Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I'm not sold on Nylander. He's got something the Wild need but he's definitely not worth both Spurgeon and Nino (even with Liljegren coming our way). I truly believe Spurgeon is a really important piece to this team. Ofcourse we're talking if Liljegren can keep the puck in the O-zone on the PP. :sarcasm:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Wow, so the cap isn't a thing anymore? :facepalm:
You think that the Wild don't have to deal with the same cap? A contract like Horton's isn't something that just gets thrown into a deal at zero cost to the Leafs.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm not sold on Nylander. He's got something the Wild need but he's definitely not worth both Spurgeon and Nino (even with Liljegren coming our way). I truly believe Spurgeon is a really important piece to this team. Ofcourse we're talking if Liljegren can keep the puck in the O-zone on the PP. :sarcasm:
I'm skeptical as well, but 2Pair's description of Nylander as a right-shot-Granlund jives pretty well with my limited viewings of him. Nylander seems to have the better shot and less tenacity, but other than that it's pretty close and he's got lots of time to grow. It's hard to deny that Granlund's skill set is what this team needs more of.

I don't have a problem giving up Spurgeon+ except that doing so doesn't leave us with much ammunition to land a center if that opportunity presents itself. But once you add in the fact that Nylander has a credible shot at playing center... I dunno, you can't let the Perfect be the enemy of the Good.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You think that the Wild don't have to deal with the same cap? A contract like Horton's isn't something that just gets thrown into a deal at zero cost to the Leafs.

I never said 0 cost, I didn't put a price on what it would cost in trade. I just said to make the cap work that's what it would take, the same with retaining on either Spurgeon or Nino. The Leafs can only take on ~$7m in contracts, not the full ~$10.4m of Spurgeon+Nino.

Goose312

May 15, 2015
I'm skeptical as well, but 2Pair's description of Nylander as a right-shot-Granlund jives pretty well with my limited viewings of him. Nylander seems to have the better shot and less tenacity, but other than that it's pretty close and he's got lots of time to grow. It's hard to deny that Granlund's skill set is what this team needs more of.

I don't have a problem giving up Spurgeon+ except that doing so doesn't leave us with much ammunition to land a center if that opportunity presents itself. But once you add in the fact that Nylander has a credible shot at playing center... I dunno, you can't let the Perfect be the enemy of the Good.
I'm really not sold on him coming to the Wild. I don't really agree that he's at Granlund's level because whenever I've watched him he has undeniable talent, but he never strikes me as the driver of his line like Granlund can be. He's always the guy you have to remember is also on the ice with Matthews and he has struggled to ever find success away from Matthews.

Spurgeon+ makes sense, but assuming Nylander's traded because Toronto can't sign him to a reasonable deal I'm not tossing in another top 6 capable player to then have to overpay Nylander. Not to mention if Spurgeon is asked for his no trade list and he doesn't want to leave he's probably smart enough to know to put Toronto on the list.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm really not sold on him coming to the Wild. I don't really agree that he's at Granlund's level because whenever I've watched him he has undeniable talent, but he never strikes me as the driver of his line like Granlund can be. He's always the guy you have to remember is also on the ice with Matthews and he has struggled to ever find success away from Matthews.

Spurgeon+ makes sense, but assuming Nylander's traded because Toronto can't sign him to a reasonable deal I'm not tossing in another top 6 capable player to then have to overpay Nylander. Not to mention if Spurgeon is asked for his no trade list and he doesn't want to leave he's probably smart enough to know to put Toronto on the list.
This is my main worry with him. How do you separate him from Matthews when he hasn't really played away from Matthews? The same Matthews that's got Kapanen over a ppg so far this year.

As to Spurgeon's no-trade list: I might be wrong, but if he was asked for it last spring that list is still in effect until next offseason. Not that that precludes Toronto being on it, but it seems unlikely.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
This is my main worry with him. How do you separate him from Matthews when he hasn't really played away from Matthews? The same Matthews that's got Kapanen over a ppg so far this year.

As to Spurgeon's no-trade list: I might be wrong, but if he was asked for it last spring that list is still in effect until next offseason. Not that that precludes Toronto being on it, but it seems unlikely.

If Mikael Granlund played next to Matthews he would be worth ... 9 million???

This is a classic case of people buying Toronto hype on a player - including his own camp. And that was the dumbest piece I've read on the Athletic in two years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Spurgeon is going to be traded, there are worse places for him to go than to a Cup contender with elite talent who is begging for a RHD, let alone in a legendary hockey town and organization like Toronto. For a Canadian, that's about the top of the mountain. If they won a cup there he would be a God, or at least demi-God.

Toronto is not a dysfunctional organization any more, and Toronto is a city that many pro players enjoy overall.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

You can’t, but that’s the risk you take. Sort of same risk that Toronto would be taking that Spurgeon would be as good next to Reilly instead of Suter.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

This is a classic case of people buying Toronto hype on a player - including his own camp. And that was the dumbest piece I've read on the Athletic in two years.
I have to assume that the rumors of him demanding $8m and not budging is another result of media needing to provide information without really having access to it. My guess has been that he's more concerned about getting traded once he inks a deal. Frankly he's probably right about that, but such is the life of an RFA.

If someone actually pays him north of $7m then yeah, dumb move.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland

This is it exactly. If we only accept a trade for a perfect young superstar, we'll be waiting for it still in 2030.

He's played two full seasons and got 60 points in both of them. That's much better than Granlund was doing at his age. He's only 22, he has very realistic room to grow into a 70- or 80-point forward. That's a big piece for any team.

I agree that playing with Matthews can inflate your point totals so that's the big question mark. But like mentioned in the article, he won the MVP honours in the World Championships 2017 and scored seven goals, all without Matthews. I don't think we can say he can't drive a line, just because he plays with a great line-driver in Matthews. It can also cloak his potential as there's only one puck.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I thought it made some sense, and at the very least, made me think a little bit.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
I have to assume that the rumors of him demanding $8m and not budging is another result of media needing to provide information without really having access to it. My guess has been that he's more concerned about getting traded once he inks a deal. Frankly he's probably right about that, but such is the life of an RFA.

If someone actually pays him north of $7m then yeah, dumb move.

Agreed. So far all we've heard are rumours and it's obvious that Toronto has an interest to really squeeze the money on this one, as they're about to be in all kinds of cap hell with their young stars needing big contracts.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Granlund was playing a very different position at that age. Apples to oranges comparison.
You think playing a 20-22 year-old Granlund on the wing next to Nathan MacKinnon (or whoever) instead of at center between Parise/Pominville/Setoguchi/Nino/whoever may have affected his production? Surely not.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Nylander is better than Granlund was at the same age. Nylander is not a super-star, but he is a notch above Granlund.

I agree with this. Even so this reminds me of the Drouin conversations when he was on the block. Glad the Wild never traded for him either. Skill is only part of the story.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I thought it made some sense, and at the very least, made me think a little bit.

well, it sparked a lot of comments, so it was effective. Just find it insufficiently skeptical of Nylander's real talent level, among other things, and it does a disservice to Spurgeon, Dumba, Nino and Paul Fenton. I do sympathize with those looking for a big trade, but this is not the player I'd target, definitely not at a cost of one those guys I mentioned.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
well, it sparked a lot of comments, so it was effective. Just find it insufficiently skeptical of Nylander's real talent level, among other things, and it does a disservice to Spurgeon, Dumba, Nino and Paul Fenton. I do sympathize with those looking for a big trade, but this is not the player I'd target, definitely not at a cost of one those guys I mentioned.

I don't know if it's a disservice to Nino yet. His 57 point season is the outlier at the moment.

Reactions: Rabid Husky

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Seems like the Panarin-rumours we had a couple of months ago has cooled down.

Would really like a gamechanger like that on our team, but what would he cost us?

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Bargain.

Sold.
Now how do we get $10m in cap space? Next year we have $10.8m in cap space while needing to re-sign or replace Staal, three 4th liners, one bottom pairing dman, and a backup goalie. That takes us to 22/23 spots filled on the roster.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
Now how do we get $10m in cap space? Next year we have $10.8m in cap space while needing to re-sign or replace Staal, three 4th liners, one bottom pairing dman, and a backup goalie. That takes us to 22/23 spots filled on the roster.

Shedding Nino's $5.25M would be a start but your sentiment remains true.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Shedding Nino's $5.25M would be a start but your sentiment remains true.
I just don’t think Nino is a long term problem. It’s too bad Koivu’s deal expires the summer after. Maybe Spurgeon? He’s approaching 30. Might be time to see what Belpedio has?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->