Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
As I peruse the goalie options, I'm climbing aboard the Griess train. 2 years 8 million or so? He's always been a 1B/ backup so less wear and tear. Except one season has put up good or decent numbers.

Griess/Khakkonen seems like a capable tandem given our D.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
As I peruse the goalie options, I'm climbing aboard the Griess train. 2 years 8 million or so? He's always been a 1B/ backup so less wear and tear. Except one season has put up good or decent numbers.

Welcome aboard! Though I think $4M is probably a bit high in this goalie climate.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

He'd be my preferred UFA target. And if this Fleury stuff goes off the rails he'd probably be my overall preference as well. Kuemper, Andersen, Murray, etc. all seem like poor investments.

JP Flow

May 1, 2019
Out East

If you can’t get Krebs and Fleury for future considerations or a late-round pick, yes.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Welcome aboard! Though I think $4M is probably a bit high in this goalie climate.
The goalie climate is a lot of goalies on bad contracts available for trade. That might actually drive up costs on good UFAs. Cash instead of picks.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The goalie climate is a lot of goalies on bad contracts available for trade. That might actually drive up costs on good UFAs. Cash instead of picks.

We'll see how many move around plug holes before free agency opens, but that might mean we take ourselves out of it as well, which could be too bad.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
We'll see how many move around plug holes before free agency opens, but that might mean we take ourselves out of it as well, which could be too bad.

Personally, I'm ok with giving KK the reigns which is the fallback option if we strike out in Griess. Id rather have someone better than Stalock be out other option, but I'm not game for Fleury unless it's full retention and a great secondary piece.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Personally, I'm ok with giving KK the reigns which is the fallback option if we strike out in Griess. Id rather have someone better than Stalock be out other option, but I'm not game for Fleury unless it's full retention and a great secondary piece.

I'm open to varying degrees of Fleury retention depending on the secondary piece.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There won't be both salary retention and a sweetener to take Fleury. One or the other

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Another option would be Crawford, he's 35 so he can get performance bonuses on a 1 year deal.

We have cap space. 4 million with an additional 2 or even 3 million in bonuses for games player, wins, save percentage, whatever.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Full retention, probably, but if the situation dictates that they can't bring him down that far, then there should be something.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fleury for 2 years at $3.5 -$4M is a good fit for what the Wild need
I don't have much faith in him rebounding personally.

He's got a lot of games under his belt. The other goalies were discussing are about the same age, but have 400 less games played if you include playoffs. 1000 games is a ton for a goalie.

I think he's done, and don't want more of his decline. I certainly could be wrong.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I still wouldn't rule out Holtby on a one year deal to try and build value. Lehner's new deal must've been a real kick in the store for his UFA plans.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I still wouldn't rule out Holtby on a one year deal to try and build value. Lehner's new deal must've been a real kick in the store for his UFA plans.
The trick there is getting him to agree to a one year deal. He's got the three year obvious decline going, but if someone goes 3 year at 3 million AAV, that security is going to be tough to best at 1 year 4 million.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't want to pay much for a goalie on a one year deal, because I don't think that the one year is going to be a full one. Now, if someone wants to pay us for taking a goalie on a one year deal...I'm all ears, as I don't think we are going to be paying him for a full year anyway.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I'd be on the Greiss train, but would be curious how much Holtby would cost.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I don't want to pay much for a goalie on a one year deal, because I don't think that the one year is going to be a full one. Now, if someone wants to pay us for taking a goalie on a one year deal...I'm all ears, as I don't think we are going to be paying him for a full year anyway.

I'm struggling to figure out how that matters in the slightest? Whether it's a 60 game season or an 82 game season we need a goalie.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
So are we trading for Stamkos? 1C may be available. Only problem is you’re only going to get 50 games a year from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->