Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Off-season Editon

Would you take a gamble on Nail Yakupov for leauge minium contract?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
By the way, does anyone know when the trade freeze officially ended/ends? I mean the trade deadline was in February. But when can trading begin again?

There isn't a trade freeze on right now so teams can trade now if they want. I believe the Feb trade deadline is only a deadline for acquired players being eligible to play in that years playoffs. Budaj was traded today.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
There isn't a trade freeze on right now so teams can trade now if they want. I believe the Feb trade deadline is only a deadline for acquired players being eligible to play in that years playoffs. Budaj was traded today.
Ah yes I think you're right. Surprising I've never heard of a trade made during the playoffs between teams that are eliminated. But then again these days, trades are usually made around the trade deadline or around draft/UFA time.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Ah yes I think you're right. Surprising I've never heard of a trade made during the playoffs between teams that are eliminated. But then again these days, trades are usually made around the trade deadline or around draft/UFA time.
I've heard rumours before that Bettman 'encourages' teams to save the announcements of bigger trades until the draft to create the buzz, not sure if true and would be really hard in this day of all the Insiders

Maybe MB has already sunk our team and we don't even know it :sarcasm:

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
Last week LeBrun said Arizona called Montreal about moving up. Sportsnet mentioned Max Domi and #5 overall pick for #3 overall pick. This week TSN mentioned Noah Hanifin for a first round pick. I would be surprised if we do a three way trade to get Hanifin and Domi.

To Arizona: #3 overall pick
To Montreal: Max Domi and #5 overall pick

To Carolina: #5 overall pick
To Montreal: Noah Hanifin

Reactions: sampollock

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Last week LeBrun said Arizona called Montreal about moving up. Sportsnet mentioned Max Domi and #5 overall pick for #3 overall pick. This week TSN mentioned Noah Hanifin for a first round pick. I would be surprised if we do a three way trade to get Hanifin and Domi.

Domi and Hanifin do not even move the needle....Montreal needs IMPACT players like....Tavares,Draisaitl,OEL if those players are not available you tear it down and rebuild you cannot build around Price and Weber with Domi,Hanifin or signing mediocre free agents like Bozak,Perron,Johnson etc.

Reactions: Kimota and Zorba

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I've heard rumours before that Bettman 'encourages' teams to save the announcements of bigger trades until the draft to create the buzz, not sure if true and would be really hard in this day of all the Insiders

Well it does create an excitement for sure on draft night
I also think teams wait before trading their 1st round pick until the last minute to see if the player they want is still around

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'd target Matheson, but if Bjugstad + 15th is the best we can get at the draft for Pacioretty I think I would do it.
Panthers aren't trading Matheson. He's not on the block, they consider him part of their core.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Domi and Hanifin do not even move the needle....Montreal needs IMPACT players like....Tavares,Draisaitl,OEL if those players are not available you tear it down and rebuild you cannot build around Price and Weber with Domi,Hanifin or signing mediocre free agents like Bozak,Perron,Johnson etc.

How does Hanifin not move the needle? He’s 21 and a very good LD as of today. The top pairing at the end of last season was Petry with Reilly. If bah changes to Hanifin and Weber, you better believe that moves the needle.

Reactions: shutehinside

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Remember when the habs took Beaulieu 18th and Leblanc at 18?

You really think a mid 1st is worth a multiple 30 goal scoring winger with a 200ft game?

Man I wish habs would of just traded that Leblanc pick for a guy like Zach Parise since mid first rounds are as good as one could expect for a top goal scorer in the NHL

Remember when the Bruins took McAvoy 15th and the Islanders took Barzal 16th. Both of us can go on and on with picks that hit and ones that didn't. The point is you don't get a shot at hitting if you don't have that pick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never said I wanted a rebuild......the point is there's not much value in making a trade like Bjugstad + 15th overall for Pacioretty.
And for me there's a huge difference between 10th or 15th pick overall.

Not saying those picks are not great assets but they are way behind a NHL player scoring 35 goals per season.

Remember: Boston ended up with 2 good prospect D and 2 first round pick (including a 13th overall) for one year of Lucic.

I think Pacioretty have more value than Lucic back then cause Lucic was also having a rough year before the trade.
One thing is for sure, i won't expect less return than that.

Agreed. Big difference between 10 and 15. But the 15th is still a good pick. It's a better pick than a 1st you would get at the deadline. If Bjugstad and the 15th is the best offer, we have to decide if we keep Patch and re-sign him or make that trade. If we are for sure trading him, we should take the best offer at the draft.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I like Hanifin part of all this still at 21 is definitely worth the move
Problem I have here is I don't think Domi has that much of an impact
So Pacioretty would have to be moved for a top 10 pick besides these 2 moves and still benefit from a top prospect
Then Bergevin and company can still get another late 1st if creative enough with all of our 2nd round picks

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Agreed. Big difference between 10 and 15. But the 15th is still a good pick. It's a better pick than a 1st you would get at the deadline. If Bjugstad and the 15th is the best offer, we have to decide if we keep Patch and re-sign him or make that trade. If we are for sure trading him, we should take the best offer at the draft.

Ryan O'reilly with one year left before becoming UFA was traded for:
Zadorov (2013 16th overall pick) + Grigorenko (2012 12th overall pick) + a 31st overall pick + Compher (35th overall pick)

Lucic with one year left before becoming UFA got the Bruins:
Colin Miller + Sean Kuraly + 13th overall pick + 29th overall pick

15th overall pick + Bjugstad for Pacioretty is total crap as a return and not even close of where the expetactions should be.
Verbal agreement on a deal can be made at this point.

If Max and Florida has a deal in place....Then that 15th overall + Bjugstad looks really bad....especially while trading with a team
who have Borgstrom, Trocheck and Barkov on their roster.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Ryan O'reilly with one year left before becoming UFA was traded for:
Zadorov (2013 16th overall pick) + Grigorenko (2012 12th overall pick) + a 31st overall pick + Compher (35th overall pick)

Lucic with one year left before becoming UFA got the Bruins:
Colin Miller + Sean Kuraly + 13th overall pick + 29th overall pick

15th overall pick + Bjugstad for Pacioretty is total crap as a return and not even close of where the expetactions should be.
Verbal agreement on a deal can be made at this point.

If Max and Florida has a deal in place....Then that 15th overall + Bjugstad looks really bad....especially while trading with a team
who have Borgstrom, Trocheck and Barkov on their roster.
It's especially weird when you see many Habs fans being OK with trading Pacioretty for a 1st round pick period.

Reactions: Milhouse40

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
How does Hanifin not move the needle? He’s 21 and a very good LD as of today. The top pairing at the end of last season was Petry with Reilly. If bah changes to Hanifin and Weber, you better believe that moves the needle.
What is the point of having a player still developing like Hanifin if you are not bringing in top centers and your giving away 3rd overall pick ....just stupid.

Reactions: Runner77

axman88

Apr 5, 2007

I have a trade to announce, the Montreal Canadiens have traded 2 2nd round picks to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Andrew Shaw.

I have another trade to announce. The Montreal Canadiens have traded Lars Eller to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for 2 2nd round picks!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What is the point of having a player still developing like Hanifin if you are not bringing in top centers and your giving away 3rd overall pick ....just stupid.

The point is you can select a bust at 3rd. Your desperate needs are at C and LD. If you don’t think Kotkaniemi or Hughes are worth it at 3, trade it for a guy that’s a proven NHLer with upside.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Remember when the Bruins took McAvoy 15th and the Islanders took Barzal 16th. Both of us can go on and on with picks that hit and ones that didn't. The point is you don't get a shot at hitting if you don't have that pick.
I know, but the point I am making is when you are trading a for sure asset like Pacioretty you don't trade it for a maybe.

Reactions: 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I know, but the point I am making is when you are trading a for sure asset like Pacioretty you don't trade it for a maybe.

So you keep him then if you don't get your asking price? You can make your own point all you want. At the end of the day we are making two separate points.

Circumstance needs to work in our favor if we are getting our high asking price for Patch. I'm not saying we should set the bar high. I'm saying what is the plan if we don't get the offer we expect to get. Keep him and re-sign him? Trade him at the next draft for a lesser return than what we can get this next draft?

What are you prepared to do if you don't get what you think you can get. This is the point.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's especially weird when you see many Habs fans being OK with trading Pacioretty for a 1st round pick period.

Not OK with it. The point was what decision do you make if you don't get your asking price? Do you keep him or take the best offer at the draft? Cause you know why? The offer is not going to be better next trade deadline.

What's weird is not understanding this and expecting we will automatically get our high asking price in return when we didn't get it at the last deadline and it included one playoff run

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not OK with it. The point was what decision do you make if you don't get your asking price? Do you keep him or take the best offer at the draft? Cause you know why? The offer is not going to be better next trade deadline.
What does this even mean?

The Habs are shopping one of the leagues best goal scoring wingers over the last 5-6yrs...but you're acting like they're shopping Logan Shaw.

Stop.

What's weird is not understanding this and expecting we will automatically get our high asking price in return when we didn't get it at the last deadline and it included one playoff run
The asking price for Pacioretty SHOULD be high...that doesn't mean the Habs are going to get it, but you keep that asking price high for as long as you can obviously.

The first opportunity to trade Pacioretty was at the deadline, clearly, they didn't get their asking price so now the draft is the next flash point...if he's not traded then, the offseason post July 1st becomes the next flash point...if not then....then the trade deadline next year becomes the last opportunity to for the Habs to move him.

But by then, who knows what will happen.

Furthermore, maybe the Habs end up re-signing Pacioretty to a reasonable contract...that option is also on the table.

Once more, there are worse things that could happen to the Montreal Canadiens then welcoming back their best and most proven goal scorer who actually wants to remain a Habs if he had his way.

What's weird to me, is how your so willing to trade Pacioretty for very little when he's our best trade chip. You're not going to get more for another player currently on this roster, than Max Pacioretty.

Not Price, not Weber, not Galchenyuk, not Drouin, not Gallagher...Pacioretty is clearly our best trade chip. You don't sell your best trade chip at a discount.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I like Hanifin part of all this still at 21 is definitely worth the move
Problem I have here is I don't think Domi has that much of an impact
So Pacioretty would have to be moved for a top 10 pick besides these 2 moves and still benefit from a top prospect
Then Bergevin and company can still get another late 1st if creative enough with all of our 2nd round picks

I don't like giving up our top 3 pick but what you say is interesting.

So Domi/Hanafin and then flip Max for 10-15 pick.

I would still be cautious on moving from 3rd to the middle of the draft. You don't get many shots at taking a top 3 pick.

It depends though, if this is like 2012 draft then that move makes more sense.

Interesting that 3rd OVA picks turn into good players but not impact players. The best ones would be LaFontaine, Niedemyer, Sedin, and Towes. Then some decent guys like Primeau/Drouin/AG/Turris/Savard/Bonk etc...

The more you look at it a 3rd pick has better odds of being a 2nd liner than a franchise player. But it still hurts to lose such a high pick, very conflicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->