Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XXXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
I've always been intrigued by Galchenyuk. 1st If a deal could be made a extension is a must. What would that be? 4 yrs at 6.5 or 7 mil for a 50pt 2/3 Center that doesn't play a lot of D. 2nd what is the asking price? Firstov+ Mcbain +F Johansson?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah Zucker for Gal would be overpay, and Galy looks like everything else we have, so Fiala? Donato +?
I still think that's too much for a pending UFA that's been a poor fit with the Penguins and only has 10 points this year. Rumors so far have been that Buffalo's shown the most interest and the names coming up there are guys like Jake McCabe and Connor Sheary. It also doesn't sound like the Penguins really need forwards.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Galchenyuk is still not a center, regardless of how many faceoffs he took for the Coyotes.

And you’re cracked if you think a UFA Galchenyuk gets Fiala or Donato+ or Zucker.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
You want to ruin the Zucker & Lizard bromance? They work pretty well together.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Galchenyuk is a no for me. I’d rather keep the assets and use them in a package for an actual 2C. I get looking for a potential Staal replacement this year, but I really don’t think we’re going to be breaking down people’s doors come playoff time. If we’re deep in a playoff spot at the TDL time, sure. Otherwise I’d wait for a better player to become available.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm curious; everyone seemed to be gung-ho about trading for Trocheck, even giving up guys like Greenway + Brodin for him. However, Galchenyuk is seen as a non-starter for most. Trocheck does have a 75 point season, but scored 31 goals. 1 more goal than Galchenyuk. You could also mention that Galchenyuk was bounced from one bad situation (look at how bad Montreal has been on developing players) to another (Arizona?) to another (Pittsburgh has so much depth).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm curious; everyone seemed to be gung-ho about trading for Trocheck, even giving up guys like Greenway + Brodin for him. However, Galchenyuk is seen as a non-starter for most. Trocheck does have a 75 point season, but scored 31 goals. 1 more goal than Galchenyuk. You could also mention that Galchenyuk was bounced from one bad situation (look at how bad Montreal has been on developing players) to another (Arizona?) to another (Pittsburgh has so much depth).
I think they're two different kettles of fish.
- As far as I know, Trocheck has always been a center in the NHL. Galchenyuk has bounced around between center and wing and it seems like a gamble to acquire him as anything but a stopgap at center.
- Trocheck's been a much better all-around player, especially at even strength. Galchenyuk does great on the powerplay and is kind of a disaster 5v5.
- Trocheck's contract's pretty nice and Galchenyuk's a UFA (granted he's probably not setting himself up for a huge extension or anything).

Galchenyuk's covered with question marks and Trocheck has relatively few. That said, Panthers fans seem pretty convinced that Trocheck's lost a step speed-wise this year and that that's affecting his play, so it's not all roses there either.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

You seem to be implying that if he came to Minnesota, we could develop him into a legitimate top 6 center. Because we've developed more of those than Montreal and Arizona have?

Surely that's not what you're trying to say.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Galchenyuk spent a few years at center in Montreal and seems to have spent about a quarter of his time in Arizona there. I realize that doesn't make him a "true center" any more than Donato playing between Parise and Fiala tonight makes him one, but still. 24 hours ago we were talking about Rask, Donato, Eriksson-Ek and Hartman as our centers for more than a game or two. He's at least incrementally less not-a-center than some of those guys.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Galchenyuk spent a few years at center in Montreal and seems to have spent about a quarter of his time in Arizona there. I realize that doesn't make him a "true center" any more than Donato playing between Parise and Fiala tonight makes him one, but still. 24 hours ago we were talking about Rask, Donato, Eriksson-Ek and Hartman as our centers for more than a game or two. He's at least incrementally less not-a-center than some of those guys.

Would you take Granlund back to fill in as a center for the rest of the season?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Which is the timeframe that currently matters.

He had 411 faceoffs last season and in only 72 games played. In comparison, Charlie Coyle had 481, so only 70 less face-offs than Coyle, who is now playing center AND well.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He had 411 faceoffs last season and in only 72 games played. In comparison, Charlie Coyle had 481, so only 70 less face-offs than Coyle, who is now playing center AND well.

I wouldn't choose to play Coyle as a top 6 center either, but if we're just comparing the two, Coyle is much better equipped to play center than Galchenyuk.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Taking a faceoff doesn't have a whole lot to do with being a center

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think they're two different kettles of fish.
- As far as I know, Trocheck has always been a center in the NHL. Galchenyuk has bounced around between center and wing and it seems like a gamble to acquire him as anything but a stopgap at center.

Which this team could use, especially a low-cost player. Galchenyuk has mostly played center, except for this year and one year in Montreal, which was very controversial at the time.

- Trocheck's been a much better all-around player, especially at even strength. Galchenyuk does great on the powerplay and is kind of a disaster 5v5.

He could get better. A lot of former top ranked players that 'failed' are doing better: Brett Connolly? Starting to peak. Drouin has some nice numbers as well, though he's kind of stagnated.

- Trocheck's contract's pretty nice and Galchenyuk's a UFA (granted he's probably not setting himself up for a huge extension or anything).

Depends on if Trocheck's speed comes back, but I understand this one here.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Which this team could use, especially a low-cost player. Galchenyuk has mostly played center, except for this year and one year in Montreal, which was very controversial at the time.

He could get better. A lot of former top ranked players that 'failed' are doing better: Brett Connolly? Starting to peak. Drouin has some nice numbers as well, though he's kind of stagnated.

Depends on if Trocheck's speed comes back, but I understand this one here.
Wrong

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I wouldn't choose to play Coyle as a top 6 center either, but if we're just comparing the two, Coyle is much better equipped to play center than Galchenyuk.

Except Boston has moved him up and down the roster and like his versatility. We never used him like Boston has.

Taking a faceoff doesn't have a whole lot to do with being a center

His best years have been at center. Montreal messed him up by moving him from center.

How successful has Alex Galchenyuk been at centre? - Sportsnet.ca

This was back in 2015 when they moved him from center to wing.

Looking back at Alex Galchenyuk’s time in Arizona

Galchenyuk was good with the Canadiens, including the 2015-16 season which saw him score 30 goals, but he seemed unhappy being moved to wing and his goals were starting to dip.

He prefers to be at center and the numbers don't lie. His time in Arizona was also bad, because he missed training camp.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Galchenyuk is a center, Guerin should already have a handshake agreement to acquire him as soon as he's able to, and a plan to back up a Brinks truck to re-sign him. A 25 year old, 50 point center? That's what this team needs.

Problem is he's not a center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad