Trade Ideas Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If we obtain the genuine 2C scoring center, liek Duchene,there is no need to replace Wennberg.
True; I don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.

That is what scares me about Jarmo even considering Brassard: Jarmo is actually considering Brassard to be a scoring line center.
...or he thinks Brass can contribute in other ways without necessarily being a #2C in his own right. (A #1C-#3C-#3C-#3C arrangement, for example, could help make up for the lack of #2C scoring by spreading things out and making it easier to roll four lines. It wouldn't be my favorite choice, but sometimes you have to choose between Bad and Worse.)

That said, I'm not exactly enthused by the prospect of a Brass return myself.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Before anyone starts thinking Brassard is worth a lot. He is on an expiring contract. He shouldn’t be an expensive rental at his production. I’d think on par with a Vanek type deal.

Reactions: CPTN71

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Before anyone starts thinking Brassard is worth a lot. He is on an expiring contract. He shouldn’t be an expensive rental at his production. I’d think on par with a Vanek type deal.
Ideally, yes. In practice, Pittsburgh seems to be asking quite a bit more than that, and I'd rather not pay that much more. If we can get him for something like what we paid for Vanek, I'm all for it; I just suspect we wouldn't get off that easily.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I don't want Brassard simply because he just does not really improve the team over Wennberg. We need a second scoring center in order to be a genuine Cup Contender. Period. Rather than his cutesy dabbling like he did last year and which resulted in another first round elimination, it is time for Jarmo to get down to business and do his job: get the center we really need to be Cup Contenders.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Heck cut a deal with St.Louis for one of their 2 offensively gifted centers. There are moves out there to be made which could really upgrade the team.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Ideally, yes. In practice, Pittsburgh seems to be asking quite a bit more than that, and I'd rather not pay that much more. If we can get him for something like what we paid for Vanek, I'm all for it; I just suspect we wouldn't get off that easily.
That’s why it would come down to a deadline day deal unless someone is willing to pay more.

How many expiring contracts get moved now versus deadline day? I don’t think it is very many off the top of my head. The CBJ wouldn’t get off that easy because we are in the same division so I doubt he comes here unless Pittsburgh gets desperate to move him to free up space for someone else.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Heck cut a deal with St.Louis for one of their 2 offensively gifted centers. There are moves out there to be made which could really upgrade the team.
Upgrade the position, sure. Upgrading the team, however, is dependent on what we'd be spending... and the St. Louis example is a problematic one because suddenly a wild card is within their reach again.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Understood V. It was just another suggestion.

And a good one.

I've said before that the GM should always be investigating all options and kicking every tire. If you just assume the price for someone is too high, you might never find out it wasn't. I understand not wanting to get a rep for being unreasonable, but I'd think it could be done in a professional way.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
So, are we going to bring Vanek back? Detroit is about to start selling.
Believe they gave him a NTC this time around..

Edit: upon checking.. yes, he's got a full NTC with the contract the signed over the summer. Obviously he could wave but.. doubt he's about to do any favors after getting dealt so many times.

Detroit Red Wings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
2018-19NTC$3,000,000$3,000,000$0$0$3,000,000$3,000,000$3,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
So, are we going to bring Vanek back? Detroit is about to start selling.

I heard Vanek told the Wings that he was tired of the deadline stresses and didn't want to be moved this year as he has seemingly for the past 5-6 years.

That's OK with me as a 2C should be the priority over a winger anyways.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Understood V. It was just another suggestion.
I get that, and I've poked at it myself. I just have this fear that they're going to ask for the moon and the stars now.

But I'm not the one who should be making those phone calls, so. :dunno: ;) I just worry about folks taking it out on Jarmo if the prices do end up being absurd. (There's reports that this is a buyer's market, but I wonder to what degree that extends to what we're trying to buy. A good #2C is a pretty notably valuable piece, after all.)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
In regards to Brassard, Pens fans are saying that while he hasn't been good in a defensive role as 3C, he has been good when he plays on the top line at LW or centering the second line.

I like the trades proposed by @PanarinDangles9, but I would simply try hard to get Duchene, and if we land him shift focus to a top 6 winger. If we can't land Duchene, then Brassard is the backup plan.

However, it seems as if Brass will be traded sooner than the TDL. Maybe make the move for him and then if you get Duchene then just move one to wing.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Since Colorado got their King's Ransom last year, Duchene should be more reasonably priced this year.

The only thing left to make this 1 colossal cluster from Ottawa's POV would be for them to have the front row seat (worst record) at the draft and Colorado step to the mic and select Jack Hughes.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Holy **** me. If that Nino trade is any indication of Fenton's state of mind, Kekalainen should absolutely be spending lots of time on the phone to Minnesota.

Right? I realize Nino hasn't been the same Nino the past 1.5 seasons but I still think he's easily the better player.... and will rebound in due time.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I like Victor Rask. Not as "flashy" as Nino, but could be seen as the better overall player.

That said, I also still like Charlie Coyle.

Jarmo, do something.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I like Victor Rask. Not as "flashy" as Nino, but could be seen as the better overall player.

That said, I also still like Charlie Coyle.

Jarmo, do something.
I liked Rask. His production, however, has flatlined even more than Wennberg's - hell, it's almost as bad as that of Riley Nash, and Nash is paid at just over half the rate as Rask. Nino's down year, by contrast, at least still has him scoring half a point per game. Really big disparity there.

Incidentally, Coyle's another player having a down year yet still producing at about half a point per game. Hmmm.

Reactions: CPTN71

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I liked Rask. His production, however, has flatlined even more than Wennberg's - hell, it's almost as bad as that of Riley Nash, and Nash is paid at just over half the rate as Rask. Nino's down year, by contrast, at least still has him scoring half a point per game. Really big disparity there.

Incidentally, Coyle's another player having a down year yet still producing at about half a point per game. Hmmm.

And Wild fans have liked Coyle's play at center recently. Or so the boards have said. ;)

Hard to gauge what the Wild would want in return for him though.. hopefully as low as Rask's value? Which is maybe Riley Nash? hahahaha

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Rask is also coming back from hand surgery. And there's more to hockey than points. Not to mention, he's a center that's PROVEN he can put up nearly as many points as Nino.

I can like Rask and you can like Nino, right?

There surely isn't a really big disparity in the quality of hockey player they are.

Coyle for Wennberg +

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rask is also coming back from hand surgery. And there's more to hockey than points. Not to mention, he's a center that's PROVEN he can put up nearly as many points as Nino.

I can like Rask and you can like Nino, right?

There surely isn't a really big disparity in the quality of hockey player they are.
Enh. I guess you just have more faith in Rask's chances of rebounding than I do. Which is fine; reasonable folks can agree to disagree on that sort of thing. It's kind of like how I've long had more faith in Wennberg rebounding than you have. ;)

Coyle for Wennberg +
I've hesitated on this suggestion previously, but Jenner's been consistently effective enough as a fill-in #2C that I've almost convinced myself this is worth the risk. Almost. :)

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Keep circling that if (IF) things go south next week with the Millstein meeting, something around:

Bob - Bread

For

Huberdeau - Trochek - Lou - picks

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Keep circling that if (IF) things go south next week with the Millstein meeting, something around:

Bob - Bread

For

Huberdeau - Trochek - Lou - picks

IIRC you have (some?) intel on the organization (if I’m wrong, sorry). If so, are you optimistic in the meeting going well/him re-signing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->