Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
A career high 48 points in 2017-18 after the femur fracture in 2017. He didn’t regress until 2018-19. His injury and regression weren’t correlated
Certainly affected his growth as a player which is what I'm assuming Nashville fans were complaining about his game even that season. Coming off what he was doing before the playoffs and into them, 48pts was a disappointment. His confidence in his abilities took a hit, led to a worse following season. Carried into this season when he got his confidence and game back on track.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Certainly affected his growth as a player which is what I'm assuming Nashville fans were complaining about his game even that season. Coming off what he was doing before the playoffs and into them, 48pts was a disappointment. His confidence in his abilities took a hit, led to a worse following season. Carried into this season when he got his confidence and game back on track.
I can’t say I watched every preds game in 2016-17 but I’d be surprised if their fans were disappointed with him going from 16 points to 48 points. Regardless I don’t think Fiala’s injury should be the basis for a completely different human being in Trocheck

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can’t say I watched every preds game in 2016-17 but I’d be surprised if their fans were disappointed with him going from 16 points to 48 points. Regardless I don’t think Fiala’s injury should be the basis for a completely different human being in Trocheck
Completely different human being how? Have you seen the 5v5 stats?

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Completely different human being how? Have you seen the 5v5 stats?
Yes. The process of how one person heals is completely different from how another person heals. Let alone they are completely different injuries. Let alone Fiala is much younger. Let alone Fiala has a higher ceiling.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yes. The process of how one person heals is completely different from how another person heals. Let alone they are completely different injuries. Let alone Fiala is much younger. Let alone Fiala has a higher ceiling.
I thought you meant Trocheck was completely different from himself. His 5v5 stats suggest comeback, he's not nearly as bad as Florida fans say.

When I watch him play, I see an upgrade over Staal, both on the ice and age-wise.

Long term, I'd still look for another center as I don't think either Ek or Trocheck would be a #1, but I think Trocheck can be a bridge #1 and be a very good #2.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I thought you meant Trocheck was completely different from himself. His 5v5 stats suggest comeback, he's not nearly as bad as Florida fans say.
From what they’ve said it sounds like he can’t win any puck battles and has never been slower. He’s not the player I want to give up our best defenseman for.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
From what they’ve said it sounds like he can’t win any puck battles and has never been slower. He’s not the player I want to give up our best defenseman for.
Which one? Ryan Suter or Jared Spurgeon? Both have NMC that lock them in forever.

Brodin is a luxury on the 2nd pair and is likely gone before the expansion draft along with Dumba eventually. Brodin can bring us Trocheck+...I think depending on the +, we're talking a very good return.

Last edited:

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013

When I watch him play, I see an upgrade over Staal, both on the ice and age-wise.

Long term, I'd still look for another center as I don't think either Ek or Trocheck would be a #1, but I think Trocheck can be a bridge #1 and be a very good #2.
I like the look of this without a true #1C not including Staal.
In no order.

JEE
Trochek
Sturm

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Even though they are the same age, i think that Brodin will have a longer, and more effective, career than Trochek. I simply think that he is a better physical specimen, and also thinks the game better, which can help longevity.

I also think that Brodin is more valuable than Dumba, especially on a team such as ours, which is loaded with offensively skilled RHD and RHD prospects.

I don't think that CAL would trade Monahan for a Dman. Would sooner have Nylander than Domi, but not by a longshot. I figure that there are too many questions about Trocheck to even pull the trigger. Would rather go after a C prospect like Krebs+ or Zegras, not that i know if they are available.

Reactions: Tuntrui

Kase

May 1, 2016
Even though they are the same age, i think that Brodin will have a longer, and more effective, career than Trochek. I simply think that he is a better physical specimen, and also thinks the game better, which can help longevity.

I also think that Brodin is more valuable than Dumba, especially on a team such as ours, which is loaded with offensively skilled RHD and RHD prospects.

I don't think that CAL would trade Monahan for a Dman. Would sooner have Nylander than Domi, but not by a longshot. I figure that there are too many questions about Trocheck to even pull the trigger. Would rather go after a C prospect like Krebs+ or Zegras, not that i know if they are available.

Agreed especially on the bolded.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Brodin could play around the same level until he is 35, that's why I think extending him would be the best outcome.

Trocheck would probably be a good stop gap top 6 center for the remainder of his contract, but I wouldn't want to be the team that gives him his next long term contract into his 30s.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Hi, I, a Panthers fan, was lurking your board hoping to find information about the dream Brodin for Trocheck trade. I thought I could interject on Trocheck's regression. Whoever said Florida is scapegoating him is right with a caveat:

1. Caveat: Trocheck is not playing like his 75 point season. Perhaps it is because of injury. I think it is also due to the lack of complementary players: right now Trocheck is trying to do everything.
  2. His point decline is predominantly due to a lack of powerplay time. His RS and PK point per game pace is about the same over the past 5 years except for his injury season. Instead his powerplay production plummeted due to a) he isn't playing on the top unit where he played more of a trigger role now taken by Hoffman and b) his pp time on ice fell from about 3.23 in 2017-2018 to about 2min this season. (I am attaching a spreadsheet that has all the conversions)
I can talk a bit more about some of the changes in his production but I do think you should think of him as a 60 point center if you play him on the top powerplay unit

View media item 7273

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I still think there's validity to not wanting to be the team that extends him into his mid 30s, but at some point you've got to take a chance on a center. Brodin is a luxury. A top 6 center is a need.

Reactions: TaLoN

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just reiterating they are AHL guys first, hence they will be reassigned tomorrow to retain AHL playoff eligibility. Hence the attachment to the previous posts.
I wasn't sure if he meant they were playing tonight or something else, but I'm not interpreting that as you are given the wording.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I wasn't sure if he meant they were playing tonight or something else, but I'm not interpreting that as you are given the wording.
He already said they aren't playing tonight barring something unforeseen.

The attachment to the previous post provides the context on this one. They have to be reassigned to retain eligibility for AHL playoffs tomorrow.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
I'd much rather try to peruse horvat and slightly overpay but idk that's just me, something about trocheck just doesnt seem to entice me for his longterm

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'd much rather try to peruse horvat and slightly overpay but idk that's just me, something about trocheck just doesnt seem to entice me for his longterm

What makes you think Horvat is even remotely available?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
He already said they aren't playing tonight barring something unforeseen.

The attachment to the previous post provides the context on this one. They have to be reassigned to retain eligibility for AHL playoffs tomorrow.
Hmm, he should have worded it differently regardless.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
What makes you think Horvat is even remotely available?

Dont neccesarily think he is right now but if van ends up having a disappointing season end or early exit maybe they would be willing to listen on him? Edler is getting up their and you cant expect hughes to take over a #1 minute munching role right out the gate defense should be their need for the future.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dont neccesarily think he is right now but if van ends up having a disappointing season end or early exit maybe they would be willing to listen on him? Edler is getting up their and you cant expect hughes to take over a #1 minute munching role right out the gate defense should be their need for the future.

I promise you their 24 year old captain won't be made available regardless of how this season goes.

As for Hughes, he's only playing 1 minute per game less than Edler right now, he's already a #2 at worst.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
True it was more of a pipe dream and trying to see if waiting could provide more opportunities later than making a move now, say aim for the the draft?

Dumbas name atleast doesnt get laughed at for a starting point right? If they want to consider moving on from meyer's I'm sure they could do that.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
26 is considered old now? Same age as Brodin.

He'll be 27 at the start of next season and there is a pretty safe bet that Minnesota won't be competing then either. The rebuild may take 2-3 years at best to fix this team and be competitive. 2-3 years, puts Trocheck at 29-30 (when his contract runs out as well). That puts Minnesota is a very precarious position and who knows how Trocheck may decline. Players usually peak around 26-30. Furthermore, Brodin's game gives credence that'll be play in his mid to late 30s. Trocheck? Eh.

I still think there's validity to not wanting to be the team that extends him into his mid 30s, but at some point you've got to take a chance on a center. Brodin is a luxury. A top 6 center is a need.

How is Brodin a luxury? We have zero depth at left defense (unless you move Belpedio over there) or bring up Warren early. Furthermore, the Wild don't have a lot of smooth skating defensive defensemen like Brodin in the system. They loaded up on offensive-defensemen.

Addison, Menell, Belpedio, Johansson, and Johansson are all right-hand shots. We could move one of them to their off-position, but? I know Belpedio could - but still. Wild could use a defenseman on the left. And at this point Dumba is more of a luxury than Brodin is.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He'll be 27 at the start of next season and there is a pretty safe bet that Minnesota won't be competing then either. The rebuild may take 2-3 years at best to fix this team and be competitive. 2-3 years, puts Trocheck at 29-30 (when his contract runs out as well). That puts Minnesota is a very precarious position and who knows how Trocheck may decline. Players usually peak around 26-30. Furthermore, Brodin's game gives credence that'll be play in his mid to late 30s. Trocheck? Eh.

How is Brodin a luxury? We have zero depth at left defense (unless you move Belpedio over there) or bring up Warren early. Furthermore, the Wild don't have a lot of smooth skating defensive defensemen like Brodin in the system. They loaded up on offensive-defensemen.

Addison, Menell, Belpedio, Johansson, and Johansson are all right-hand shots. We could move one of them to their off-position, but? I know Belpedio could - but still. Wild could use a defenseman on the left. And at this point Dumba is more of a luxury than Brodin is.

Dumba is also a luxury. Difference between Dumba and Brodin is one of their values is at an all time high, the other an all time low.

Reactions: TaLoN

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Dumba is also a luxury. Difference between Dumba and Brodin is one of their values is at an all time high, the other an all time low.

With Soucy out, I don't see Brodin being moved. Dumba probably won't either given as you mentioned how low his value is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad