Status
Not open for further replies.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Weber for Dobson.

Tatar, Petry, and Kovalchuk for Newhook and Byram.

Price for a good goalie peospect + a 1st + a journeyman veteran goalie (again the Islanders fit here)

Byron for a 2nd

Reactions: habergeon

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
TDL moves:

Tatar for futures
Kovy for futures
One of Cousins/Weal for pick

Offseason will be hockey deal time, multiple picks and potentially Domi and Petry. July 1 will set some of the tone for roster movement

Gotta try to sign Vatanen. Then you trade Petry

Can’t trade everyone as we need bodies here and Laval. Leave Poehling, Kotkaniemi down in Laval.

Reactions: 26Mats

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
What buyers for our potential assets are left?

We need to be trading Tatar, Petry and Kovy like yesterday to maximize returns.

This is the year to sell off assets and rebuild properly....we could do a rebuild and go after a high priced free agent or two in the off season

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Weber for Dobson.

Tatar, Petry, and Kovalchuk for Newhook and Byram.

Price for a good goalie peospect + a 1st + a journeyman veteran goalie (again the Islanders fit here)

Byron for a 2nd

No need to trade Weber and Price. Nor will we. As much as people want to rebuild/tank - it's not going to happen, certainly not to that extent.

Tatar/Petry/Kovalchuk? Absolutely - it's a great seller's market by all accounts - let's sell high and maximize return.

We have enough talent, and a good prospect pool. With the right moves and vision (and it's fine to move on from Bergevin and have someone else come in and take his place) - we can retool, vs completely getting rid of everyone including Price/Weber.

Reactions: blarneylad

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009

This is the year to sell off assets and rebuild properly....we could do a rebuild and go after a high priced free agent or two in the off season
Petry is not going anywhere

Colorado and Boston are the big ones. Big names Palmeiri Kreider and Tatar.

But anyone in the playoffs picture will look to add especially if their opponents are

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

What buyers aren't left? Even teams who added - they can always add more.

Pitt, Washington, Tampa, Boston, NYI, Vancouver, Colorado, St Louis, Carolina....all teams that have been rumored to be buyers, and some very much so.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No need to trade Weber and Price. Nor will we. As much as people want to rebuild/tank - it's not going to happen, certainly not to that extent.

Tatar/Petry/Kovalchuk? Absolutely - it's a great seller's market by all accounts - let's sell high and maximize return.

We have enough talent, and a good prospect pool. With the right moves and vision (and it's fine to move on from Bergevin and have someone else come in and take his place) - we can retool, vs completely getting rid of everyone including Price/Weber.

Ok, but which strategy do you think has a higher probability of yielding a championship?

Adding Dobson, Newhook, Byram, + gives us areally solid prospect pool. Then tanking over the next couple years should give us an elite talent. An elite talent plus a really solid all around prospect pool is a good combination imo.

Reactions: Clearedwaivers

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ok, but which strategy do you think has a higher probability of yielding a championship?

Adding Dobson, Newhook, Byram, + gives us areally solid prospect pool. Then tanking over the next couple years should give us an elite talent. An elite talent plus a really solid all around prospect pool is a good combination imo.

I have super strong reservations about tanking. We "tanked" twice in the past 8 years - whether it's actual tanking or just luck at lotto - point is we had 3rd pick twice. Galch was a major disappointment - Kotka looks ok and should have potential I hope - but i don't know that he'll necessarily be some big impact player. More like a decent second line guy maybe. That's picking 3rd.

What does tanking guarantee? What does tanking even mean? Are both Anaheim and LA tanking these past two years? I would think most people would say yes.

LA had a horrible season last year - finished 2nd to last. All they got was the 5th overall pick for it. This year they're also 2nd to last - but could theoretically still pass a couple of teams by end. They may get another 4th-8th pick with bad luck.
Anaheim is 5th from last this year, last year they finished 8th from last. Looking at last year's record - they won their last 3 games (6 points). Remove those 6 points, and they're passed by 4 teams. Anaheim ended up with the 9th pick last year. Good chance they end up picking in that range again this year - maybe ~6-10 or so.

Now picking 5th overall - or even top 10 - that's certainly not bad. But that might get you a Sergachev, or Drouin, or Galchenyuk, or Kotka. In fact - it almost certainly will. It's possible you might absolutely luck out and get a Matthews, McDavid, Dahlin, Eichel level talent instead - but odds are against you.

Based on this description of odds and likelihood of actually getting an absolute top draft pick - i'd rather take my chances on keeping Price/Weber and go for the retool. Vs getting rid of both Price/Weber (two still excellent players who can help us win) and risk ending up with a bunch of Galchenyuks and Kotka's but no Price nor Weber 3 years from now - and in a much worst off position to compete for a cup. Maybe we do luck out with this approach and end up with a Dahlin/Matthews level talent - but odds are very much against it.

I'm not super familiar with Dobson, Newhook and Byram. I'm fine trading guys like Tatar, Petry, Kovalchuk, etc. You suggested those 3 for Newhook and Bryam - assuming that's good value for us, sure. It's just going the extra distance of also trading Weber and especially Price that I disagree with, especially if it's just to "tank and try to get lucky at draft". If we trade Weber/Price for super good returns - that might be more tempting, but i doubt they're even worth as much as we'd like.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
In regards to this Colorado thing, obviously something is happening if Bergy and Mellanby are watching games in person. I do think Tatar is the main piece, but I'm also wondering if Thompson is going as well to give the Avs a top faceoff guy.

Tatar
Thompson

for

Prospect
1st
1 of Graves/Zadorov/Jost

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Petry to carolina for TOR 1st + suzuki the younger

Tatar to COL for 1st + Timmons

Kovalchuk to somewhere that's not Boston for a 2nd

Thompson and weal to wherever for 4ths

Diagnose price with a hangnail and shut him down for the season, call up kinkaid, kick your feet up and wait for the draft

Reactions: Flavaflav

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Countdown to TradeCentre: Carolina Hurricanes eyeing Montreal Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry? - TSN.ca

LeBrun cites a source who believes there's a 95 per cent chance the Canadiens hold on to Petry, who's signed through next season at a $5.5 million cap hit. But he wonders if Carolina could entice Montreal general manager Marc Bergevin into making a deal.

LeBrun believes the Hurricanes could package a first-round pick and defensive prospect Jake Bean in exchange for Petry. He adds, however, that the Canadiens would likely decline that offer because the team does not view Bean as a top-four defenceman in the future.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
TSN 690 talking "what if it's Price to Colorado" this morning...why do they do this to themselves lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad