Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, especially with both Menell and Addison waiting in the wings. It's probably the smart thing to do at this point, as much as it might sting to see him go. Depending on how Rossi looks (if we see him) and where our and/or Pittsburgh's picks land, re-visiting Boeser could be a thing too.

I really don't like the idea of trading Dumba for Boeser, unless we can dump Zuccarello either before or shortly after. Part of that is because Boeser needs a new contract in 18 months, and it's not going to be cheap. Acknowledging that he's a good player when healthy, I really don't think it's a great idea to give a long term, high value contract to a guy who has missed a quarter of his career due to injury.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I really don't like the idea of trading Dumba for Boeser, unless we can dump Zuccarello either before or shortly after. Part of that is because Boeser needs a new contract in 18 months, and it's not going to be cheap. Acknowledging that he's a good player when healthy, I really don't think it's a great idea to give a long term, high value contract to a guy who has missed a quarter of his career due to injury.

Fair. I'm just thinking about rounding out our wingers if a) Rossi appears to be a legit center, and b) one of our 1sts puts in a spot to nab Beniers or Johnson. We'd have 3 core wingers in place with Fiala, Kaprizov and Boldy. It would open up a lot of options for the trade return.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Fair. I'm just thinking about rounding out our wingers if a) Rossi appears to be a legit center, and b) one of our 1sts puts in a spot to nab Beniers or Johnson. We'd have 3 core wingers in place with Fiala, Kaprizov and Boldy. It would open up a lot of options for the trade return.

I'm not against trading him for a winger necessarily, it's specifically the contract status and injury concerns surrounding Boeser that turn me off of him. However, I will say that trading him for an established NHL player isn't at the top of my wish list, because the cap implications between Parise and Zuccarello, and the upcoming Fiala and Kaprizov extensions, make me nervous.

Barzal not at camp? Let’s revisit

It's a non-story. NYI has 4M in cap space at this point, so they need to wait for the season to start to get money on LTIR and open up the space to sign him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not against trading him for a winger necessarily, it's specifically the contract status and injury concerns surrounding Boeser that turn me off of him. However, I will say that trading him for an established NHL player isn't at the top of my wish list, because the cap implications between Parise and Zuccarello, and the upcoming Fiala and Kaprizov extensions, make me nervous.

Also fair.

Maybe it's just the situation where we get 4 or 5 guys locked in place and then funnel 1 or 2 ELC's through the open spots for the foreseeable future (Beckman, Khus, not-yet-drafted players, etc...). Hell, that could the ticket to keeping Dumba around if guys like Rossi, Kaprizov and Boldy have reasonable 2nd contracts.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I love all three of Rossi, Johnson, and Beniers but having two of them doesn’t mean we no longer have a need at center given their youth

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I love all three of Rossi, Johnson, and Beniers but having two of them doesn’t mean we no longer have a need at center given their youth

I'm not saying it's no longer a need necessarily, but I do think that we could be at the point where Dumba trade doesn't have to be 'center or nothing'.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not saying it's no longer a need necessarily, but I do think that we could be at the point where Dumba trade doesn't have to be 'center or nothing'.
Oh yeah that makes a lot more sense I was definitely misunderstanding that then. I would partially agree with that but I would still be in favor of a package of mostly futures (4 months ago I felt a center prospect would’ve been a must but that doesn’t feel completely necessary)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
What would Greenway have to do this to season to make you think about giving Seattle the later of our two 1sts (say, >15th OA) to not take him? And by extension, not take anybody of consequence (i.e. Soucy) but mainly in regards to Greenway.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver

It's a non-story. NYI has 4M in cap space at this point, so they need to wait for the season to start to get money on LTIR and open up the space to sign him.
How is it a non-story?

Teams can go 10% over the cap up until Game 1. They can sign Barzal now. Why haven't they?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
What would Greenway have to do this to season to make you think about giving Seattle the later of our two 1sts (say, >15th OA) to not take him? And by extension, not take anybody of consequence (i.e. Soucy) but mainly in regards to Greenway.

20 goals, 50 points, with sustainable underlying numbers.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
How is it a non-story?

Teams can go 10% over the cap up until Game 1. They can sign Barzal now. Why haven't they?

Because my understanding is that would put them over on day 1 of the season and that's a no-no. I could be wrong. Regardless, unless there are actually rumors of him wanting out or requesting a trade, it's still a non-story, because NYI aren't going to trade him just for holding out. This same situation happened with Nylander, but Barzal is even more important to NYI than Nylander was to TOR.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
What's the likelihood we make a move for PLD?

The rumors are he wants a bigger stage and his qualms aren't really winning related. Does that mean his hometown of Montreal? Chicago? Or would a hockey hotbed like Minnesota suffice?

It sounds like "bigger stage" could be speak for "Columbus sucks for a 22yo millionaire". Not sure Minneapolis-St. Paul is looked at as a bigger stage, especially after the 2020 it had.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Trade Spurgeon instead of signing him to an extension, which is a defensible opinion.

I’d be very concerned about the future of this defense right now with Dumba as our #1RD. His injury made moving Spurgeon a much tougher decision. Mennell and Addison are no guarantees either to step up into a Top 4 role.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I’d be very concerned about the future of this defense right now with Dumba as our #1RD. His injury made moving Spurgeon a much tougher decision. Mennell and Addison are no guarantees either to step up into a Top 4 role.

That it did, and it’s the main reason I don’t blame Guerin’s for doing it.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
What's the likelihood we make a move for PLD?

The rumors are he wants a bigger stage and his qualms aren't really winning related. Does that mean his hometown of Montreal? Chicago? Or would a hockey hotbed like Minnesota suffice?

It sounds like "bigger stage" could be speak for "Columbus sucks for a 22yo millionaire". Not sure Minneapolis-St. Paul is looked at as a bigger stage, especially after the 2020 it had.

id think his chances of being traded would be lower now that he re-signed.

Reactions: MuckOG

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta

Consistent play throughout the season and a significant decrease in taking lazy penalties. His play in the “playoffs” was atrocious, not that many other players were good...

If it looks like he busted his ass this off-season and he starts dominating play with his size, I won’t be too concerned with the numbers he puts up.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Consistent play throughout the season and a significant decrease in taking lazy penalties. His play in the “playoffs” was atrocious, not that many other players were good...

If it looks like he busted his ass this off-season and he starts dominating play with his size, I won’t be too concerned with the numbers he puts up.

Yeah, I'm not really focused on his stat line, I would be more concerned with how he looks on the ice on a nightly basis. That said, it would have to be a pretty substantial step forward for me to want to give up a 1st to protect him. Because it's only one season, I still wouldn't be confident that it's something he can sustain for many years, versus just one good season. Remembering here that guys like Nino and Coyle only really had one good season (statistically) while being relatively pedestrian for the rest of their careers.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, I'm not really focused on his stat line, I would be more concerned with how he looks on the ice on a nightly basis. That said, it would have to be a pretty substantial step forward for me to want to give up a 1st to protect him. Because it's only one season, I still wouldn't be confident that it's something he can sustain for many years, versus just one good season. Remembering here that guys like Nino and Coyle only really had one good season (statistically) while being relatively pedestrian for the rest of their careers.

The only reason I’d be comfortable with the 1st is in that scenario where Soucy is safe as well. Although, that’s also kinda contingent on how his play is this season too. He got a pretty steep 3-yr contract for 1 season of good play on a very expensive defense.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
id think his chances of being traded would be lower now that he re-signed.
You think Columbus is gonna let that fester in the locker room for two years until he's arbitration eligible?

The faster they move him out the better. The players know he doesn't want to be there. The organization knows too. There's no way they don't move him earlier than later.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You think Columbus is gonna let that fester in the locker room for two years until he's arbitration eligible?

The faster they move him out the better. The players know he doesn't want to be there. The organization knows too. There's no way they don't move him earlier than later.

I think they're not in as big a hurry as you think they are, and I don't think they're going to send him out unless they get the return they want. Unless he's a huge locker room cancer about it, which I doubt, I don't think it's going to have a very large adverse effect. And Columbus still has all the control here.

Reactions: GuerinUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad