Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Except Boston has moved him up and down the roster and like his versatility. We never used him like Boston has.

His best years have been at center. Montreal messed him up by moving him from center.

How successful has Alex Galchenyuk been at centre? - Sportsnet.ca

This was back in 2015 when they moved him from center to wing.

Looking back at Alex Galchenyuk’s time in Arizona

He prefers to be at center and the numbers don't lie. His time in Arizona was also bad, because he missed training camp.

Did you read the next paragraph?

He did start as a center but before long the team would move him to wing in effort to minimize any defensive lapses.

With Galchenyuk moved to the wing the Coyotes were again on the hunt for a number one center. And after playing 20 games Arizona decided that former third overall pick Dylan Strome wasn’t going to be that center.

The Coyotes would trade Strome to the Chicago Blackhawks for Nick Schmaltz, immediately pairing Schmaltz with Clayton Keller as the de facto first line center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So you know more than most sites? He got moved back from center to wing in Arizona (for whatever reason), but still had 3rd most points for them. He prefers being a center than a wing and the numbers don't lie.
Feel free to post anything from "most sites" that show that he has been playing center. :dunno:

It's pretty clear that you have zero actual knowledge of the situation, but feel free to keep arguing with people that actually watch the NHL. When in doubt you could probably link another article from 2015. :facepalm:

If the discussion is that Galchenyuk might be worth a shot at trying to see if he can be a center in Minnesota? Then that is something to talk about.

But, if the discussion is that Galchenyuk has been playing center? Then that's simply not true.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Did you read the next paragraph?

Did you read the first? I thought you would teach someone defense but goal scoring was hard to get? Also did you read the articles on the fact that he prefers playing center? Finally we are looking for a top 6 center while Arizona is looking for first line center. Seems to me like he'd be good to play center.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Did you read the first? I thought you would teach someone defense but goal scoring was hard to get? Also did you read the articles on the fact that he prefers playing center? Finally we are looking for a top 6 center while Arizona is looking for first line center. Seems to me like he'd be good to play center.

I read that two teams realized he couldn't play center and moved him to the wing. I acknowledge that Pittsburgh acquired him to play on the wing. You have multiple GM's and coaches that don't believe Galchenyuk is a center. But because he was fourth on the Coyotes last year in faceoffs taken, and himself prefers to play center, you think he's a center, despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

I want a 25 year old top 6 center on this team as bad as anyone, but just because you want him to be one, doesn't mean he is one.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Well, okay, yeah. Do we think we could get either of them for Brad Hunt? I'd be happy with a 5th for Hunt.
Probably not, but we're talking about their 13th forward when healthy. With the clock ticking on Crosby/Malkin/Letang and the team playing pretty well my guess is that they'd want to use Galchenyuk to shore up a soft spot, and they seem to have one at LD. I sort of doubt that Hunt would be the best offer they get along those lines, but he's cheap and is having a good year. It's not a bad combo for a team like Pittsburgh.

Again though, if Staal's only going to miss a game and Koivu's back in a few weeks it's probably not really worth pursuing.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018

either Florida knows they can resign Hall, or they’re low on Trocheck. Don’t know that I’d trade a 2C on a great deal for a rental. If that’s the case, we need to look into trocheck

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
FLA is low on Trocheck. He had one really good year, got injured, and hasn't been the same since. Still think it's too much for Hall, but maybe they REALLY are low on Trocheck.

Ironically, the one place that could really use him would be EDM.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Panthers fans are definitely low on him, but general frustrations with the team tend to ground out in a single player and I thought that may have been what was going on. Maybe there's more to it than that.

Not that we have someone like Hall to offer, but I think he's still a player the Wild should be interested in.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Panthers fans are definitely low on him, but general frustrations with the team tend to ground out in a single player and I thought that may have been what was going on. Maybe there's more to it than that.

Not that we have someone like Hall to offer, but I think he's still a player the Wild should be interested in.
If Trocheck is available for rental prices, Guerin needs to be all over that

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Trocheck is available for rental prices, Guerin needs to be all over that

We'd likely have to offer Zucker. Just considering that Florida is probably looking at moving Trochek because Hall can help them make a playoff push, they probably aren't interested in much else. Which would be fine with me. Trochek has 2 years after this one at 4.75.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
We'd likely have to offer Zucker. Just considering that Florida is probably looking at moving Trochek because Hall can help them make a playoff push, they probably aren't interested in much else. Which would be fine with me. Trochek has 2 years after this one at 4.75.
If Florida is that low on Trocheck, then there has to be a deal in there somewhere that could be built around one of Zucker, Brodin, or Fiala

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Makes very little sense to me. Their centers after Barkov and Trocheck are Acciari, Boyle and Toninato. Nary a top 6er to be found.

Borgstrom isn't exactly lighting up the AHL either.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Florida is that low on Trocheck, then there has to be a deal in there somewhere that could be built around one of Zucker, Brodin, or Fiala
Makes very little sense to me. Their centers after Barkov and Trocheck are Acciari, Boyle and Toninato. Nary a top 6er to be found.

Borgstrom isn't exactly lighting up the AHL either.

Maybe they'll bite on lightly used top 6 center Ryan Donato

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Galchenyuk if he was dirt cheap; something like Hunt or Seeler in a 1 for 1 swap.

I wouldn't have high expectations for him as a center though. Pit has had a bunch of injuries to their centers (Crosby, Malkin, Bjustad) and Chucky has still been playing as a 4th line wing for them. Rask (last year version) is probably what he'd be in MN as a center.

He's always been good on the PP is more why I wouldn't mind getting him.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Galchenyuk if he was dirt cheap; something like Hunt or Seeler in a 1 for 1 swap.

I wouldn't have high expectations for him as a center though. Pit has had a bunch of injuries to their centers (Crosby, Malkin, Bjustad) and Chucky has still been playing as a 4th line wing for them. Rask (last year version) is probably what he'd be in MN as a center.

He's always been good on the PP is more why I wouldn't mind getting him.
Seeler / Hunt are not even close to getting Galy 1 for 1

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Galchenyuk is expiring, and getting rid of his contract would allow PIT to take on salary/player at the TDL. He also is not much of a player at this point, and certainly not a two way player. I don't see the attraction, myself.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Anyone want to reopen the discussion that it was a good idea to overpay Spurgeon for too long instead of trading him for help on offense?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Anyone want to reopen the discussion that it was a good idea to overpay Spurgeon for too long instead of trading him for help on offense?
I'm still kind of ambivalent about it. I don't love the contract but I don't hate it. I think Spurgeon's a great player, but we're one of the few teams in the league that could subtract him without really missing a beat.

My question is still what we could have reasonably expected for him in trade. Buffalo's been trying to trade a defenseman for scoring for months now and hasn't had any success. Carolina too, to a lesser extent. As such I'm not sure that we would've gotten much offensive help for Spurgeon, at least nothing that's an upgrade on what we already have too much of.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm still kind of ambivalent about it. I don't love the contract but I don't hate it. I think Spurgeon's a great player, but we're one of the few teams in the league that could subtract him without really missing a beat.

My question is still what we could have reasonably expected for him in trade. Buffalo's been trying to trade a defenseman for scoring for months now and hasn't had any success. Carolina too, to a lesser extent. As such I'm not sure that we would've gotten much offensive help for Spurgeon, at least nothing that's an upgrade on what we already have too much of.

Is Spurgeon + Eriksson Ek the same to Toronto as Barrie + Kerfoot? That's the closest deal that was actually made. Hard to speculate otherwise.

Spurgeon and Kadri were beaten to death around here for months and years, and our side was always pretty overwhelmingly against it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Is Spurgeon + Eriksson Ek the same to Toronto as Barrie + Kerfoot? That's the closest deal that was actually made. Hard to speculate otherwise.

Spurgeon and Kadri were beaten to death around here for months and years, and our side was always pretty overwhelmingly against it.
Ugh.... Spurgeon for Kadri is one that would've made the team better and I'm still glad it didn't happen. Probably a good thing I don't run a hockey team.

Reactions: AKL

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’d need to know what he could’ve fetched on the open market first. I never thought the term and AAV was good, but I don’t blame Guerin for keeping him if there wasn’t a good move to be made. However, spurgeon for Trocheck, RNH, or even Kadri, should’ve been explored.

That being said, Spurgeons contract, as well as Brodin’s improvement, has made it obvious to me that Dumba is going to be the odd man out. And, Guerin selling low on dumba could be, in my mind, a move that comes back to bite him in the ass for years.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

The fact that Menell is going to have to play third pairing until he’s like 28 is what bothers me. And that’s not even considering what Belpedio, Johansson, Johansson or anyone else is going to have to do to make the team. I don’t necessarily have issue with the 7.5x7, but when you lock it in with a NMC you’re really shooting yourself in the foot.

Same kind of deal to a lesser degree with Zuccarello. I don’t agree with the signing in the first place, but it makes it so much worse than he has a full NMC for the first three years.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ugh.... Spurgeon for Kadri is one that would've made the team better and I'm still glad it didn't happen. Probably a good thing I don't run a hockey team.

I would rather use Donato and Rask as top six centers than employ Kadri and I don’t feel bad about it.

Reactions: BlackBusa24
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->