Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If I’m Jarmo , I’m doing everything I can to work a trade for Seguin . All options other than Jones , Pld would be on the table . Werenski for Seguin would be a great hockey trade for both teams . Then the jackets can keep Wennberg at the 3c, buy out Dubinsky

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
If I’m Jarmo , I’m doing everything I can to work a trade for Seguin . All options other than Jones , Pld would be on the table . Werenski for Seguin would be a great hockey trade for both teams . Then the jackets can keep Wennberg at the 3c, buy out Dubinsky

Seguin would be fantastic, but I'd rather add someone who could fill a void without impacting the current roster.

If not Duchene, then perhaps Eric Staal? A legit 2C will be needed to take some focus away from Bread-PLD-Cam.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Staal is on track for 55 pts, down from 76 last year and 65 the prior year. A big physical guy who could be counted on for 50 pts on the downside and maybe 60 on the upside could be worth a shot.
Kevin Hayes would cost more but is a lot younger but he might be the ideal 2C ufa center available.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Staal is on track for 55 pts, down from 76 last year and 65 the prior year. A big physical guy who could be counted on for 50 pts on the downside and maybe 60 on the upside could be worth a shot.
Kevin Hayes would cost more but is a lot younger but he might be the ideal 2C ufa center available.

Totally agree, just put JT Miller to that list also. He can handle 2C, good offensively and defensively. I will be alright to bring him back to home even if it will be for 5,5-6m. He and Wenny can fight for 2c spot and we will be allright down the middle

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Coyle, Dzingel, ROR

In that order.

WHAT ABOUT NASH!!?? What's the word on that?

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

Just chiming in because I saw this:

Seguin isn’t available and for all we know is never going to ask for a trade. His teammates and fans rallying behind him will speak louder than Lites, IMO.

That being said, I could really only see Jones for Seguin 1-for-1 being the only thing we’d consider - especially with Jones being a DFW local kid.

Our offense would be soooooo bad but our defense would be soooooo good.

Cheers

Reactions: Blueston and Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Totally agree, just put JT Miller to that list also. He can handle 2C, good offensively and defensively. I will be alright to bring him back to home even if it will be for 5,5-6m. He and Wenny can fight for 2c spot and we will be allright down the middle
I'm not sure if Miller actually is capable of playing at C at the NHL level consistently - remember, if all we think we need is an Ostensible Center Who's Been On The Wing All This Time, we've got that covered already with Jenner. And TB isn't exactly in a hurry to do a trade, so we'd be paying way too much. If we go talk to them about picking up a winger to try at C, I'd be more inclined to go after TJ; he's actually proven he can do the job we'd need him for.

My favorite target is still Stepan, mostly for plausibility reasons. I wouldn't mind Hayes either, but I suspect he's going to be a bit costly both to acquire and to retain. And if any of the older guys become available for strict futures packages, that could be interesting too.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
See above re: costly to acquire and to retain IMO.

I’d be curious to know what the Rangers would ask for. If we’d be able to pawn off Riley Nash’s contract as part of the deal, it might make Hayes’ next contract a bit more appealing to fit under our cap situation.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
If the thought is to trade Panarin and get something for him instead of going for it this year, then I started thinking about who else to trade if we are more concerned with the future than now.

The obvious person, if you believe in selling high and buying low, is Ryan Murray. He is having a really good season, D is our strength, and he is still an RFA. He should bring back a decent return.

So I would build a package around Panarin and Murray and look for picks/prospects. No playoff team looking to get better is going to give us a solid C as a return.

I am not necessarily advocating this, I just think it makes sense if you want to make sure we get something for Panarin before he walks.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Murray is definitely at a high point as far as return goes. Problem is teams don't often trade top 6 C's very often. Unless there is some issue with them - see Jackets & Joey.

And I agree playoff teams aren't trading these kind of guys at the deadline.

My pipe dream remains sending Panarin to Colorado for the Ottawa #1 pick which turns into Jack Hughes. No need for anyone to tell me Colorado won't do it. I realize that.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
If the thought is to trade Panarin and get something for him instead of going for it this year, then I started thinking about who else to trade if we are more concerned with the future than now.

The obvious person, if you believe in selling high and buying low, is Ryan Murray. He is having a really good season, D is our strength, and he is still an RFA. He should bring back a decent return.

So I would build a package around Panarin and Murray and look for picks/prospects. No playoff team looking to get better is going to give us a solid C as a return.

I am not necessarily advocating this, I just think it makes sense if you want to make sure we get something for Panarin before he walks.

I get it, you’re not advocating this but..

I’m guessing you haven’t looked at the standings since 2015? we’ve been in the top 3 in the metro pretty much the entire year. sure, we aren’t an elite team that probably won’t make a deep run in the playoffs but, we are in playoff contention.. that’s for damn sure, and should be til playoffs come.

If you trade our leading point scorer and arguably our second best defenseman (judging by play this year), we easily go from playoff contention to fringe playoff team AT BEST.. and that’s putting it nicely.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
What would you offer for this Western Conference player?

upload_2019-1-5_10-33-22.jpeg

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Could it b said that Jarmo effectively traded Calvert for Nash?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You don’t love Matt if you think his role was “random passable fourth line player.”

I do love Matt, and I don't think Markus Hannikainen is some run of the mill passable 4th line player (that would be Sedlak). He doesn't bring the physical element Calvert did or as good of a scoring touch, but he is the same sort of energy driving player.

Calvert is a better player. But he also makes more. The role he filled here is already taken.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I do love Matt, and I don't think Markus Hannikainen is some run of the mill passable 4th line player (that would be Sedlak). He doesn't bring the physical element Calvert did or as good of a scoring touch, but he is the same sort of energy driving player.

Calvert is a better player. But he also makes more. The role he filled here is already taken.

Mostly I’m just giving you shit on a Saturday... but you acknowledge Calvert is better at two things and then mention Hannikainen does a thing and that’s the thing Calvert does best.

Calvert was the on-ice heart of the Blue Jackets. I miss him and it’s itrational maybe but you won’t convince me otherwise.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't think Markus Hannikainen is some run of the mill passable 4th line player (that would be Sedlak).

Here I am to completely SHUT DOWN this bogus narrative.

Dubinsky, Sedlak, Robinson, Dalpe AND Nash are more skilled and more versatile than Hannikainen. He's a decent passer in tight with the puck and a pretty smart and good forechecker who isn't afraid to be aggressive, that's it.

Don't give me this, "he's better offensively", BS. He isn't. Not any of them. Shooting, passing, puck control, skating.

I don't care about the /60 numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->