Trade Proposal- MacDonald

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I didn't see the trade proposals so sorry for starting a new thread. Is this fair?

Arizona
MacDonald (Cap hit (5.5-.5)x3 salary 16.5m-1.5m)

Phil
Jamie McGinn (3.33X2 salary 7m)
Bolland (salary not covered by insurance 2.2m over next 2 years)
Flyers retain .5m per year

----------------
Arizona takes on 15m of salary while Flyers take on 10.7m of salary. Effectively, Arizona pay 4.3m for MacDonald over 3 next years, which amounts to about 1.4m per year. McGinn can get buried in AHL or play 4th line for next 2 years. Bolland goes on LTIR and Flyers retain .5m per year, which is not a big deal.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

New Flyers ownership may not want to eat uninsured salary as Mr Snider did, especially while still eating Bryz...so there is that.

A Mac...as mediocre as he is...would have to be replaced. Right now, he's basically the veteran D leader. If we go 3 rookies next year...someone has to play top pair. Ghost isn't there imo....I don't like the idea of putting a guy in a role he's not ready for and ruining his confidence IMO.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't see the trade proposals so sorry for starting a new thread. Is this fair?

Arizona
MacDonald (Cap hit (5.5-.5)x3 salary 16.5m-1.5m)

Phil
Jamie McGinn (3.33X2 salary 7m)
Bolland (salary not covered by insurance 2.2m over next 2 years)
Flyers retain .5m per year

----------------
Arizona takes on 15m of salary while Flyers take on 10.7m of salary. Effectively, Arizona pay 4.3m for MacDonald over 3 next years, which amounts to about 1.4m per year. McGinn can get buried in AHL or play 4th line for next 2 years. Bolland goes on LTIR and Flyers retain .5m per year, which is not a big deal.

I would do it if we can flip McGinn somewhere else. We don't need him in our bottom 6 and I don't want to be another Toronto and bury a veteran in the minors that could play on another NHL team.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd rather try to trade him at 50% for a low pick rather than take on more bad contracts. That would be a lot easier to do if he only had one year left, of course.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kris Russell who will be a 30 year old UFA, and looking for a raise on his $3.1m AAV. That should set the market for low Corsi Rel/high minute dmen.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'd rather try to trade him at 50% for a low pick rather than take on more bad contracts. That would be a lot easier to do if he only had one year left, of course.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kris Russell who will be a 30 year old UFA, and looking for a raise on his $3.1m AAV. That should set the market for low Corsi Rel/high minute dmen.
a Macs salary for cap hit being equal also doesn't help things any.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
It's not out of the realm of possibilities.

New Flyers ownership may not want to eat uninsured salary as Mr Snider did, especially while still eating Bryz...so there is that.

A Mac...as mediocre as he is...would have to be replaced. Right now, he's basically the veteran D leader. If we go 3 rookies next year...someone has to play top pair. Ghost isn't there imo....I don't like the idea of putting a guy in a role he's not ready for and ruining his confidence IMO.

Gudas can play on the top pair with provy,honestly i wouldnt mind the trade purposal

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Doesn't matter what we think, Hextall is in the driver's seat.

Last season it definitely looked like they would do anything just to get rid of that player, maybe even freak him out by demoting him to terminate the contract, if possible.
This season, not so much. Hexstall/Hakstol may want to keep him around as a Veteran presence.

Personally, I may opt for buyout. Don't want them to pick up to players that do not make them better and still have term as well.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
So Arizona gets to have worse player, pay more salary and will give up a deal that is helping them reach cap floor. Why are they doing this?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
So Arizona gets to have worse player, pay more salary and will give up a deal that is helping them reach cap floor. Why are they doing this?

Bolland's salary is not covered by insurance so at least in MacDonald, they are paying a guy to play vs paying a guy not to play.

pinedak

Dec 4, 2014
I would give a 2nd to any team that wanted it so i could remove him completely.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Bolland's salary is not covered by insurance so at least in MacDonald, they are paying a guy to play vs paying a guy not to play.

That's a fair point, but they already have 6 nhl defensemen, no need to bother with Ahl talent like Amac. Chayka was also holding out on Reider until he was willing to resign for pennies and they are going to throw away money for as little as farmer brings to the table?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Last season it definitely looked like they would do anything just to get rid of that player, maybe even freak him out by demoting him to terminate the contract, if possible.
This season, not so much. Hexstall/Hakstol may want to keep him around as a Veteran presence.

Personally, I may opt for buyout. Don't want them to pick up to players that do not make them better and still have term as well.

They never waived MacDonald after sending him down, so I don't think they're willing to 'do anything,' and the way he's been glued to Provorov, they obviously think he has value.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

Not really. Hextall made it pretty clear that the only reason MacDonald was sent down was because of cap issues.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If there were enough idiot GMs to get us into this MacDonald situation in the first place, there are enough idiot GMs still out there to value him now that Renaissance MacDonald has had a *cough* bounce back year. That's the narrative league-wide.

I actually think he's more tradable than people think. Like maybe the Flyers eat $1-1.5 million......and for a measly 3 years @ $3.5-4 million, you too can have your very own top 4 defenseman! With the ability to mentor any top d prospect! And did I mention his recipes for all things beets?! It's not like the free agent market is so hot this year.

The issue is that Hakstol loves the holy **** out of him now. He's just another in a long line of bad players stereotyped as safe and reliable that he can't get enough of. Given the only other vet we have is Gudas, I wouldn't be surprised to see them actually want to keep him now instead of giving him away.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Kris Russell, besides taking a dump on the ice whenever he plays, took a dump on himself in free agency. He was asking for 5 years @ $5 million. Priced himself out and settled for 1 year @ $3.1 million on a prove it deal for next free agent cycle. We will see what his next contract is. Wouldn't surprise me to see it be no worse than 3 years @ 3.5-4 mil, comparable to MacDonald's potentially partly eaten contract.

I do think there are teams who would jump at that.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
With Del Zotto likely not being re-signed, I don't think Hextall would trade MacDonald if someone were offering him a 2nd round pick. Hakstol loves him and I don't think Hextall is going to go out of his way to trade one of his coach's favorite veteran defensemen.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Kris Russell, besides taking a dump on the ice whenever he plays, took a dump on himself in free agency. He was asking for 5 years @ $5 million. Priced himself out and settled for 1 year @ $3.1 million on a prove it deal for next free agent cycle. We will see what his next contract is. Wouldn't surprise me to see it be no worse than 3 years @ 3.5-4 mil, comparable to MacDonald's potentially partly eaten contract.

I do think there are teams who would jump at that.

God I hope you are right. Getting rid of Amac would be huge, but at the same time I'm afraid Hak is serious with Belly on the top line and it's his new way of tormenting me.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If there were enough idiot GMs to get us into this MacDonald situation in the first place, there are enough idiot GMs still out there to value him now that Renaissance MacDonald has had a *cough* bounce back year. That's the narrative league-wide.

I actually think he's more tradable than people think. Like maybe the Flyers eat $1-1.5 million......and for a measly 3 years @ $3.5-4 million, you too can have your very own top 4 defenseman! With the ability to mentor any top d prospect! And did I mention his recipes for all things beets?! It's not like the free agent market is so hot this year.

The issue is that Hakstol loves the holy **** out of him now. He's just another in a long line of bad players stereotyped as safe and reliable that he can't get enough of. Given the only other vet we have is Gudas, I wouldn't be surprised to see them actually want to keep him now instead of giving him away.

With Del Zotto likely not being re-signed, I don't think Hextall would trade MacDonald if someone were offering him a 2nd round pick. Hakstol loves him and I don't think Hextall is going to go out of his way to trade one of his coach's favorite veteran defensemen.

You both make me sad.

:pout:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad