Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Problem with our lines, lack of scoring, and alot with Parise is your asking him to be the super star when hes prob the best support player for super stars in the league, its why he had his best years with Kovalchuck.

We need to get this guy a threat to take all eyes off Parise, someone Granlund can play catch with and allow Parise to be where hes at his best more than he is now... in front of the net.

Parise - Granlund - X
Zucker - Y/Koivu - Pominville
Vanek - Coyle - Nino
Carter - Haula - Fontain

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeron
Prosser/Olof/Reilly - Z/Dumba

- X is #1 Priority right now, getting a more offensive danger threat. I have to assume we went as hard as we could to get RyJo and that would have solved alot of these problems imo, but here we are.

- Y is a concern, but not atm. If this team can get some consistency back Koivu can play to the stage of #1c, but if we get that RW danger threat for Parise-Granny, Maybe Granny takes a huge step? Either way our top2 centers are good enough to be competitive with pretty much any team for the next few years.

- Z our depth exp outside of our top4 is a concern these next 1-2 years if we move on Dumba, but we have talent back their to not have to freak out.

This is my current overall assessment of where this team is at right now, we need that Dynamic RW for Parise's line so everyone can fall into their roles better, someone who can score us that 1 goal to get us going consistently, or walk into the zone and force defenders to have to stand still and watch, or that 1 goal in OT, or all those 2v1's, 3v1s and breakaways.

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have watched Moses quite a bit, because he used to play in Jokerit in Helsinki. Moses is fast and has good hands, but is small, kinda weak and soft. Never goes to boards.

Columbus GM Kekäläinen was GM for Jokerit at the time and he knows the player very well... haven't seen him picking Moses up to NHL.

A small Pominville? :shakehead Schroeder 2.0?

Thanks for the insight.

Is Grayson Downing still tearing it up down in Iowa?

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
I have watched Moses quite a bit, because he used to play in Jokerit in Helsinki. Moses is fast and has good hands, but is small, kinda weak and soft. Never goes to boards.

Columbus GM Kekäläinen was GM for Jokerit at the time and he knows the player very well... haven't seen him picking Moses up to NHL.

I actually heard he wanted to sign him. Not from Keku himself, but from a source I have no reason to doubt.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
The Bruins are my #2 team (after we lost the North Stars, I became a huge Bruins fan). I watch them religiously like I do the Wild. If anyone on here thinks Spooner isn't the real deal, then you clearly have never watched him. This kid is going to have a great career. I would absolutely rather have Spooner over RNH and I wouldn't think twice about it. If the deal is Brodin+small add for Spooner+1st, that's a major win-win for each team.

So now it's Spooner over RNH?! As I stated earlier this is getting absolutely ridiculous.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
So now it's Spooner over RNH?! As I stated earlier this is getting absolutely ridiculous.

Spooner is the same age, producing more, plays the two way game just as well and has a steal of a contract for the next two years. You can sign him for much less than the $6m RNH gets. Don't get me wrong, I really like RNH too but having watched crazy amounts of Spooner play, I'd rather have him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Spooner is a year older, smaller, and has, relative to RNH, zero track record as a #1C.

Unlike you, I haven't watched him. He could be the next great thing.

Or not.

GM better do a LOT of research before he commits to trading away any of our top 4 for him. My first instinct is to say Dumba, maybe. No way for any of our top4.

Last edited:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
And no comment on Spooner. I haven't seen him play, but statswise he is not a big upgrade over Coyle.

Stick CC with Parise and Pominfail to see. Maybe he is ready to be the one?

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
Problem with our lines, lack of scoring, and alot with Parise is your asking him to be the super star when hes prob the best support player for super stars in the league, its why he had his best years with Kovalchuck.

We need to get this guy a threat to take all eyes off Parise, someone Granlund can play catch with and allow Parise to be where hes at his best more than he is now... in front of the net.

Parise - Granlund - X
Zucker - Y/Koivu - Pominville
Vanek - Coyle - Nino
Carter - Haula - Fontain

Suter - Brodin
Scandella - Spurgeron
Prosser/Olof/Reilly - Z/Dumba

- X is #1 Priority right now, getting a more offensive danger threat. I have to assume we went as hard as we could to get RyJo and that would have solved alot of these problems imo, but here we are.

- Y is a concern, but not atm. If this team can get some consistency back Koivu can play to the stage of #1c, but if we get that RW danger threat for Parise-Granny, Maybe Granny takes a huge step? Either way our top2 centers are good enough to be competitive with pretty much any team for the next few years.

- Z our depth exp outside of our top4 is a concern these next 1-2 years if we move on Dumba, but we have talent back their to not have to freak out.

This is my current overall assessment of where this team is at right now, we need that Dynamic RW for Parise's line so everyone can fall into their roles better, someone who can score us that 1 goal to get us going consistently, or walk into the zone and force defenders to have to stand still and watch, or that 1 goal in OT, or all those 2v1's, 3v1s and breakaways.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. A big issue for us offensively is that Parise is the only guy on the team that can carry a line on offense and like you said asking him to be a superstar is a bit of a reach. It works when someone like Koivu or Vanek or even Zucker gets really hot and take some attention off him but all three of those players are incredibly streaky. What makes matters worse is that Parise playing banged up, his knee is not at 100%, and every other forward we have can't find the net.

The Wild are in desperate need of another top-line quality player that can carry a line. We have enough secondary scorers/support players to be dangerous enough on offense if we can get that crucial piece. The one area I see things differently is that we need that player X to not be on Parise's line. We need a guy that pair with one of our secondary scoring wingers (Zucker, Coyle, Nino, Vanek, Pommer) and form a second dangerous line that makes teams choose which one to shutdown.

El Nino22

Nov 19, 2010
And no comment on Spooner. I haven't seen him play, but statswise he is not a big upgrade over Coyle.

Stick CC with Parise and Pominfail to see. Maybe he is ready to be the one?

I think Coyle is ready for top-6 role. He just needs his role to be defined. He's constantly switching between wing and center back and forth and then up and down the lineup nightly. The guy has different line mates and a different position game to game.

I'd stick Coyle with Granlund and Zucker. Let the three young guns play together and hopefully figure it out together. You've got a playmaker, sniper, and power forward there that should be able to play off each other very well and you eliminate the issue of the younger guys deferring to veterans.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
I think Coyle is ready for top-6 role. He just needs his role to be defined. He's constantly switching between wing and center back and forth and then up and down the lineup nightly. The guy has different line mates and a different position game to game.

I'd stick Coyle with Granlund and Zucker. Let the three young guns play together and hopefully figure it out together. You've got a playmaker, sniper, and power forward there that should be able to play off each other very well and you eliminate the issue of the younger guys deferring to veterans.

I'd be okay with letting Coyle play center, and try Granlund on the wing, because why not?

Looks like Drouin to MTL is picking up steam. Nothing like hometown pressure.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Personally i would love getting RNH. Would Edm do a RNH - Brodin straight up?

If they are smart, yes. They have a history of being dumb, so probably no.

Not interested, myself. Would consider moving Dumba for someone, though the lack of RD is concerning. Reilly didn't look out of place, and it's not like he would be replacing a defensive whiz in Dumba.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
I thought RNH was undervalued here but I'm blown away how much hate Spooner is getting. If you can get a kid with the talent of Spooner AND a 1st for Brodin, you do that 100/100. Spooner is absolutely the real deal. Personally, I believe Spooner for Brodin straight up is even very close to fair. I can't tell you guys enough on how good Spooner really is.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I thought RNH was undervalued here but I'm blown away how much hate Spooner is getting. If you can get a kid with the talent of Spooner AND a 1st for Brodin, you do that 100/100. Spooner is absolutely the real deal. Personally, I believe Spooner for Brodin straight up is even very close to fair. I can't tell you guys enough on how good Spooner really is.

Thank god, I thought I was the only one.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010

It's no hate on Spooner from my part, far from it. Only questioning your player judgement if we trade away Brodin and you say you'd rather have Spooner than RNH coming back.

I know there's that 1st also involved, but in my mind there's no way we trade away Brodin without being very confident we end up a better team now as well as in the future. Spooner might become the greatest player ever, but you just don't trade Brodin for him at this moment in time.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Team needs a top line center badly. Possibly a RW. Unless Drouin can switch to RW I have zero interest as a fan.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have interest but not if we have to send anything significant. Drouin smells like Yakupov... Reilly's recent showing, albeit in a VERY small sample size, was impressive enough to not make me worry about losing Dumba anymore.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Spooner, since his callup in late February last season, has 51 points in 68 games. He hasn't gone more than 4 games without registering a point. 3 4 game pointless streaks and 3 3 game pointless streaks. He's very consistent offensively.

He is currently 6th in P/60 in the NHL behind only Kane, Benn, Seguin, Kuznetsov, and Backstrom.
His A/60 is 3rd in the NHL behind only kane and kuz.
He does this playing with streaky 3rd line/4th line/1st year players for like 75% of the season and behind two great centers under one of the most strict defensive coaches in the league.

One of the most interesting stats for Spooner is that 19 of his 23 assists are primary assists. He is 5th in the league in primary assists despite only 30th in the league for total assists.

That tells us that Spooner is an elite playmaker and therefore being criminally underrated in this thread. By the time Spooner "proves" his value to you, it will cost a lot more than a good young 3-4 dman Dman to pry him out of boston.

Great post by Bearcountry on main page thread to explain a bit more about Spooner.

And I compared him to Tyler Johnson yesterday, and he is on pace to beat Johnsons 1st full NHL season points, by 10+, if he keeps this ups and proves himself more his value will explode and will be hard to get, he's on a .950M contact :laugh:
Talk about contender adding that to their team with 1M.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah Spooner is definitely a real deal, and I have to think the only reasons you guys are so gung-ho about getting RNH over him is because of the draft pedigree. Spooner's also faster than RNH and a better PP player, which is never a bad thing.

Not to mention you guys are also down for the cause of trading Dumba for Drouin, which is another trade where we acquire unproven risk.

Not sure why you guys are so against it when we get a C of the same ilk as RNH AND a 1st rounder on top of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->