Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see Ehlers as a great playmaker but more of an all round scoring LW. He does have nice speed. He would be vg value for Dumba as things stand now, if not an overpay, but that can change quickly if Dumba starts off hot like he did in 2019. There is no doubt that he would be a good fit in WPG, but Ehlers, besides his talent, is a poor one in MN. I would categorize him as a rich man's Zucker.

Dumba + Donato for Ehlers ....sooner or later we have to start shedding LHS wings, not acquiring them.

Last edited:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Never said anything about passing on Ehlers. Just tried to dial down the "Ehlers might be better than Laine" nonsense.

I didn't say he might be better, I said I might prefer him and he might have more pros for us than Laine.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
5 potential trade destinations for Laine

Minnesota Wild

The Wild are one of the most adept defensive teams in the league, and adding a lethal scorer such as Laine would undoubtedly take them to the next level. General manager Bill Guerin has made it known that the club wants to add a first- or second-line center, but Minnesota has only two right-shot forwards in its lineup, so acquiring another player with that tendency wouldn't be an awful Plan B.

Matt Dumba's name has been tossed around in trade rumors, and the 26-year-old would make for a strong starting point in Guerin's bid. Dumba has three years remaining on his current deal, which carries an annual cap hit of $6 million. Perhaps adding a second-round pick that converts to a first-rounder if Laine signs with the Wild beyond 2020-21 could sweeten the pot.
What a deal could look like:

WILD ACQUIRE
F Patrik Laine
2021 2nd-round pick

JETS ACQUIRE
D Matt Dumba
F Joel Eriksson Ek
Conditional 2021 1st-round pick (from Pittsburgh)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
5 potential trade destinations for Laine

Minnesota Wild

The Wild are one of the most adept defensive teams in the league, and adding a lethal scorer such as Laine would undoubtedly take them to the next level. General manager Bill Guerin has made it known that the club wants to add a first- or second-line center, but Minnesota has only two right-shot forwards in its lineup, so acquiring another player with that tendency wouldn't be an awful Plan B.

Matt Dumba's name has been tossed around in trade rumors, and the 26-year-old would make for a strong starting point in Guerin's bid. Dumba has three years remaining on his current deal, which carries an annual cap hit of $6 million. Perhaps adding a second-round pick that converts to a first-rounder if Laine signs with the Wild beyond 2020-21 could sweeten the pot.
What a deal could look like:

WILD ACQUIRE
F Patrik Laine
2021 2nd-round pick

JETS ACQUIRE
D Matt Dumba
F Joel Eriksson Ek
Conditional 2021 1st-round pick (from Pittsburgh)

Never mind that you can't make a condition on someone re-signing, and Laine is still an RFA for two more years.

Patrik Laine would fail miserably here if his centers are Marcus Johansson, Nick Bjugstad and Victor Rask. He can't drive his own line, he relies heavily on his linemates getting him the puck.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Not feeling that at all.

Me neither. That leaves the Wild with Rask, Johansson, Bjugstad and Sturm as centers. Oh and Donato and Kunin if they decide to convert over.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around 10th + Roslevic for Dumba. If Danault isn't worth the 9th, Dumba isn't worth the 10th.

What do you guys think a Laine extension would look like in terms of AAV?

Hard to say at this point, due to Covid-19. If I had to guess something around 7 years for 49/56 million.

I'm using Rantanen, Kucherov, Nylander, Connor, as sort of the base. I see Laine getting around 7-8 million per.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
is there any real reason why Winnipeg is looking to move Laine? I know they have holes at D and Center, but this feels like if the Wild wanted to trade Fiala to fix their roster. Shouldn't you look to be keeping one of your best players unless they plan on rebuilding?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Laine has had one of the game's most unheralded, but excellent Centers feeding him pucks during his time in WPG. Who is going to be feeding him here in MN? Rask?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
is there any real reason why Winnipeg is looking to move Laine? I know they have holes at D and Center, but this feels like if the Wild wanted to trade Fiala to fix their roster. Shouldn't you look to be keeping one of your best players unless they plan on rebuilding?
They'd have to have concerns about extending him long term, which is the same reason they tend to target guys with term on their deals (like Dumba). Fair or not, attracting UFAs (or getting near-UFAs to extend) is a challenge for the Jets.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
They'd have to have concerns about extending him long term, which is the same reason they tend to target guys with term on their deals (like Dumba). Fair or not, attracting UFAs (or getting near-UFAs to extend) is a challenge for the Jets.

Also didn't they have some concerns about his commitment to the game?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Here might be a dumb one:

Dumba to Winnipeg
Ehlers to Nashville
#11 and Tomasino to Minnesota

Don't see 3-team intra-division trades too much.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I’d be curious if any of the teams in front of us who are projecting to take a defenseman would instead trade their pick straight up for Dumba. That’s a trade I’d probably entertain.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I’d be curious if any of the teams in front of us who are projecting to take a defenseman would instead trade their pick straight up for Dumba. That’s a trade I’d probably entertain.
Anaheim's the only one that stands out to me, and I have to think they'd rather keep the pick. Still, money can make teams impatient about things like continually missing the playoffs.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I don't know if any team would do pick for Dumba, but you might be able to package Dumba - 9OA for their pick and maybe a prospect or pick.

See if the Ducks would do:
6OA + 27OA <-> Dumba + 9OA. (willing to change second 1st round pick into a center prospect)

Maybe Devils?
7OA + 18OA <-> Dumba + 9OA. (willing to change second 1st round pick into a center prospect)

Of course i'm higher on building for the future then trying to get prospects. Mostly it depends on who is available at 6 and 7.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't know if any team would do pick for Dumba, but you might be able to package Dumba - 9OA for their pick and maybe a prospect or pick.

See if the Ducks would do:
6OA + 27OA <-> Dumba + 9OA. (willing to change second 1st round pick into a center prospect)

Maybe Devils?
7OA + 18OA <-> Dumba + 9OA. (willing to change second 1st round pick into a center prospect)

Of course i'm higher on building for the future then trying to get prospects. Mostly it depends on who is available at 6 and 7.
My problem with trading up like this is that it isn't at all clear to me that there's much of a gap from 6/7 to 9. Obviously a lot depends on how the draft actually shakes out, but it really seems like a jumble from 4-9. If that's the case it's basically Dumba for 18/27, which is pretty rough.

Reactions: Legegendsofthenorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->