Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
With tenders, it seems like there is a sweet-spot between their entry/bridge deals and then their big one.

Murray was there when he won two.
Binnington was there.
Vasilesky gets his bump in a year.

I am sure there are outliers but this was something I thought it.
I agree there is a sweet spot to be found, the problem is, I don't think any GM has the guts to actually move that tender before they get committed to the big bank.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Mathews, Eichel, and McDavid are all elite, "franchise" C's that make a ton of money. No one complains that they are overpaid, even though their teams have trouble making the playoffs, let alone contend for a Cup. Seems there is a double standard here.

Great players, no matter what the position, have longevity as well as a super high level of performance. I think what many are afraid of with goaltenders is that their hips and knees break down after years in the butterfly.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Mathews, Eichel, and McDavid are all elite, "franchise" C's that make a ton of money. No one complains that they are overpaid, even though their teams have trouble making the playoffs, let alone contend for a Cup. Seems there is a double standard here.

Great players, no matter what the position, have longevity as well as a super high level of performance. I think what many are afraid of with goaltenders is that their hips and knees break down after years in the butterfly.
Eichel and McDavid still need teams built properly around them, but they make players around them better. You have a much better chance with Eichel and McDavid than you do with Price.

Look at the cup champs since the cap. Goaltenders simply don't carry the value they did pre-cap era. When spending is limited, you want to spend your money on guys who are more likely to play 82 games and have the puck on their stick making a impact at both ends of the ice. Not a goaltender that plays 65-70 games and only impacts play in his own zone for the most part. Not when you can get a guy to play for $4-5 mil less and not have all that big of a dropoff by comparison.

The gap in quality of replacement from Eichel/McDavid to someone like Koivu/Staal is GIGANTIC compared to Price and Markstrom for example. Also, even when you have someone like Eichel/McDavid, you still need more of them! Why do you think the Pens kept both Crosby and Malkin all those years?

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
I thought I remember hearing somewhere that goalies selected in the first round are somewhat of a toss-up. Isn't that correct? For example when was Dubnyk taken?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Staal for Johansson
Conditional 7th for Bjugstad
Donato for 2021 3rd
Dubnyk(+?) for 2022 5th

Is Guerin going to do anything to actually make an impact on the roster or
Guerin is the first GM to come in here and go for the tank

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I’m surprised we didn’t take Vegas up on Fleury and a 2nd for nothing.

mind you it’s a huge contract.

if we took him on with maybe some Retention or a 1st or maybe a prospect it would be worth it for 2 years.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I thought I remember hearing somewhere that goalies selected in the first round are somewhat of a toss-up. Isn't that correct? For example when was Dubnyk taken?
Since 2000, 13 goalies have been taken in the first round. That produced 3 good starting goalies (price, vis and Fleury), 2 outright busts (Pickard and Campbell) and a bunch of guys that were more or less journey men 1b or backup guys. 2 or 3 guys are too soon to tell.

Reactions: BlackBusa24

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Since 2000, 13 goalies have been taken in the first round. That produced 3 good starting goalies (price, vis and Fleury), 2 outright busts (Pickard and Campbell) and a bunch of guys that were more or less journey men 1b or backup guys. 2 or 3 guys are too soon to tell.
And if you go back beyond 2000, it gets really bad. 1st round picks on goalies are just a bad idea

Reactions: TaLoN

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
And if you go back beyond 2000, it gets really bad. 1st round picks on goalies are just a bad idea

Less bad than it used to be, apparently.

Still probably bad, though. But considering our first-round track record over the past decade, I dunno that we're better off with position players either.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Less bad than it used to be, apparently.

Still probably bad, though. But considering our first-round track record over the past decade, I dunno that we're better off with position players either.
Granlund, Brodin, Phillips, Dumba, Tuch, Ek, Kunin, Johansson, Boldy.

A couple bad picks, but certainly much better than goaltenders in rate of success.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Fair point. I have no idea what he’s doing thoigh
Let's see:
1. he's getting younger by not resigning Koivu and trading Staal.
2. he's getting better goaltending just by getting rid of Duby
3. he's freeing up some cap space by moving Donato who was not going to get any minutes with us
4. GM and coach seem to believe Johannson is a better playmaker that will fit better with Kaprisov and/or Fiala
5. Bjudstad has size and skill and can play center if need be and hopefully he's healthy.
6. this roster needed a big shakeup since the previous roster didn't get it done

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Let's see:
1. he's getting younger by not resigning Koivu and trading Staal.
2. he's getting better goaltending just by getting rid of Duby
3. he's freeing up some cap space by moving Donato who was not going to get any minutes with us
4. GM and coach seem to believe Johannson is a better playmaker that will fit better with Kaprisov and/or Fiala
5. Bjudstad has size and skill and can play center if need be and hopefully he's healthy.
6. this roster needed a big shakeup since the previous roster didn't get it done
No they don't.

Number 6 is the biggest point. Guerin just isn't very good at it

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Who are we cheering the Petro goes to? Stays with the Blues? Vegas?

Which will help us most value wise for Dumba?
Out east to make Pittsburgh’s schedule tougher. After that, look at teams who have assets we want and hope he doesn’t go there because that would take us out of play with Dumba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->