GDT: Trade Deadline

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
I don't think he's broken out yet. He was an offensive force in the NCAA and the AHL, he could still turn into a solid 35pt guy given good minutes and capable linemates.

Mmm... don't think I would call him an offensive force at those levels.

However, I am very happy with the trade. Shore's underlying numbers are very good (unlike most of our bottom 6 forwards) and he should help out the PK a ton.

It's also not out of the question that he could reach 25 points as soon as next season.

Not the sexiest name ever but he's a solid, solid addition to the bottom of our lineup

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016

However, I am very happy with the trade. Shore's underlying numbers are very good (unlike most of our bottom 6 forwards) and he should help out the PK a ton.

It's also not out of the question that he could reach 25 points as soon as next season.

Not the sexiest name ever but he's a solid, solid addition to the bottom of our lineup

It's basically like the Lazar trade, but a seventh instead of a second. And he's better than Lazar. Really nice value add.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

5th on the team as a rookie in scoring the AHL. 42 points in 38 games regular season in the AHL in his second pro season, and 18 points in 19 playoff games while winning the AHL Championship qualifies as dominant imo.

Reactions: Cyrano

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
It's basically like the Lazar trade, but a seventh instead of a second. And he's better than Lazar. Really nice value add.

Exactly. Quite a bit better than Lazar. I'm excited to see how much he improves the bottom 6!

5th on the team as a rookie in scoring the AHL. 42 points in 38 games regular season in the AHL in his second pro season, and 18 points in 19 playoff games while winning the AHL Championship qualifies as dominant imo.

Dominant, maybe. But calling him dominant is different than calling him an offensive force

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Honestly, given the prices for a top 6 upgrade, I'm really pleased with our TDL. We gave up a 7th for Stewart and Shore.

Shore is a solid possession guy and should work well on the 4th line under GGs system. He's also another RHS and he'll be a solid pker for us. I bet he's an upgrade on Stajan.

Stewart is someone I always wanted on the cheap and we got him for free, awesome! He addresses a few needs if he comes in motivated. He's got size, grit, and a cannon of a shot. Nobody is gonna mess with this team when he's in the lineup (I can't wait till we play ANA). I would also like to see him on the PP with his RHS, I'm betting he'll help an already improving power play.

If everything clicks, this really upgrades our bottom six, which as I mentioned earlier, was our 2nd greatest hole. We were not able to upgrade our top six at a reasonable cost, so we take zero risk in trying to upgrade our bottom six. Great TDL day for us imo.

My lines once Ferland returns:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Ferland-Janko-Stewart
Lazar-Shore-Brouwer

The bad news of the day is that Tre was looking for a goalie at the right price. This leads me to believe Smith may be done...If that is the case, our season may be short lived unless Gillies/Rittich catch fire. So the fact we didn't do anything major at the deadline to bring in a rental is likely a smart move given the risk of potentially not having our team MVP for the rest of the season.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Nick Shore didn't produce a high NHLe until his last AHL year. He could break out, but he has a semi-lack of individual shooting so.... i wouldn't count on it. If nothing else, he's still a v solid bottom 6er.
Don’t mind Stewart I guess. What’s his contract like?
1.15M, turns UFA in July. Inconsequential as long as they don't extend him.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Sounds more like a problem with your standards then. Really doesn't get much better in the AHL for a non career AHL vet.

He was 22 when he had those stats. Max Reinhart was 21 when he led our AHL team in scoring with 63 points in 66 games and I didn't come away thinking "Man, Reinhart is an offensive force".

Those are impressive AHL point totals but not offensive force point totals.

I don't know why you're trying to argue that anyways. It's not like be brought him in to be a big contributer offensively

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Ferland-Janko-Stewart would a bruising line but I fear how often they would be exposed due to their slowness.

I really like the Shore pickup. Smart one by Treliving

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
So is Shore our Stamkos/Ovechkin one-timer from the top of the left circle on the PP? :sarcasm:

Flames management must read my posts :naughty:

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Basically a weak-sauce day. Not that I know much about Shore except that he's a right hand shot as per Tre.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Think Shore could be Stajan's replacement as the 4th line centre next season. Not much offense but solid on the PK and a RHS.

This is my feeling.
I really like the Flames TDL this year.

You gave up essentially the cheapest asset possible outside of a conditional 7th, in a 7th. You picked up two right handed shots that could help your bottom 6.

Chris Stewart will be a nice little add on the 3rd line. Size, grit, and doesn't skate like he's in quick sand (he's not a bad skater as he's being painted)... Shore is a perfect 4th liner, and a guy that I see has some upside. The kid's a possession machine (on the Kings, he was one of those guys that everyone was a better possession player with when he's on the ice with them).

Calgary wasn't going to find the perfect fit today. Considering the two guys I thought were best in Tatar and Nyquist... Tatar got a kings' ransom; just not worth the assets today.

I like the depth moves.

Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - Stewart
Stajan - Shore - Lazar

Yes please. That bottom 6 has all kinds of size and speed.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
This is my feeling.
I really like the Flames TDL this year.

You gave up essentially the cheapest asset possible outside of a conditional 7th, in a 7th. You picked up two right handed shots that could help your bottom 6.

Chris Stewart will be a nice little add on the 3rd line. Size, grit, and doesn't skate like he's in quick sand (he's not a bad skater as he's being painted)... Shore is a perfect 4th liner, and a guy that I see has some upside. The kid's a possession machine (on the Kings, he was one of those guys that everyone was a better possession player with when he's on the ice with them).

Calgary wasn't going to find the perfect fit today. Considering the two guys I thought were best in Tatar and Nyquist... Tatar got a kings' ransom; just not worth the assets today.

I like the depth moves.

Bennett - Monahan - Gaudreau
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Jankowski - Stewart
Stajan - Shore - Lazar

Yes please. That bottom 6 has all kinds of size and speed.

Where's Brouwer? He's better than both Stewart and Lazar.

Reactions: Sk8M8

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Always played well against Calgary.
So does Stewart :laugh:
I was gonna say... Shore was someone who always stuck out to me when we played the Kings. And Stewart has been f***in pain since his Av days.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I was gonna say... Shore was someone who always stuck out to me when we played the Kings. And Stewart has been ****in pain since his Av days.

I like the additions.
I understand where Brad was coming from.

There was no point in trading away more assets to miss the playoffs maybe. Instead you got two guys, one we've had interest in for what seems like forever (Stewart) and the other has some upside.

I would have been unhappy with the prices teams paid for guys like Nash, Kane or even someone like Hartman (who would have been a good pickup).

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
I like the pick ups today, like everyone has said is that both are depth moves and I hope they fire both stajan and brower into the sun. A younger and faster 4th line will help and put pk will be better with shore on it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I like the additions.
I understand where Brad was coming from.

There was no point in trading away more assets to miss the playoffs maybe. Instead you got two guys, one we've had interest in for what seems like forever (Stewart) and the other has some upside.

I would have been unhappy with the prices teams paid for guys like Nash, Kane or even someone like Hartman (who would have been a good pickup).

I do agree, under our current circumstances.. Now, had we not spent the assets to acquire Hamomic I'd be feeling a bit different today, but that's a different story.

Our additions basically cost us nothing, hard to be mad at that.

Reactions: Cyrano

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->