Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Werenski isn’t a game changing player? I completely disagree.
Do you remember the series against the caps , where their coach adjusted how they defended us by game 3 , brought the team defense out into our defenders face, took their time and space away? They forced our forwards to beat them. That’s how you beat the jackets . To me , you already have Jones , who is a great offensive , and all around defenseman . You have Nutivaara , that is a great offensive defenseman, Murray is a great all around defenseman . Savard is very solid ,and you have Garikov coming over , Carlsson in the minors , Kukan who is good enough to be playing, and as I mentioned , a cheap stay at home defenseman can be acquired if necessary . Tarasenko brings way more production to the team , then Werenski will

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Do you remember the series against the caps , where their coach adjusted how they defended us by game 3 , brought the team defense out into our defenders face, took their time and space away? They forced our forwards to beat them. That’s how you beat the jackets . To me , you already have Jones , who is a great offensive , and all around defenseman . You have Nutivaara , that is a great offensive defenseman, Murray is a great all around defenseman . Savard is very solid ,and you have Garikov coming over , Carlsson in the minors , Kukan who is good enough to be playing, and as I mentioned , a cheap stay at home defenseman can be acquired if necessary . Tarasenko brings way more production to the team , then Werenski will

Nutivaara is the furthest thing from a great offensive defenseman. He’s fine for his current role. And I still don’t agree with the final sentence.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

The Werenski we’re getting this year is far far far from a game changing player.

Cold, hard truth.

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.
15 shots on goal.

His stats this month (7 games).

Game changer? Yeah, no.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
The Werenski we’re getting this year is far far far from a game changing player.

Cold, hard truth.

1 goal.
0 assists.
1 point.
15 shots on goal.

His stats this month (7 games).

Game changer? Yeah, no.

100 points in 187 career games as a defenseman. Hard case of what have you done for me lately much? Pretending he’s not been a game breaker for the past two seasons is just pure ignorance of this board. It’s one thing to differ opinions, such as trading him for tarasenko, it’s another to be plain wrong.

It doesn’t take a scientist to realize he’s not playing well this year. However he did play well when Jones was out, and has struggled since. Any other fans around the league would call him a game breaker when he’s on, yet you’re implying he’s not. It’s silly and you know better.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
100 points in 187 career games as a defenseman. Hard case of what have you done for me lately much? Pretending he’s not been a game breaker for the past two seasons is just pure ignorance of this board. It’s one thing to differ opinions, such as trading him for tarasenko, it’s another to be plain wrong.

It doesn’t take a scientist to realize he’s not playing well this year. However he did play well when Jones was out, and has struggled since. Any other fans around the league would call him a game breaker when he’s on, yet you’re implying he’s not. It’s silly and you know better.
I don’t think anyone is disputing that Werenski is a great offensive defenseman . I think he could develop into a pretty special player . His defense is pretty poor right now , but should improve . I just see a highly flawed team as constructed , and Tarasenkos are rarely available . Nutivaara is a pretty darn good offensive defenseman, think he has a few less points than Werenski, but he’s mych better defensively , and with him and Jones , Murray , Savard , that’s a darn good group . There is no way Jones is moved, and I think you will see Jarmo do what Nashville did a few years ago , moving a great defenseman for a great forward

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Peeke isn’t making the big clubs next year.
Swap out Peeke with Harrington and that's probably more accurate for next year. But otherwise, it's a solid case.
You guys dont think Peeke can be readyy next year? I honestly see him doing kinda what Z did which is after the season come play for the AHL and maybe like Carlson get to play a game up here for an injury then next year prove himself in camp. His play in the prospects games and college so far has showed me a great grasp of the game and seems to have many of the major tools needed.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Adding Tarasanko doesn’t help us much if at all in keeping Panarin. By the logic of them being friends, we should sign bobrovsky to whatever he wants too. The only thing it does is give us insurance of a high skilled gamebreaking type player if he leaves. They wouldn’t be able to work together in all likelihood.

That defense would get shredded.
Not even that theybare friends but they have chemistry together and I think Bread knowing that if we have Vlad we now could have 2 lines of high scoring rather then one. I think what Bread needs to know before signing here is that we are serious and that we 100% are going to spend to try and win. His agent said it wont be about squeezing money and other places are about living there not winning there. Here its about does he likenhis coach/teammates/team and if he stays can they win. By them trying to continuously improve the team around him and make it so he isnt carrying them the pressure eases and he can enjoy it. Yes them being friends is nice but its not that simple.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don't care about Panarin. If we can get Tarasenko without essentially giving up Jones, I think we should.

He would have a strong chance of being the best player on the team on day 1.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Also it appears there are 3 sides here involving Z and I think some people arent seeing all sides. Those sides would be:
#1. Werenski is worth more to us as an offensive threat/game breaker on D then a trade for an offensive superstar.
#2 Werenski is not as good as fans think and moving him while his value is alltime high it will ever hit for offense is smart business.
#3. (And my opinion) Werenski is a stud and elite offensive D while still developing into his play in his own end. Werenski is tied with PLD for me as the #2 player on the team I wouldnt move only Jones sits higher. BUT if there is a move that can be made to bring in an elite offensive player which HELPS CONVINCE our best offensive player of all time to stay WITHOUT creating a huge hole elsewhere to make it happen by having solid D in place to replace such a player IE Peeke/Gavrikov... not considering that option is foolish. Not sayingnyou have to do it or you have to pass but you have to think about it. This could very well be our Jones/CryJo 2.0 where we have the depth to move from a strength and build a weakness (gamebreakers).

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Compared to Tarasenko? He really isn't. Great offensive defenseman but definitely a tier or two below Vlad. That's not a slight on Werenski, he's a young player and teams are figuring him out right now but he will learn to adjust as well. Different subject but it is interesting Torts won't play our game changing offensive player on the #1 PP

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I think we could move Z for Tarasenko and it would be a good move.

Now what can we do to upgrade from and get rid of Wennberg?

Of course trading two of his "prime joy in life" first round picks may be a bit tough on Jarmo.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The reason I mentioned the 2RW are guys that if brought in actually makes keeping bread a higher likelyhood.

You have no idea what Panarin's motivations are. Secondly if you have to spend 10M a year on another player (or another big dollar contract) and trade a bunch of assets to get said player just to keep another player, it's usually not worth it.

We had someone claim it was desperation from the Edmonton FO to bring in Hitch, what you describe would actually be desperation.

There is some really odd roster and cap management discussion going on. Cheers.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Tarasenko is certainly a big time scorer. With 4 years (plus this one) at $7.5M AAV, he's locked up at a good value, not extending beyond his prime.

On the flip side, I have no idea how one can leap to the position Vlad being here will prompt Bread to sign. Heck I don't even know if we might not end up with another unhappy Russian player rather than two happy ones.

If I were certain he'd embrace Columbus, I'd make the trade straight up. But it'd be a huge trade that has risk. In the end, what we may have here is a proposed trade not dissimilar from the Jones-Johansen trade. thus it's hard to fault those who argue for keeping Zach.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It depresses me that that long post that I put a lot of effort into evaluating this very thing has apparently gone unnoticed.

Tl;DR :naughty:

Actually I did read it and thought it was fairly spot on.

I would be in favor of pursuing ROR if the Blues are blowing it up.
Stepan could be a useful add.
Duchene anothe rtarget.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We as fans do overvalue our players. However, we as fans also are quick to give up on young players and throw them out for a shiny new toy. This is whats happening in the case of Werenski.

Getting Tarasenko doesn't help us keep Panarin. Again, by that logic we need to keep Bobrovsky too.
I don't know how close they are, but IF the rumors are true, when Panarin was about to join the NHL Tarasenko went to STL management and told them to sign him. And I fully believe Tarasenko is on Panarins level talent wise. Which imo is worth just about anyone other Jones.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I don't know how close they are, but IF the rumors are true, when Panarin was about to join the NHL Tarasenko went to STL management and told them to sign him. And I fully believe Tarasenko is on Panarins level talent wise. Which imo is worth just about anyone other Jones.

Yes, they are close. However, nobody knows if Panarin would have considered St Louis. He was down to Montreal or Chicago. To my recollection, the Blues never approached him, and if they did it appears Tarasenko wasn’t enough of a draw to get him to St. Louis, thus proving in my mind that getting him has no impact on Panarin staying or going.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Viqsi, I started reading this thread from page 3. Did not look at first two pages. After seeing your note, I went adn read your post on page 1. You really did do a very thorough and interesting job looking at all trade options. Thanks for spending the time to compile everything the way you did.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Yes, they are close. However, nobody knows if Panarin would have considered St Louis. He was down to Montreal or Chicago. To my recollection, the Blues never approached him, and if they did it appears Tarasenko wasn’t enough of a draw to get him to St. Louis, thus proving in my mind that getting him has no impact on Panarin staying or going.

Meh. Panarin is a bad justification either way if you ask me (doing the trade vs not doing the trade). If the trade makes the team better you do it.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I would be curious about exploring a trade around Z for Tarasenko. If it helps keep Panarin, awesome. But if Panarin leaves anyway, then we still have a premier forward. I believe Gavrikov can step in and be a difference maker defensively and with the potential cap left if Bob doesn't sign then we can use some on a reliable 5/6 defenseman if we really need to.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Coyle
Dzingel
Anisimov
Compher
Duchene
Prout
Tarasenko
O'Reilly

Obviously all different levels of player, position, contract status, trade value/price and most importantly, availability.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
LOL couldn't help yourself?

What about a stay at home bottom pair RHD? I think Gudas would be perfect here... man teams would hate us.

I would like a "mean" guy back there. My reason for always wanting Prout around, whether he's a 6-7, or 8-9. Gudas, and many "stay at home" guys are more "tough" than "mean".

Really though, what's the timeframe we are looking at for Gavrikov? If his team is out, he's coming for the playoffs. It wont be a Carlsson situation, we more than likely WILL have to "make room" for him. Even without him, we also seem to be fine when talking about #5-6 type guys. I still think Clendening deserves a longer look.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad