Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Not sure if Tyler Johnson is the guy you want use as a positive comparison, considering he had 1 good year, 1 great year, and is now producing at less than half the rate he did last season, he's now at about the same rate as Jared Spurgeon this season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not sure if Tyler Johnson is the guy you want use as a positive comparison, considering he had 1 good year, 1 great year, and is now producing at less than half the rate he did last season, he's now at about the same rate as Jared Spurgeon this season.

50 points(1st year), 72 points in 77 games in 2nd year and he's been playing through injuries this year/been injured.
He may be healthy now for the 1st time this season, that's extremely difficult to use against Spooner.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Yeah Spooner is definitely a real deal, and I have to think the only reasons you guys are so gung-ho about getting RNH over him is because of the draft pedigree. Spooner's also faster than RNH and a better PP player, which is never a bad thing.

Not to mention you guys are also down for the cause of trading Dumba for Drouin, which is another trade where we acquire unproven risk.

Not sure why you guys are so against it when we get a C of the same ilk as RNH AND a 1st rounder on top of it.

I can't deny I've been gung-ho about RNH and Drouin, but the idea that Spooner is available trumps those two instantly. Spooner is signed on at a miniscule amount for this season and next. If Fletcher pulls this trade, I'd hope he'd look to extend him immediately at rate comparable to Brodin's contract.

Flax0

Aug 26, 2015
MN
I would rather take Spooner over Drouin. We dont need to take in the risk that is Drouin. Spooner is more proven offensively, but it is just this one season. There could also be risk around him. idk but I would go

RNH>Spooner>Drouin

I just feel that Drouin is to much of a risk, but he could turn out to be a pretty solid forward, or a bust. who knows

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I would rather take Spooner over Drouin. We dont need to take in the risk that is Drouin. Spooner is more proven offensively, but it is just this one season. There could also be risk around him. idk but I would go

RNH>Spooner>Drouin

I just feel that Drouin is to much of a risk, but he could turn out to be a pretty solid forward, or a bust. who knows

I have Spooner as the top target of the three. Sure RNH has more NHL experience, but Spooner will score more points this season than RNH ever has in a season, gets paid $5mil less and has just as solid of a two way game. IMO the only thing RNH has over Spooner is that he's played in the West and is slightly bigger. I honestly never envisioned Spooner as an available trade target but I'd very easily deal Brodin for Spooner+1st before I dealt Brodin for RNH or Dumba for Drouin.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

RNH>Spooner>Drouin

Like wrote before Spooner has been NHL regular since the last february and has constantly improved his game, overall game, and should expect that to continue as he is just in his 1st full NHL season and hasn't been playing top minutes with top players.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
#InBeforeCloseHammer

I'd go after Spooner myself. Seems to have the least needed assets in a trade and similar skillset.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
Drouin may be risky, but this team need a forward who can demolish the opposition like Kane does. If Drouin can become half the player Kane is im all over it.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I have Spooner as the top target of the three. Sure RNH has more NHL experience, but Spooner will score more points this season than RNH ever has in a season, gets paid $5mil less and has just as solid of a two way game. IMO the only thing RNH has over Spooner is that he's played in the West and is slightly bigger. I honestly never envisioned Spooner as an available trade target but I'd very easily deal Brodin for Spooner+1st before I dealt Brodin for RNH or Dumba for Drouin.

Not sure why the Bruins would trade Spooner right now.. maybe for Tuch or similar overpay? Spooner is a nice player producing well on a cheap contract, why would the Bruins trade him?

RNH is 15 months younger than Spooner, had 52 points in the NHL while Spooner was still in juniors (maybe Spooner gets to that total this season) and plays as a first-line center, not with Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask backing him up, but with Eric Gryba and Anders Nilsson. Their values are absolutely in no way comparable.

RNH is a potentially elite center who will not be traded until McDavid and Draisaitl are ready to be one-two like Bergeron and Krejci were once. Todd McLellan has compared him to Joe Pavelski and deploys him against other teams' best players... his contract is cheap and he is an improving player. Please stop pretending the Wild have any chance of acquiring him.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not sure why the Bruins would trade Spooner right now.. maybe for Tuch or similar overpay? Spooner is a nice player producing well on a cheap contract, why would the Bruins trade him?

RNH is 15 months younger than Spooner, had 52 points in the NHL while Spooner was still in juniors (maybe Spooner gets to that total this season) and plays as a first-line center, not with Zdeno Chara and Tuukka Rask backing him up, but with Eric Gryba and Anders Nilsson. Their values are absolutely in no way comparable.

RNH is a potentially elite center who will not be traded until McDavid and Draisaitl are ready to be one-two like Bergeron and Krejci were once. Todd McLellan has compared him to Joe Pavelski and deploys him against other teams' best players... his contract is cheap and he is an improving player. Please stop pretending the Wild have any chance of acquiring him.

I explained it a bit ago here, the only trade he could get traded, a young top3D.

When Chia left we had no prospects, nothing, and last offseason Sweeney drafted Carlo-Lauzon-Zboril, all have very high potential, Carlo was said to be the best defensive D from the draft and had a great tourney in Helsinki, Lauzon is +ppg and almost made team Canada already, but the problem is that they are all 18y and Chara turns 39y soon, we don't have top3D's outside of Chara and won't have for some time if we don't trade for one.
Chara's minutes has to be limited, it's a must and Bergeron and Krejci are still in their prime, also that's why Spooner would/could be available, Krejci and Bergeron both are locked to longterm deals and are our top6C duo, still one of the best in the league.

So it would balance the lineup and give us someone who can limit Chara's minutes and replace prime Seidenberg, Krug and Colin are offensive D-players so Brodin would be a great fit and target, close to perfect.

You are also selling Spooner low, his linemates are worse than RNH's, play less minutes than RNH and the top9 in Boston was Krejci-Bergeron-Soderberg and the team was after the Cup, there's no way they just ship Soda out and tests Spooner there at that time, he was kept in the AHL developing and can see from the previous page his NHL stats and it's more than just this season.

I'd also say again that when RNH gets traded a right hand shot is the main goal and proven #1C's are very hard to acquire.

Last edited:

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
My thoughts exactly, Bruins are in no rush to trade a guy who is getting paid pennies to what he is bringing.

They might be more apt to make a move for Krejci in the off season given his age and contract, but there is no way Bruins are trading a young productive player when they are trying to make the playoffs.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010

I'm not sure if your intent was to troll here but you did a masterful job. I don't even know where to begin to debate your points because I 100% disagree with every single one.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

Agreed 95%. The 5% being the last sentence. We might just have the right pieces at the right time.

We were after Johansen and RNH is not only a better player but a much better fit.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Agreed 95%. The 5% being the last sentence. We might just have the right pieces at the right time.

We were after Johansen and RNH is not only a better player but a much better fit.
Oilers offered RNH for Jones.

Wild offered Brodin+Haula for Johansen.

Both were just turned down. But that suggests Brodin+Haula is very close in value to RNH

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Pavelski is a good comparison for RNH. Except you get him almost a decade younger. I don't know how anybody is saying that he wouldn't help the Wild. Including Russo.

I also kind of rather throw caution to the Wild and do Dumba for Droiun as well. Just to have a Wild team that is different than what we have had in the past.

Prosser, Reilly, Folin, Olofsson, and swapping Pominville for an equally over paid RD would be able to fill out the bottom half of the blueline.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If what pod & AKL are saying about Spooner is true, id be down for it if we can make it happen without Brodin?

idk if Brodin for him right now would be more than a lateral move.

Flax0

Aug 26, 2015
MN
Oilers offered RNH for Jones.

Wild offered Brodin+Haula for Johansen.

Both were just turned down. But that suggests Brodin+Haula is very close in value to RNH

do we know exactly that Haula was the forward in that deal??

I've heard that it was Brodin and a forward. Russo said something along the lines of Brodin being the Dman is for sure cause he heard it from multiple sources, but he only heard the forwards name from one source.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
im watching oil vs FLA tonight, if we cant trade for bjugstad i'd really like to see a deal with edm for RNH & YAK. they really dont need them and dang i think we'd be great. just have to ask who pommer would agree to be traded to maybe mtl or buff to free up some cap.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
If what pod & AKL are saying about Spooner is true, id be down for it if we can make it happen without Brodin?

idk if Brodin for him right now would be more than a lateral move.

To be completely honest, I can't see Spooner being traded. The kid is really really good. The only way he'd be moved would be for someone like Brodin and not many guys like that are available.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
im watching oil vs FLA tonight, if we cant trade for bjugstad i'd really like to see a deal with edm for RNH & YAK. they really dont need them and dang i think we'd be great. just have to ask who pommer would agree to be traded to maybe mtl or buff to free up some cap.

I have been watching parts of the Oilers tonight and RNH is playing well, looks like he plays the # 1 Penalty kill also

Last edited:

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
No way Spooner returns a top 3 dman.The team taking Spooner are assuming all the risk while the Bruins are assuming none.While Spooner has potential the amount of time he has been performing well in the NHL is too short to trade away proven assets without the Bruins adding more.If the Bruins are so sure he will hit 60 points this season they should wait until the offseason to trade him because his value would be higher and the risk assumed by the other team may be seen as less.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I have been watching parts of the Oilers tonight and RNH is playing well, looks like he plays the # 1 Penalty kill also

I have been watching this one as well. FLA looks AWFUL! But damn, Taylor Hall is a special player.

Never forget we have a pair of best friends in waiting if RNH get's added. :)

ASG_Gallery11_slide.jpg

ASG_Gallery12_slide.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad