Confirmed with Link: TRADE: Penguins acquire LW Andreas Martinsen, 7th Round Pick from Ducks for Erik Gudbranson

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
as long as the Pens play the "physical" game that has them finishing checks to disrupt the opposing team's breakouts or zone entries and not the "physical" game like Jack Johnson plays by going out of position in their zone to throw a mediocre hit into the boards, I'm okay with that.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Well JR was able to move Gudbranson (WHICH WAS A BAD MOVE TO BEGIN WITH). Now we just have to suffer with Johnson (ANOTHER BAD MOVE). Can this guy help himself with bad moves?

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he were to bring Rob Scuderi back to be a security blanket for Marino. He's that bad.

Looks like the 1st is safe for now until we have to use it to push Johnson out the door. I just hope the carnage doesn't keep us from the playoffs. What an oaf.

When you make a lot of moves, some desperate, there are going to be bad ones. Schultz was considered a bad move at one time... everyone trashed the tanev signing..

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
When you make a lot of moves, some desperate, there are going to be bad ones. Schultz was considered a bad move at one time... everyone trashed the tanev signing..

Everyone knows that even the best GM's fail at times.

However, my problem with some of the trades the past couple of years, and I said it at the time of each trade, was the complete 180 degree shift from speed, youth and skill that won back to back cups to this quest for size and grit that most here knew was a mistake.

So the individuals traded for, fine, it happens.

Change of philosophy trying to be part one thing and part the other which is diametrically opposed to the first? Not fine at all.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

However, my problem with some of the trades the past couple of years, and I said it at the time of each trade, was the complete 180 degree shift from speed, youth and skill that won back to back cups to this quest for size and grit that most here knew was a mistake.

Change of philosophy trying to be part one thing and part the other which is diametrically opposed to the first? Not fine at all.

I occasionally listen to the Steve Dangle Podcast and Dangle echoed the exact same though, he said JR must be the first guy to not like how he won back to back cups.

Terrapin

Mar 6, 2007

Putting Ryan Reaves on the 4th line over guys like Kuhnackl didn't effect our team speed or skill one bit. If Sullivan would have stuck with him, all would have been fine. didn't we win like 13 in a row right before Reaves was traded? Instead, Sully dicked around, refused to play him, and JR's been chasing his tail ever since.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is a debate that will never cease to exist because people hate when the team gets bullied, but they hate wasting space on a sub-par player who is taking up a spot for a young guy or a more skilled guy. You can draft big tough guys like Poulin, but we certainly don't want him fighting. Fighting is always going to have a place in the game because you're always going to have marginal players that are trying to make a name for themselves and earn an NHL playcheck (i.e. that little rat Daniel Carcillo).

I don't think Gudbranson was stopping much of anything anyway. Jack Johnson can fight also. He's not as tall as Gudbranson but he is heavier, and IMO stronger.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
When you look at how Reaves is producing in Vegas, it makes you wonder.

Perhaps Sullivan didn't like playing Reaves and it wasn't his call to acquire him, maybe Gallant just utilizes Reaves better. Who knows? All I know is the Penguins didn't need an "enforcer" in 2016 or 2017. I mean, would I like to see guys like Evander Kane or Tom Wilson get KO'd after running players on the Penguins? Of course I would, but not in sacrifice for winning.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

Perhaps Sullivan didn't like playing Reaves and it wasn't his call to acquire him, maybe Gallant just utilizes Reaves better. Who knows? All I know is the Penguins didn't need an "enforcer" in 2016 or 2017. I mean, would I like to see guys like Evander Kane or Tom Wilson get KO'd after running players on the Penguins? Of course I would, but not in sacrifice for winning.

Makes you wonder what? Granted, he had a career year last year, so good for him. He also had a career year in TOI with almost 20% more ice time than his next closest year with and 59% offensive zone starts. And all of that would have still put him as our 12-13th best point producer at best. This year? He's right back to his regular pace in everything.

If you want to argue for Reaves as an enforcer who won't look terrible as a 12/13F, fine. I hated the trade, don't like enforcers, but if we (meaning JR) have to have one he's probably the best at hockey of the bunch so it might as well be him. But let's not pretend that he's actually good at hockey.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is a debate that will never cease to exist because people hate when the team gets bullied, but they hate wasting space on a sub-par player who is taking up a spot for a young guy or a more skilled guy. You can draft big tough guys like Poulin, but we certainly don't want him fighting. Fighting is always going to have a place in the game because you're always going to have marginal players that are trying to make a name for themselves and earn an NHL playcheck (i.e. that little rat Daniel Carcillo).

I don't think Gudbranson was stopping much of anything anyway. Jack Johnson can fight also. He's not as tall as Gudbranson but he is heavier, and IMO stronger.

Fighting is going to die a slow death I think. Eventually I can see it being banned, but will probably take 30 years or so after the old schoolers die off (no offense to them) and concussion research is impossible to ignore.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Reaves apparently had 3 PP goals last year. No idea why he was on the PP, but the more you know!

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Fighting is going to die a slow death I think. Eventually I can see it being banned, but will probably take 30 years or so after the old schoolers die off (no offense to them) and concussion research is impossible to ignore.

I am a fan of fighting when it is a natural spill over. The staged fights where guys had them planned days in advance and would completely undress before were dumb and pointless. I say this because I cannot ever see a league where teams don't employ shitheads that like to start trouble and start shit. I also like the momentum shift a fight can have on a game, and I also believe that fights are a natural tension release. Let two guys throw fists and it's over, or let things fester and get worse and worse, because that is more than likely what would happen.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I am a fan of fighting when it is a natural spill over. The staged fights where guys had them planned days in advance and would completely undress before were dumb and pointless. I say this because I cannot ever see a league where teams don't employ ****heads that like to start trouble and start ****. I also like the momentum shift a fight can have on a game, and I also believe that fights are a natural tension release. Let two guys throw fists and it's over, or let things fester and get worse and worse, because that is more than likely what would happen.
I agree with you, but things start to fester because they let so much little shit go. There's so much stick work, face washes, etc. that goes uncalled during the game or post whistle. I'm not really calling for an end to it, but they could crack down on it if they wanted and a lot of stuff would go away. There's always going to be some of it since it's a contact sport, but hockey culture in North America likes the chippiness.

The only thing I'd really call for an end to is the instigator rule.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

What are you talking about? Last year the trades all made the team younger trading UFA players for young players with term. Pens are the 10th youngest team in the league and one of the fastest. Rutherford has done a great job keeping a contending team with it's core 3 players nearing mid 30's but still keeping the team young and fast around them.

Yes, some trades did not work out but no person thought Brassard was a bad trade at the time. Not every deal works out and you move on. Perron didn't work out despite still to this day being a productive top 6 forward that just won a Cup. We moved on and traded him for Hagelin and went on to win 2 Cups. Moved on from Brassard and Sheahan and traded them for McCann and Bjugstad which was a great deal for us.

Traded for young defenseman Pettersson and Marino for literally nothing of value (Waiver wire forward and a 6th). Love his deals last year and over the summer. I also love the signing of Tanev who is a perfect fit for Sullivan's system.

I didn't even mind the Reaves trade and he obviously played well considering he played in the Cup Finals that year. Sundqvist would still be in the minors if he played for the Pens. He does not fit our system and couldn't even beat out Rowney when on our team and players like Blueger had passed him up in our teams eyes. Rutherford has done a great job icing a playoff team every season and the leagues current longest streak. Not every signing or trade works out but Rutherford has made many more great ones than bad ones and the 2 Cups proves that.

Also what is not to love about his the work over the past year? One of the top ten youngest teams and one of the fastest. Love how we have still been competitive each game despite so many top forwards out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guentz

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I agree with you, but things start to fester because they let so much little **** go. There's so much stick work, face washes, etc. that goes uncalled during the game or post whistle. I'm not really calling for an end to it, but they could crack down on it if they wanted and a lot of stuff would go away. There's always going to be some of it since it's a contact sport, but hockey culture in North America likes the chippiness.

The only thing I'd really call for an end to is the instigator rule.

Yeah, you are right. I enjoy the natural emotion and aggression of hockey. I love how emotions bubble up. In the playoffs, I love how they spill over from game to game and series develop a storyline. I would hate for that to go away. The playoffs is sort of where I would like to see the game go - the beginning of the playoffs, not the end where the refs swallow whistles.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Brassard was a deal that never needed to be made for so many reasons. Malkin back Saturday and a forward sits. Me I trade Kuhny who is a good talent but is one to many smaller skilled forwards back to the Hawks. They need scoring for a third pick and Pens can have Angelo ready when they need a forward to mix it up. Gives Pens 2.1 million in cap space which is good for now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What are you talking about? Last year the trades all made the team younger trading UFA players for young players with term. Pens are the 10th youngest team in the league and one of the fastest. Rutherford has done a great job keeping a contending team with it's core 3 players nearing mid 30's but still keeping the team young and fast around them.

Yes, some trades did not work out but no person thought Brassard was a bad trade at the time. Not every deal works out and you move on. Perron didn't work out despite still to this day being a productive top 6 forward that just won a Cup. We moved on and traded him for Hagelin and went on to win 2 Cups. Moved on from Brassard and Sheahan and traded them for McCann and Bjugstad which was a great deal for us.

Traded for young defenseman Pettersson and Marino for literally nothing of value (Waiver wire forward and a 6th). Love his deals last year and over the summer. I also love the signing of Tanev who is a perfect fit for Sullivan's system.

I didn't even mind the Reaves trade and he obviously played well considering he played in the Cup Finals that year. Sundqvist would still be in the minors if he played for the Pens. He does not fit our system and couldn't even beat out Rowney when on our team and players like Blueger had passed him up in our teams eyes. Rutherford has done a great job icing a playoff team every season and the leagues current longest streak. Not every signing or trade works out but Rutherford has made many more great ones than bad ones and the 2 Cups proves that.

Also what is not to love about his the work over the past year? One of the top ten youngest teams and one of the fastest. Love how we have still been competitive each game despite so many top forwards out.

JR made an obvious correction during the season in reverting back to the team building philosophy that won back to back cups.

I was referring to the period before that when he chased size.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Brassard was a deal that never needed to be made for so many reasons. Malkin back Saturday and a forward sits. Me I trade Kuhny who is a good talent but is one to many smaller skilled forwards back to the Hawks. They need scoring for a third pick and Pens can have Angelo ready when they need a forward to mix it up. Gives Pens 2.1 million in cap space which is good for now.

Naw. Guys like Kahun and Tanev are exactly the types you need in this league now.
I agree with you on Brassard. Was overkill just like trying to wedge Bjugs into 3C now when Blueger/McCann/Lafferty would do the 2-way job.

Reactions: Andy99

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Naw. Guys like Kahun and Tanev are exactly the types you need in this league now.
I agree with you on Brassard. Was overkill just like trying to wedge Bjugs into 3C now when Blueger/McCann/Lafferty would do the 2-way job.

the only problem with Brassard is that his career magically turned into a pumpkin the second he got here. And thats the only problem with that trade.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Im a bit late to the party but; THANK GOD hes gone. Lets move JMFJ and I might believe in this group again.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
the only problem with Brassard is that his career magically turned into a pumpkin the second he got here. And thats the only problem with that trade.

When i was researching him pre-deal he just seemed like a suitable 2C who got softer minutes. Certainly not the type to be THE checking C needed here.
Wasn't the greatest skater either so that wasn't a fit too.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Makes you wonder what? Granted, he had a career year last year, so good for him. He also had a career year in TOI with almost 20% more ice time than his next closest year with and 59% offensive zone starts. And all of that would have still put him as our 12-13th best point producer at best. This year? He's right back to his regular pace in everything.

If you want to argue for Reaves as an enforcer who won't look terrible as a 12/13F, fine. I hated the trade, don't like enforcers, but if we (meaning JR) have to have one he's probably the best at hockey of the bunch so it might as well be him. But let's not pretend that he's actually good at hockey.

Gee, if 20 point 4th liners aren't good at hockey, what does that say about 20 point bottom 6er Matt Cullen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad