Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I just don't see a whole lot of teams requiring their 1st rounders to play themselves up from the NHL 4th line. They seem to let them develop elsewhere until they're confident that they can put them in an elevated NHL role and succeed. Having Staal playing well and Koivu entrenched was a great excuse to go a little slower with Eriksson Ek.

I completely agree, I just don’t think it had THAT big of an effect in the long run. Maybe he’s a 30-40 point player instead of a 20-30?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I just don't see a whole lot of teams requiring their 1st rounders to play themselves up from the NHL 4th line. They seem to let them develop elsewhere until they're confident that they can put them in an elevated NHL role and succeed. Having Staal playing well and Koivu entrenched was a great excuse to go a little slower with Eriksson Ek.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but going into 2017-18 he was the de facto 3C with Cullen as the 4C. Granted the entire bottom-6 was kind of a mess that year, but part of the reason for that mess was Ek. It was more of a case of him being started on the 3rd line and playing himself down to the 4th line.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I completely agree, I just don’t think it had THAT big of an effect in the long run. Maybe he’s a 30-40 point player instead of a 20-30?

10-20 points leading to however many more wins can have a pretty big effect. Maybe it leads to the 3rd line being better, Nino producing better and no Rask trade being made? Ripple effects could be anywhere.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Maybe I'm misremembering, but going into 2017-18 he was the de facto 3C with Cullen as the 4C. Granted the entire bottom-6 was kind of a mess that year, but part of the reason for that mess was Ek. It was more of a case of him being started on the 3rd line and playing himself down to the 4th line.

He was given the 3C spot and couldn't hold it. The minute he lost it, he should've skipped the 4th line and went to Iowa's #1. Finding a 4th line center, even mid-season, isn't all that hard.

TwiztedHeat

Feb 6, 2010
Only way I'd be interested in Hayes is if we somehow got out of the Rask deal. Otherwise, no thanks. No more middle 6/bottom 6 overpaid Cs. I'd much rather go big for Duchene than try for Hayes.

Reactions: 57special

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think it's really telling when you send down three big name prospects and only one of them is doing extremely well in the playoffs. Expected more from Donato and Greenway. I mean, how the hell does Greenway only have 8 shots in 7 games? This guy should be able to bully people and is the person some want to sign to a long term deal... Why? People are enamored with size. Donato, only 13 shots in 7 games? This is a guy who had 64 shots in 22 games for the Minnesota Wild.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think it's really telling when you send down three big name prospects and only one of them is doing extremely well in the playoffs. Expected more from Donato and Greenway. I mean, how the hell does Greenway only have 8 shots in 7 games? This guy should be able to bully people and is the person some want to sign to a long term deal... Why? People are enamored with size. Donato, only 13 shots in 7 games? This is a guy who had 64 shots in 22 games for the Minnesota Wild.

I didn't expect Greenway and Donato to light the playoffs on fire, they're still young guys barely past their AHL days. I have to say, I've been extremely impressed with Kunin. This is more than I expected from him. It's given me hope that he could become a legit 1RW or 2C.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I’ve always been high on Kunin, and his recent production is more of what I would’ve expected. I thought he was underperforming early in the year.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’ve always been high on Kunin, and his recent production is more of what I would’ve expected. I thought he was underperforming early in the year.

He was coming off of a lost offseason and still not 100% healthy due to his knee injury.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think the young guys are just tired. I am still extremely high on Greenway, like Kunin going forward, not sure about Donato, but at least like his competitive attitude.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think the young guys are just tired. I am still extremely high on Greenway, like Kunin going forward, not sure about Donato, but at least like his competitive attitude.
I’m not high on Greenway at all. Dude just comes off as nothing more than a bigger version of “average” Charlie Coyle. 35-45 pt player. Maybe a peak season in the 50 point range if he gets a sniper on his line. I’ll be shocked if he tops 20 goals. Kunin’s footspeed will always hold him back. He’s got the shot of a first liner but lacks in a lot of other areas. Donato, I love that he’s willing to shoot whenever and wherever.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’m not high on Greenway at all. Dude just comes off as nothing more than a bigger version of “average” Charlie Coyle. 35-45 pt player. Maybe a peak season in the 50 point range if he gets a sniper on his line. I’ll be shocked if he tops 20 goals. Kunin’s footspeed will always hold him back. He’s got the shot of a first liner but lacks in a lot of other areas. Donato, I love that he’s willing to shoot whenever and wherever.

That's a pretty good get with a 2nd round pick.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Yeah I don’t expect Greenway to be any more than that either, but that’s also the perfect third liner that can play second in a pinch. Plus he uses his size better than Coyle. Very satisfied with where he’s at and where he’s going. Anything past what you said he’ll be is just a cherry on top.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That's a pretty good get with a 2nd round pick.
I won't deny he was a good pick but I think some people believe he is going to be a difference maker. I just don't see it.
Yeah I don’t expect Greenway to be any more than that either, but that’s also the perfect third liner that can play second in a pinch. Plus he uses his size better than Coyle. Very satisfied with where he’s at and where he’s going. Anything past what you said he’ll be is just a cherry on top.
That's just it though, I don't see him going any higher. My description is my opinion of his ceiling.

I question whether we should trade Greenway. We've got LWers. We need centers. If I'm GMPF, I call up whoever and ask about Necas/Zacha/Jost/Frost/Suzuki/etc and see if there is a deal in there.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I won't deny he was a good pick but I think some people believe he is going to be a difference maker. I just don't see it.

That's just it though, I don't see him going any higher. My description is my opinion of his ceiling.

I question whether we should trade Greenway. We've got LWers. We need centers. If I'm GMPF, I call up whoever and ask about Necas/Zacha/Jost/Frost/Suzuki/etc and see if there is a deal in there.
I'd be very reluctant to trade Greenway before we see him play a playoff series (Winnipeg not withstanding). Regardless of if he turns into a goalscorer or puts up a lot of regular season points, it's hard for me to not think back to the WJC where he was an absolute force down low. He's not there yet in the NHL but we are seeing him learn to use his size and reach effectively. If he can continue that he's going to be a player that's more valuable than his point totals might imply.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek and Greenway are going to be the two way types of players that will do the dirty work for a one way type such as Fiala/Donato. Kunin is somewhere in between.

Having said that, it's not written in stone that Fiala and Donato are going to be better offensive players than Greenway or Ek, which speaks volumes about our forward talent.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ek and Greenway are going to be the two way types of players that will do the dirty work for a one way type such as Fiala/Donato. Kunin is somewhere in between.

Having said that, it's not written in stone that Fiala and Donato are going to be better offensive players than Greenway or Ek, which speaks volumes about our forward talent.

It just says we have a lot of guys in the same boat. Doesn’t necessarily indicate how good they are.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Operation Trade Everyone to Edmonton

Spurgeon (50% retained) + Zucker + Eriksson-Ek (~$9.5m in cap)

for

EDM 2019 1st + Larsson + Puljujarvi + Gagner ($8.85 in cap)

Without losing much cap space Edmonton adds a top-pairing RD, a second-line LW and a bottom-6 center. Spurgeon will need an extension, but may be amenable to doing so in his hometown. They give up futures with higher upside, but the additions would be a big help in not wasting more of the McDavid Years. They keep their key roster players and still have prospects like Bouchard, Yamamoto and Marody in the system.

Minnesota would be banking on getting at least one future top-6 center from the 2019 draft, and possibly two. Larsson would be a perfectly good 2nd pairing RD to pair with Brodin and should be less expensive to extend. Puljujarvi's a gamble, but one we might be justified in making. Gagner's mostly there to help balance the cap, but he could probably take Brown's spot on the 4th line.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Disappointed. The title was “Operation: Trade Everyone to Edmonton” and you only traded them 3 players.

Any way we can work Foligno, Brodin, Dubnyk, Staal and Parise in there as well?

Reactions: 57special

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

for

Without losing much cap space Edmonton adds a top-pairing RD, a second-line LW and a bottom-6 center. Spurgeon will need an extension, but may be amenable to doing so in his hometown. They give up futures with higher upside, but the additions would be a big help in not wasting more of the McDavid Years. They keep their key roster players and still have prospects like Bouchard, Yamamoto and Marody in the system.

Minnesota would be banking on getting at least one future top-6 center from the 2019 draft, and possibly two. Larsson would be a perfectly good 2nd pairing RD to pair with Brodin and should be less expensive to extend. Puljujarvi's a gamble, but one we might be justified in making. Gagner's mostly there to help balance the cap, but he could probably take Brown's spot on the 4th line.
i honestly like the trade. if it gets pulled off that would be great.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

for

So Gagner is pretty irrelevant to the whole thing, just in there for money.

Eriksson Ek ~ Puljujarvi

Even with Spurgeon at ~$6.5M extended, I'd still say he's > Larsson

And then #8 is probably > Zucker

I don't know, at the very least I'd probably need a 2020 pick in there conditional on Spurgeon's re-signing.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
So Gagner is pretty irrelevant to the whole thing, just in there for money.

Eriksson Ek ~ Puljujarvi

Even with Spurgeon at ~$6.5M extended, I'd still say he's > Larsson

And then #8 is probably > Zucker

I don't know, at the very least I'd probably need a 2020 pick in there conditional on Spurgeon's re-signing.
I was thinking of it more in terms of...

Spurgeon for #8
Zucker for Larsson
Ek for Puljujarvi
(Gagner for cap space)

One year of Spurgeon for #8 seems a little questionable for Edmonton. I think they'd be able to extend him, but question the idea that a good chance to extend a UFA really has any trade value. He'd do a world of good for them though.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

for

Pulju would have to turn into a 1st liner for this to be anything other than awful. Larsson isn't very good and would be a terrible fit here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad