Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not I. I just think that 4 years down the line a lot of things can change, so 4 first is pretty steep. I wouldn’t be at all mad if we did it, but we’d have to understand that we’re taking on essentially more risk than any team has ever taken on in the salary cap era. For a guy like Eichel, I would give up 4 first without even blinking because even if we get lost out of 2/3 really good players, Eichel is, in my eyes, a top 5 player in the world. Obviosuly, Eichel isn’t an RFA, so it’s not really realistic. Barzal is on pace for 70 points this year, had 62 last year, and while I think he’s got potential to be more than that (he has been more than that), it’s still extremely risky.

You're definitely paying a premium, in both acquisition cost and contract amount, but you're doing so for a level of certainty in the player you're getting back, which you can't get in any of the 4 picks that you'd be giving up.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
Assets are finite in the NHL - giving up a bunch for one player is questionable management of assets imo, especially over a long term.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Assets are finite in the NHL - giving up a bunch for one player is questionable management of assets imo, especially over a long term.
the kid has 85 points in 82 games, 62 points in 82 games and currently 59 in 67 games with a career %42 faceoff percentage. Our need for a 1C is huge and this could help long term.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Man, FO's aren't everything, but Barzal sure sucks at them. He's around 41%.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I do wonder what a package of Dumba and Pitts 1st would bring us back. I think that Guerin would be open to moving that package too. If I can’t get one of Necas, Nylander, or Domi for Dumba, I’d see if Adding a 1st to that could get me a true 1C.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I do wonder what a package of Dumba and Pitts 1st would bring us back. I think that Guerin would be open to moving that package too. If I can’t get one of Necas, Nylander, or Domi for Dumba, I’d see if Adding a 1st to that could get me a true 1C.

Dumba and a late 1st probably wouldn't get us much more than Dumba by himself would. Maybe it's something like Dumba+1st for Nylander+Kral as an example, where Dumba isn't enough for Nylander by himself, but with the 1st added on we get a meh prospect back.

Reactions: DemidovSaveUs

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Its all academic because any offer sheet would be matched immediately by the Isles.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Its all academic because any offer sheet would be matched immediately by the Isles.
For what it’s worth, NYI would have to tear their team apart to match a $13 million offer sheet. They don’t have enough space next summer to match that as is and that doesn’t even factor in that Toews and Pulock also need extensions. I don’t know how they ever planned on Parise fitting in.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
I mean here’s the question: at what point does NYI not match? 10.5 million+ is the 4 1sts cutoff. I think they match that, but as the price gets higher and higher, they might say: “4 1sts isn’t a bad return” and just let him go. Not to mention, they don’t necessarily have an abundance of cap space to play with.

EDIT: assuming the cap is 85 million next year, it might be way less, Isles would have ~13.5 million to:
Resign Barzal, Toews, Pulock, Pelech. Anything over 11 Million for Barzal I think gets iffy for them.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I bet there’s a team out there that would do it.

A late 1st for maybe a mid 2nd plus all that? I’m sure you could get a team with a weak pool to bite. Not sure we should be making that deal though honestly.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I mean here’s the question: at what point does NYI not match? 10.5 million+ is the 4 1sts cutoff. I think they match that, but as the price gets higher and higher, they might say: “4 1sts isn’t a bad return” and just let him go. Not to mention, they don’t necessarily have an abundance of cap space to play with.

EDIT: assuming the cap is 85 million next year, it might be way less, Isles would have ~13.5 million to:
Resign Barzal, Toews, Pulock, Pelech. Anything over 11 Million for Barzal I think gets iffy for them.

Maybe that’s where Lou wanted Guerin to retain more on Parise than Guerin would be comfortable with.

Either way, kinda get the feeling that Parise to NYI is dead in the water.

DemidovSaveUs

May 2, 2018
Maybe that’s where Lou wanted Guerin to retain more on Parise than Guerin would be comfortable with.

Either way, kinda get the feeling that Parise to NYI is dead in the water.
As it should be if we’re going to have to retain what we’d have to retain to make the cap work.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
A late 1st for maybe a mid 2nd plus all that? I’m sure you could get a team with a weak pool to bite. Not sure we should be making that deal though honestly.
I've heard this draft is pretty deep in the 1st round. Guys that are going 20-30 would usually go 15 to 20's? time will only tell. Depends on how you feel about the later rounds of the draft. Past the 1st 2 Rounds I am out of my league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->