Confirmed with Link: Trade: Namestnikov for a 2021 4th round pick and Ebert

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
Why are people complaining about this deal so much?

He’s an alright 3C/3LW and analytically speaking he’s actually decent defensively and our defensive game is horrid. People acting like adding a player is going to ruin the tank or something, it’s a 35-40 point player not Connor McDavid, lol. Also it’s one middle round pick, that we will likely get back once we flip him at the deadline. He will get power play time and Top 6 minutes here and probably hit 25 points before the deadline and get us maybe a 3rd and a prospect.

Also, if we don’t trade him at the deadline, it gives us more flexibility to trade Pageau and Tierney, just in case Brown and Norris aren’t ready.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
When the best thing you can say about a guy is that he's "only 26", you know it's a poor deal.

And while I don't care all that much about picks after the 3rd round...it's still an asset you can package to move up in the draft.

Now to wait and see if this deal is part of something bigger.

Reactions: Blotto71

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon

He’s an alright 3C/3LW and analytically speaking he’s actually decent defensively and our defensive game is horrid. People acting like adding a player is going to ruin the tank or something, it’s a 35-40 point player not Connor McDavid, lol. Also it’s one middle round pick, that we will likely get back once we flip him at the deadline. He will get power play time and Top 6 minutes here and probably hit 25 points before the deadline and get us maybe a 3rd and a prospect.

Also, if we don’t trade him at the deadline, it gives us more flexibility to trade Pageau and Tierney, just in case Brown and Norris aren’t ready.
It seems more like people just dont care much either way cuz its more of the same.

A stopgap that has no future here. No need to be upset about what it cost to get him, but definitely no reason to be excited about the player in the context of a rebuild.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Some people are just so used to complaining and whining that they wouldn’t know a win when they saw it anymore.

Hopefully something else happens out of it. I think it might have been an okay move for the team. Way to early to call anything at all this season

Reactions: Clayonator

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Some people are just so used to complaining and whining that they wouldn’t know a win when they saw it anymore.

Hopefully something else happens out of it. I think it might have been an okay move for the team. Way to early to call anything at all this season
I guess when you spend years making bad move after bad move and prioritize money over the hockey product time after time, yes, people will "whine" even at the good stuff.

I guess we could kiss the ass of these idiots instead?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I guess when you spend years making bad move after bad move and prioritize money over the hockey product time after time, yes, people will "whine" even at the good stuff.

I guess we could kiss the ass of these idiots instead?

Only Siths deal in absolutes. Does it have to be extreme on either 'side' no matter what?

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Come back from hockey to this, dear lord.... dont like giving away any picks let alone one of decent value, surely theres a warm body out there without contract that could have been signed as a filler?

I dont understand this move, par for the course though as it's been years since I have. This team continues to be a mess imo

Reactions: Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Did we need a forward with more experience and talent to come in and shield the kids, especially in the top-6? Yes.

Is Namestikov that forward? Hell no.

He was only good when playing with Tampa's top guys. He's invisible otherwise. And we already have a bunch of guys like him in Tierney, Anisimov, Boedker and Ryan(not just in terms of position but talent level).

This can only take away a spot from the rookies/young players without bringing anything we lack. Pointless move from Pierre once again.

Reactions: Blotto71

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
i think Dorion is quickly trying to change the topic of 1) how bad our roster is and 2) how bad that Zibby trade was - as like 90% of his trades

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Pageau makes 3.4 mil in actual salary, Namestnikov with the retention will make 3.25 mil.
If Pageau is the one that has to leave because of that, we made this trade to save 150 thousand dollars... disgusting.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
It’s either a guy who plays well and you sign him for a year or two, or a guy who is whatever and you trade him to get that pick back. He takes a spot in the lineup until the deadline at least.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I was so into the BUF vs CBJ game I totally missed this.

It's a... confusing move. There has to be more on the way.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It seems more like people just dont care much either way cuz its more of the same.

A stopgap that has no future here. No need to be upset about what it cost to get him, but definitely no reason to be excited about the player in the context of a rebuild.

I believe it is only fair to look at the odds based on history. When was the last time Dorion flat out "won" a trade. And I do not mean, "not a bad trade"; specifically recall a trade for me that Dorion can brag about as receiving the better asset in the deal without a doubt?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So, literally no point in acquiring him.
They need to sign players for next season so if he plays well as a rental they could sign him, as opposed to free agents who may not want to come here if they have never experienced the team and city. And if they trade somebody else soon it makes more sense.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I believe it is only fair to look at the odds based on history. When was the last time Dorion flat out "won" a trade. And I do not mean, "not a bad trade"; specifically recall a trade for me that Dorion can brag about as receiving the better asset in the deal without a doubt?
Dzingel for sure IMO. Not sure anything else is close lately.

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
It’s either a guy who plays well and you sign him for a year or two, or a guy who is whatever and you trade him to get that pick back. He takes a spot in the lineup until the deadline at least.

There is a high possibility currently that playing for the Ottawa Senators could decrease a players trade value. If Namestnikov cannot pull his weight around and put up some points from now until February on a team desperate to hand out top line minutes and Powerplay time, then good luck getting a 4th round pick back at the deadline. In fact, he could become untraceable, so let us hope that the opposite happens and he find some chemistry with at least one other player and he produces some points.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
They need to sign players for next season so if he plays well as a rental they could sign him, as opposed to free agents who may not want to come here if they have never experienced the team and city. And if they trade somebody else soon it makes more sense.

If by next year we don't have a few young players ready to take middle-6 spots we're in bigger trouble than I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad