Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XL

Status
Not open for further replies.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Out of guys we’ve already drafted who will be at WJC next year?

Marat
RoR
Novak

Hunt might have an outside shot?

Regardless I’m in the same boat as you with accumulating picks, but this will probably be the last year I’d want us to be a seller at the deadline.
ROR is technically not a lock, but I’d bet he makes it. They’ll have Drysdale and Guhle returning, and probably Lambos and Clarke as high 1sts coming into the mix. O’Rourke should definelty slot in as the 5th defenseman with potential to be a top 4 guy if one of the newcomers isn’t ready.

As for the bold(y)ed, I hope so as well but I’m not sure that it will be. I don’t want to rush this rebuild and I think we’re still missing a few peices. Ideally, we draft another top centreman and a defenseman who projects as a number 1 in the NHL before we move forward, and I don’t know that we get both or even one of them in this draft. Historically, Stanley cup winning teams have had a number one center, an elite winger, a number one defenseman, a number 2 defenseman, and a number 1 goalie. The goalie I think we can find via trade or other avenues, and maybe Hunter Jones is that guy, but undoubtedly I think we still have some peices that we need to add before I start putting the complementary pieces in place. For me, this is how I’m drawing it up:

u25 core (will be probably u28/u29 core before they’re all solid NHLers, Parise/Suter pretty much off the books either via LTIR or paying to have someone take them)
Boldy-Rossi-Fiala
Comp. Player-Need-Kaprizov
Good GM can fill in the bottom 6 with Davy trading and signings, whether you think that’s Guerin our not is your own choice

For defenseman, we don’t have that number one guy of the future, and I’m going to fill in the long term contracts we have as well.

Need-Addison
Brodin-Spurgeon
O’Rourke-Comp. player

Goaltending is its own animal.

ctmagic

Jan 15, 2013
It’d sure be nice to have a 1c around the same age to pair with Kap/Fiala. Don’t want to waste any of their prime years. PLD fits everything we need and paired with those wingers, I think he has elite potential. If there’s a chance to form a high powered fist line, you gotta do it.

That being said, these rumors that PLD wants out may be true, but I highly doubt Columbus management is ready to do anything now. Will be interesting to see what happens with the situation if the Blue Jackets struggle this year.

For now I’ll just keep dreaming what this team could look like with our strong D and a real center or two.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Regardless I’m in the same boat as you with accumulating picks, but this will probably be the last year I’d want us to be a seller at the deadline.

I'm in agreement there, as long as some of the acquisitions are 2022 or 23 picks. Next year's draft looks really weak thus far and I think it'll be a couple years before we really have a chance to be competitive again; quite possibly not until Suter & Parise are off the books and our prospects from 21/22 have worked their way up the ladder.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
ROR is technically not a lock, but I’d bet he makes it. They’ll have Drysdale and Guhle returning, and probably Lambos and Clarke as high 1sts coming into the mix. O’Rourke should definelty slot in as the 5th defenseman with potential to be a top 4 guy if one of the newcomers isn’t ready.

As for the bold(y)ed, I hope so as well but I’m not sure that it will be. I don’t want to rush this rebuild and I think we’re still missing a few peices. Ideally, we draft another top centreman and a defenseman who projects as a number 1 in the NHL before we move forward, and I don’t know that we get both or even one of them in this draft. Historically, Stanley cup winning teams have had a number one center, an elite winger, a number one defenseman, a number 2 defenseman, and a number 1 goalie. The goalie I think we can find via trade or other avenues, and maybe Hunter Jones is that guy, but undoubtedly I think we still have some peices that we need to add before I start putting the complementary pieces in place. For me, this is how I’m drawing it up:

u25 core (will be probably u28/u29 core before they’re all solid NHLers, Parise/Suter pretty much off the books either via LTIR or paying to have someone take them)
Boldy-Rossi-Fiala
Comp. Player-Need-Kaprizov
Good GM can fill in the bottom 6 with Davy trading and signings, whether you think that’s Guerin our not is your own choice

For defenseman, we don’t have that number one guy of the future, and I’m going to fill in the long term contracts we have as well.

Need-Addison
Brodin-Spurgeon
O’Rourke-Comp. player

Goaltending is its own animal.
I mean I would love to be in the mix for Wright/Lambert and Bedard/Michkov, I just think our D will still be good/great and our forwards much improved.

Who do we even take if we get the number one pick? I’m waiting for someone to jump out (it would help when the CHL restarts) but I’ve never had a feeling that there is a clear number one.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I know it’s fun to dream about two high first round picks and the prospects that come along with them but to me this team looks closer to a playoff team than one in the mix for a top 10, let alone top 5 pick. And while it may prove to be a stupid statement, I feel this team has a better chance to be a playoff team than the Pens.

I don’t think there’s a reality this team is in the mix with the teams competing for a top pick if Fiala and Kaprizov are what Wild fans think they are, goaltending is improved from league worst, and the current Wild defensemen exist.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Not only do they need to figure out the center situation, but we might also be in need of a 3rd line RW.

This is how I have the depth of the team for the 21-22 season (Greenway taken in ED)

LW:
Kaprizov
Boldy
Parise
Beckman

C:
Ek
Rossi
Sturm
Khovanov (?)

RW:
Fiala
Zuccarello
X
X

—————————————

Depending on how this season goes, I really wouldn’t mind having Foligno, Bonino, and Hartman back.

Foligno seems to be a great personality for the locker room, he brings a needed edge to his game, and he’s overall a perfect bottom 6 LW (which we really don’t have).

I don’t know much about Bonino’s game, but from what I’ve read, he seems like he’d be a perfect 3C and PK. If Ek shows promise in his offensive abilities this season as a Top 6 C, Bonino would be a great replacement for filling those defensive assignments.

Hartman is the lowest priority of the 3 because I think we could find a player of his caliber anywhere. But I do like that Hartman can chip in offensively on a 4th line role. A line of Foligno - Sturm - Hartman is something I’d be happy to see stick around (if it’s affordable).
—————————————

If Parise/Zucc are both on this team in the 21-22 season, then I think Boldy has to be tried out at center. Not that Parise or Zucc should block his development at wing, but we need a solution at center. Boldy plays a game that really looks like he could have the makings of a great two-way center.

21-22 lines could look something like:

Kap - Rossi - Fiala
Beckman - Ek - Zucc
Parise - Boldy - X
Foligno - Bonino/Sturm - Hartman

Alternatively w/ Boldy at wing:

Kap/Zucc - Rossi - Fiala
Boldy - Ek - Zucc/Kap
Parise - Bonino - Beckman
Foligno - Sturm - Hartman

That lineup fits very comfortably under a flat cap. We could make a play for RNH, which I think they should do.

One last parting thought. Every time I do these lineup projections, I can’t help but think that the Zucc signing legitimately might be the worst one in Wild history. Such a short-sighted move to give up that much cap flexibility for 5 years with the type of roster turnover we were experiencing. Hopefully he proves me wrong this season.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Beckman won't be on this team next season

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Beckman won't be on this team next season

He’s definitely the least likely to end up on the team, given he’s not getting to play right now. Would love to see how he followed up this past WHL season. He could use a year in the AHL though to adjust to men’s league. If not the 21-22 season, I’m pretty confident he’ll be on the 22-23 team. Which might be the best case since we’d have the ability to move Zucc at that time.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Zuccarello or Bjugstad?

I can’t think of many good combinations of players that Zucc would work well with on a 3rd line. If Bonino is 3C, I think Zucc almost has to stay in the Top 6 to avoid the defensive responsibilities of that 3rd line.

Bjugstad I could definitely see fitting there though. Very interested to see how his game looks because he’s always somebody I wanted.

Think BG has the right mindset for this season. We’ll be able to really see what does and doesn’t work.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Does Boldy really have a shot at center? I thought the Wild made it pretty clear he will be a winger.

Didn’t Bombardir pretty much tell Russo, yeah we see him playing center in college but here we have him penciled in as a wing?

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Does Boldy really have a shot at center? I thought the Wild made it pretty clear he will be a winger.

Didn’t Bombardir pretty much tell Russo, yeah we see him playing center in college but here we have him penciled in as a wing?

On this team the only player I'd be shocked if they lined up at Center is Talbot...

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I don't see Boldy being moved to center. Seems more suited to play along the wall and down low.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

Can’t really make definitive conclusions until he’s been playing for us. He seems like he’ll be the better player on the wing but he’s a good enough playmaker and smart enough to be tried at center

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
BTW; PLD is on the market. I don't think Minnesota has the horses in the race to get that one, but just FYI.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
I don’t see us in on that. It would have to start with Rossi and I don’t see us giving him up right now when he may be coming into the league ready to give us 3 seasons on his ELC. I wouldn’t want to give him up either considering what he would provide if he hits his ceiling. I’d much rather hold onto our best center prospect in a long time and multiple first round picks. There is too much uncertainty with this roster and the current league landscape to know where those picks might end up. I’d definitely be interested if we are talking about dealing from a position of strength and staring with Dumba as the main piece. That is much better for us from an expansion standpoint but I don’t see it being of any interest to Columbus.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Really looking forward to seeing if Dumba can recoup some trade value with a decent outing this year. I know if he’s playing well we won’t want to trade him, but the reality is that we still should. Regardless of if you’d rather have moved a different defenseman, Guerin locked Brodin and Spurgeon in, so Dumba’s the odd man out. For me, I’d like to get a young forward back or a collection of picks and a top prospect. With Hamilton on his way out of Carolina, you maybe sell them in Dumba for Necas and he can be a big peice to the puzzle in our top 6, even if that’s probably at RW. Maybe there’s something there around the draft based on Dumba+ for Dubois. I know they have Savard, but if Dumba returns to form I don’t think Savard should be stopping them from aquiring another good RD. Maybe we take Savard back even. Maybe you can get a player like Frost+ from Philly. If St. Louis starts to feel missing Pietrangelo, maybe we could get Robert Thomas (I adore him). I’d like to see 10 goals and 34 points from Dumba (15 goal, 50 point pace).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Really looking forward to seeing if Dumba can recoup some trade value with a decent outing this year. I know if he’s playing well we won’t want to trade him, but the reality is that we still should. Regardless of if you’d rather have moved a different defenseman, Guerin locked Brodin and Spurgeon in, so Dumba’s the odd man out. For me, I’d like to get a young forward back or a collection of picks and a top prospect. With Hamilton on his way out of Carolina, you maybe sell them in Dumba for Necas and he can be a big peice to the puzzle in our top 6, even if that’s probably at RW. Maybe there’s something there around the draft based on Dumba+ for Dubois. I know they have Savard, but if Dumba returns to form I don’t think Savard should be stopping them from aquiring another good RD. Maybe we take Savard back even. Maybe you can get a player like Frost+ from Philly. If St. Louis starts to feel missing Pietrangelo, maybe we could get Robert Thomas (I adore him). I’d like to see 10 goals and 34 points from Dumba (15 goal, 50 point pace).

Yeah, especially with both Menell and Addison waiting in the wings. It's probably the smart thing to do at this point, as much as it might sting to see him go. Depending on how Rossi looks (if we see him) and where our and/or Pittsburgh's picks land, re-visiting Boeser could be a thing too.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, especially with both Menell and Addison waiting in the wings. It's probably the smart thing to do at this point, as much as it might sting to see him go. Depending on how Rossi looks (if we see him) and where our and/or Pittsburgh's picks land, re-visiting Boeser could be a thing too.
It's really the only thing to do, because the smart thing to do has come and gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad