Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Gearing Up for the Off-season Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Stastny waived his NTC to go to Winnipeg. No one ever does that. We can assume that he really cares about winning the Cup. I don’t see him coming to Montreal.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Current management will not dispose of the toxic contracts they signed -- it will take new decision-makers who don't have any face-saving agendas to clean out what they can. Also, when you can't produce any offence and you've been out of the playoffs in 2 of the last 3 years, everyone on the roster should be made available. There is no plan, the team is poorly built, redundant assets abound. You're not going to get the surgery this team needs if the same management individuals are allowed to continue. Simple as that.

Every year Molson puts off the inevitable only serves to make the recovery time longer. Whatever assets that currently exist will age and play in a toxic environment along with the unfortunate prospects who will be brought in.

Blow it up.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
I still think you are going to see Pacioretty to Columbus. They would like a scoring winger. They have a narrow window to win. And need to, because their attendance would sag considerably if they don't.

Boone Jenner is the kind of centre this team doesn't have. Big and mean. I mean there's McCarron, but nobody is optimistic about him. He can't skate. Pacioretty, Mc Carron for Columbus 1st, Jenner and a d prospect.

Add David Perron. He can score. Replaces Pacioretty. And RH shot adds another dimension.

Add Paul Stastny. Leader up the middle.

The two would come at about $14 million in cap space. Should be enough room for that. The loss of Pacioretty and Plekanec saves $10.5 million.

Drouin seems to be playing better without Galchenyuk. Lehkonen is a skater so that's two elite skaters on one line. I'd go with

Lehkonen-Drouin-Perron
Galchenyuk-Stastny-Scherbak

There is just so much bad here.

Jenner hasn't been a full time center since he entered the league. We have enough question marks on center already. And I'm saying that despite being a big fan of the guy. CBJ fans have stated over and over that they wouldn't be interested in Patches. They want #1/2C just like us.

Drouin is NOT a center and that experiment should be terminated. Any proposal where Drouin is slotted as a center should be discarded.

Perron hasn't scored more than 20 goals in 4 years. His game is more similar to Drouin than it is to Patches. So you've essentially added minus goals with that swap.

Stastny is 32 and a perennial sub-50 pts guy now. He'll demand 5-6 years on his next deal, which the Habs don't want any part of.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I still think you are going to see Pacioretty to Columbus. They would like a scoring winger. They have a narrow window to win. And need to, because their attendance would sag considerably if they don't.
Torts does not want Patches.
search

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
As much as I believe the right approach would be a dedicated retool where next season would be about accumulating pics/prospects & building org depth & young player experience, if we were to focus on getting back to playoffs/win-fast, here's what I'd do.

Sign statsny & DeHaan (paying the UFA premium necessary)
Re-sign Pleks

Pacioretty - Statsny - Gally
Drouin - Galchenyuk - Shaw
Lekhonen - Danault - Scherbak/Byron
Hudon - Pleks - Byron
Deslauriers/DLR/Rychel

DeHaan - Weber
Mete/Benn - Petry
Alzner/Benn - Juulsen
Valiev/Reilly

Price
Lingren

Would be ugly the following year unless cap went up dramatically, but there's enough depth and skill there to be a playoff team.

Not my preferred approach, but feasible and statsny/patches & DeHaan/Weber would be good compliments at least on paper.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Why DeHaan? This team should avoid more non-puckmoving defensive defenders. It’s time to get more mobile.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Why DeHaan? This team should avoid more non-puckmoving defensive defenders. It’s time to get more mobile.

DeHaan is a good skater, and from what I recall would be more PMD than defensive Dman as far as his overall skill set & impact

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They'll sign one of Perron/Neal, trade for a centre if they can't sign Stastny or Tavares and then dump Byron at the draft for some picks.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Why is everyone now adding Stastny as a UFA target now?!?! There has been literally ZERO interest in him from our fan base until he was picked up by Winnipeg. Did you all just get a hankering for him because the media has been telling everyone what a great move this was for the Jets? That is true, but its only a great move because its depth move, adding him to be a 2nd or 3rd center, not as their #1. They wanted someone good on the dot and could play strong defensive minutes. Not to lead a team on the 1st line with big offense expectations. That isn't what Stastny can provide. Signing Stastny would be like signing a younger Pleks again.

Reactions: 417 and le_sean

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Why is everyone now adding Stastny as a UFA target now?!?! There has been literally ZERO interest in him from our fan base until he was picked up by Winnipeg. Did you all just get a hankering for him because the media has been telling everyone what a great move this was for the Jets? That is true, but its only a great move because its depth move, adding him to be a 2nd or 3rd center, not as their #1. They wanted someone good on the dot and could play strong defensive minutes. Not to lead a team on the 1st line with big offense expectations. That isn't what Stastny can provide. Signing Stastny would be like signing a younger Pleks again.

Considering that neither Drouin nor Danault, or Galchenyuk slot as a guy to win defensive zone face offs, or PP face offs, that he was brought in to lead skill players in Laine and Ehlers should tell you that he has some utility. Instantly jumped on the 1st PP on one of the best PP teams in the league. That's scouting a player beyond the stat sheets. Can play with skilled players, like Galchenyuk and Drouin??? In St. Louis it was mostly with Steen, who is decline, and Berglund, big difference. I would not give him more than 5 years. $7-$7.5 million for a key position. Wears an A. Salary is probably a wash in the final year, but that's what you overpay for on the market now. And as long as there are teams in the desert or Florida, or Brooklyn, you can bury a bad salary with a good GM. Team needs another leader besides Gallagher over the next couple of years, until the young players mature.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
DeHaan is a good skater, and from what I recall would be more PMD than defensive Dman as far as his overall skill set & impact

Then they will have too many bloated contracts on defence with Weber, Petry, Alzner and DeHaan. And only two of those have any kind of talent and only one is an excellent skater. It’s short-sighted IMO.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would part ways with two of our major players: Pacioretty & Price. Try to get prospects, picks or young players that will fill in the vacancies that we'll have in the lineup.

Sign Niemi

Play as 1a and 1b

Niemi
Lindgren

Ain't gonna happen but that's what I would do. Neither of those two could shoulder the full load of a #1 but together they can split the games.

On defense I would unload Benn and Schlemko. I would try with Alzner too but his contract will only scare away the GMs. Besides, he's looked competent with Juulsen.

left d Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Reilly

Along with Patches I would trade or release Froese, Hemsky and Logan The Real Wolverine. I suspect MB will re-sign Pleky. I wouldn't.

Drouin 1C Galchenyuk
Lehkonen 2C Scherback
Hudon Danault Gallagher
Byron D.L.R Andrew Shaw
D Lo, McCarron, Carr.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Considering that neither Drouin nor Danault, or Galchenyuk slot as a guy to win defensive zone face offs, or PP face offs, that he was brought in to lead skill players in Laine and Ehlers should tell you that he has some utility. Instantly jumped on the 1st PP on one of the best PP teams in the league. That's scouting a player beyond the stat sheets. Can play with skilled players, like Galchenyuk and Drouin??? In St. Louis it was mostly with Steen, who is decline, and Berglund, big difference. I would not give him more than 5 years. $7-$7.5 million for a key position. Wears an A. Salary is probably a wash in the final year, but that's what you overpay for on the market now. And as long as there are teams in the desert or Florida, or Brooklyn, you can bury a bad salary with a good GM. Team needs another leader besides Gallagher over the next couple of years, until the young players mature.

He most certainly does have utility, I'm pretty sure I stated that. And Stastny has played just as many shifts with Tank than he had with Steen and Berg, just for the record. 5 @ 7.5 is absurd. He's not he consistent offensive threat he was in Colorado. He's a solid 2-way #2, like Pleks 3 years ago. And Drouin and Weber are leaders enough. He'd be a great signing if maybe we had the strength and chance the Jets or other contenders do, but not a team looking to retool.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
After watching that Engels interview, I get the impression that next year is Bergevins last chance. He can't do anything else to become competitive if we don't sign Tavares, and could get fired.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
He most certainly does have utility, I'm pretty sure I stated that. And Stastny has played just as many shifts with Tank than he had with Steen and Berg, just for the record. 5 @ 7.5 is absurd. He's not he consistent offensive threat he was in Colorado. He's a solid 2-way #2, like Pleks 3 years ago. And Drouin and Weber are leaders enough. He'd be a great signing if maybe we had the strength and chance the Jets or other contenders do, but not a team looking to retool.

Most UFA contracts are absurd. Look at Frans Nielsen. Hanzal. Or Andrew Ladd. It's a tough market. He'll get that, maybe from the Rangers, maybe from the Blues.

Stastny started playing with him this year. Schwartz was always linked with Tarasenko. Before Schenn it was Lehtera. Stastny took his number in Winnipeg because of his brother, and because of Steen's dad. He was apparently Steen's best man.

I think in the offseason Bergevin's options for C (though I hope he is not back) are:

1. Tavares
2. Stastny
3. Soderberg
4. Trade Pacioretty for a potential top 6 centre, and re-sign Plekanec.

Will be interesting to see free agency and the cap shakes things out. With potentially Carlson,Karlsson, and Ekman Larsson on the market.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Most UFA contracts are absurd. Look at Frans Nielsen. Hanzal. Or Andrew Ladd. It's a tough market. He'll get that, maybe from the Rangers, maybe from the Blues.

Stastny started playing with him this year. Schwartz was always linked with Tarasenko. Before Schenn it was Lehtera. Stastny took his number in Winnipeg because of his brother, and because of Steen's dad. He was apparently Steen's best man.

I think in the offseason Bergevin's options for C (though I hope he is not back) are:

1. Tavares
2. Stastny
3. Soderberg
4. Trade Pacioretty for a potential top 6 centre, and re-sign Plekanec.

Will be interesting to see free agency and the cap shakes things out. With potentially Carlson,Karlsson, and Ekman Larsson on the market.

Oilers should be contacted. I still really think RNH would be a fantastic option down the middle for us assuming we can't land any of the UFA

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I can't see Pacioretty extended. It seems like he wants out, and he knows nothings going to change. He's done after this season.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

I agree with you that Stastny does not have what it takes to be a #1 center
He would be a great #2 with Danault being the #3
If Beregvin would sign both Tavares and Stastny with Danault at #3, off a sudden we become a lot more serious down the middle and really hard to play against
But that's a big if, I don't see us being able to land both, heck I'd be even surprised if Bergevin can land one of them

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I agree with you that Stastny does not have what it takes to be a #1 center
He would be a great #2 with Danault being the #3
If Beregvin would sign both Tavares and Stastny with Danault at #3, off a sudden we become a lot more serious down the middle and really hard to play against
But that's a big if, I don't see us being able to land both, heck I'd be even surprised if Bergevin can land one of them

Tavares and Stastny would be an $18m+ commitment per year for the next 7 years. If Stastny was 27, okay. But he’s 33. I’m not giving a longterm contract to him.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
Yes DeHaan is a good skater and most importantly friend of John Tavares they also player together one year in Oshawa.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Tavares and Stastny would be an $18m+ commitment per year for the next 7 years. If Stastny was 27, okay. But he’s 33. I’m not giving a longterm contract to him.
I highly doubt Statsny gets more than 5 years... more like 3-4 years at 5mil, but who knows with morons like MB out there.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I highly doubt Statsny gets more than 5 years... more like 3-4 years at 5mil, but who knows with morons like MB out there.

Who knows. But to convince him to come to Montreal, I think it takes 5-6 years at $6m. Just my guess.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I see him as a way higher ceiling than Plekanec, like 60 points playing 1st PP. Winning clean draws back to Weber. That was Shaw's biggest utility to start the year.

I don't think the sky is falling. In Ottawa maybe, Detroit and Buffalo are really hampered by ridicously bad long term contracts. The Isles could lose two of their best players. Rangers have CAP SPACE, but not much of a team. Carolina isn't that good. Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Drouin are the pieces you build around. All good ones. In their primes. There are so many good players available this year that it is hard to see our GM not getting somebody or assets of value. He can even take on bad contracts, like Danny DeKeyser, for instance, for high draft picks (like a Vegas 1st). It's hard to see a competent GM bumbling this opportunity. Bergevin's on the hot seat. He may get one more chance, he may not. Whoever the GM is, they had better have a centre in place, who isn't Plekanec to bring some hope into next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad