Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Count me out for Kane. I just think he might not like being in Columbus and it could turn into another Carter situation. That's just a feeling though.

I much rather go after Tarasenko. Maybe something around Wennberg Werenski 1st + for Tarasenko and Schenn.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Count me out for Kane. I just think he might not like being in Columbus and it could turn into another Carter situation. That's just a feeling though.

I much rather go after Tarasenko. Maybe something around Wennberg Werenski 1st + for Tarasenko and Schenn.
He has a NTC the only way he comes here is if he wanted too.

And a STL fan offered Milano-Z-cond2nd for Tarasenko and Schmaltz so thats closer then the Schenn offer I think fairness wise.

Reactions: CBJFan827

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn

Wennberg wouldn’t work as the 2C for the Blues. He’d be ok as a 3C but Bozak already fills that role. I’d agree value wise a deal structured around Tarasenko for Werenski has some merit but adding Schenn more than complicates the top 6 for the Blues.

This year has been crazy for the Blues and nobody knows what Armstrong is going to do. Armstrong gave up quite a bit to get Schenn so it only makes sense he’ll try to resign him.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I do not think it is worth it to trade for Tarasenko, especially if it means giving away a top4 u21 d-man.

Oh, trust me.. it is.

I would literally drool a puddle from downtown Columbus to Hilliard if we acquired Vlad.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
He has a NTC the only way he comes here is if he wanted too.

And a STL fan offered Milano-Z-cond2nd for Tarasenko and Schmaltz so thats closer then the Schenn offer I think fairness wise.

Yea I would be very surprised if Kane waved to come here. He signed that contract to stay in Chicago.

Wennberg wouldn’t work as the 2C for the Blues. He’d be ok as a 3C but Bozak already fills that role. I’d agree value wise a deal structured around Tarasenko for Werenski has some merit but adding Schenn more than complicates the top 6 for the Blues.

This year has been crazy for the Blues and nobody knows what Armstrong is going to do. Armstrong gave up quite a bit to get Schenn so it only makes sense he’ll try to resign him.
Yea I realize that Schenn for Wennberg part is kind of a downgrade for STL. I was thinking adding Bjorkstrand too but not even sure that would be worth it. A deal around Werenski for Tarasenko seems to be the best offer on the table from what I have seen.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I would be interested in bundling about any of our forwards for an upgrade. We are frequently seeing Duclair, Bjorkstrand, Milano on the bench. I think the D is riding a fine line right now and we aren’t in a position to move any of the NHL roster D until reinforcements come. (Gavrikov arrives, Carlsson develops, minor veteran deadline acquisition)

Keep: Panarin, Dubois

Untradeable: Atkinson, Foligno, Dubinsky

Trade Chips (Roster/NHL Ready): Anderson, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, Jenner, Duclair, Milano, Nash, Hannikainen, Sedlak

Trade Chips (Futures): Any picks, Any prospects (Stenlund, Abramov, Foudy, Marchenko, the goalies...)

I tend to think any of those trade chips are on the board if you’re talking about a Tarasenko type. If you’re talking about an upgrade at center, then Wennberg is on the table (but Jenner’s resurgence, Foligno’s versatility, and other factors seem to make Wennberg more expendable if you’re acquiring another superstar).

Reactions: thebus88

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
@Viqsi don't you ruin my hopes and dreams
Look, I know it's hard when someone you've admired from afar for so long does this, but you've got to face it, for your own good. He doesn't care about you. He never did. He threw you aside for the next hot little thing as soon as he got the chance, and you don't deserve to be treated that way. You need to go out and find yourself a better man; one who'll appreciate you for you. :nod:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Count me out on Tarasenko. Wouldn't make sense, and not worth Werenski.

However, if STL is truly blowing it up. I'd talk to them about RoR.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014

We had our shot for ROR when Buf was moving him I dont see any chance ROR leaving STL. They love him in the room and he has been great.

Why would you say Vlad doesnt make sense though? If trading for him means Bread stays wouldnt you want something like a top line of Tank/PLD/Bread then a 2nd of Andy/Wenny/Cam? Then a D of Jones, Murray, Gavrikov, Nuti, Peeke, and Savard. Thats solid balance.

Reactions: Palm Tree

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We had our shot for ROR when Buf was moving him I dont see any chance ROR leaving STL. They love him in the room and he has been great.

Why would you say Vlad doesnt make sense though? If trading for him means Bread stays wouldnt you want something like a top line of Tank/PLD/Bread then a 2nd of Andy/Wenny/Cam? Then a D of Jones, Murray, Gavrikov, Nuti, Peeke, and Savard. Thats solid balance.
Swap out Peeke with Harrington and that's probably more accurate for next year. But otherwise, it's a solid case.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Adding Tarasanko doesn’t help us much if at all in keeping Panarin. By the logic of them being friends, we should sign bobrovsky to whatever he wants too. The only thing it does is give us insurance of a high skilled gamebreaking type player if he leaves. They wouldn’t be able to work together in all likelihood.

That defense would get shredded.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

I think sometimes we severely overvalue our players . Tarasenko is an Elite forward. He’s better than Panarin. A player that flirts with 40g nearly every season. By acquiring him, you more than likely keep Bread here . No team in recent history , has won the cup, without atleast 2 elite offensive players . At some point this team will be forced to move defense , to acquire an elite offensive talent , especially if Bread leaves . Most likely , that player is Werenski, as he will move the needle with a lot of teams . So if we package Werenski plus some other assets, and you land Tarasenko. You make that move all day long .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Adding Tarasanko doesn’t help us much if at all in keeping Panarin. By the logic of them being friends, we should sign bobrovsky to whatever he wants too. The only thing it does is give us insurance of a high skilled gamebreaking type player if he leaves. They wouldn’t be able to work together in all likelihood.

Let’s be real, Werenski is valuable because of the offensive skill he brings , a run of the mill , stay at home defenseman would be an upgrade on the defensive side of things over Werenski. And we already have Jones , Nutivaara , Murray, Savard , that all provide offense , and are great at transitioning the puck. Plus , you don’t have to play as much , safe is death , if you have Panarin, Tarasenko, and Atkinson , scoring goals

Reactions: thebus88

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I don't think this defense would get shredded:
Murray - Jones
Nutivaara - Savard
Harrington - Kukan/Carlsson/Gavrikov/Peeke

They can always go out and get a veteran bottom pairing guy. But that defense is average or above average. And it is young. The only way it would suck is if they got decimated with injuries or Bob were replaced with Steve Mason 2.0.

I'm not saying the team absolutely should trade Werenski, but they're at the point where they could if they felt it would solve a major issue for the team.

According to Jarmo, having Ryan Murray was a luxury. Now that he is on the top pairing instead of Werenski, perhaps Werenski is the luxury.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I think sometimes we severely overvalue our players . Tarasenko is an Elite forward. He’s better than Panarin. A player that flirts with 40g nearly every season. By acquiring him, you more than likely keep Bread here . No team in recent history , has won the cup, without atleast 2 elite offensive players . At some point this team will be forced to move defense , to acquire an elite offensive talent , especially if Bread leaves . Most likely , that player is Werenski, as he will move the needle with a lot of teams . So if we package Werenski plus some other assets, and you land Tarasenko. You make that move all day long .

We as fans do overvalue our players. However, we as fans also are quick to give up on young players and throw them out for a shiny new toy. This is whats happening in the case of Werenski.

Getting Tarasenko doesn't help us keep Panarin. Again, by that logic we need to keep Bobrovsky too.

And I don't make that move. People think this roster is good enough to win this year, and I disagree 100%. Keep Werenski, and build from the back end like the original plan was.

Let’s be real, Werenski is valuable because of the offensive skill he brings , a run of the mill , stay at home defenseman would be an upgrade on the defensive side of things over Werenski. And we already have Jones , Nutivaara , Murray, Savard , that all provide offense , and are great at transitioning the puck. Plus , you don’t have to play as much , safe is death , if you have Panarin, Tarasenko, and Atkinson , scoring goals

Werenski's first two seasons are up there for one of the best ever for a defenseman. Especially in the modern day. Nobody bitched about Werenski's defense aside from this year, and coincidentally this is his only year struggling. No, he was never elite or great defensively either, but he held his own. He's not doing that right now. But it's not time to abandon ship.

Murray, Nutivaara, and Savard don't provide any offense. The first two are good at passing the puck up the ice. They don't score much, and they certainly aren't providing near the offense Werenski has. With his struggles, the door has been open for people to take his powerplay minutes or provide offense in 5on5, and yet nobody has.

I don't think this defense would get shredded:
Murray - Jones
Nutivaara - Savard
Harrington - Kukan/Carlsson/Gavrikov/Peeke

They can always go out and get a veteran bottom pairing guy. But that defense is average or above average. And it is young. The only way it would suck is if they got decimated with injuries or Bob were replaced with Steve Mason 2.0.

I'm not saying the team absolutely should trade Werenski, but they're at the point where they could if they felt it would solve a major issue for the team.

According to Jarmo, having Ryan Murray was a luxury. Now that he is on the top pairing instead of Werenski, perhaps Werenski is the luxury.

Nutivaara played a season low last game. Harrington routinely gets benched, and he beat out all those guys (aside from Gavrikov and Peeke, who aren't here). Both of the prospects mentioned aren't offensive, and Peeke will need seasoning. So, you're running with two pairs that belong in the NHL, will only play two if trialing or in a tight game, and neither guys on the third pairing would play much special teams, if at all. That's relying way too much on your top 4, and a recipe for disaster if injuries hit. That's what we're dealing with now WITH Werenski, subtracting him only magnifies the issue.

It blows my mind that people think trading Werenski for offense makes us better. Offense hasn't been an issue, and although Tarasenko is a very good player, he's not worth subtracting a current top pairing defenseman (aside from this year.)

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Bottom Line: The NHL, especially in the playoffs, is about game changing players. Tarasenko gives us two. Werenski is expandable for a player like Tarasenko.

Werenski isn’t a game changing player? I completely disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad