Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Im glad we didn’t trade for Duchene he wouldn’t have done well here

Time to trade for Fowler?

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
There's questions to answer.

1- The top 3 centers moving forwards.
2- Domi, Tatar, Gallagher, Danault, Armia will all need new deals in the next 18 months. Can't sign them all.

But sorry, i don't agree with Tatar…...and i don't disapprove either.

Tatar next year will start at 29 years old. If you ask me now who i want for the next 4 years between Tatar and let's say Armia, i pick Tatar for sure (He'll be 32 by the start of the 4th year, so he's not that old…..would be the same age as Petry is today and apparently he's having tons of value still)

But honestly, i prefer keeping Tatar than Lehkonen, Byron too.
Not even sure i would pick Drouin or Domi over him for the next 4 years (at least not last year's Drouin)

He might be older than many of our other player, but younger doesn't mean better and at some points it might be a good idea to keep the best players we have…...cause that's what we did for the last 3 years and look where we are now, not one step closer. Our best points producer pretty much was Pacioretty, Galchenyuk and Subban….all traded away and we're not better for it, not now and not for a long time.

So if we were to trade Tatar, our most productive forward by far this year, it should come with a larger plan to dump a lot of other good player....if not, i don't see the point.
Are you assuming Tatar remains a 60-70 point guy even though that is a clear deviation from the norm?

Instead of selling high?

But if Tatar can at 29 set a new bar for himself. Why is it then that people on this board write off a 19 year old. Write off a 24 year old Domi as merely a 50 point winger etc?

Odd how guys on here favour the flavour of the week only. So fast to sour on people. I can’t imagine how bad Tatar will be hated for making 6m but regressing into a 30 + year old 45-55 point winger.

I say sell high while you can

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The Canes are actively looking for a top 4 D.

Petry would be an incredible candidate, but Bergevin probably burned the bridges with his poor attempt at trolling.

The canes have a plethora of really interesting prospects too... Necas, Rees, Puistola, Drury, Mattheos... Their first is also in play and theyd probably move a roster player for a Petry @ 50%.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Petry would be an incredible candidate, but Bergevin probably burned the bridges with his poor attempt at trolling.

The canes have a plethora of really interesting prospects too... Necas, Rees, Puistola, Drury, Mattheos... Their first is also in play and theyd probably move a roster player for a Petry @ 50%.

They have Toronto's first too, but I'm positive there's 0 chance they'd trade Necas. They see him as a future core player like we do with Suzuki, the Blues with Thomas or the Rangers with Chytil.

Since MB's a moron, we probably can't make deals with them anymore. But yeah, Drury and Rees would've been definite targets with that 1st rounder.

There are teams that would give us a ransom for Tatar, Petry, Price and Weber. Domi too. It's so stupid how this team is going about "building" the roster.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They have Toronto's first too, but I'm positive there's 0 chance they'd trade Necas. They see him as a future core player like we do with Suzuki, the Blues with Thomas or the Rangers with Chytil.

Since MB's a moron, we probably can't make deals with them anymore. But yeah, Drury and Rees would've been definite targets with that 1st rounder.

There are teams that would give us a ransom for Tatar, Petry, Price and Weber. Domi too. It's so stupid how this team is going about "building" the roster.
Id even start looking into Gallagher. If they can get another Pacioretty return, why the heck not ? The Gallagher break down has to happen someday, even if hes been delaying it year after year, it doesn't mean it wont.

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Id even start looking into Gallagher. If they can get another Pacioretty return, why the heck not ? The Gallagher break down has to happen someday, even if hes been delaying it year after year, it doesn't mean it wont.

especially when Gally is starting to be broken quite a bit.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Define "ransom".

For what return would you be willing to part with each of those four guys?

What are the chances you will get two Hall of Famers and two top-6/top-4s out of the assets?

Reactions: Scriptor

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Define "ransom".

What are the chances you will get two Hall of Famers and two top-6/top-4s out of the assets?

I know where you're trying to go with this and I have zero intention of engaging yet again on the subject.

Here's an idea: instead of me going over the same things that have already been debated to death, how about you tell me what you would do and how you think this team can build itself into a contender within the time frame these players will be signed, healthy and still good.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Define "ransom".

Price and Weber may have produced HOF worthy seasons in the past but theyre way past that point, so your point makes no sense. A few seconds of thinking would've saved a lot of internet bandwidth.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Are you assuming Tatar remains a 60-70 point guy even though that is a clear deviation from the norm?

Instead of selling high?

But if Tatar can at 29 set a new bar for himself. Why is it then that people on this board write off a 19 year old. Write off a 24 year old Domi as merely a 50 point winger etc?

Odd how guys on here favour the flavour of the week only. So fast to sour on people. I can’t imagine how bad Tatar will be hated for making 6m but regressing into a 30 + year old 45-55 point winger.

I say sell high while you can

Tatar is hitting his prime years, with best ever seasons last and this one, on a marginal team. I expect a better season next year, especially if the team gets better throughout the lineup (starting with the transition game on D) and three seasons where the production levels off, followed by a couple of seasons in the 45-55 range, as you note and a farewell tour where Tatar feels he had a good run, in the end.

Tatar is worth keeping when you have an influx of youngsters coming in to offset his next contract figures and if he is agreeable to signing a contract extension no longer than 5 years and ideally of just four years.

Five more years of Tatar beyond this one, anytime!

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Canes don't want to move Necas, period. Whether we think he's interesting or not has nothing to do with Necas getting moved in a deal. Word is they aren't willing to give Necas for Dumba (who is 25 and has a 50-point season under his belt already. They would for Petry, his age and what's remaining on his contract before he becomes an UFA!?

I'm not saying Petry wouldn't be a good candidate for CAR but, I think you might want to revise the return potential.

If we can get a 1st round pick and a decent prospect, I would certainly consider it but, I'd rather make a Domi - Dumba swap first to protect my arse on the right side.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Tatar is hitting his prime years, with best ever seasons last and this one, on a marginal team. I expect a better season next year, especially if the team gets better throughout the lineup (starting with the transition game on D) and three seasons where the production levels off, followed by a couple of seasons in the 45-55 range, as you note and a farewell tour where Tatar feels he had a good run, in the end.

Tatar is worth keeping when you have an influx of youngsters coming in to offset his next contract figures and if he is agreeable to signing a contract extension no longer than 5 years and ideally of just four years.

Five more years of Tatar beyond this one, anytime!

Or how about trading him when his value is at the highest

Reasons to trade him:

• He turns 30 next year,
  • never had more than 60 points, however he is on pace to beat his best season by 13 points (this season seems like an outlier than the norm going forward),
  • is going to want a big contract in 2021,
  • the Habs are not assured of signing him next season,
  • the Habs are not going to be a contender in the next couple of seasons, and;
  • Adam Michaels posted this first in another thread

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I’d trade both for the right price and wouldn’t miss either.
Then again right now I’d trade everyone just to be a bottom feeder for few years
This team is going absolutely nowhere in the next 5 years the way it shaped

I think a few trades, a strategic UFA signing and a good pick could be sufficient to turn this team into a contender in a couple of years, the time it takes to iron out the growing pains of an admittedly young team. Nothing out of the realm of possibilities.

Example:

Drouin and a 2020 2nd rounder to PITT for Samuel Poulin and a 2021 1st round pick.

Domi to MINN for Dumba.

Brodie signed as an UFA.

Petry traded for a 1st round pick in 2021 and a prospect.

MON moves up to between 4th and 7th from their likely 8th round pick this year for Perfetti who they will play as a LW at the NHL level and have up their sleeve as a C in case of injuries.

Montreal re-signs Tatar - Danault - Gallagher and uses the many ELC contracts to offset the salary raises in the future contracts of those three players. In the latter years of their contracts (which should have no NMCs), depending on the contracts they agree to after next year, those three are extremely valuable 3rd line players or traded to other teams.

In a year or two, the young Habs lineup looks like:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Perfetti - Suzuki - Armia
Poulin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Lehkonen - Poehling - Evans/Byron

Brodie - Dumba
Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Fleury/Book

Price, Primeau

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Price and Weber may have produced HOF worthy seasons in the past but theyre way past that point, so your point makes no sense. A few seconds of thinking would've saved a lot of internet bandwidth.

Try being more polite. It might suit you?

Reactions: gillyguzzler

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I think a few trades, a strategic UFA signing and a good pick could be sufficient to turn this team into a contender in a couple of years, the time it takes to iron out the growing pains of an admittedly young team. Nothing out of the realm of possibilities.

Example:

Drouin and a 2020 2nd rounder to PITT for Samuel Poulin and a 2021 1st round pick.

Domi to MINN for Dumba.

Brodie signed as an UFA.

Petry traded for a 1st round pick in 2021 and a prospect.

MON moves up to between 4th and 7th from their likely 8th round pick this year for Perfetti who they will play as a LW at the NHL level and have up their sleeve as a C in case of injuries.

Montreal re-signs Tatar - Danault - Gallagher and uses the many ELC contracts to offset the salary raises in the future contracts of those three players. In the latter years of their contracts (which should have no NMCs), depending on the contracts they agree to after next year, those three are extremely valuable 3rd line players or traded to other teams.

In a year or two, the young Habs lineup looks like:

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Perfetti - Suzuki - Armia
Poulin - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Lehkonen - Poehling - Evans/Byron

Brodie - Dumba
Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Fleury/Book

Price, Primeau
Will never win with danualt as a top line centre
Plus that first line are all free agents after next year and will cost close to 20 million

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
how about you tell me what you would do and how you think this team can build itself into a contender within the time frame these players will be signed, healthy and still good.

Fire the GM and Coach.

Re-sign Kovalchuk and Scandella, extend Petry, Tatar, Gallagher, Domi, Danault.

Be willing to trade anyone if a good deal is available. My needs in priority are:
Top-4 LD
Top-4 RD
Scoring winger
A Starting goalie that has a reasonable results to salary ratio
A backup goalie who can be trusted for 30 games

I'm not afraid to trade Price or Weber, or virtually any other player not on ELC. But I want to trade them with term on their contract, not in a desperate rental deal.

I'm also not afraid to trade young players who I already feel will not be top stars, if a good return is possible. That means Mete, Poehling, Fleury, Brook, Evans, Ikonen, Ylonen.

I'm not keen on moving KK, Suzuki, Caufield, Primeau or Romanov, nor - at this time - Norlinder, Harris or Struble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad