Proposal: Trade proposal part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm curious to know what you've seen in Sebastian Aho's 22 NHL games to convince you he's ready to be a top pairing Dman?

Not being facetious or sarcastic here, I don't know a ton about the player...curious to get your vantage point on him.
Lol.

What have you seen in Kulaks career that can tell you hes ready for top pair minutes?

Hes a better version of Mete, and a more developed one. Hes better defensively and has a better shot.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Lol.

What have you seen in Kulaks career that can tell you hes ready for top pair minutes?
Did I say that I think Kulak is ready for top pair minutes? Stop deflecting & trying to redirect.

Let's refocus on YOUR take that I want YOU to elaborate on.

What can you share with us regarding Sebastian Aho's game that suggests you think he can be a top pairing guy?

Because he can't even breakthrough on a New York Islanders team whose expectations were about the same as the Habs heading into this season.

Reactions: Vachon23

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Maybe we should shop Schlemko for a 2nd because hes better than Bouwmeester at this point.

To be honest, I'm not sure what's going on with the Blues and how this affects Bouwmeester. Personally, my approach would be to try to get another Petry type UFA that we can re-sign. Bouwmeester don't fit. He's 36 next year. But if we can get shutdown ability from him, I'm willing to review the potential.

- How does Kulak do with Weber from now till deadline? Does he continue to look good and does he improve or get worse? Hard to predict
- What do the Habs do with Juulsen. Move Petry to left side or have Juulsen on the bottom RD pairing?

As far as trading Schlemko... If we got a 2nd, I'd do it for sure. It frees up cap space for the off season to explore the market and Schlemko to me should be used as a depth guy. He is easily replaceable.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Did I say that I think Kulak is ready for top pair minutes?
He is getting top pair minutes though.

Were at a point where the best defender on the left side is a career AHL player and that the 3rd best RD is adequate to the top 4, as hes shown in the 20ish games hes played before Webers return.

Im not selling Petry for nothing, im selling petry to make room for Rds next year, to make the LDs better, to save money, to capitalize on a player at his highest value and Im selling from a point of strength to cater to a weakness. Thats what a smart GM would do.

Reactions: FrankMTL

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
What are the potential comparisons to Bou in the pending UFA market? I think this plays a factor. Supply and demand always sets the price in a deadline. Remember what Hanzal got?

2019 NHL Free Agents Tracker

quit a few LHD. Chara is either retire or sign with Boston. Kronwall is the same for Detroit. Otherwise a lot of solid LHD there. Karlsson is obviously the big prize, but Edler would be solid to add via trade too.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Bad GMs dont shop these players, youre right.
You are looking at it in playstation/armchair perspective not an actual executive with millions dollars on the line and possibly his job and reputation on the line.

Petry is playing above 20+ minutes per game and doing very good. The habs are currently in a playoff position and he is a key player on the team and for his teammates. He is signed for 3 years and there has no indication wants out. What message you sent to your team if you trade him for an average AHLer in Aho and a 2nd round pick (which is what we got for Plekanec) which is worth nothing now and possibly nothing in 4 years. You would turn the team against you, your team would be worse this year and unless you hit the jackpot with your 2nd round pick this trade would achieve nothing in the long run.

If you are a smart GM you trade from a position of strenght (agreed) but you also make sure that 1) you kill your team chemistry and momentum, 2) You have better option internally and no Juulsen is not ready to step in for Petry not even close,
3) You have depth and competition ready to step in.. Next year it should be the case with Brook stepping in and Fleury/Juulsen with one more year of experience.
4) Petry has way more value than you give him for.
5) Petry has a NTC and the NYI are most likely on it.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Did I say that I think Kulak is ready for top pair minutes? Stop deflecting & trying to redirect.

Let's refocus on YOUR take that I want YOU to elaborate on.

What can you share with us regarding Sebastian Aho's game that suggests you think he can be a top pairing guy?

Because he can't even breakthrough on a New York Islanders team whose expectations were about the same as the Habs heading into this season.

He cant be a top pair D, he can, however be the best option we have at LD.

NYI have three very strong LDs whod all make our team better, and a weak RD. Theyre similar to our team but RDs instead of LDs.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He is getting top pair minutes though.
But I never suggested that's what I think he is...so i'm not quite sure what the point of your question was/is.

Were at a point where the best defender on the left side is a career AHL player and that the 3rd best RD is adequate to the top 4, as hes shown in the 20ish games hes played before Webers return.
And you think a guy who was ignored for 2 straight entry drafts and was eventually drafted in the 5th round in 2017 as a 20yr old and whose CURRENTLY in the NHL unable to crack a defense unit even more non-descript than the Habs one..

is a better solution?

OK...state your case, this is the 3rd time i've asked.

What is it about Sebastian Aho's game that you're familiar with that suggests he can anchor a top pairing?

Im not selling Petry for nothing, im selling petry to make room for Rds next year, to make the LDs better, to save money, to capitalize on a player at his highest value and Im selling from a point of strength to cater to a weakness. Thats what a smart GM would do.
Have any good examples of GM's who have traded #2dmen, with term on their contracts in the middle of a season where there team is competitive?

Would also be curious to know

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He cant be a top pair D, he can, however be the best option we have at LD.

NYI have three very strong LDs whod all make our team better, and a weak RD. Theyre similar to our team but RDs instead of LDs.
Isles defense as of today is

Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield

Very strong LD's?

Agree to disagree I guess...other than Nick Leddy, whose having a very "meh" year. I don't think any of their options are noticeably better than any player the Habs could ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
2019 NHL Free Agents Tracker

quit a few LHD. Chara is either retire or sign with Boston. Kronwall is the same for Detroit. Otherwise a lot of solid LHD there. Karlsson is obviously the big prize, but Edler would be solid to add via trade too.

Yes but how many of them fit this criteria...

- LD Pending UFA
- LD Pending UFA that plays on a team that would be sellers at the deadline

Bouwmeester, Edler, Methot, Del Zotto, Gunnarsson?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
To be honest, I'm not sure what's going on with the Blues and how this affects Bouwmeester. Personally, my approach would be to try to get another Petry type UFA that we can re-sign. Bouwmeester don't fit. He's 36 next year. But if we can get shutdown ability from him, I'm willing to review the potential.

- How does Kulak do with Weber from now till deadline? Does he continue to look good and does he improve or get worse? Hard to predict
- What do the Habs do with Juulsen. Move Petry to left side or have Juulsen on the bottom RD pairing?

As far as trading Schlemko... If we got a 2nd, I'd do it for sure. It frees up cap space for the off season to explore the market and Schlemko to me should be used as a depth guy. He is easily replaceable.
If you're looking at the Blues...the LD I would target is not Bouwmeester or even Edmundson.

Vince Dunn is the guy i'd target.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
So a 5'10 22 years old D-Men that have 4 point in 22 NHL games is your perfect candidate to play with Weber next year ? And you want to trade Petry for him ?

Reactions: 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Yes but how many of them fit this criteria...

- LD Pending UFA
- LD Pending UFA that plays on a team that would be sellers at the deadline

Bouwmeester, Edler, Methot, Del Zotto, Gunnarsson?
Not sure pending UFA LD is what the Habs should be looking at.

If you're going to sacrifice assets for a trade target, they should focus on a player who will be able to help over a more long term basis.

None of the guys you mentioned are upgrades on the LD's we currently have.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There are 2 Sebastian Aho's

Canes forward Aho
Isles Dman/prospect Aho

I rather go with Mete to be honest. If I'm trading Petry, it's for a guy with shutdown ability and decent puck moving skills (like Juulsen). Aho is not that much bigger than Mete and I bet you Mete puts up the same type of numbers in the AHL.

And I'm not that high on Mete either. I like his skating and vision but my eyes are focused on big dude that can skate and have puck moving ability (like making smart simple passes)

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
So a 5'10 22 years old D-Men that have 4 point in 22 NHL games is your perfect candidate to play with Weber next year ? And you want to trade Petry for him ?
Who went undrafted for 2 straight years and was eventually drafted in the 5th round as a 20yr old mind you.

The little I do know about him, I like his skating and offensive upside...but if the Habs want him, i'm not sure trading Jeff Petry is necessary at all.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I rather go with Mete to be honest. If I'm trading Petry, it's for a guy with shutdown ability and decent puck moving skills (like Juulsen). Aho is not that much bigger than Mete and I bet you Mete puts up the same type of numbers in the AHL.

And I'm not that high on Mete either. I like his skating and vision but my eyes are focused on big dude that can skate and have puck moving ability (like making smart simple passes)
If i'm trading Jeff Petry...

It's not for a player like Sebastian Aho (Isles) + a 2nd round pick.

I think they could aim a little higher than that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If you're looking at the Blues...the LD I would target is not Bouwmeester or even Edmundson.

Vince Dunn is the guy i'd target.

Same here but I doubt the Blues are going to trade their youth. My focus would be with the Leafs and to see if they are interested in Petry.

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- future 2nd
- Horton contract

The memo I would send out to all teams is Petry is available and the price is..
- Grade A prospect on LD
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd

If I get no phone calls, so be it. I keep Petry. If I get a phone call, the price is what it is. Top 4D on the right side and on 3 years of term is not a dime a dozen in this market. Pay up or shut up. Same approach we took with Patch... stay patient and let circumstance work in our favor.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Same here but I doubt the Blues are going to trade their youth. My focus would be with the Leafs and to see if they are interested in Petry.

- Petry
for
- Sandin
- 2019 1st
- future 2nd
- Horton contract

The memo I would send out to all teams is Petry is available and the price is..
- Grade A prospect on LD
- 2019 1st
- Future 2nd
Based on what i'm reading...anyone and everyone is available in St. Louis

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Based on what i'm reading...anyone and everyone is available in St. Louis

If they can stomach Dunn (doubt it), I'd be interested in trading Petry. But I think they focus on a rebuild and Dunn would be part of it. I know if I was them, that's what I would do.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Isles defense as of today is

Leddy-Boychuk
Hickey-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield

Very strong LD's?

Agree to disagree I guess...other than Nick Leddy, whose having a very "meh" year. I don't think any of their options are noticeably better than any player the Habs could ice.

Hickey and Pelech are both guys good enough to be number 4's, so yeah, very strong compared to the Habs, who don't even have ONE top four LD.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hickey and Pelech are both guys good enough to be number 4's, so yeah, very strong compared to the Habs, who don't even have ONE top four LD.
Hmm...

Grass greener on the other side I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->