Trade & Free Agency Talk XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think we underestimate how well regarded Spurgeon is by management, and IMO, rightfully so. GM's don't usually have time to trade top players for non top3 draft picks, in the hope that they develop into top players 5 years down the line. Those are the types of trades that get you fired 4 years down the line.
I don't disagree, though I think we also underestimate just how little we know about Fenton's opinions of any of the players he inherited. If he thinks he can use Spurgeon and Zucker to move this team in the direction he wants, I don't think he'll hesitate to do it. He seems utterly unconcerned with how history might judge him (which is a good thing, in my opinion).

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
I could see Fenton going for Nylander now that his value is as low as it is.
Can play both RW and C (RW is his 'main position' tho), and is right handed.

Had a big mistake yesterday, and after sitting out 1/3 of the season for an extra million and then go out and underperform all year might make them wanna part ways with him. Especially since they need cap space for Marner.

What would be fair value?

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I could see Fenton going for Nylander now that his value is as low as it is.
Can play both RW and C (RW is his 'main position' tho), and is right handed.

Had a big mistake yesterday, and after sitting out 1/3 of the season for an extra million and then go out and underperform all year might make them wanna part ways with him. Especially since they need cap space for Marner.

What would be fair value?
12oa

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder how well regarded Nylander is around the league. Overinvolved father, me first attitude, bad season, soft rep, big contract...he might be on a Black list for some teams. who needs to borrow trouble. Any trade for him would probably have to include one of Zucker or Spurgeon, and both make some sense for them.

If I was the Leafs dumping Kadri would be my 1st order of the day. What he did might've cost his team the playoffs.

I am kind of conflicted about Nylander. Just don't know if he's all that. He might have the physical talent, but his character makeup, on a scale of 1 to 10, is about a 4.
Zucker's is a 7. Spurgeon, a 9.

Reactions: Nsjohnson

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I wonder how well regarded Nylander is around the league. Overinvolved father, me first attitude, bad season, soft rep, big contract...he might be on a Black list for some teams. who needs to borrow trouble. Any trade for him would probably have to include one of Zucker or Spurgeon, and both make some sense for them.

If I was the Leafs dumping Kadri would be my 1st order of the day. What he did might've cost his team the playoffs.

I am kind of conflicted about Nylander. Just don't know if he's all that. He might have the physical talent, but his character makeup, on a scale of 1 to 10, is about a 4.
Zucker's is a 7. Spurgeon, a 9.

How is Zucker only a 7? You've heard about his off-ice stuff right?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Other than Carly being hotter than fire, I’m not aware there was off-ice stuff with Zucker?

He and Carly donate truckloads of time and money to the U of M children’s hospital, and have their own foundation or campaign about it.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How is Zucker only a 7? You've heard about his off-ice stuff right?
I'm talking on ice. I like Zucker, but he doesn't compare to Spurgeon in that regard. AFAIK, both guys are fine people off ice.

I'm too old to be making remarks about their wives.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm talking on ice. I like Zucker, but he doesn't compare to Spurgeon in that regard.

In terms of on ice character?
You can determine that by watching them play on TV? Color me impressed, cause I certainly can’t.

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't know how you can even begin to put a number to "on-ice character".
People who show up and put in a consistent and excellent effort every game, year after year. Beliveau would be a 10. Spurgeon, IMO, it as good as it gets on the Wild. He is simply a courageous player, who almost always puts in a good game. He doesn't strike me as a particularly bright guy off ice, but on ice he is very smart, and can be depended upon to make the right play.

A guy like Nylander, who seems to show up occasionally, but can't be counted on the affect the game despite having great physical talent? 4. Kent Nilsson was a famous example of a player with superb talent and skill who didn't always bring it.

Zucker has shown to be up and down with his level of play on the ice. He seems to be passionate, but takes stupid penalties at times. His concentration seems to lapse when he's off, causing him to miss on scoring chances, and be giveaway prone. When he's on, he's a real asset. I do think he always tries, but something is missing from his game. I don't know if it's preparation, or what.

Anyway, back to Nylander. At this point, he is a big question mark. I would be in favour of trading for him, just because the state of the team is such that it's not like he would wreck anything of note. I would not trade #12 for him, though. What Fenton has done(which is good) has cleared enough cap that we could take on Nylander's salary w/o sending much back. That would make Dubas's job easier, when it comes to re-signing Marner and finding a top 4 RHD.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wouldn’t mind acquiring him, but I wouldn’t trade any of 12oa, Greenway, Kunin, Donato, Fiala or Kaprizov to get it done.

Reactions: Dickie Dunn

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wouldn’t mind acquiring him, but I wouldn’t trade any of 12oa, Greenway, Kunin, Donato, Fiala or Kaprizov to get it done.
Oh, I would trade any of them but Greenway,KK, and the 12th. Fiala is like a poor man's Nylander who doesn't play C and is a LHS. Donato isn't in the same league as an athlete, and has a way lower ceiling. I think Nylander is the same age, and look what he has accomplished comparatively. Also a LHS who can't play C. Kunin would be tougher for me to trade, as he can play a bit of C and is a RHS, but I'd still move him.

I think Greenway is a unique player and would not move him. Might not score a ton, but he has a chance to be a special player. KK is our puncher's chance at relevance, as is the 12th.

I think TOR would be more interested in cheap middle six assets and dumping salary. Might also be interested in a Kunin because of his ability to play C, as I would dump Kadri ASAP...what an arse...and they would need another C.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Nylander himself is a poor mans Nylander right now. And he’s being paid like rich mans Nylander. I’m not touching that contract for anything of fair value until he proves he’s a 65-75 point player without Matthews and on a regular basis.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nylander himself is a poor mans Nylander right now. And he’s being paid like rich mans Nylander. I’m not touching that contract for anything of fair value until he proves he’s a 65-75 point player without Matthews and on a regular basis.
I think his contract is structured in a way that he is paid a lot of money by mid summer. Would make the contract more attractive from a fiscal sense, though not cap wise. Agree that he is a risk, but if he is scoring 65-75 points as player in his early 20's, then he's not available, and with the recent escalation is salaries, sure as hell not for under 7M.

He is 22yo. The same age as Fiala and Donato(he is actually older). I mean, WTH have they done?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think his contract is structured in a way that he is paid a lot of money by mid summer. Would make the contract more attractive from a fiscal sense, though not cap wise. Agree that he is a risk, but if he is scoring 65-75 points as player in his early 20's, then he's not available, and with the recent escalation is salaries, sure as hell not for under 7M.

I don’t know if it’s so much a recent escalation in salaries, or just Dubas overpaying his RFAs.

And it’s fine with me if he’s not available, let Toronto rot in their cap hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->