year maybe add a tough vet (Steve Ott style) for 4th line.

Of the 3, I would definitely go after Panarin first. Issue I see is, he wants to go to NY and they will just pay him whatever he wants. Stone, I can't see leaving Ottawa; they'll just pay him and Duchene will be paid too much for a 2C and I honestly feel like Kotkaniemi projects as a 1C.

This year, I would sell off some veteran pieces at the deadline and go with more youth. Let them experience the stretch run and if they get into the playoffs, that as well. It will help them in the long run; more than just pumping in a 35 year old in there in hopes that Price gets hot.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

This team is still overachieving and a Stone/Duchene/Panarin doesn’t fix that. Our LD is an absolute dumpster fire and our division is getting tougher by the day, there’s no point trying to compete in the same window as Toronto/TB/lesser extent BOS right now. You might get past one in round one, but you aren’t making it past round two.

The delusions regarding our roster shocks me, I really thought this board learnt something over the last couple seasons... guess not

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I assumed Nurse was valued more highly.

For as good as Klefbom is defensively, he generates nothing offensively.

I'm not really sure why. Klefbom has a better contract, is significantly better defensively, is generally better in transition, plays tougher minutes, has a much better contract, is only a year and a half older and produces at a similar rate to Nurse.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Of the 3, I would definitely go after Panarin first. Issue I see is, he wants to go to NY and they will just pay him whatever he wants. Stone, I can't see leaving Ottawa; they'll just pay him and Duchene will be paid too much for a 2C and I honestly feel like Kotkaniemi projects as a 1C.

This year, I would sell off some veteran pieces at the deadline and go with more youth. Let them experience the stretch run and if they get into the playoffs, that as well. It will help them in the long run; more than just pumping in a 35 year old in there in hopes that Price gets hot.
I agree once again. Of that list my preference is Panarin as well.

As for adding players, they need an Ott type to stick up for the kids. That kind of guy in the lockeroom can do wonders during a playoff series. Bieksa could get signed to play third pair and offer sandpaper.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
This team is still overachieving and a Stone/Duchene/Panarin doesn’t fix that. Our LD is an absolute dumpster fire and our division is getting tougher by the day, there’s no point trying to compete in the same window as Toronto/TB/lesser extent BOS right now. You might get past one in round one, but you aren’t making it past round two.

The delusions regarding our roster shocks me, I really thought this board learnt something over the last couple seasons... guess not
I am just as baffled as you are.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

We have a center putting up Plekanec (Prime) numbers but with grit, an 18 year old playing awesome hockey on the third and should take another step forward next year and youth coming up. Why wouldn't you add a top line player if you could via the UFA market?

If not just keep doing what we are doing.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I agree once again. Of that list my preference is Panarin as well.

As for adding players, they need an Ott type to stick up for the kids. That kind of guy in the lockeroom can do wonders during a playoff series. Bieksa could get signed to play third pair and offer sandpaper.

They have Deslauriers. The last thing they need is another one.

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We have a center putting up Plekanec (Prime) numbers but with grit, an 18 year old playing awesome hockey on the third and should take another step forward next year and youth coming up. Why wouldn't you add a top line player if you could via the UFA market?

If not just keep doing what we are doing.

Scoring is up league wide, so what Domi is doing isn’t nearly as good as prime Plekanec (and I love Domi, he’s my favourite Hab right now)

Kotkaniemi is playing very well, he projects well IMO. I don’t see an offensive juggernaut but I see a player similar to Barkov. He’s definitely a solid piece to build around, but a McDavid/Matthews/MacKinnon he is not.

I think if this team was properly managed you could do some damage. But the LD right now is arguably the worst in the league. Our best D prospects are all RD. There is going to need to be some shuffling of the cards in order to meet our needs and that’s just something Bergevin has continually failed to address (our actual needs).

I still fail to see Montreal as a top flight UFA destination unless your willing to vastly overpay those players...

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Stone/Duchene/Panarin puts us right up there with TOR/BOS or any other team maybe outside of TB which is stacked and I doubt any team will come up to them.

We add a legitimate 1st line scorer to this team and I put it up against anyone. We already have tons of scoring depth on the team what we need is a game breaker.

LD isn't a dumpster fire, we are just missing 1 top 4 LD. I think we can survive with Mete as he grows as a player and Benn or Reilly are fine on the 3rd pair. Muzzin would of been nice but thats a luxury.

Its a cap world you can't expect to have the perfect team. Even the Pens won a cup with a crappy D (because they had great forwards).

Right now Weber+Price combo is doing its job keeping the goals down. Adding a guy like Panarian or Stone on Domi's wing would be great. I wouldn't trade the farm for them but I would be very tempted.

If Panarian/Stone would cost the habs a 1st and one of the WJC 4 I would be extremly tempted to make that move IF it came along with an extension.

Reactions: Habs Icing

McGuires Corndog

Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Stone/Duchene/Panarin puts us right up there with TOR/BOS or any other team maybe outside of TB which is stacked and I doubt any team will come up to them.

We add a legitimate 1st line scorer to this team and I put it up against anyone. We already have tons of scoring depth on the team what we need is a game breaker.

LD isn't a dumpster fire, we are just missing 1 top 4 LD. I think we can survive with Mete as he grows as a player and Benn or Reilly are fine on the 3rd pair. Muzzin would of been nice but thats a luxury.

Its a cap world you can't expect to have the perfect team. Even the Pens won a cup with a crappy D (because they had great forwards).

Right now Weber+Price combo is doing its job keeping the goals down. Adding a guy like Panarian or Stone on Domi's wing would be great. I wouldn't trade the farm for them but I would be very tempted.

If Panarian/Stone would cost the habs a 1st and one of the WJC 4 I would be extremly tempted to make that move IF it came along with an extension.

Right up there with Toronto? Really?

If we had Panarin he’d be the only player in the Matthews/Marner/Tavares tier of player, and he’s quite below those guys in that tier. Even with Panarin you cannot even begin to compare our offense.

Our defence is similar, I’d give Toronto the slight edge with the Muzzin addition. Price and Andersen are unfortunately a wash these days, and that’s where we really held an advantage.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Right up there with Toronto? Really?

If we had Panarin he’d be the only player in the Matthews/Marner/Tavares tier of player, and he’s quite below those guys in that tier. Even with Panarin you cannot even begin to compare our offense.

Our defence is similar, I’d give Toronto the slight edge with the Muzzin addition. Price and Andersen are unfortunately a wash these days, and that’s where we really held an advantage.
Toronto is a much better team than the Habs for sure.

With that being said, they are really flawed. Put pressure on their Dmen and their will be more pizza than at an Italian restaurant. Never seen a team cough the puck up more when a team forechecks. Andersen is saving their season right now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Tdc7EhM.jpg

Last edited:

CAR3YPR1CE

Aug 11, 2016
Toffoli Thompson -vs- Hudon Peca Evans 2019 2nd 2020 2nd
Fowler -vs- Schlemko Brook Walford 1st 2019

Drouin - Domi - Toffoli
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehky - Kotka - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Shaw
Deslauriers - Agostino

Fowler - Weber