Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would love to see McCarron play for his home state Red Wings. How much????

Mantha!

McCarron is a 1st round pick who is very NHL ready and has size. No way MB gives him up for nothing. I know Mantha is a big price to pay but if you want McCarron (who the Habs need), that's the price

you beat me to it by a few seconds

Last edited by a moderator:

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
And what are you willing to pay for that?

It's not a question of whether Hanzal can help us or not. Of course he can. He's not a bad player. It's a question of can he actually be the difference maker that allows us to contend for a cup, and I think he's far from that.

My point is, if you're willing to spend considerable assets for a guy like Hanzal, why wouldn't you want to make that extra push for a guy like Duchene, who fits in with the age of our core, is signed for two more seasons, and actually fills the need for a top 6 center on the team?

The point I'm making is, if Bergevin is about to half-ass things and pick from the bargain bin again, might as well not do a thing and get some quality prospects in the pipeline. When a deal comes around that can actually help us going forward, we'll have more assets to play around with.

I wouldn't have done the Shaw trade for the same reason.

Duchene is going to cost you the moon and a little more.

Hanzal can be acquired without considerably weakening our prospect pool.

It's literally all about Sergachev at this point , this team can't afford to lose this guy.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also... Doesn't a Mantha for McCarron swap help the wings where McCarron does not have to be protected in the expansion draft but McCarron does? Seems to me like an interesting trade that both sides think about. McCarron is needed at center for the Habs though in the future. What do others think?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
And? What's your point?

I don't mean that he can match them in terms of offensive output. I mean that he can match up with them physically, especially during a 7 game series.

Freeing up a guy like Galchenyuk so he can just focus on offense.

Also, I think you're underestimating Hanzal's talent...he's not a PPG player, but he's no slouch either, he can provide offense.

I was going to write a long ass reply.
But Plekanec used his wrist shot yesterday. Twice.

Feels good.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I also agree with pretty much everything you said. However, I'm not appose to acquiring Hanzal if the price is right. MB is going to do the right thing and he has a great support team so it all comes down to how much risk (what we trade) vs what reward we get for the UFA rental or even a guy who can be with the team for a few years.

Habs are not in "win now mode". All realistic Habs fans know that we are a few pieces away from being a true contender. To me, the window to win is not 2 years. It's more like 4 or 5 years with the core we have. Markov being the guy who will sadly be missed and hard to replace! The only other guy worth mentioning is Pleky and he is no huge loss and easy to replace at this stage in his career.

In 5 years Weber is 37. Price 35. Radulov 35. Pacioretty 33.

I don't think so.

Duchene is going to cost you the moon and a little more.

Hanzal can be acquired without considerably weakening our prospect pool.

It's literally all about Sergachev at this point , this team can't afford to lose this guy.

All about Sergachev? Seriously? The guy is a prospect... Sigh.

Hindsight is 20-20. After the playoffs Shaw had, and the lack of any hustle and warrior type players we had, that Shaw deal looked very promising. Especially when it equates to Eller for Shaw.

Hanzal can be very good for us. But that should not be our top priority at center. He would be better suited as a #2.

It's not hindsight, I said it from the moment the deal was made, let alone the ridiculous contract he signed. A large portion of the fanbase hated that trade. So far Shaw has been proving us right.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In 5 years Weber is 37. Price 35. Radulov 35. Pacioretty 33

In the next 5 years

Weber will be 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 and I may be a minority on this one but his game is not built on speed. His game is not going anywhere. How old was Chara when he won the cup? ;) Anybody watching Chara knows he became less effective in the last 2 years. He was a very valuable player for the Bruins right up till age 36 or 37! Weber plays a very very very similar game! Speed won't be an issue with how Weber plays

Radulov will be 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. Is it that bad? I think Radulov is not very fast today but is extremely talented. He's not melting away tomorow.

Price will be 30, 31, 32, 33, 34. Goalies do not decline anywhere near the rate as to players. Price can be relied on well into his mid 30's to late 30's IMO. The concern comes when he reaches 37 or 38 IMO.

Patch will be 29, 30, 31, 32, 33. I don't see any issues at all.

Then insert the young core. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Lehkonen, McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu, Sergachev, Juulsen and any other players that are added.

It's no where near a terrible situation where it warrants "do what it takes now to win" type trades. We have 4 guys who will be the veterans and we also have good prospects behind them that look very good at this stage. 4 Vets + 8 young core players. There's half your roster and money to spend on free agents. Be patient.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
McCarron alone doesn't get us Mantha

Nobody's getting Mantha for a guy that has 2 goals.

Well the Habs can play the "if you want Duchene game" with wings if they want McCarron right? Most would agree that Mantha is a better prospect than McCarron. But if your the Habs, and the Wings knock on the door... that's what MB says. Then it may grow to McCarron + 2nd round pick for Mantha. Might be over payment by the Habs then... not sure

Regardless... I don't think the Wings are desperate to trade Mantha anytime soon. However, they do have some interesting decisions to make in the expansion draft!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And what are you willing to pay for that?

Well he's a pending UFA...the market for these types of players is well established.

a B-level prospect + a draft pick is what I assume he'll go for. I don't expect it to be an exorbitant price, despite what Chayka is reported to be asking for.

It's not a question of whether Hanzal can help us or not. Of course he can. He's not a bad player. It's a question of can he actually be the difference maker that allows us to contend for a cup, and I think he's far from that.

I don't think there's any player that's currently available and attainable, that will fit this criteria. But there are players that will help us get there, Hanzal, is one of them IMO.

But again, if you're looking for one player who the Habs could realistically get who is instantly, by himself, going to turn them into more of a Cup contender than they are today.

Then I think you shouldn't even bother tuning into trade deadline day, it's not happening.

My point is, if you're willing to spend considerable assets for a guy like Hanzal, why wouldn't you want to make that extra push for a guy like Duchene, who fits in with the age of our core, is signed for two more seasons, and actually fills the need for a top 6 center on the team?

1. I don't think it's going to cost considerable assets for Hanzal, he's a pending UFA.

2. I do think it's going to cost considerable assets for Duchene, he's NOT a pending UFA and the Avalanche are under no pressure at all to trade Duchene, there's no deadline for him, he hasn't even asked for a trade. They have all the reasons in the world to let this drag on until they get the price they want.
The point I'm making is, if Bergevin is about to half-ass things and pick from the bargain bin again, might as well not do a thing and get some quality prospects in the pipeline. When a deal comes around that can actually help us going forward, we'll have more assets to play around with.

I'm not suggesting trading for Hanzal as a rental, I'm suggesting trading for him and signing him to an extension. I think he can help this team long term, not just short term.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
In 5 years Weber is 37. Price 35. Radulov 35. Pacioretty 33.

I don't think so.

All about Sergachev? Seriously? The guy is a prospect... Sigh.

It's not hindsight, I said it from the moment the deal was made, let alone the ridiculous contract he signed. A large portion of the fanbase hated that trade. So far Shaw has been proving us right.

yes, but gallagher, and chucky, danault, shaw, sergachev, juulsen, beaulieu, lekonen, byron will be in or entering their prime.. sticking with drafting and keeping our controlled assets is what gives us the best chance at a cup because it gives us legitimate threat each year and trust me when carey is 35 he'll still be winning vezinas we have nothing to worry about with him...he's a purebred beast

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
yes, but gallagher, and chucky, danault, shaw, sergachev, juulsen, beaulieu, lekonen, byron will be in or entering their prime.. sticking with drafting and keeping our controlled assets is what gives us the best chance at a cup because it gives us legitimate threat each year and trust me when carey is 35 he'll still be winning vezinas we have nothing to worry about with him...he's a purebred beast

Agreed. And more importantly.... Habs management agrees and MB is on record saying he will not mortgage the future! Lets just cross our fingers and hope to capitalize on circumstances in the next few seasons (either with trades or free agent signings).

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
:nashville

Tomas Plekanec (50% retained)

:habs

Colin Wilson

:stars

Alexei Emelin

Cody Eakin

:nucks

Nikita Scherbak
1st 2017

Ben Hutton

Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Wilson-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Eakin-Shaw
Byron-Mccarron-Mitchell

Hutton-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
:nashville

Tomas Plekanec (50% retained)

Colin Wilson

:stars

Alexei Emelin

Cody Eakin

:nucks

Nikita Scherbak
1st 2017

Ben Hutton

Pacioretty-Danault-Gallagher
Wilson-Galchenyuk-Radulov
Lehkonen-Eakin-Shaw
Byron-Mccarron-Mitchell

Hutton-Weber
Markov-Petry
Beaulieu-Pateryn

berneydidnotread.gif

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...why do people keep putting Danault on the 1st line??...he's not a #1 centre; hell, he may not ever be a #2 centre in this League (and that may not be a bad thing, as he's been a lovely fit at #3C since we traded Eller)...mindboggling...:shakehead

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
...why do people keep putting Danault on the 1st line??...he's not a #1 centre; hell, he may not ever be a #2 centre in this League (and that may not be a bad thing, as he's been a lovely fit at #3C since we traded Eller)...mindboggling...:shakehead

Agreed. Long term, the hole is at 2C (Pleks) and I'm fine with this bottom-6:

Byron - Danault - BigMac/Shaw
Flynn/prospect - Mitchell - BigMac/Shaw

Really counting on MB to pull a 2C out of nowhere, someone who's not on the trade bait list. Work the phones, Bergy!!!!

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Mantha is actually a very good idea.

I would give Sherback+ Flynn+ Beaulieu and a 2nd or Fucale if they want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->