GDT: Trade Deadline

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
That Tatar trade is crazy.

Not happy that McD went to the Lightning. Hope they got hosed in that trade.

No idea why the Flames picked up Nick Shore for a 7th.

ThatHighGuy

Jul 11, 2014
Canaduh
Was hoping we could take a swing at Leivo from the Leafs. Seems like the kind of guy who could potentially “break out” if given more ice time. Also is a right handed shot

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I really think we could've used some help this trade deadline but prices were high. I guess there wasn't much appetite for Brodie/Bennett/Ferland for a non-rental. Not really surprising. Teams don't usually want our struggling players (in TJ and Sams case that is).

Lottery will be painful to watch if we miss.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Much more likely the Flames were never shopping the likes of Brodie/Ferland/Bennett. The echo chamber around those guys has gotten insane.

Treliving wanted to improve the team, not make it worse or at best, make lateral deals for the sake of making deals.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
Much more likely the Flames were never shopping the likes of Brodie/Ferland/Bennett. The echo chamber around those guys has gotten insane.

Treliving wanted to improve the team, not make it worse or at best, make lateral deals for the sake of making deals.

This team wins more games without Brodie imo.

He's really terrible since they stopped focusing on stretch passes and D jumping in on the rush. His offense is gone, he's not great defensively, he's small and he's prone to game costing mistakes.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Puzzling that we picked up ashore after already picking up Stewart... Need a top 6 forward? Let's just clog that bottom 6 up a little more. We'll be alright

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This team wins more games without Brodie imo.

He's really terrible since they stopped focusing on stretch passes and D jumping in on the rush. His offense is gone, he's not great defensively, he's small and he's prone to game costing mistakes.
I disagree entirely. The hysteria around Brodie is really just bizarre; he's still roughly a 0.5 ppg and while he's had some bad gaffes defensively, people act like he's the illicit love child of Butler and Anders Eriksson.

But the real sticking point is that trading Brodie for a forward would have meant Bartkowski in the lineup as a regular. Unless someone like Kucherov was coming back you'd have to be utterly delusional to think that would improve the team in anyway shape or form. It's one step forward and ten steps backwards.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Looks like we finally have filled the void left by David Jones.

Kind of disappointed, team needs another producer IMO. Seeing what the VGK paid for Tatar and SJ for Kane however, not super surprised. Probably could of done better than what Van ended up getting for Vanek.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I like Nick Shore. Good rotation player. Too bad about the 7th lost and Stewart, but w/e. He's a decent add.

Some... interesting moves happened today for sure. At first I thought NYR won that deal, but I didn't see the Miller inclusion. Tatar was a lot more pricey than I imagined

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
As I expected, the flames have no real assets for a deal
Not sure why anyone expected something

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Can't say it was a bad deadline as we didn't overpay for a bad fit which would have been the worst thing we could have done but we had clear holes and didn't really fill them.

I was hoping there was a hockey deal out there that could have helped for this run and beyond but those deals are tough to make at the deadline.

If I thought the Stewart and Shore acquisitions were made to replace Stajan and Brouwer I likely give Treliving a B+ but I doubt either of those guys sit as they seem to be the golden boys of the team despite repeatedly being two of the worst guys out there. So based on a heavy dose of Brouwer and Stajan still around I would say Treliving gets a C.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Not sure why people are down on the Shore acquisition. He's still young and was once a highly touted prospect and we got him for nothing. Fantastic value add by Treliving, and even if Shore stays nothing but a bottom six C we come out ahead, a 7th for an NHLer is a great deal.

Reactions: Calculon

Aug 3, 2010
San Jose with Kane now. A little worried that teams around the Flames with the exception of Anaheim, got better.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Think Shore could be Stajan's replacement as the 4th line centre next season. Not much offense but solid on the PK and a RHS.

I don't think he's broken out yet. He was an offensive force in the NCAA and the AHL, he could still turn into a solid 35pt guy given good minutes and capable linemates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->