Confirmed with Link: Trade: Namestnikov for a 2021 4th round pick and Ebert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The only coaches in Sens history to ever get a head coaching job after being let go by the Sens are Rick Bowness (95-96) and Jacques Martin (02-03).

Sens are on their 12th coach outside of those two.

That speaks volumes.

To be fair, Murray was promoted out of coaching as opposed to exiled out of it, so he probably should come with an asterisk

As another footnote, we when after Deboer pretty hard and it got to the point where he flew down to Barbados to meet Melnyk, which apparently only happens once the offer is made, but he leveraged it into a better deal with Florida. Hartsburg was the backup plan...

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
The only coaches in Sens history to ever get a head coaching job after being let go by the Sens are Rick Bowness (95-96) and Jacques Martin (02-03).

Sens are on their 12th coach outside of those two.

That speaks volumes.

Why did you have to put it like that BT?

That hurts my insides.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

He's young enough that if he shows something they may want to re-sign him for another yr or two & if he doesn't they hope to trade him for more than what they paid to a playoff team looking for some scoring depth. Whether that actually materializes or not remains to be seen. IMO it could go either way with this guy, but I doubt he is in their long term future plans. We'll see.

I also think or it looks to me that it's possible that they want to keep their better prospects in Belleville this yr for a run at the Calder Cup & allow Ottawa to tank for the 2020 draft. I think they are tanking for Lafreniere, but if they get one of the other top 5 guys that they will be happy with that as well & call it a win.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Oh my is that an Ottawa reporter actually reporting on this team and asking real questions. About time.

I can't stream it at work, does that summary byline say 'Sens start a surprise to management' ??

They can't be serious. It's a top tier tank roster, and they and everyone else knows it.

Start surprising to management, the only way that's accurate is if they mean "we are way worse then we even hoped for."

Reactions: Deku

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
the only way that's accurate is if they mean "we are way worse then we even hoped for."
It’s clearly that. None of the rookies distinguished themselves at camp and the on-ice performance for the first 2 games shows that this roster wouldn’t even do that well in the AHL. It’s comically bad.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It’s clearly that. None of the rookies distinguished themselves at camp and the on-ice performance for the first 2 games shows that this roster wouldn’t even do that well in the AHL. It’s comically bad.

Its truly shocking to think that they didnt see this coming. But apparently they did not, plenty of players like Namestinikov available via free agency that were alot cheaper. But they have decided that spending assets on said player was something they had to do 2 games in to the season.

Which really should be ringing alarm bells all over the place that they really have no plan, no direction and no ability to evaluate their own players let alone the ones they are trading for.

TWO GAMES... thats how quickly they decided to change the entire plan of the offseason. 6 minutes of ice time for Chlapik to decide he shouldnt be up here.

This is going to be one hell of a downward roller coaster of emotions this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's young enough that if he shows something they may want to re-sign him for another yr or two & if he doesn't they hope to trade him for more than what they paid to a playoff team looking for some scoring depth. Whether that actually materializes or not remains to be seen. IMO it could go either way with this guy, but I doubt he is in their long term future plans. We'll see.

I also think or it looks to me that it's possible that they want to keep their better prospects in Belleville this yr for a run at the Calder Cup & allow Ottawa to tank for the 2020 draft. I think they are tanking for Lafreniere, but if they get one of the other top 5 guys that they will be happy with that as well & call it a win.

Namestnikov might be a decent addition to the team and might return to 20 goal performance level IF he were to play with elite forwards; however the Senators currently do not have more than perhaps 1 such forward. The rest are mediocre and bottom 6 level players. The prospects have not shown enough to date to earn a job in the NHL. So I doubt that he will score 20 goals with Ottawa.

We all know the team is not very good and will likely be in the bottom quartile this season and could likely be last in the league.

It will be interesting to see who Ottawa signs for the future. I expect any pending UFAs to be traded before the end of the year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Its truly shocking to think that they didnt see this coming. But apparently they did not, plenty of players like Namestinikov available via free agency that were alot cheaper. But they have decided that spending assets on said player was something they had to do 2 games in to the season.

Which really should be ringing alarm bells all over the place that they really have no plan, no direction and no ability to evaluate their own players let alone the ones they are trading for.

TWO GAMES... thats how quickly they decided to change the entire plan of the offseason. 6 minutes of ice time for Chlapik to decide he shouldnt be up here.

This is going to be one hell of a downward roller coaster of emotions this season.

I wonder where this trade stands on Dorion’s proudest day meter?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think this is a two year tank plan! Tank for two years and hope we get two nice picks.

The roster is looking good for two years of last place.specialky with handling of prospects in the AHL. However I trust Belleville to slot these guys better then the Dorion.

In mean time we play for the tank for two years and hope for the best.

I am worried about Branstrom , Hainsey is not like the best d-man to help him develop. I prefer way things are going he goes to the AHL before things get real bad.

Fill the team full of hacks and aim for top picks and shelter the prospects and enjoy some crazy hockey and hope Dorion does not mess things up too bad.

I would like to see a new GM in place ASAP. Give the new GM a 5 year contract with a mandate to build the team via the draft and development with the objective being to make the playoffs in his 5th year. Take the pressure off him by telling the truth, eliminating the bs, and get the fans to rally behind the rebuild.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
This is so silly. Namestikov is an improvement for a craptacular roster and is a pending UFA.

Everything lines up perfectly with the plan: tank and free up money for the future core.
How does that free up money? We’d be in the same position money wise at the end of the year with him leaving with or without trading for him, actually would have saved the couple million we spent on him this year prior to trading, or letting him walk. Unless we actually want to sign him? Which would perplex me even more.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
How does that free up money? We’d be in the same position money wise at the end of the year with him leaving with or without trading for him, actually would have saved the couple million we spent on him this year prior to trading, or letting him walk. Unless we actually want to sign him? Which would perplex me even more.

That was poorly worded on my part. I should have said that Namestikov being a pending UFA gives the team a lot of flexibilty in a tank year:

- He does well, we sign him
- He does well, we trade him to a playoff team
- He does poorly, we trade him for a 4th to a playoff team
- He does poorly, we let him walk

These are all good options. We are tanking.

I am not claiming that this is a great trade. I just think it makes sense: the roster was god-awful (well it still, but less so), shows a (minimal) commitment to spending on the NHL team and puts our better prospects in Belleville. There is no downside except the increased cost of the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is so silly. Namestikov is an improvement for a craptacular roster and is a pending UFA.

Everything lines up perfectly with the plan: tank and free up money for the future core.

Doesn't help the tank. It won't hurt it much imo.. and it costs you 3+M for a marginal improvement. So lining up with tanking and freeing up money doesn't make sense.
I am pretty sure the Sens got Namestikov thinking it will help the current team.. that Mr. Dorion put together. I assume Mr. Dorion had to go to Mr. Melnyk with his hat in hand to make this deal.. I would love to be a fly on the wall for their heady hockey conversations.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'll say this much - I like the Namestinkov acquisition more than the Sabourin signing.

At least Namestinkov can play a regular shift in the NHL, and he's versatile. Can play wing or center if need be. He's overpaid, but at least he belongs on an NHL roster even if he's making like $1.5mil too much.

Sabourin... already feels like he's in the rear-view mirror. A feel-good story for the sake of having a feel-good story, to offer a fun distraction from how bad the team is.

So if we're ranking this on the Dorion Scale, it's not even the worst player acquisition in the last month.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'll say this much - I like the Namestinkov acquisition more than the Sabourin signing.

At least Namestinkov can play a regular shift in the NHL, and he's versatile. Can play wing or center if need be. He's overpaid, but at least he belongs on an NHL roster even if he's making like $1.5mil too much.

Sabourin... already feels like he's in the rear-view mirror. A feel-good story for the sake of having a feel-good story, to offer a fun distraction from how bad the team is.

So if we're ranking this on the Dorion Scale, it's not even the worst player acquisition in the last month.

Agree x 2. I don't mind the signing and I think cost should be recoverable. Not sure what they had in Ebert however. I think the whole "kids are alright" / rebuild messaging vs what they are actually doing with the team is a little incongruous but I suppose that is to be expected at this point. Its also seems out of sync with the get the payroll under the cap floor direction they were on over the summer.
The heart strings , grass roots hockey player makes it to the bigs story is nice.. but he was contract #49.. Now if that was to tie your hands from taking a shot at a player that could help them more long term off the waiver wire .. its not worth it, and reportedly they avoided the waiver pickup because they didn't want to go to 50. Last game he didn't get much ice.. so its like playing with 11 forwards being asked to outwork their more capable opponents. I'd rather have a player they could trust to play at least what the other 4th line guys play. I'd have rather took a shot at a young , very cheap waiver wire pickup with upside v the gets ya in the feels thing.

This hope for the best moment by moment plan .. they are executing should be entertaining.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Sabourin didnt cost the team anything. Namestinikov did. I also dont see how the sens are going to get a 4th for him when the rangers retained salary for the sens to give up a 4th round pick. A sens 4th rounder is like a late 3rd for a regular team so they wont be getting that pick back either. Why do people feel the team with the worst asset management in the league will do better than a team with a track record of one of the best?

If the team is trying to actively tank I dont see how this is a good move on any level, it makes no sense at all. So while I understand and agree Namestinikov is clearly a far superior player, where the sens sit I dont see how its the better move of the two.

I also am really tired of people saying oh its only a 4th its only a 3rd its only a 5th etc. This team has given away so many picks for absolutely nothing in return that they really start to add up. They finished last and second last in the last two years and didnt even have 7 picks in last years draft.... The main reason this team is in this position is its horrid asset management its absolutely putrid.

New owner new GM PLEASE.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sabourin didnt cost the team anything. Namestinikov did. I also dont see how the sens are going to get a 4th for him when the rangers retained salary for the sens to give up a 4th round pick. A sens 4th rounder is like a late 3rd for a regular team so they wont be getting that pick back either. Why do people feel the team with the worst asset management in the league will do better than a team with a track record of one of the best?

If the team is trying to actively tank I dont see how this is a good move on any level, it makes no sense at all. So while I understand and agree Namestinikov is clearly a far superior player, where the sens sit I dont see how its the better move of the two.

I also am really tired of people saying oh its only a 4th its only a 3rd its only a 5th etc. This team has given away so many picks for absolutely nothing in return that they really start to add up. They finished last and second last in the last two years and didnt even have 7 picks in last years draft.... The main reason this team is in this position is its horrid asset management its absolutely putrid.

New owner new GM PLEASE.
Definitely would have rather given them Ebert and our 2019 4th rounder

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad